Vote on firing Rex

dayman

Rex  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Rex.

• Fire Rex before next season.
    • Retain Rex to coach next season.

I would be okay with keeping Rex if he could explain why the defense was so bad this year and how he would fix it. I'm thinking that the schemes he uses are no longer effective against modern NFL offenses. Also, he needs to address all of the communication issues and miss-calls. If he is stubborn and says my defense is fine, we just need to execute better, bye-bye!

Personally, I think that there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Rex, Rob and Thurman are all Defensive Coordinators. Rex needs to have only one. The DC needs to be held accountable. If Rex took over for Thurman mid-way through the season, then Thurman isn't the right DC. He needs to firm up Robs role as well.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very possible that Rex does not have the horses he needs to field an effective D.

I'm sure most of us remember watching the exotic and aggressive schemes he put forth with the Jets. Why does our D not look like that? Quite simply, personnel.

I see two main problems with our personnel that, IMO, is not allowing Rex and company to run their D.

1. Safety play. Complete garbage at safety is forcing Rex to rush three and protect the back end.

2. I don't think our defenders, at the key positions of LB and S, are smart enough to run the scheme. Missed assignments and confusion has forced Rex to be much less complex than we have seen when he has fielded strong D's. Maybe Ragland is the answer at LB and hopefully we can get one of the stud safeties in the draft.

I am still a fan of the Ryan defense, I just don't think we've seen it on the Bills yet. It is more dependent on specific personnel than some schemes (Schwartz), but, when you DO have the players- it's a joy to watch.

I think it is possible that Ryan and Whaley don't mix well in this regard. Whaley seems to like certain body types and physical attributes, while the mental side is more important to Ryan.

It is very possible that Rex does not have the horses he needs to field an effective D.

I'm sure most of us remember watching the exotic and aggressive schemes he put forth with the Jets. Why does our D not look like that? Quite simply, personnel.

I see two main problems with our personnel that, IMO, is not allowing Rex and company to run their D.

1. Safety play. Complete garbage at safety is forcing Rex to rush three and protect the back end.

2. I don't think our defenders, at the key positions of LB and S, are smart enough to run the scheme. Missed assignments and confusion has forced Rex to be much less complex than we have seen when he has fielded strong D's. Maybe Ragland is the answer at LB and hopefully we can get one of the stud safeties in the draft.

I am still a fan of the Ryan defense, I just don't think we've seen it on the Bills yet. It is more dependent on specific personnel than some schemes (Schwartz), but, when you DO have the players- it's a joy to watch.

I think it is possible that Ryan and Whaley don't mix well in this regard. Whaley seems to like certain body types and physical attributes, while the mental side is more important to Ryan.

Agreed on the safety front. Once Aaron Williams went down we got no plays from that position--ever.

I would be okay with keeping Rex if he could explain why the defense was so bad this year and how he would fix it. I'm thinking that the schemes he uses are no longer effective against modern NFL offenses. Also, he needs to address all of the communication issues and miss-calls. If he is stubborn and says my defense is fine, we just need to execute better, bye-bye!

Personally, I think that there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Rex, Rob and Thurman are all Defensive Coordinators. Rex needs to have only one. The DC needs to be held accountable. If Rex took over for Thurman mid-way through the season, then Thurman isn't the right DC. He needs to firm up Robs role as well.

I'm really big on continuity. I think a HC needs enough time to implement his system and philosophy, acquire the players to make that system work, and acquire the right coaches.

I also believe that the Bills will fail to attract good coaches if the organization is looked upon as a coaching carousel. We want Buffalo to be viewed as a place where coaches are given all the resources they need - including time - to be successful.

Then again, our defense has regressed and Rex is supposed to be a defensive guru.

If I'm the Pegulas, I'd ask Rex to explain to me his plans for the future. What will he do differently to make 2017 more successful. If I'm not satisfied with his answer, I ax him.

I'm really big on continuity. I think a HC needs enough time to implement his system and philosophy, acquire the players to make that system work, and acquire the right coaches.

I also believe that the Bills will fail to attract good coaches if the organization is looked upon as a coaching carousel. We want Buffalo to be viewed as a place where coaches are given all the resources they need - including time - to be successful.

Then again, our defense has regressed and Rex is supposed to be a defensive guru.

If I'm the Pegulas, I'd ask Rex to explain to me his plans for the future. What will he do differently to make 2017 more successful. If I'm not satisfied with his answer, I ax him.

That is a reasonable approach indeed. I just think I've moved on because I don't trust what he will say, nor his capablity to solve the problems. It is clear this team has made the same fundamental errors, and the defensive/Special Teams coaching has shown no ability to improve.

I just don't think the blowing the whole thing up concept is where I want to go either. I think this team is tweakable and can progress with the right moves. Don't want to kill the patient because he has a headache.