GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

the decision doesn't need to be made for 3 months so why does he need to do it now? Before a coaching staff is hired?

Idk, just looking for something concrete from Whaley. Ideally the GM and new coach are in unison on their football/team building philosphy.

Plus, we probably need to stick with Tyrod, as the other options out there are really limited.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction:

Doug Whaley will say the following or a version of the following:

"We like to say that we let the information make the decision."

"to be clear, we don't actually let the information make the decision, but it's something we like to say."

in case any of you miss the presser...here are some are Whaley's remarks:

we are obviously disappointed with the outcome of our season.

our entire focus will be on getting to the second season of playoffs.

we will conduct an exhaustive search for a new head coach.

no decision has been made on the future of tyrod taylor.

we are going to develop our draft board like we always do. research every position from top to bottom.

we are in full evaluation mode regarding all of our free agents.

we are going to leave all options on the table.

Well I don't have to waste my afternoon now. I think you nailed it

Not sure I understand why posters rag on the media in this thread. The Bills org deserves what grief they get.

Question:

If Doug Whaley has a bad press conference, will he try to claim that he was not really at the press conference?

Will he say that Buddy was impersonating him at the press conference?

Will he say that someone else was in charge of scheduling the press conference, but the next press conference will be better because he is now in charge of scheduling them?

Will he claim that he was misquoted when he said that he and Rex completed each other's sentences and that he was so against Rex being hired that he threatened to quit?

If asked about whether he was the source for Jason LaCanfora, will Doug respond: Jason LaCanWho?

When is the presser?

i think that someone said 2:00.

I would not be surprised if Doug shows up at 1:00 and invokes the 15 minute rule (when a teacher is more than 15 minutes late) and leaves. "Hey guys, where were you?"

The only thing i want to see Whaley do is take a definitive stand on Tyrod. Does Whaley believe in him or not. Will he be back or not. No wishy washy doublespeak. Forget if a new coach wants him, does WHALEY want him. A descision has to be made, dont leave Tyrod and the fans twisting in the wind for 3 more months on it.

If that's the only thing you want to see, then I hope you're disappointed because it really should be the call of the new coach. Why is this so hard for people to understand? A lot of the calls Whaley has made over the last 3 drafts and in keeping or releasing players are influenced by the coach. That's how it has to be. It's all over the media that Rex was going to Clemson games and drooling over Shaq Lawson, but drafting him is now 100% on Whaley. Well, it was Whaley's call, but it seems pretty clear Rex influenced it. Likewise Ragland, Rex was quoted drooling over Ragland as being a player in the "Buddy Ryan Mould", obviously he had strong input into where Ragland was on the draft board.

And even if a decision has been made, why on earth announce it now? It's a possibility that Tyrod won't pass his March 11th physical and the Bills will owe him $27.5M if they don't pick up his option, in which case the Bills will obviously keep him because why not if you're paying him? and people would then scream at them for "lieing" and "dishonesty" and crow about them "backtracking" if the announcement is after the hiring of a new coach.

Why should he do that? Isn't that the call of the new head coach?

It absolutely should be, the new coach and the OC he brings in. The only thing I can imagine as less attractive than a job with a football team that doesn't have a successful, established starting QB is a job with a football team that is locked into paying an unconventional QB a salary that will preclude other choices.

i think that someone said 2:00.

I would not be surprised if Doug shows up at 1:00 and invokes the 15 minute rule (when a teacher is more than 15 minutes late) and leaves. "Hey guys, where were you?"

I would be surprised if that happened.

Should be a laugh. Jerry has his questions ready to roll with

yep...someone let the idiot in. I wish some one at TBN would hire an NFL coordinator in the off season to explain how the game works to this group of writers. They are brutal, clueless, childish, and unprofessional. There in depth stories consist of retweeting national "insiders" just an extremely weak group to cover the Bills.

I would be surprised if that happened.

My attempt at humor did not live up to your lofty level. Oh well, sorry about that.

How about this, I "would not be surprised" if Doug is wearing brown pants (reference to an old joke) and makes an arse out of himself (with the help of our esteemed Buffalo media).

I "would not be surprised" if this is a real cluster f*&k.

Idk, just looking for something concrete from Whaley. Ideally the GM and new coach are in unison on their football/team building philosphy.

Plus, we probably need to stick with Tyrod, as the other options out there are really limited.

The other options out there are limited, but there are some. Landry Jones or Mike Glennon will be the pick of the 2nd tier FA crop and will be looking to land a gig with a chance to start, as Taylor was 2 years ago. Possibly Foles - Smith is looking pretty good, and the Chiefs will owe Foles $10.75M with nothing guaranteed, which is a lot of cap to tie up in a backup. Floating him as a trade or cutting him loose seems likely. Possibly Romo, if the Cowboys look to trade him - he's long in the tooth and fragile, and I worry about Bledsoe 2.0, but he's good. Bradford seems less likely and less desireable, but if the Vikings believe Bridgewater is a safe bet to come back they'd be paying Bradford a lot to sit on the bench.

They really need to make a coaching decision first and then, as with all personnel decisions, take the coaches' perceived needs and preferences into account.

My attempt at humor did not live up to your lofty level. Oh well, sorry about that.

How about this, I "would not be surprised" if Doug is wearing brown pants (reference to an old joke) and makes an arse out of himself (with the help of our esteemed Buffalo media).

Whaley should def. have on his brown pants. Red shirt also appropriate, over the Kevlar vest and the chain mail.

You mean Whaley might not win the press conference? Do you know anyone who could win the press conference?

Whaley should def. have on his brown pants. Red shirt also appropriate, over the Kevlar vest and the chain mail.

Thanks. You know that joke as well.

I should have added the red shirt etc.

Well done.

The other options out there are limited, but there are some. Landry Jones or Mike Glennon will be the pick of the 2nd tier FA crop and will be looking to land a gig with a chance to start, as Taylor was 2 years ago. Possibly Foles - Smith is looking pretty good, and the Chiefs will owe Foles $10.75M with nothing guaranteed, which is a lot of cap to tie up in a backup. Floating him as a trade or cutting him loose seems likely. Possibly Romo, if the Cowboys look to trade him - he's long in the tooth and fragile, and I worry about Bledsoe 2.0, but he's good. Bradford seems less likely and less desireable, but if the Vikings believe Bridgewater is a safe bet to come back they'd be paying Bradford a lot to sit on the bench.

They really need to make a coaching decision first and then, as with all personnel decisions, take the coaches' perceived needs and preferences into account.

Landry Jones barely beat the Browns yesterday

Glennon looks like a lateral move from Tyrod

Foles, lateral move

Romo we all know would never come here

I just view it as Tyrod or bust.

The last thing Whaley will say concretely today is what's going to happen with Tyrod.