Vote on firing Rex

dayman

Rex  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Rex.

• Fire Rex before next season.
    • Retain Rex to coach next season.

I gotta go with keeping him if he finishes at 8-8 or above. Shaq and Ragland being out and Watkins injury as well as the time missed by Darius made me lower my playoff expectations. I would really expect a coach to get three or four years unless he craps the bed (2-14 for instance).

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the Browns search a couple of years ago where the settled for Pettine? By your reasoning that job should have been snapped up. There is more to it than just saying it is 1 of 32 jobs imo. Some jobs are "good jobs" like Denver with Peyton and some situations aren't like Cleveland a couple of years ago. I could be wrong and am not speaking that I think it is absolutely true but half of the fan base is so rabid for success that every single move is under the microscope. I know we love our Bills but it isn't a glamour job. How often does the team get a sit down with the top candidates. Hell it happened with the Bills where nobody wanted the job (although I think that had plenty to do with Ralph).

I hear what you're saying...

But seriously? The Browns? The biggest outlier of a open coaching situation...maybe ever? There is absolutely no comparing the cluster*** of that situation to the current Bills...It's not even close to being the same...

The Bills job may not be a glamour job...I think we agree on that much...But it's a solid organization with excellent ownership...Are their problems? You bet...But I think plenty of HC candidates will see the positives outweigh the negatives by far... B-)

Rex has clearly done a crappy job and I'm not a fan of his approach or outcome, but.................

We are NOT eliminated from the playoffs at this point in time. The odds may be lower but they are not zero and I think it is reasonable that making the playoffs could change the outcome of this. All playoff teams start with a 0-0 record once they get there. 9-7 without playoffs......I'm not sure how I'd vote but I wouldn't complain about the owner's decision either way I guess. If we lose to Miami it would mean we lost to every decent team we played ALL YEAR.

Rex has clearly done a crappy job and I'm not a fan of his approach or outcome, but.................

We are NOT eliminated from the playoffs at this point in time. The odds may be lower but they are not zero and I think it is reasonable that making the playoffs could change the outcome of this. All playoff teams start with a 0-0 record once they get there. 9-7 without playoffs......I'm not sure how I'd vote but I wouldn't complain about the owner's decision either way I guess. If we lose to Miami it would mean we lost to every decent team we played ALL YEAR.

Clearly done bad job-just curious is this based on record or defense??? What record should this team have? Would you be happy if they had beaten the steelers but lost to the rams? I think this team is about .500 with their talent and injuries. You think they're way above that?

It doesn't matter who the HC is unless they have a bonafied QB. That's my final answer. Just keep cycling through coaches, it's not the real barrier between 9-7 and 11-5.

So I don't care if they keep him or not. if there isn't an answer at the QB position they are just spinning their wheels and lighting money on fire.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It doesn't matter who the HC is unless they have a bonafied QB. That's my final answer. Just keep cycling through coaches, it's not the real barrier between 9-7 and 11-5.

So I don't care if they keep him or not. if there isn't an answer at the QB position they are just spinning their wheels and lighting money on fire.

Bradford would be a stud in this offense. Just saying.

Clearly done bad job-just curious is this based on record or defense??? What record should this team have? Would you be happy if they had beaten the steelers but lost to the rams? I think this team is about .500 with their talent and injuries. You think they're way above that?

Shirley you can't be serious. The team could have A LOT more talent if they didn't have to draft all front 7 all the time. And then still let teams run for 200+. The dancing 4-3 DE from last year got pissed, got exiled and was replaced by a first rounder. Then we drafted a "throwback" LB that nobody else wanted and a DL whose coach snickered on national TV when he was picked. And the defense promptly went out and sucked to the point where Ryan Fitzpatrick almost made the Hall of Fame in one game. He has done a crappy job.

Remember though that much of the rest of the league is also crappy, we are still technically alive and redemption is possible.

Bradford would be a stud in this offense. Just saying.

So we'd be 1st in the league in points instead of 3rd?

Shirley you can't be serious. The team could have A LOT more talent if they didn't have to draft all front 7 all the time. And then still let teams run for 200+. The dancing 4-3 DE from last year got pissed, got exiled and was replaced by a first rounder. Then we drafted a "throwback" LB that nobody else wanted and a DL whose coach snickered on national TV when he was picked. And the defense promptly went out and sucked to the point where Ryan Fitzpatrick almost made the Hall of Fame in one game. He has done a crappy job.

Remember though that much of the rest of the league is also crappy, we are still technically alive and redemption is possible.

So we'd be 1st in the league in points instead of 3rd?

yeah! exactly!!

and if we're lucky, may be we'll crack the top 29 in a passing category!!

Oy! Rex is weak in the area of game management. Our defense has withered under him. If you compared him to every other HC in the league, how many would you rather have instead of him? Belichick? Reid? Payton? Think about it. There is probably only 6 or 7 head coaches I would not pick over Rex which means he is in the bottom quarter of coaches to me. That's not going to get you to the playoffs. Rex needs to go and he should take Russ, Doug, Rob, Dennis, and Tyrod with him.

If you're going to claim that we've beaten lots of "winning record" teams based on their record at the time we played them, let's see a league wide average of that stat. Otherwise it's useless. We may have 6 and all the playoff teams have 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12.

Patriots have 6

Cowboys have 7

Steelers have 4

Ravens have 2

Patriots have 6

Cowboys have 7

Steelers have 4

Ravens have 2

Also, ppl quoting his lack of big wins for both years and against playoff teams. He doesn't get credit for beating Jets twice because didn't make playoffs but didn't make playoffs because Bills. Jets were 10-3 with Fiz (he got injured against Oakland), so #1 pretty good he beat Jets twice especially last game when defense was crazy injured and #2 Pats can lose to them last year and almost this year but biggest embarrassment in the world when Rex loses????

Rex may have f-d up a great D, but he's got a #1 pick next year and the team will improve with consistency. I think about all those horrible coaches the last decade and the stupid decisions they would make (punting from the 40) or stubbornness in not releasing coordinators (Wanstadt!), Rex really doesn't make those frustrating game day decisions - he's pretty good. Ok, we have penalties and some time management issues, but overall, are we ever screaming at the TV for obviously stupid calls? Give the guy another year.

Rex may have f-d up a great D, but he's got a #1 pick next year and the team will improve with consistency. I think about all those horrible coaches the last decade and the stupid decisions they would make (punting from the 40) or stubbornness in not releasing coordinators (Wanstadt!), Rex really doesn't make those frustrating game day decisions - he's pretty good. Ok, we have penalties and some time management issues, but overall, are we ever screaming at the TV for obviously stupid calls? Give the guy another year.

I like you

And your have fine avatar.

Go Bills !

C'mon it's never truly more of the same. The "same" for him is better than the average for the length of the drought. The odds of improving are greater with him, and the evidence for a total flame out is not yet there for a truly undisputed firing. He should get another year. The goal, at this point, is clearly to make the playoffs...it's not to have the perfect team that looks/plays/acts like we all want. Rex is the best answer to making a real push to hit our goal next year.

i agree. despite all the Rex hate on this board, 60+% will take him back. that's a mandate considering how broken Bills fans are in general. absolutely fascinating. I don't think most have an appetite to start all over again... again

i agree. despite all the Rex hate on this board, 60+% will take him back. that's a mandate considering how broken Bills fans are in general. absolutely fascinating. I don't think most have an appetite to start all over again... again

That's what it is, who wants to see Rex go and the rest of the FO remain intact? That is my biggest fear, the Pegula's could restart this whole thing and leave the same problems in place. Leave it be or burn it down when your ready.

Remember the Browns search a couple of years ago where the settled for Pettine? By your reasoning that job should have been snapped up. There is more to it than just saying it is 1 of 32 jobs imo. Some jobs are "good jobs" like Denver with Peyton and some situations aren't like Cleveland a couple of years ago. I could be wrong and am not speaking that I think it is absolutely true but half of the fan base is so rabid for success that every single move is under the microscope. I know we love our Bills but it isn't a glamour job. How often does the team get a sit down with the top candidates. Hell it happened with the Bills where nobody wanted the job (although I think that had plenty to do with Ralph).

Thanks Hokie as I was going to have to look it up. Those Charger teams were top of the conference and it was a poor move to relieve Schottenheimer of the job. It certainly did not work out for them so I don't think it can be used as an example of why this should happen it just shows that it does happen. It was the wrong move to fire Schottenheimer and the Chargers still haven't found that same success.

It did work for the Broncos a couple of years ago and I have already posted about that.

the Bills job is a 3rd tier job. this franchise has historically been a place careers go to die, players and coaches alike. There will be 5 or 6 HC openings in a couple weeks and if a guy is so wonderfully qualified, he will go somewhere else and Bills will be last choice. Bills get leftovers, just like in FA. Be careful wishing for Rex to be gone. you may very well not like what you are stuck with.....

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Oy! Rex is weak in the area of game management. Our defense has withered under him. If you compared him to every other HC in the league, how many would you rather have instead of him? Belichick? Reid? Payton? Think about it. There is probably only 6 or 7 head coaches I would not pick over Rex which means he is in the bottom quarter of coaches to me. That's not going to get you to the playoffs. Rex needs to go and he should take Russ, Doug, Rob, Dennis, and Tyrod with him.

Doug should stay; Rex MUST go, which will be a twofer because bro will go as well.

I'm amazed that 60% of us want to keep him

A lot of people on this board apparently drink Kool Aid.

Doug should stay; Rex MUST go, which will be a twofer because bro will go as well.

A lot of people on this board apparently drink Kool Aid.

. . . or believe in giving the guy a fair shot and are not much into crusades . . . .

. . . or believe in giving the guy a fair shot and are not much into crusades . . . .

Agreed that if you don't give a guy 3 years your haven't really given him a fair shot. Hell...I would argue if you don't give a guy a QB you haven't given him a fair shot (but then again, most coaches do not get a fair shot).

To those who say that Rex getting fired after just two seasons does not matter when it comes to trying to attract a replacement:

"Given that [Rex] has been 8-8 and is now 7-7 and still alive for a playoff berth, it doesn’t seem like he has gotten a fair chance.

And that perception will be a factor when it comes to the effort to hire the team’s next coach."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/23/doug-whaley-explains-teams-approach-to-rex-ryans-job-security/

Fair chance?

The Bills were built to win when Rex got here. His coaching and scheme on defense !@#$ed up a potential great season in 2015.

Going into 2015 we had a 3 way QB competition with no incumbent starter. Not sure how that was "built to win."

Fair chance?

The Bills were built to win when Rex got here. His coaching and scheme on defense !@#$ed up a potential great season in 2015.

Fair chance?

Only two years (actually less than two years if you believe the rumors).

Substandard QB play. When opposing teams readily state after games that their strategy was to make TT try to be a QB, that is a problem.

Depth of injuries and injuries to key players (WR and safeties in particular).

Suspensions.

Key defensive player deciding to go on strike because he had to cover a handful of times during the year.

If you do not believe that having key players out (e.g., Marcell, Kyle, Aaron, Cordy, Regland, Sammy, Woods - and in many cases their backups and, in some, back ups to the back ups) affects the success of a team, one only need look at the Sabres' record with and without Jack Eichel.

Edited by Peter

Fair chance?

boo freakin hoo

1 time in 10 years the Bills got to 9-7 and that guaranteed that they were going to be great in 2015? How many times do you see teams go 9-7 or better and then return to earth the following season with the same QB and HC. Just this year I can think of Carolina, Arizona, NYJ, and Bengals that had it happen to them. The Bills regressed 1 game. All of those other teams have had much worse regression. The Bills had a new HC, new QB, New offensive and defensive system and had a 1 game regression. They weren't that much worse in 2015 than they were in 2014 record wise and ultimately that is all that matters. Was the defense worse? Yes absolutely. Was the offense better? Yes. This year Rex could potentially get the team back to 8-8/9-7 again.

Fair chance?

Only two years (actually less than two years if you believe the rumors).

Substandard QB play. When opposing teams readily state after games that their strategy was to make TT try to be a QB, that is a problem.

Depth of injuries and injuries to key players (WR and safeties in particular).

Suspensions.

Key defensive player deciding to go on strike because he had to cover a handful of times during the year.

If you do not believe that having key players out (e.g., Marcell, Kyle, Aaron, Cordy, Regland, Sammy, Woods - and in many cases their backups and, in some, back ups to the back ups), one only need look at the Sabres' record with and without Jack Eichel.

What is your definition of "standard QB play," and if we never get it, will we ever be able to justify firing Rex?

boo freakin hoo

1 time in 10 years the Bills got to 9-7 and that guaranteed that they were going to be great in 2015? How many times do you see teams go 9-7 or better and then return to earth the following season with the same QB and HC. Just this year I can think of Carolina, Arizona, NYJ, and Bengals that had it happen to them. The Bills regressed 1 game. All of those other teams have had much worse regression. The Bills had a new HC, new QB, New offensive and defensive system and had a 1 game regression. They weren't that much worse in 2015 than they were in 2014 record wise and ultimately that is all that matters. Was the defense worse? Yes absolutely. Was the offense better? Yes. This year Rex could potentially get the team back to 8-8/9-7 again.

In 2014, the trajectory was in the 'up' direction. You want subsequent coaches to continue to take that team in that direction. Think Gruden after Dungy in Tampa Bay. Gruden did not build that team - it was already loaded esp on the Defensive side.

You would expect that an experienced coach takes such a team and takes them to, at a minimum, the playoffs. Two years in and we will be no better than in 2014. Also, what of Ryan's style and achievements lead you to believe that 2017 will be better ?

Nice dodge. We need a top 15 passing attack to justify firing a coach?

You asked me what I thought a standard passing attack was.

P.S. That was one of many reasons why I think he has NOT been given a fair chance. If Rex were given the time that I believe every HC should have and did not have all of the handicaps that I have mentioned, then we could have a fair evaluation. As it stands now, I think he and his staff have done well given all of these handicaps as well as the distractions that are posed by this story that is promoted by, for example, Jason La Canfora, Vic C, others at TBN, WGR, and people on this board.

P.P.S. If we went back in your timeline, how far back were you raising the issue of Rex getting fired?

In 2014, the trajectory was in the 'up' direction. You want subsequent coaches to continue to take that team in that direction. Think Gruden after Dungy in Tampa Bay. Gruden did not build that team - it was already loaded esp on the Defensive side.

You would expect that an experienced coach takes such a team and takes them to, at a minimum, the playoffs. Two years in and we will be no better than in 2014. Also, what of Ryan's style and achievements lead you to believe that 2017 will be better ?

The Bills weren't loaded though. People have to take off the homer glasses here. They had a QB battle that lasted all through training camp. What loaded team has that? The Bills had a pretty good roster. Gruden took over a team that was already a perennial playoff team that couldn't get over the hump. That isn't at all what Rex had. The Bills also had an unusually healthy 2014 which didn't repeat in 2015. Sometimes the Ball bounces that way wrt injuries.

As to what his style etc lead me to believe 201 will be better....

Ask yourself - is the Bills team better this year than it was last year? Imo it is. That shows improvement and says to me that the arrow is pointing in the right direction. I would like to see if it continues. I have said time and again if the Bills finish 7-9 fire him and I won't say boo about it. 9-7 though and I think it would be a dumb move.