Should Landry Get Suspended? Update: Fined 24k

fridge

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. You can. But that doesn't mean that the hit that Landry was malicious or had intent to injure. It just means that he hit our player extremely hard and our player got hurt. It's a tough game. People get hurt all the time. AW wasn't playing heads up on the play and he suffered because of it.

incorrect. AW was looking at the play and got blindsided by a guy who targeted AW's head. Watch the video. People do get hurt. But like in Hockey, leaving your feet to target the head should = suspension. Also, AW was not near the play, and Landry came at him from the side. AW was watching the backfield, that's why he didn't see Landry.

Love Eric Wood's comments. Also note the Bills (and I would assume any team with an understanding of the Rules) teach WR's NOT to do what Landry did. Landry should be out 4+ games.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/23/eric-wood-calls-jarvis-landrys-hit-aaron-williams-garbage/

He pretty blatantly went for Williams' head. He took a cheap shot at a guy with a history of a neck injury.

If the league really wants to act like they care, that crap has to be eliminated. I was sort of disappointed to see such a little retaliation from our team.

I agree it was a cheap shot but I'm glad we didn't retaliate. All it would have most likely done is drawn a penalty on us and if that penalty would have costed us the game then Landry comes out looking like the winner.

Yes he should be suspended. I don't even know why there's an argument against this. This league is so freakin hypocritical on how they handle things and that's why no one respects Rodger Goodell or the process that they enforce. It's a joke. Those are EXACTLY the type of hits that ends careers, then after the game Landry pretty much said it wasn't a dirty play.

I agree it was a cheap shot but I'm glad we didn't retaliate. All it would have most likely done is drawn a penalty on us and if that penalty would have costed us the game then Landry comes out looking like the winner.

Sadly, as others have said, it's unlikely the league will really do anything here. If our team sent a message it would have been a motivating factor because they would be avenging their teammate and brother.

I doubt it will happen, but the Bills should make Landry fear going out on the field when they come to Buffalo later in the year.

To those guys saying that we should have retaliated:

(1) I was at the game. At the time, I did not see what had happened in real time. All I really knew was that Aaron Williams was down and hurt after the play. They did not show a replay at the stadium. I seriously doubt that the players on the field saw what happened.

(2) When Aaron was down, the refs moved our players and their players away from each other.

(3) If one of our guys on the field actually had seen what had happened and did something, I am sure it would have been our guy who got the flag.

Having said all that, I do believe:

(1) Whether you think the hit was outside the rules or not, a player does NOT do that to another player if he has any respect for the game or his fellow NFLPA members.

(2) Landry should be concerned that the legal hits on him in the re-match just might have a little more impact than they otherwise would.

Edited by Peter

the NFL needs to seriously look at this type of play and make it illegagal. They protect the QBs at all cost. WR get smashed over the middle, DBs on plays like this, and OL/DL get chopped or hit high

The disturbing part for me as it appeated Jarvis was aiming right for him so it wasnt reactionary, it seemed like a desgined play they had -- coaches also need to held accountable if that is the case. I get it's football bang-bang plays happen but to purposely go after someone high when not looking is cheap -- even if its "legal"

That was not a split second thing given the distance Landry traveled to deliver the illegal hit to the face of Aaron. He lined him up and launched his shoulder directly into his facemask. It was a premeditated and dirty hit.

You might be right 26CB. But I'm not entirely convinced so - especially given Landry's reaction - I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think Landry's dirtiness is as nearly well and clearly established as Burfict's, for example. I know if I was A Williams I'd be asking myself "How did I not see that coming?" more than I'd be asking "Why did that m*th*r f*ck*r lay such a cheap hit on me?"

You might be right 26CB. But I'm not entirely convinced so - especially given Landry's reaction - I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think Landry's dirtiness is as nearly well and clearly established as Burfict's, for example. I know if I was A Williams I'd be asking myself "How did I not see that coming?" more than I'd be asking "Why did that m*th*r f*ck*r lay such a cheap hit on me?"

Crocodile tears, my friend.

https://youtu.be/DKaE31VgXjU

I bet everyone loves this hit. Don't think Clements was fined or suspended for it either.

It was a garbage hit by Clements. No need for that. The Pats won that game, btw.

Was Tom Brady running with the football? You realize they are totally different plays, right?

no. It's really not. We're talking about a hit on a player period. The argument among most here is that it was dirty, illegal, unsafe, etc... Regardless of the circumstances of the play, it was a straight up hit directly in from of him. It wasn't from behind or on the side or anything cheap.

You can all post whatever you want. Blame Aaron Williams for not seeing a rocket come at him from almost directly in front of him. He needs to keep his head on a swivel and have more awareness of what's going on around him.

The Pats won that game, btw.

whats the difference who wins the game?

Here's a few more for you all that I'm sure you all loved so much. Because it was a Bill doing the hits.

And here's Steve talking about how euphoric it is destroying someone on the field. OMG!!!! He's a savage

Edited by mrags

no. It's really not. We're talking about a hit on a player period. The argument among most here is that it was dirty, illegal, unsafe, etc... Regardless of the circumstances of the play, it was a straight up hit directly in from of him. It wasn't from behind or on the side or anything cheap.

You can all post whatever you want. Blame Aaron Williams for not seeing a rocket come at him from almost directly in front of him. He needs to keep his head on a swivel and have more awareness of what's going on around him.

Here's a few more for you all that I'm sure you all loved so much. Because it was a Bill doing the hits.

And here's Steve talking about how euphoric it is destroying someone on the field. OMG!!!! He's a savage

Don't assume you know what I love and don't love.

Don't assume you know what I love and don't love.

yeah. Ok. I won't. But the other 84,000 people in the stands that day sure looked glad after that hit was made. High fives all around. I guess that's just the savagery at The Ralph that everyone is talking about.

Lol....posting vids of Tasker??? What a dinosaur. Get with it you dolt! That may have been another lifetime ago with all the changes to the game since Tasker played.

Bottom line is that it was a dirty hit. He got penalized and will be fined.

For the life of me I cant figure out how Landry recovered the onsides kick and one of our cowardly players didnt put their foot on his neck.

Lol....posting vids of Tasker??? What a dinosaur. Get with it you dolt! That may have been another lifetime ago with all the changes to the game since Tasker played.

Bottom line is that it was a dirty hit. He got penalized and will be fined.

For the life of me I cant figure out how Landry recovered the onsides kick and one of our cowardly players didnt put their foot on his neck.

thats not the argument. People here are seriously saying that no matter who made the hot and who it was against, it was a savage hit. "Made me sick to my stomach" was one quite I remember seeing. What's the difference if it was done yesterday or 10-30 years ago. If it's a "disgusting" and "dirty" hot now, it's a disgusting and dirty hit then. The era that it took place shouldn't make a difference.

thats not the argument. People here are seriously saying that no matter who made the hot and who it was against, it was a savage hit. "Made me sick to my stomach" was one quite I remember seeing. What's the difference if it was done yesterday or 10-30 years ago. If it's a "disgusting" and "dirty" hot now, it's a disgusting and dirty hit then. The era that it took place shouldn't make a difference.

I disagree. We know a lot more today than we did in Tasker's era about the long-term effects of head injuries.

In 1990, we would have cringed and wondered about the impact of the hit on the roster for the rest of the season. Today we know it will have significant impacts on the player's life moving forward. It's a different era.

Again, it was not necessary to deliver a head shot for Landry to have a positive impact on the play. Take the opponent out of the play, not the game.

kj

i think becoming a bit more aware of the consequences of said hits makes a pretty big difference.

i think becoming a bit more aware of the consequences of said hits makes a pretty big difference.

savage is savage regardless of the era.

People defending that hit as "clean", I hope you are trolling. That is as dirty as it gets.

says the guy with a Greg Williams profile pic. Hypocrite much?

savage is savage regardless of the era.

but ones evaluation of what is savage sure can change when you learn more about the results of the action.

and then you get to weigh that a hit from tasker was likely savage, without him being a jerk as he didnt have the same info.

see how easy it was to remove all that cognitive dissonance you seem to be having with reconciling why the discussions can vary?

but ones evaluation of what is savage sure can change when you learn more about the results of the action.

and then you get to weigh that a hit from tasker was likely savage, without him being a jerk as he didnt have the same info.

see how easy it was to remove all that cognitive dissonance you seem to be having with reconciling why the discussions can vary?

did you watch the video of Tasker talking about hitting people and what a high it gave him?

And don't think for 1 minute that players back then didn't know that hitting other players regardless of where in their body, wasn't a sure possibility of injury. They play the game for a living. They know the consequences. Always have. Or maybe Mark Kelso wore the Great Kazoo helmet because he thought it looked cool. Makes sense. Got it

I dont know about that. If youve watched Tasker call a game recently, its pretty obvious what those hits do to a person. I often wonder if hes watching the game or just yelling at the floaters that he probably sees 24/7.

Look, dirty hots are dirty hots. It doesnt take a genus to see whats what.

I dont know about that. If youve watched Tasker call a game recently, its pretty obvious what those hits do to a person. I often wonder if hes watching the game or just yelling at the floaters that he probably sees 24/7.

i don't understand your argument here. I'm not arguing what the affects can and will be on any player. I'm arguing of the hit was dirty or not. It wasn't. It was a clean hit. He went high, he probably wasn't expecting AWs head to be right where he lunged but it was. It wasn't malicious at all, he hit with his shoulder not his helmet.

Doesn't AW refer to himself as a savage?

to add to this comment (and I have no idea what AW refers to himself as) this is am exactly the type of hit that Aaron Williams has prided himself on since being in the league. He has always played with no regard for his or anyone else's safety while playing the game. And that is what has caused him to get hurt so much. He's wreckless to say the least on the field.

to add to this comment (and I have no idea what AW refers to himself as) this is am exactly the type of hit that Aaron Williams has prided himself on since being in the league. He has always played with no regard for his or anyone else's safety while playing the game. And that is what has caused him to get hurt so much. He's wreckless to say the least on the field.

Just google Aaron Williams Savages ....really puts the whole discussion into perspective.

He is not a repeat offender like Burfict and such so until he hits that status will be flagged and fined

You are correct. My point is that if they really want to stop this stuff ejection and suspension is the only way. Unless you take away playing time and game checks fines don't matter to these guys.

I don't think it was a dirty as everyone is making it out to be. In the moment, he's not thinking about things it is, he's trying to be a football player and dish it out.

You could tell he was visibly shaken by what he did.

I hope Aaron or okay but I'm not hating on the hit.

I agree.

No. It was a clean hit. With his shoulder. Not his fault Aaron Williams can't see a blocker coming at him.

Hate to say it, Williams is probably done and he should be if he wants to walk after he hangs his cleats up

I agree, that was just football.

Do you stipulate that Landry, while running, jumped and launched himself at AW's head? If so, are you just saying that it's ok because AW should have seen it coming?

i don't understand your argument here. I'm not arguing what the affects can and will be on any player. I'm arguing of the hit was dirty or not. It wasn't. It was a clean hit. He went high, he probably wasn't expecting AWs head to be right where he lunged but it was. It wasn't malicious at all, he hit with his shoulder not his helmet.

False. Landry knew his assignment on the play. He lined up his man and DECIDED to go high on him. Thats the dirty part. Williams wasnt looking (his fault) but Landry could have just laid a hard clean shot to his midsection, legs, shoulder, etc. If he does that, all this thread ends up being about is how bad of a play it is for Williams.

His decision to go high (despite all of the known info on head injuries) is why its a dirty play.