o-line the real problem

13player

Arguments can be made that this is the best OL we've had since the drought began. It could be the very well be the best run blocking team in the league.

For pass blocking...let's just say a lot the sacks stem from questionable decisions by #5.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I see Taylor with plenty of time to throw. Not sure what the stats say, but I would put money on the Bills being in the middle of the pack if not higher in terms of giving their QB time in the pocket!

Taylor has taken the most time in the NFL this year by a lot on average to throw the ball...it's over 3 seconds which is considered an eternity in the NFL...

In addition, at least 10 sacks have happened because Taylor tries to run and goes out of bounds behind the line instead of throwing the ball away...

There are times he does get sacked because Mills gets beaten badly, but they are not that often...all in all, he has enough to work with, he tends to hold the ball and run around a lot

Bills also rank #1 in 2nd level yards and #1 in open field yards in run blocking and have the #1 Rushing DVOA by a mile over the second place Cowboys(21.% to 13.5%) on Pro Football Outsiders...I think you are barking up the wrong tree

Edited by matter2003

If there's one group that I dont have complaints with its the OL. Were running as well as the Cowboys, the difference is Dak can spread the ball to the Zeke, Dez, Whitten, Williams, and Cole Beasley. With Tyrod its one read, and not a lot of good things if that isn't there.

He didn't turn the ball over and he was the sole reason they were able to run the ball!

You seriously think Tyrod was the sole reason the Bills could run the ball? Not giving McCoy much credit, then?

As far as pressure and sacks go, Tyrod's inability to consistently get the ball out in a reasonable amount of time is much more often the cause of problems than the OL is.

This O-line is above average to excellent at run blocking, but just average at pass blocking.

The reason the stats tell you Tyrod has so much time to throw is because he extends plays with his legs. How often

do you see him sittng back there comfortably, able to wait for a crossing route to develop or whatever? Not too often.

And I don't think it is just because he has happy feet. The pocket often collapses fast.

(Not saying it's all on the line and not Taylor. He has a lot to improve on, obviously, and a good number of sacks are due to him

holding onto the ball too long or running but not making it back to the line of scrimmage.)

But, I do agree that we should be investing in the O-line. We should definitely be looking for a center to take over for Eric

when he is done (which is probably not far off) or due to injury. Not sure about Groy yet. Ritchie probably has at least two

more years of solid play in him. Glenn is probably above average, but not top of the heap. Miller seems to be getting there,

but I haven't paid enough attention to him to know for sure. And we obviously will want to upgrade the RT position.

So, I would be all for investing in some big, nasty O-linemen to either come in and start or to groom to replace guys in the

near future. We have a good line that can make things happen especially in the run game, but I would definitely be up for

a couple of better pass blockers (and some serious coaching in that area).

The Bills have led the league in rushing yards and yards per carry for two consecutive seasons. That is an insane feat. Even more insane of a feat with an offensive line that sucks, according to the OP.

Hey, that's what lousy lines do!

WOW! I see Taylor with plenty of time to throw. Not sure what the stats say, but I would put money on the Bills being in the middle of the pack if not higher in terms of giving their QB time in the pocket!

Pro Football Focus (at least used to) keep a "Time to throw" stat for its premium subscribers. I think if one looks at the stats, one would see that Taylor has one of the longest times.

Yeah, the team leading the league in rushing, setting a franchise record for Rush TDs, leading the league in YPC by .7 yards has a bad OL?!? Now I've heard it all. Thank you for starting this thread to remind me why I've stayed away from this place. When did we lose all of our reasonable thoughts?

Remember the Bills averaged 247 yds per game against some of the leagues worst run defenses (CLE,SF,OAK,CIN) and averaged only 107 yds per game against the better run defenses (BAL,NE,PIT,SEA)

It gets tiring to hear year after year our QB sucks and the truth is our qbs have not been great the O-Line is to blame or more so Front offices failure to fix it.

The cowboys, The Redskins have young qbs and you know what else they have a great O-Line. We cant draft anymore qbs or running backs until we fix the line, Richie is old, yes he has been great but outside of this year its tough to say and we will need a new LG. Our LT is ok, not the best but for sure ok, our Centre is great but has injury issues and the RT and the RG are horrible.

the past 15 years has been bad O-Line after bad O-line and if you put any qb behind this line with the exception of the Brady or big Ben they will fail, so stop trying to address QB before you address the O-Line we need a freaking great o-Line not a good one or serviceable one.

Brady and Big Ben are freaks of nature when it comes to releasing the ball, they are so fast they make receivers better, runners better and they never have the same guys on the line, changes year after year, new receivers year after year.

If this team is serious about winning overhaul the O-line and start this year by drafting a LT in the first round and Move Cody to the RT, sign the best free agent LG and draft the best RG available in the second round, that allows Cody to help the 2nd rookie on the right and lets the free agent LG help the LT unless you can get 1 more year out of Rickie.

make those changes and then draft or sign any qb you want, that line will keep him off the ground, or at least is better poised to.

BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, QB IS NOT THE REAL PROBLEM THE O-LINE IS.

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

I've been highly critical of the Buffalo Bills offensive lines over the years and I can say that the line isn't the problem! Although, it does have its own problems with some backup players and starters on the right side. It is part of the overall problem at times.

Yes, some of the backups can hold their own against bad teams. However, RG Miller and RT Mills are simply not good enough to be starters. If the Bills had played teams more with winning records this year it would have been more obvious.

This is a run-first offense that heavily relies on the run game to ensure that the offense actually works and can score. Time and time again when opponents shut down the Bills run game those teams usually end up shutting down the entire offense as the receiver corps and QB are simply not good enough to carry the team.

Yes, the 2016 Buffalo Bills have the best rushing offense in the NFL but not the leading rusher or near the best offensive line. What this year's team is great at is pounding the bad teams with running the ball and then getting the run game shut down against some teams.

Example, 313 yards of rushing offense against the hapless 1-13 49ers, and yet only 65 rush yards against the Ravens, 86 against the NY Jets, 67 rush yards against Miami, and 67 rush yards against the Steelers.

Guess what? All four of those failures to run the ball were losses and IMHO the difference between Buffalos record in being 11-3 and 7-7.

Yes, some of the backups can hold their own against bad teams. However, RG Miller and RT Mills are simply not good enough to be starters.

You are wrong.

Miller has had an outstanding year in the run game and has improved to an average pass blocker. Mills is an average run blocker who struggles in pass pro.

Our line has been good I'd say it has been top 10 this year.

I've been highly critical of the Buffalo Bills offensive lines over the years and I can say that the line isn't the problem! Although, it does have its own problems with some backup players and starters on the right side. It is part of the overall problem at times.

Yes, some of the backups can hold their own against bad teams. However, RG Miller and RT Mills are simply not good enough to be starters. If the Bills had played teams more with winning records this year it would have been more obvious.

This is a run-first offense that heavily relies on the run game to ensure that the offense actually works and can score. Time and time again when opponents shut down the Bills run game those teams usually end up shutting down the entire offense as the receiver corps and QB are simply not good enough to carry the team.

Yes, the 2016 Buffalo Bills have the best rushing offense in the NFL but not the leading rusher or near the best offensive line. What this year's team is great at is pounding the bad teams with running the ball and then getting the run game shut down against some teams.

Example, 313 yards of rushing offense against the hapless 1-13 49ers, and yet only 65 rush yards against the Ravens, 86 against the NY Jets, 67 rush yards against Miami, and 67 rush yards against the Steelers.

Guess what? All four of those failures to run the ball were losses and IMHO the difference between Buffalos record in being 11-3 and 7-7.

They need to upgrade Mills and keep developing Miller. I think Miller has made signicant progress from his rookie year. Mills should be a backup OT. When you look at the Bills Super Bowl teams, everyone talks about Kelly, Thurman, Reed and Bruce. Their O line was awesome. The Bills current O line is pretty good. Shady makes them look better than they are imo. Wood was a pretty good center but he has had some pretty serious leg injuries. Probably need to draft a center in the next year or two. Good analysis.

In terms if of the 4 rushing failures.. the first two were pre the coordinator change. The Miami game we abandoned the run. MG was running okay they just got away from it it was ALynn's worst game as a coordinator.

Against Pitt they got down big early but I will agree the Steelers shut the run game down somewhat.