TBDers tailgate featured on Viceland Show!

ricojes

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Kenny's dedication- that he goes to every game and such- but am I the only one who finds the ketchup and mustard part of his shtick more than a little moronic? Like it's not funny, it's just bizarre. He doesn't have to do that to be a tailgate legend, he already is one. What is he thinking and feeling when he's cleaning up after doing it? The whole thing is just weird. Like I'll go on a diatribe to a non-Bills fan about how legendary Bills tailgating is and then I get to that part of it and people will respond with simple questions like "why?" and I have no answers for them. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I respect Kenny's dedication- that he goes to every game and such- but am I the only one who finds the ketchup and mustard part of his shtick more than a little moronic? Like it's not funny, it's just bizarre. He doesn't have to do that to be a tailgate legend, he already is one. What is he thinking and feeling when he's cleaning up after doing it? The whole thing is just weird. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Yeah, you probably are.

Is it something I have to witness to understand how awesome it is? I've been to the lot- everything else about his setup is cool- but you're saying the ketchup and mustard thing is not weird at all, it's only awesome?

I know Kenny fairly well, spending time with him on Saturday's, Sundays, after everyone has left the lot we do a cool down/reflection of the day at the BTI and I did his roof on his house. Kenny does the K&M for the tailgaters. They would be disappointed if he stop it and Kenny is to nice of a guy to do that. The K&M leds into a group rally with the Bills Shout song playing and the tailgating family dancing. Kenny confided to me last game. A woman came up to him, placed a small container of her husband ashes in his pocket so that he could be part of the K&M. And yes you have to witness it. It never gets old. Don't forget to dance.

I respect Kenny's dedication- that he goes to every game and such- but am I the only one who finds the ketchup and mustard part of his shtick more than a little moronic? Like it's not funny, it's just bizarre. He doesn't have to do that to be a tailgate legend, he already is one. What is he thinking and feeling when he's cleaning up after doing it? The whole thing is just weird. Like I'll go on a diatribe to a non-Bills fan about how legendary Bills tailgating is and then I get to that part of it and people will respond with simple questions like "why?" and I have no answers for them. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

You're not. I'm sure there is a story behind it and it sits well with the other tailgators. But I would imagine the rest of the country watching it thinks it's ridiculous.

This was shot at the Bills home opener which just so happened to be the TBDAHOT. And yep a couple of TBDers are in the promo. Can you pick any of them out?

Uhhhh, I think I saw Hammer in there? And, for the record, the entire Vermont crew was stoked to see that cameo! :D

Can't wait to see the full show, I think I'm in the background a bit since I was dragging them around the Lot to the good food before the K&M ceremony...

I know Kenny fairly well, spending time with him on Saturday's, Sundays, after everyone has left the lot we do a cool down/reflection of the day at the BTI and I did his roof on his house. Kenny does the K&M for the tailgaters. They would be disappointed if he stop it and Kenny is to nice of a guy to do that. The K&M leds into a group rally with the Bills Shout song playing and the tailgating family dancing. Kenny confided to me last game. A woman came up to him, placed a small container of her husband ashes in his pocket so that he could be part of the K&M. And yes you have to witness it. It never gets old. Don't forget to dance.

I am not denying he is a good man. And that is a heartwarming story to be certain. But man oh man, when I go, please spread my ashes over the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone or something.

And that's the other tailgaters' problem if they want to see another guy mercilessly doused in ketchup and mustard in freezing conditions and then have to clean up (that's another question I have- what does the clean up process entail?) Does Kenny derive any satisfaction from being doused in ketchup and mustard- like is it a weird fetish?- or is it purely for others' satisfaction?

You're not. I'm sure there is a story behind it and it sits well with the other tailgators. But I would imagine the rest of the country watching it thinks it's ridiculous.

So ridiculous that school teachers and principals have using been using this for book reading challenges.

The K&M is part of the tradition...why question it?

BTW, hate to admit the knucklehead Jet fan Hammer is kicking out was with us...a friend of my nephew from UB, first time I had met him. Thankfully Hammer knocked some sense in him, he came back and had a two-hour nap and plenty of water, and was a perfect gentleman and tailgater after that scolding!

Kenny is a really great guy. Down to earth, die hard as they come. I actually think his routine is something people look forward to as part of a "tradition" of sorts. If he didn't do it...people would ask why (99% would anyway). In a day when guys are crashing into burning tables, banging their skulls into buses or drinking vodka from some chick's ass...Kenny is a throwback to what good tailgating is all about.

I am not denying he is a good man. And that is a heartwarming story to be certain. But man oh man, when I go, please spread my ashes over the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone or something.

And that's the other tailgaters' problem if they want to see another guy mercilessly doused in ketchup and mustard in freezing conditions and then have to clean up (that's another question I have- what does the clean up process entail?) Does Kenny derive any satisfaction from being doused in ketchup and mustard- like is it a weird fetish?- or is it purely for others' satisfaction?

We can shoot your ashes out of a shirt cannon over Hammers Lot! Others satisfaction as I implied. He can't wait for his kid to take over. Clean up takes about 4 minutes.

Have a family member or close friend douse you with a bottle of K&M, then see how you feel.

We can shoot your ashes out of a shirt cannon over Hammers Lot! Others satisfaction as I implied. He can't wait for his kid to take over. Clean up takes about 4 minutes.

How the heck does it only take 4 minutes to clean up? The guy is soaked in ketchup/mustard. I would think a full blown shower is in order, unless he goes unto the game with mustard stains on his beard.

I think it is ridiculous too, but I think a lot of things his group does are kind of crazy, like the way they cook, keeping the pinto running etc, drinking shots out of a bowling ball... But with that being said, I have never heard a bad word said about Kenny from anyone ever in the parking lot, the guy still seems like he loves doing it, he has a great national following & he obviously is a diehard Bills fan so I say more power to him.

How the heck does it only take 4 minutes to clean up? The guy is soaked in ketchup/mustard. I would think a full blown shower is in order, unless he goes unto the game with mustard stains on his beard.

He wears an oversized t-shirt that catches most of the K&M. I think there is a portable shower bag for his hair and face. After hundreds of times, he has it down.

Just wanted to make sure people know that I don't think Kenny is a bad guy or that the ketchup and mustard routine is nothing but goofy, even positive energy. I just think that the staunch defenders may have been around it long enough that they don't realize just how bizarre it seems to someone who is not familiar with the ritual. Like try explaining it to someone who has no idea about it sometime. And also, yes, how in god's name can the cleanup only take four minutes!?!

Like so many traditions, you can ask:

"Is it fun" - Probably not for Kenny

"Does it make sense?" - No

"Is it necessary?" - No

But people often remember to ask "Is it important?". I hope this helps.

Great response.

Uhhhh, I think I saw Hammer in there? And, for the record, the entire Vermont crew was stoked to see that cameo! :D

Can't wait to see the full show, I think I'm in the background a bit since I was dragging them around the Lot to the good food before the K&M ceremony...

Sorry to say I beat you to it as after they wired me up Mead and the TBD crew was the very next stop. Kenny and his brother Tom has the cleanup down pat. Right after Kenny is done with the photo ops, Tom dressed in a rain coat pours "Warm" water on shirtless Kenny. Is there a mild detergent in the water I do not know but one would think as after I did the K&M once it was a B word cleaning up with cold water from the outside faucet at my house.

What does that mean?

Kids read so many books and reach a goal, they get to spray ketchup on the teacher or principal.! Also I know the crew was at a couple of places (Bar Bill for Beef on Weck, Louie's Hot Dogs, cd release party For a Hard Core Punk Band 👎) so the episode will be more than about tailgating. Edited by Hammered a Lot

I'm 4 or 5 cars up from the ketchup and mustard every home game, have been for ages. I've seen the ceremony enough that I don't really watch it anymore, instead I watch the people around it. It's fun to watch the reactions, people get excited, cellphones are out taking pictures, people want photos with Kenny, the crowd cheers. Fans that may only make it to a handful of Bills games in their lives make a point of being there for ketchup.

There is a story behind it, Kenny's told me a few times, but I'm not great with remembering fine details so I'll leave the story telling to someone else.

On the road Kenny just does the bowling ball shots. He was with us in SF and Oakland in the past and I had met him in Phoenix and San Diego.

He offered the bowling ball shots to the Raiders fans around us in the lot and they enjoyed it. No problems when you offer them shots of a hideous Polish cherry liquor.

Edited by Wacka

There is a story behind it, Kenny's told me a few times, but I'm not great with remembering fine details so I'll leave the story telling to someone else.

The basic details from what I was told is that the original intent was to get the ketchup on the burger without getting any on Kenny.

I don't now if i ever posted this here or not...but I got married 10 years ago to a beautiful woman who had an 7 year old daughter. Having been single for a very long time before that, I was on a healthy stretch of going to 2-3 home games a year (I live 6 hrs away). I enjoyed many a good K/M spectacle and amore than a few bowling ball shots over that stretch.

Anyway, in an attempt to bond with my new stepdaughter, I rustled up some amusing youtube vids of Ken at "work." Her 7-year-old self thought it was hilarious of course- so much so that we subsequently organized our first annual family ketchup and mustard battle...to be contested each year on New Year's Eve. It was just the three of us, but we had a hell of a good time.

10 years and three sons later, there will be 6 of us taking part in "KMB-11" on December 31st.

So is it bizarre? I guess...but it is way more funny and fun. We have our laughs and clean up and we are almost always in bed asleep before midnight. the pictures get out and people's jaws drop a little when they saw our 4, 5 and 7 year old boys hosed down with K&M last year, but I've definitely made Bills fans out fo them, so how bad could it be.

To the guy who started this thread: Lighten up. I really don't give $h!t about what anyone else thinks of our goofy Bills fan traditions and neither should you. We're sort of a cult anyway, right?

Edited by jester43

I don't now if i ever posted this here or not...but I got married 10 years ago to a beautiful woman who had an 7 year old daughter. Having been single for a very long time before that, I was on a healthy stretch of going to 2-3 home games a year (I live 6 hrs away). I enjoyed many a good K/M spectacle and amore than a few bowling ball shots over that stretch.

Anyway, in an attempt to bond with my new stepdaughter, I rustled up some amusing youtube vids of Ken at "work." Her 7-year-old self thought it was hilarious of course- so much so that we subsequently organized our first annual family ketchup and mustard battle...to be contested each year on New Year's Eve. It was just the three of us, but we had a hell of a good time.

10 years and three sons later, there will be 6 of us taking part in "KMB-11" on December 31st.

So is it bizarre? I guess...but it is way more funny and fun. We have our laughs and clean up and we are almost always in bed asleep before midnight. the pictures get out and people's jaws drop a little when they saw our 4, 5 and 7 year old boys hosed down with K&M last year, but I've definitely made Bills fans out fo them, so how bad could it be.

To the guy who started this thread: Lighten up. I really don't give **** about what anyone else thinks of our goofy Bills fan traditions and neither should you. We're sort of a cult anyway, right?

Metz has a fair share of "off my lawnism" about him.

I agree as well, this whole drunken bit seems pretty stupid

To the guy who started this thread: Lighten up. I really don't give **** about what anyone else thinks of our goofy Bills fan traditions and neither should you. We're sort of a cult anyway, right?

Great story and a great tradition! And I am the OP, but I wasn't the one who questioned the K&M ceremony, I would never do that...I think it's great...

I know. It should be chicken wing sauce and blue cheese!