414 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Rex.

• Fire Rex before next season.
    • Retain Rex to coach next season.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id take that defense over this one any day of the week.

My eyes don't lie. That defense made plays and was a much better coached unit then this one.

And before Sunday the response was easy: yeah but they sucked against the run.

Well, amazingly--especially if you've watched this team closely for the last 12-15 years--this might actually be the worst run defense we've had.

I think the difference in 2016 is inconsistency. Some of those other defenses sucked against the run week in and week out.

We're good, then average, then great, then historically bad. And it changes week to week.

Last week I voted to keep him. Regime change not always for the good.

However, after throwing my hat across the room Saturday afternoon, I have changed my mind. My son said, "Dad, do you wear that hat just to throw across the room when you're mad at the Bills?" Yes, that's exactly why I wear it.

The gutless punt. 10 men on the field....twice. He's got 35 coaches.

He must go. Today.

However, after throwing my hat across the room Saturday afternoon, I have changed my mind. My son said, "Dad, do you wear that hat just to throw across the room when you're mad at the Bills?" Yes, that's exactly why I wear it.

He must go. Today.

I've found that the hat throw is a great coping mechanism. But the getting up out of your seat to walk across the room to sheepishly retrieve your hat might be among life's most humbling experiences.

Not voting until the season's over. If we go 9-7, I think probably keep him. If 7-9, probably fire. 8-8, also probably fire, but we shall see. I do think that even if he's kept, he should be quietly encouraged to let his brother seek greener pastures. Basically if it looks like the team has quit on him, fire him. It did pretty much look like that against Oakland and Pittsburgh, but if they close out with 3 straight wins, then it's hard to say the team quit on him.

Decided to vote a week early because my mind is made up at 7-8. Fire Rex. The punt was inexcusable, and a fireable offense.

We're good, then average, then great, then historically bad. And it changes week to week.

Sometimes quarter to quarter. I don't know that I've ever seen a team this inconsistent. We are capable of extreme highs and lows in all three phases. And that averages out to mediocre.

The one that was 20th in points, the much more important metric? Yes.

They were 12th in points per drive. Turns out having EJM, Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel at QB hurts your totals, but the averages tell a clearer story, IMO.

2015 defense was 14 and 2016 was 23 in points per drive. Looks about right.

Edited by jmc12290

Decided to vote a week early because my mind is made up at 7-8. Fire Rex. The punt was inexcusable, and a fireable offense.

Sometimes quarter to quarter. I don't know that I've ever seen a team this inconsistent. We are capable of extreme highs and lows in all three phases. And that averages out to mediocre.

Yep. See below.

The opponent has a lot to do with that.

The defense feasts on the ****ty QBs/offense's and gets their **** kicked in by the better QBs/offense's.

To an extent. Here's what the defense allowed:

@Seattle: 28 points on 247 yards in the first half, 3 points on 54 yards in the second.

@Miami: 13 points on 222 yards in the first three quarters, 14 points on 193 yards in the fourth alone.

@Oakland: 9 points on 172 yards in the 2.5 quarters, 29 points on 230 yards in the last 1.5 quarters.

To say they're flat hopeless against better teams isn't true. As Cash said, the level of inconsistency is so extreme that it happens quarter to quarter. That's absolutely the case.

Edited by The Big Cat

I've found that the hat throw is a great coping mechanism. But the getting up out of your seat to walk across the room to sheepishly retrieve your hat might be among life's most humbling experiences.

This time I stomped across the room, picked it up and put it back on. But I have done that humbling walk in the past.

Yep. See below.

@Seattle: 28 points on 247 yards in the first half, 3 points on 54 yards in the second.

@Miami: 13 points on 222 yards in the first three quarters, 14 points on 193 yards in the fourth alone.

@Oakland: 9 points on 172 yards in the 2.5 quarters, 29 points on 230 yards in the last 1.5 quarters.

To say they're flat hopeless against better teams isn't true. As Cash said, the level of inconsistency is so extreme that it happens quarter to quarter. That's absolutely the case.

It's definitely the inconsistent swings from quarter to quarter. Or drive to drive. Mind boggling.

For me though, they are the worst run defense in Bills history. Prior to 2016 the franchise gave up 3, 200 yard rushers. This when the NFL was a run first league. How Rex managed to give up 3 this season, I'll never understand. They are also the 3 highest totals for the year.

Yep. See below.

Thanks for fighting the good fight. It is very odd how some have made it their life's mission these past months to try to get Rex fired - a guy who has embraced Buffalo as no other before him and (I suspect) no other in the future.

Has everything gone as I have wanted these past two years or 17? No. I just hope that those leading the pitchfork crowd are not judged in their own jobs with the pathological crusade and obsession that I have seen here.

I still do not believe that Rex has been given enough time to be judged fairly given the injuries, suspensions etc. these past two years.

I will just incorporate my prior posts on the subject and this one from the other day:

"The Buffalo Bills lost to a very good team by 3 points in OT after fighting back to take the lead and having to overcome horrible refereeing and missed tackles.

They fought back even though there were those (in the first half) who insinuated that the team was not with Rex.

I knew that you would not disappoint and that you and the rest of the Rex Haters would try to use a 3 point loss to a good team in OT to carry on with your march to the Bastille.

I still see no reason to blow up the coaching staff and rinse and repeat. I will continue to focus on the forest rather than the trees. My views have not changed. Two years (less than two years) is not enough time to fairly evaluate Rex - especially under the circumstances of these past two years.

I am going to take the rest of this day off from arguing with the usual guys who seem to have made it their life's mission to have someone fired and enjoy my Christmas visit home to the City of Good Neighbors with my immediate and Buffalo family.

In the meantime, to ALL of you who love Buffalo, the Buffalo Bills, and Buffalo Sabres (including the pitchfork crowd):

Merry Christmas and God Bless."

Edited by Peter

a guy who has embraced Buffalo as no other before him and (I suspect) no other in the future.

Awww, he embraced Buffalo. Such a heartwarming story. I wonder if giving him $27.5M had anything to do with it?

Right, nobody in the future will embrace Pegula's money like Rex.

He must go. Today.

I wonder how many Bills fans threw something at their TV and broke the screen watching this game. I had to have restraint after the Bush reverse. The Carpenter miss following was kind of anticlamactic because of his prior miss. I didn't expect him to make it. Then the long Ajayi run. Oye!

I cant believe that many people want him back and actually stick up for his defense thats crumbles in every big game

I think Rex's son recruited classmates to vote to keep his dad. This vote makes no sense.

I wonder how many Bills fans threw something at their TV and broke the screen watching this game. I had to have restraint after the Bush reverse. The Carpenter miss following was kind of anticlamactic because of his prior miss. I didn't expect him to make it. Then the long Ajayi run. Oye!

I think Rex's son recruited classmates to vote to keep his dad. This vote makes no sense.

There's a lot of special on this board. Think they all grew up in love canal