Vote on firing Rex

dayman

Rex  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Rex.

• Fire Rex before next season.
    • Retain Rex to coach next season.

I voted to fire him. Looking at his record, his failings to elevate this defense, just shows to me it won't get better. Even if he squeaks out two wins to finish the season, 9-7 is hollow with the fact that our division record will only be 3-3 and our conference record will be 6-6, it's not good enough. He no longer seems to have the answers to why the team doesn't perform well, and yes while the team has had injuries, good coaches find ways to utilize what they do have available to win games. It has practically become a given that if we are playing a team with a better record or a playoff team that we will lose.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to have to win games against teams above us in the standings" which Rex has failed to do.

And just so we're clear, when you have the 31/32 ranked passing attack, then here's how you should evaluate coaching when facing those teams:

Loss: Should be expected

Win: Coaching triumph

So if Rex is a failure because his D isn't dominant and he's not a spectacular coach, then so be it. At least we're all clear as to what the standards are.

Edited by The Big Cat

I voted to fire him. Looking at his record, his failings to elevate this defense, just shows to me it won't get better. Even if he squeaks out two wins to finish the season, 9-7 is hollow with the fact that our division record will only be 3-3 and our conference record will be 6-6, it's not good enough. He no longer seems to have the answers to why the team doesn't perform well, and yes while the team has had injuries, good coaches find ways to utilize what they do have available to win games. It has practically become a given that if we are playing a team with a better record or a playoff team that we will lose.

He has the answer, but he isn't calling Whaley and the Front Office out; which is a good thing IMO. We also have a talent issue

I will say this, all of our other coaches in recent history, with the exception of Marrone and Mularkey who left voluntarily, have gotten at least 3 years before getting canned. While I have not been a fan of Rex he hasn't been any less deserving of a 3rd year than the rest.

The Jets stuck with Rex one year too many and that last season was an absolute carnival show included clowns and buffoons. We are in line for the same madness and I just can't face another year of his bluster and blunders.

You know why Rex got one more year???? Because he went 8-8 with Geno Smith at quarterback and Jeremy Kerley as his number one receiver. That team should've been 0-16. The next year they went 4-12 against tough schedule with even worse cornerbacks than year before.

The Jets needed just needed to fire their coach, bring in new Qb, new number one receiver, new d-lineman, new left guard, new #1,2,3 Cb and new starting safety. And they still lost to Bills twice and in week 17 lost to Bills that were missing most of their defense.

I look at coach and see if his team severely underperforms talent level. Is this team much better than 7-7 team?

To the bolded how do you feel about that 9-7? I ask because that is what everyone seems to hang their hat on for why Rex ruined this team. That 9-7 was hollow to me as the coach and qb left and it was the best record in 10 years!

I will say this, all of our other coaches in recent history, with the exception of Marrone and Mularkey who left voluntarily, have gotten at least 3 years before getting canned. While I have not been a fan of Rex he hasn't been any less deserving of a 3rd year than the rest.

Agreed. Am I impressed with Rex no not really. Is it fair to not give him 3 years because of the 15 years before he got here? Absolutely not.

The standards were set when Rex was hired.

We have no QB but let's play very good defense while running the ball effectively and having our QB play turnover free on offense.

That's been the plan the past two years. The plans gone to **** because our defense has been for the most part,

a failure in large part due to Rex and his scheme.

If they decide to make due with Rex because two years is too early to fire a coach and his .500 or better record then so be it. I think it will only delay the inevitable the next year but that's just my opinion.

Right. You deemed an above average/good defense to be a failure. Well understood at this point. No need to keep belaboring.

Just out of curiosity, with the same roster, what would our record be with say Gus Bradley as head coach? Personally, I don't see how it would be any different. Obviously, it's my opinion.

But as a guy who wanted to give Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey an extra year for continuity, the overwhelming evidence with them and Rex is they are below average head coaches who can be improved on. And with Chan and Dick, I'd argue they did more with their talent than Rex has.

Just out of curiosity, with the same roster, what would our record be with say Gus Bradley as head coach? Personally, I don't see how it would be any different. Obviously, it's my opinion.

But as a guy who wanted to give Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey an extra year for continuity, the overwhelming evidence with them and Rex is they are below average head coaches who can be improved on. And with Chan and Dick, I'd argue they did more with their talent than Rex has.

Gus Bradley was 14-48. Are you kidding me. Jacksonville has talent. Rex went 8-8 with Geno and Kerley.

How has Marrone done more? He went 15-17. Rex will be at least that. This team with injuries/suspensions is not more talented than Marrones teams and main reason for Marrone doing well was Schwartz's Defense.

Gus Bradley was 14-48. Are you kidding me. Jacksonville has talent. Rex went 8-8 with Geno and Kerley.

How has Marrone done more? He went 15-17. Rex will be at least that. This team with injuries/suspensions is not more talented than Marrones teams and main reason for Marrone doing well was Schwartz's Defense.

I'd take our talent all day over Jacksonville.

And see where the Jags defense ranks now as opposed to where they were when he took over. He improved that defense big time. Can we say the same about Rex?

I'm undecided atm... pros and cons on both sides

Yeah this is where I fall even if I have spent most of the day defending Rex.

If they go 7-9 see ya.

8-8 losing to the Jets - I'd be okay with him leaving

8-8 with a close loss to the Fins - I'd be fine either way

9-7 has to stay imo.

I'm undecided atm... pros and cons on both sides

I hate calling for a guy to get fired. I like Rex as a dude and was so excited to have him as our coach.

But he has done nothing since his first 2 years as a coach. He didn't take over a bad team. It was a 9-7 group. There is no excuse for this defense to be this bad after what he was given.

I wanted to be wrong about Rex. But I feel like if we keep him, we will be at the same exact point next year. After almost a decade cos hung, you are what you are.

If you add up his entire head coaching career, he's the living, breathing definition of mediocre. In 2010, the Jets won 11 regular season games, the most in his career. Other than that, he's won 9 once, 8 three times, 6 once and 4 once. This year he will finish between 7 and 9. History says it will be 8, which is his average over the previous 7 years. As to keeping him around for another year, he simply doesn't pass "the eye test," especially in regards to defense, his supposed area of "genius." If that's satisfying to Bills fans, then keep him. But if you'd like to see a return to the glory years, I don't believe that will ever happen with this guy.

Rex needs to get rid of his twin, hire a real DC. The numbers do not lie.

Reggie Ragland will help. Getting a safety will help. Maybe Shaq Lawson will come around.

If we dump the guy after 2 years it will be difficult to get a commitment from a new coach.

I would get rid of Whaley. Overrated. Narcissistic. Why did he cut Cockrell? That guy is a stud.

To accommodate Rex. Ross didn't fit the "genius" scheme.

This is the most plausible thing they should do, but it won't happen due to Rexs ego.

I'd retain the entire offensive staff, dump the defensive coaches, keep Tyrod and continue to scour for another QB in the draft.

4 years makes more sense.

How many years doesn't matter since a coaches salary doesn't count against the cap.

Jeff Fischer two year extension, fired the next week.