Now we know why Hogan's offer sheet wasn't matched

YoloinOhio

How many different places around WNY have you had wings though dude? Couldn't have been that many if you think that Anchor Bar's are the best. Or maybe we just have way different ideas of what a wing is supposed to be like?

In my experience, just about any local corner tavern that offers wings, makes them at least as good as anchor bar's. Usually better.

Where did I say they were the best in WNY? I've had wings from plenty of places, many better than Anchor Bar's, but when the conversation is narrowed down to only Anchor Bar and Duff's I'm picking Anchor bar every time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Country Sweet

Jeremiahs ( been awhile )

Guidas pizza penfield

J&Ls Fairport

there are more of course.

Have Duffs Rochester on my list but, not a high priority. Decided i am going back to deep frying my own when i get my next craving. Going to Skips and score two pounds for about 6 bucks and eat them for the game. and use real blue cheese crumble to make my own dipping sauce.

F Hogan

duly noted Sir!

J&L's is the only spot I've seen that has a ketchup based sauce for the wings...sounds weird, but it's a good sauce...I really like Mark's reg. BBQ sauce, just wish they would cook the wings right...too often the wings are flabby and then they don't cover the wings with enough sauce...I hate places that don't cover the wings and serve half plain wings...I mean wtf!!

First off, I love Gabriel's Gate but YUCK on the rats (I hate them).

The ability for Hogan to rip cigarettes on a patio is a great tiebreaker!! BTW, I expect a big game from him this weekend.

Anchor Bar has good wings (especially the original). I do not think that they are the best but they are certainly good. The Colonie Lounge is the place that you go when you are too depressed to go over the falls in a barrel.

Haha. Sadly, there are more rats around most cities' restaurants you visit. I remember quite a few in NO!!!

And could someone please photoshop some cigs on smokin' Chris Hogan. I'm the only person on the planet who can't use photoshop.

And funny story about the Colonie (a place where women earn money dancing). I had a friend a couple years older than me who got into there when he was 17. He said I could go with him next time. So where are outside & the waitress he talked to last time comes out and asks how old I was. I said I was 15. She said I come in if I bought a beer.

I loved growing up in WNY.

I am going back nearly 3 decades but Elmo's was considered the prime place for wings near the UB north campus. I think I should google it and see if they are still in business.

they absolutely are. It's on my list to go to next time I'm there. Many locals rave about them.

I never cared for Duff's, going way back to the original one on Sheridan Drive. The wings are too vinegary and the overall experience is not good. Going back to the mid-70's there were many a neighborhood bars and a local Pizza/Sub shops, that would easily beat Duffs.

Anchor Bar is very good still today, better than Duffs, but there are many places better than both.

Recent trips to Buffalo take me to Gabriel's Gate. Excellent wings!

Edited by Bob in STL

Country Sweet

Guidas pizza penfield

J&Ls Fairport

I will try them sir. Got the pizza at Guida's before, good stuff. You are correct about Jeremiah's, I had forgotten about them. Haven't been there in years myself. I'd been getting them from Mark's, Salvatore's, etc. Blech.

Country Sweet

Guidas pizza penfield

J&Ls Fairport

Have Duffs Rochester on my list but, not a high priority. Decided i am going back to deep frying my own when i get my next craving. Going to Skips and score two pounds for about 6 bucks and eat them for the game. and use real blue cheese crumble to make my own dipping sauce.

F Hogan

duly noted Sir!

God, how I love Country Sweet. When I come to Rochester to visit family, sometimes it is my first stop.

Nowhere. Hot Buffalo/Garlic Parmesan or die.

Had to let a lady go because she kept ordering old bay wings. Buh bye weirdo.

Lady from Maine or something ?

Sorry boys but the smoked, slow cooked then grilled Dinosaur BBQ wango tango wings blow away the fried stuff.

Duffs and Anchor debate is meaningless.

there was a pizza joint on the corner of Baird and 31f that used to do a BBq wing. It was finished over a fire grill. Damned if i can recall the name ( since closed) Man those were a nice treat !

you know you could buy the sauce in jars at walmart right?..I actually just had some on my slice of pizza

It is never the same. Lord knows i have tried.

And their wings are huge. Major breading too.

Slathered in sauce over mac salad. Always a mess. So damn good

I can understand recommending Anchor over Duff's if you want the full experience. Based on taste alone, though, Duff's beats Anchor every time. Of course you can go to any dive bar in the city and get really good wings. Usually the more of a dive the bar is the better the wing.

Go to Duff's on Orchard Park Road!

Wings are very good & consistent - and the female servers are as good as Hooter's!

I recommend them highly!

the girls are hot but the wings at this one are tied with the one at the mall in Clarence for the worst duffs. Sheridan, dick rd, and the niagara falls blvd are the best.

He's right! Especially for suicide!

suicide at anchor bar is like chichis salsa or something. The medium wings are hotter

The Duff's in the mall in Amherst was ATROCIOUS.

Only OP for me from here on out.

these are the two worst locations

the girls are hot but the wings at this one are tied with the one at the mall in Clarence for the worst duffs. Sheridan, dick rd, and the niagara falls blvd are the best.

suicide at anchor bar is like chichis salsa or something. The medium wings are hotter

these are the two worst locations

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

have you ever had them? Serious question. If you have you would know they are weak. You are the only person I've come across to say otherwise. Last time we went there we ordered 20 suicide, 20 medium and 20 hot. The suicide were the mildest ones. We asked the server if why and he said "a lot of people complain about the suicide. You're better off getting hot with extra sauce." Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Where did I say they were the best in WNY? I've had wings from plenty of places, many better than Anchor Bar's, but when the conversation is narrowed down to only Anchor Bar and Duff's I'm picking Anchor bar every time.

Agreed! Never really been a fan of Duff's...and I think sometimes, because Anchor Bar is so iconic (as far as wings go), locals go out of their way to rip on it...but I think Anchor Bar is way better than Duffs...but I would take LaNova or Casi-de-Pizza over either...

have you ever had them? Serious question. If you have you would know they are weak. You are the only person I've come across to say otherwise. Last time we went there we ordered 20 suicide, 20 medium and 20 hot. The suicide were the mildest ones. We asked the server if why and he said "a lot of people complain about the suicide. You're better off getting hot with extra sauce."

About 100 times at the restaurant and I have 3 gallons of suicide, 2 gallons of medium and 2 gallons of hotter at home right now. I host tailgate parties all the time and serve wings. Never have I had anyone say anything close to what you are saying.

About 100 times at the restaurant and I have 3 gallons of suicide, 2 gallons of medium and 2 gallons of hotter at home right now. I host tailgate parties all the time and serve wings. Never have I had anyone say anything close to what you are saying.

odd... i have some family flying in next week and they usually get wings everyday while they're here. We'll have to try them again. We all love spicy food and were all very disappointed with anchor bar especially the suicide.

odd... i have some family flying in next week and they usually get wings everyday while they're here. We'll have to try them again. We all love spicy food and were all very disappointed with anchor bar especially the suicide.

My kids eat the medium and have on occasion tried a suicide and can't do it. Was there a month ago and my brother in law (who usually orders medium) decided to get the suicide. He was literally sweating from the pores on his nose.

post-2027-0-14086700-1477678800_thumb.jpg Did your wings looks like these?

Honestly, of all the places people swear have good wings, Gabriel's is the one place I've never had good wings once on multiple occasions to the point I gave up. Most overrated wings. As a died in the wool Buffalonian, I go anywhere someone says they're good and I've been everywhere. Gabriel's is bottom of the list, just below Anchor. So many good spots, my current faves, which are slightly off the traditional Bflo recipe, but consistently good and crispy are 911 and Kelly's Korner.

Try The Globe in E. Aurora. Buy one get one on Tuesdays

yup. They reminded me of a spicy bbq. But not the BBQ flavor. They were sweet. I'm going to have to try them again.

Hmm. I have been running "boys weekend" trips to Buffalo for 20 years, so I have literally brought hundreds of people to the Anchor Bar (everyone wants to try it once.) Can't say I have heard anyone give that description? People that don't eat a lot of hot stuff find them way too hot (and order the medium.) People that eat a lot of hot stuff (myself included) tend to find them just right. Good amount of heat, with lots of flavour. I have eaten plenty wings that are a lot hotter, but tend to be lots of heat (habanero) but less flavour. I get that people can have different tastes, but there is no way the medium is hotter than the suicide.

Edited by thebug

I'm starting to think ours were made wrong. I talked to my cousin who just recently had them and he said they didn't taste as my brother and I explained besides them not being very hot.

I have had to send them back a couple of times. Once they obviously mixed them in the same bowl that they had used for medium. I hate when it's super busy and the server lets them sit for a few minutes before bringing them to the table. steaming hot wings right from the fryer really ups the heat of the suicide sauce.....not the same when they are cold. That's why I like buying the jugs of sauce and making them myself!

you know you could buy the sauce in jars at walmart right?..I actually just had some on my slice of pizza

Only one store left. But its a classic Rochester wing

I get it shipped to me in LA once in a while. But NOTHING beats getting a Wing & Mac Snack fresh at the restaurant, which, sadly, only exists now on Mt. Hope Ave.