Vote on firing Rex

dayman

Rex  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Rex.

• Fire Rex before next season.
    • Retain Rex to coach next season.

He hass often said his biggest regret was his handling of Wade Phillips and firing him too quickly...he learned his lesson and stayed with his coach...Dallas went 12-4 the next year and made the playoffs and are among the best teams in football this year...

* Chan Gailey, not Wade

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not excited with my vote (kind of like most presidential elections) but I voted to retain Rex.

I haven't quite given up on Rex yet, though I'm very close.

More importantly, I don't want Buffalo to be viewed as a coaching carousel. I remember when Al Davis had trouble hiring coaches partly because he meddled and partly because he didn't typically allow his coaches much time to build something good. It takes a while for a Head Coach to establish his philosophy, rebuild a culture, implement his system, get the assistant coaches he wants, and get the players from the GM he needs for his scheme.

Given all that, what coach wants to work for an owner who fires a .500 coach after two years? Most teams give a coach at least three years to build a winner. If I was a Head Coach, I'd want to know I was getting at least three years. We need Buffalo to be viewed as a place where the Head Coach gets all the resources he needs (including time) to be successful. With that reputation, we'll attract the very best coaches.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I have to admit, even though I voted to keep Rex I definitely did not think "Retain Rex" would be leading this vote after over 200 votes based on the never ending bashing on this site.

This place is a bit like sports radio. The people who call into sports radio tend to be the whingers.

I had a feeling that the number of people who wanted him fired did not correlate to the number of posts advocating that position.

The guys who have taken the lead crusading against Rex seem to post many more posts and start more threads on the subject than those on the other side of the issue.

Then again look at what happened in Cincinnati and Dallas...Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrett kept going within 8-8 for multiple seasons and people wanted to get rid of them and the owners didn't...They rewarded them with playoff appearences and while Cindy has fallen due to complete lack of talent on offense this year after they lost key weapons, Dallas has been one of the best teams in football.

Sometimes the best changes are the ones you don't make.

Marvin Lewis went 8-8 his first 2 seasons, 11-5 in season 3 and made the playoffs, followed by 8-8, 7-9 and 4-11-1...

He HAD to get fired after 1 playoff appearance in 6 years right and bottoming out with that 4 win season right? Right? Had to... Nope...he then rewarded ownership with playoffs 6 of the next 7 years.

Garrett went 8-8 3 straight years...Jones was under immense pressure to fire him but he didn't. He hass often said his biggest regret was his handling of Wade Phillips and firing him too quickly...he learned his lesson and stayed with his coach...Dallas went 12-4 the next year and made the playoffs and are among the best teams in football this year...

Perfect example of how you need to be careful...Sometimes things don't come together right away and patience can pay bigger dividends than you expect.

Good post.

The Jets stuck with Rex one year too many and that last season was an absolute carnival show included clowns and buffoons. We are in line for the same madness and I just can't face another year of his bluster and blunders.

I'm more in line with this take...

I guess things change a bit for some folks when you thump yet another crap team...

Rex is 4-11 vs teams with a winning record over almost 2 full years now...Nothing has changed really on Defense...The pass D has gotten statistically better, the run D has gotten statistically worse...19th ranked D overall last year, 16th ranked D so far this year...Why does anyone think this is going to change much in 2017?

I see the Rex situation like this...Defense is his baby...He's a self-proclaimed defensive guru and he has told us that ad nauseam...If the Defense played better in either one of these years the streak probably would have ended...And if a Rex Ryan lead team can't provide at least a Top 10 Defense, then why have Rex Ryan? Any number of DC's can land the Bills in the middle of the pack defensively, and maybe you get a HC that can provide better game planning, discipline, heck maybe even teach the importance of getting on and off the field properly...Lining up properly...How to run a hurry up...etc...etc...

I really like Rex as a person...His personality fits Buffalo and I REALLY wish he was a better HC...But he's not...And more importantly I think there is at least some evidence that his Defense, and his defensive philosophy, has been passed by the league... B-)

Rex is a very good coach, however he needs the right personnel in order to make his defense work. Think about it! Moreover, Bills had no QB, Rex did us all a favor by at least bringing in T2, who is better than what we've had since Bledsoe. Make do with what you have. No doubt, changes need to be made but not with Rex. Changes need to start with some players and perhaps GM. Example: Preston Brown is not a Ray Lewis. He's a good backup at best. We need some quicker, stronger LBs and a safety that can run and hit like a bull, and a WR.

In this years draft, I would try my best to draft Deshaun from Clemson or Kizer. That kid from NC looks good too.

Edited by JTO

This would be a logical solution.

But impossible with Rexs ego.

It would be nice if he looked in the mirror and said his defense isn't working anymore.

The only chance of this is if he really wants to win a SB that badly that he's willing to swallow his pride...........which I doubt.

As we've discussed I think he was burnt out by the end with the NYJ and came here determined to not work so hard, win or lose.

Edited by #BADOL

I'm not excited with my vote (kind of like most presidential elections) but I voted to retain Rex.

I haven't quite given up on Rex yet, though I'm very close.

More importantly, I don't want Buffalo to be viewed as a coaching carousel. I remember when Al Davis had trouble hiring coaches partly because he meddled and partly because he didn't typically allow his coaches much time to build something good. It takes a while for a Head Coach to establish his philosophy, rebuild a culture, implement his system, get the assistant coaches he wants, and get the players from the GM he needs for his scheme.

Given all that, what coach wants to work for an owner who fires a .500 coach after two years? Most teams give a coach at least three years to build a winner. If I was a Head Coach, I'd want to know I was getting at least three years. We need Buffalo to be viewed as a place where the Head Coach gets all the resources he needs (including time) to be successful. With that reputation, we'll attract the very best coaches.

As much as it kills me, I'm with you on this....

Bills fans are suckers.

A win against the Browns and some are reconsidering. Lol.

why do you post? I really am amazed. Do you gloat, feeling superior to those of us who remain. and i have read so many of your posts i have a pretty good idea of what you will say next.

You do not care for the Bills and you consider Bills fans inept " losers"

its odd.

You find ways to insult us regularly. You have made you point again and again. What do you derive from this repetition?

I tolerate most everyone one. But you are special.

I honestly wish you would go away.

would you at least consider it?

I hate to unwrap it for you, but you are not any wiser then any one else here. And no one need the insults you veil and then reveal.

Far away. very far.

Edited by 3rdand12

why do you post? I really am amazed. Do you gloat, feeling superior to those of us who remain. and i have read so many of your posts i have a pretty good idea of what you will say next.

You do not care for the Bills and you consider Bills fans inept " losers"

its odd.

You find ways to insult us regularly. You have made you point again and again. What do you derive from this repetition?

I tolerate most everyone one. But you are special.

I honestly wish you would go away.

would you at least consider it?

I hate to unwrap it for you, but you are not any wiser then any one else here. And no one need the insults you veil and then reveal.

Far away. very far.

I find it odd that Scott gets under your nerves.

It's not like he's starting threads and constructing delusional fan-hating posts demanding that fans not be critical of failure etc..

Got news for you, we will be worse next year. It is a talent issue and we don't have lot of cap space or draft picks to fill all of the new holes from free agent losses and to be able to improve areas of weakness. I fear, this team sadly is starting it's decline...

I disagree. (In theory, at least) There is, IMO, a common misconception (or perhaps just a rhetorical oversight) that players don't improve from year to year. Will Kevon Seymour be a better player next year? John Miller? Nick O'Leary? Kujo? Jonathon Williams? Shaq Lawson? Justin Hunter? Plus the return of Raglund? Even Charles Clay looked a hell of a lot better towards the end of this season than he has with us previously. Will we have (finally) a healthy Sammy? Will Dez Lewis start to see his potential?

And, we have in the last few years done pretty damned well in free agency.

Way too early to be crapping on next season, dude.

Edited by Rocky Landing

If you are only playing 1 backup at a position in December, your defense is healthy.

While I consider Williams to be a big loss at safety....jmc does have a point here. All teams are playing injuries at this point in the season.

Rex Ryan's defense scheme is flawed (in my opinion)

Bills go 9-7 and sneak into playoffs. Rex and Tyrod stays.

drafting a Rex type Strong Safety and a healthy Reggie Ragland.

This is a good arguement.....I actually am trying to get someone to convince me that RR's D can work.

Preston Brown is not going to be the LB that Reggie Ragland is gonna be (imo)