Vote on firing Rex

dayman

Rex  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Rex.

• Fire Rex before next season.
    • Retain Rex to coach next season.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's retained for another year if we finish 9-7, but the stipulation has to be that he makes upgrades to the defensive coaching staff (letting Donnie Henderson go was a huge mistake), and either giving Thurman full control of the defense and letting him run it his way or letting him go and bringing in a veteran DC (unlikely with his ego). I would like to see Anthony Lynn stay and have an opportunity to implement his own offense as opposed to doing the best he could with Greg Roman's.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally torn on this. On one hand, I am totally unsatisfied with things that I would attribute to the coach. Things like plays coming in late, confusion on defense, stupid challenges (minor) and occasional punts when I would want to see us go for it. Maybe most frustrating is what seems to be the lack of ability to adjust on the fly in game. The ability to make good adjustments after the other team does.

With all that said, I am not sure we would get much better if we hired someone else. The league is littered with retreads. I think more than anything we have to solve the QB issue, and I am not sure a new coach would solve it.

Ideally, TT figures out how to read defenses and becomes decisive. That's unlikely, so while I think TT is ok, we need to find a new direction there. If we did, then all of a sudden Rex probably becomes a good coach again.

96 posters have cast votes now. More than half (52) say he should be retained.

I read somewhere last week that only two people here felt that way.

Huh.

Cat, think you are Rex supporter right? Let me lay out why i want him gone...you lay out why you want him retained?

1)Inherited a 8-7 team..#4 ranked D. Ranked 18th currently i believe

2)I believe he is 1-13 vs teams with a winning record with the Bills. Not saying that's exact, but going off my memory of last year opponents record. One could argue the only win was against a 3rd string QB that went on IR the next day..but i will give him the 1.

3) Six years straight at .500 or below

4) Adherence to a philosophy that i believe is outdated...

4) Continued communication errors, reports of lack of detail(again, only reports), and the "do i want this guy as face of franchise" effect.

5) I see very little evidence based on records from the last 25 years where sticking with a coach at or below 500 for "continuiy" sake ever results in the team have success down the road. Yes there is an example here and there..but they are the exception.

Look for your argument why to keep him!

Just remember, my Rock edutaion always better than yur Bucknell education! :w00t:

Edited by plenzmd1

Huh.

It's like watching the electoral vote count on Election Day with Trump & Clinton. The right person won there too LOL

That thread that described Bills as toxic could be right. We go through coaches every 2-3 years, average at best talent, no QB's, two coaches elect to leave. So dump Rex, next coach knows he gets two years and no QB. It's a losing position

I'll go a step further and blame the media for poisoning and sabotaging the Bills efforts. All day every day they rag on the team, and that "toxic" spills over into the fanbase

I voted to fire - because if I was in charge I would fire him and I would have fired him after year 1.

I do actually think he has done a better job this year and I wouldn't be as angry if he was retained as I was last year... so long as the organisational dysfunction was resovled by having him report directly to the General Manager. But I do think the end is nigh and he has nobody to blame but himself. Not Mario, not Jim Schwartz, not Greg Roman, not Tyrod Taylor, not Doug Whaley or Doug Marrone or Russ Brandon anyone else he has attempted to shift blame onto at any stage in the past 2 years.

Cat, think you are Rex supporter right? Let me lay out why i want him gone...you lay out why you want him retained?

1)Inherited a 8-7 team..#4 ranked D. Ranked 18th currently i believe 14th in points allowed, 16th in yards and I wouldn't be shocked to see both of these rankings rise after the final two games. His inability to sustain a dominant defense is frustrating, to be sure. But I've detailed countless times why a setback was inevitable. It's still very frustrating, of course, more on this later.

2)I believe he is 1-13 vs teams with a winning record with the Bills. Not saying that's exact, but going off my memory of last year opponents record. One could argue the only win was against a 3rd string QB that went on IR the next day..but i will give him the 1. Yep, we destroy the teams we're better than and we wilt against comparable opponents. But we've had the 31/32nd passing attack for two straight seasons. To an exceptionally measurable extent, an NFL HC is only as good as his QB. Our offensive balance is entirely out of whack. I don't believe the results fall directly at the feet of the HC when our QB has proven so incredibly limited.

3) Six years straight at .500 or below See above.

4) Adherence to a philosophy that i believe is outdated...Which philosophy is that? You might have schematic beef against the defense, but I don't believe his pathway to success is a deterrent. All we need is a top-18 QB. Been saying it since the 2015 offseason. It's not too much to ask for. Show me the teams that have had more success than he has without one.

4) Continued communication errors, reports of lack of detail(again, only reports), and the "do i want this guy as face of franchise" effect. Won't dispute this for a second. He seems to skimp on details, and that's been my beef with his hiring since day one.

5) I see very little evidence based on records from the last 25 years where sticking with a coach at or below 500 for "continuiy" sake ever results in the team have success down the road. Yes there is an example here and there..but they are the exception. Really? Jason Garret says hello. So do the 15-1 Ron Rivera-led Carolina Panthers of 2015.

Look for your argument why to keep him!

Just remember, my Rock edutaion always better than yur Bucknell education! :w00t:(rme) :nana:

Argument to keep him: same as it's been since last year: why fire the coach when the quarterback is your impediment to success. We can chicken or egg this thing all you want, but I haven't changed my stance on this since 2006 when I first signed up for this board.

It's been a god damned carousel of HC's in Buffalo, we're 4-3, now we're 3-4, oop, back to 4-3 again, let's try 3-4 again...what's it gotten us?

The argument for continuity anymore is simply an argument against upheaval. The argument against upheaval: it's the only thing we actually have tried, and what the hell has it gotten us?

Meanwhile: we've had serious performance issues on the field at safety and QB this year. You might believe the HC should be blamed for this, I don't. Quarterbacks hide deficiencies all over the field, and the inverse is also true. The Pats* don't break stride if Dareus is suspended, the loss of Aaron Williams doesn't hurt as bad, they can manage with a scrap heap of WR's, why? GOAT QB. We don't have that luxury. We don't even have a QB who breaks the top 25 THIS year, let alone all time. So when other areas of the roster start going south, it's magnified for us. And I just don't put that on the coach.

I think we're close. I think we just need an efficient, reliable QB and we're right in the thick of it. Hell, we could be playing the first meaningful week 17 game in over a decade this year without one! Going through another HC upheaval doesn't seem appropriate at this time.

I voted to fire - because if I was in charge I would fire him and I would have fired him after year 1.

I do actually think he has done a better job this year and I wouldn't be as angry if he was retained as I was last year... so long as the organisational dysfunction was resovled by having him report directly to the General Manager. But I do think the end is nigh and he has nobody to blame but himself. Not Mario, not Jim Schwartz, not Greg Roman, not Tyrod Taylor, not Doug Whaley or Doug Marrone or Russ Brandon anyone else he has attempted to shift blame onto at any stage in the past 2 years.

YES! 1,000,000 times YES!

It's like watching the electoral vote count on Election Day with Trump & Clinton. The right person won there too LOL

That thread that described Bills as toxic could be right. We go through coaches every 2-3 years, average at best talent, no QB's, two coaches elect to leave. So dump Rex, next coach knows he gets two years and no QB. It's a losing position

I'll go a step further and blame the media for poisoning and sabotaging the Bills efforts. All day every day they rag on the team, and that "toxic" spills over into the fanbase

I've got a half-baked theory on the media that I'll share when all this noise quiets down and we can do a little hindsight autopsy.

Cat..the Philosophy for me is more on the overall theme...run, play defence, don't turn the ball over. I know the Broncos did it last year, but D is just SOOO HARD to maintain. I believe our record against good teams is a direct result of that philosophy...good teams score, force you to pass...

As you mentioned, the run/pass ratio out of whack...but I think that is intentional. And like you said, we can chicken/egg it all day long...is it cause the QB stinks they run so much? Could be.

In terms of the QB...on that we can agree!

So next question..would you want Rex to stay if he insists on haveing TT back next year?

In terms of the coaches..Garret and Pete Carrol were ones that were kept with less than stellar first two years...but that's about it. Way more you can point to that get fired after year 3 anyway, and just delay the inevitable

Edited by plenzmd1

Cat..the Philosophy for me is more on the overall theme...run, play defence, don't turn the ball over. I know the Broncos did it last year, but D is just SOOO HARD to maintain. I believe our record against good teams is a direct result of that philosophy...good teams score, force you to pass...

As you mentioned, the run/pass ratio out of whack...but I think that is intentional. And like you said, we can chicken/egg it all day long...is it cause the QB stinks they run so much? Could be.

In terms of the QB...on that we can agree!

So next question..would you want Rex to stay if he insists on haveing TT back next year?

Only if it means having him on a five inch leash with a viable replacement, vet, rookie or otherwise waiting to step in when he shows his same bad habits.

That said, I'd only be in support of THAT if TT's contract is aggressively re-negotiated.

So, not exactly an overwhelming "yes."

I think a clear line needs to be drawn in the sand between the GM and HC. And if the GM is telling the HC it's time to address QB, the HC has to listen. The GM should be the HC's boss, IMO.

That said, I'd only be in support of THAT if TT's contract is aggressively re-negotiated.

So, not exactly an overwhelming "yes."

I think a clear line needs to be drawn in the sand between the GM and HC. And if the GM is telling the HC it's time to address QB, the HC has to listen. The GM should be the HC's boss, IMO.

I cant believe there is any way TT renegotiates..and i am with you and all the other posters who say the HC just has to report to the GM.

And I think Rex will stay will TT, and his run first philosophy...and the wheel goes round and round.

Who the fug knows....so sick of this year after year.....

Huh.

Well losing does make most act more aggressively. A win even if they wanted a loss for draft spot will always soften them.

I cant believe there is any way TT renegotiates..and i am with you and all the other posters who say the HC just has to report to the GM.

And I think Rex will stay will TT, and his run first philosophy...and the wheel goes round and round.

Who the fug knows....so sick of this year after year.....

I have zero issue with the run-first philosophy. But it doesn't work when you don't have a QB who can/will PASS to make defenses pay for not playing honest. It boggles the mind that we can rack up the kind of rushing stats we have absent that. Here are the four games when we couldn't run, let me know if you see a pattern here:

1. BAL
  2. MIA
  3. PIT
  4. NYJ*

*Yes, the DB's got torched, but the McCoy had 59 yards on 15 carries and the offense couldn't sustain jack ****, just like the second half against Miami and the fourth quarter against OAK...

Run-first works when you run the ball and KEEP the ball.

Buffalo's inability to KEEP the ball has much to do with not having a balanced attack (read: the QB can't be relied on to make plays).

Well losing does make most act more aggressively. A win even if they wanted a loss for draft spot will always soften them.

Once you get to six wins, losing to sustain your draft position is pointless.

As much as people hate the thought I believe Rex gets a 3rd year in Buffalo. I also believe we keep Tyrod. I believe Tyrod will renegotiate his deal because he knows he will not get more $ anywhere else than he will here. I truly believe that Osweiler :censored: the market up for relatively unproven QB's for the foreseeable future. I also believe that Rex convinces the FO he needs to leave his defensive staff in place. The injuries and Marcel's suspension are the keys to his argument. The Pegs will give him one last shot. Do I like the move? I don't know. I'm tired of the team losing, not making the playoffs and all, but I can't definitively pin it all on Rex at this point. I think a lot of the blame belongs to Tyrod and his inability to see open guys or realize the space they will be open then throwing the ball that way. I hang at least a couple of the losses on his inconsistency as a QB that we have all seen the last 2 seasons. Truthfully though, who are we going to get that is any better?

edited after finding out Rex's deal was for 5 years when I thought it was for 3. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o