Josh McDaniels to pursue HC job in 2017

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he wasn't ready to try and make his mark. He'd only been a coordinator for 3 years - and was following in the footsteps of a bunch of other failed patriots coordinators. Also - he was filling in the shoes of Mike Shanahan. He may have tried too hard to build something

Personally - he was criticized for the orton/cutler trade... but it was probably not a bad move. Cutler stinks. And Marshall probably ran himself out of town if we're being honest. Drafting Tebow was stupid...

He's since returned to NE for the last 5 years, played the role of offensive coordinator to the best coach in the NFL, who maintains the ultimate winning culture.

But sure- lets just say he sucked in 2009 when he was 34, and go after someone else, and assume he's not qualified. Even though he was re-hired by the head coach he spurned when he left.

After adding Stafford, Calvin, and Suh. And only had a winning record in year 3 of 5 years. 1 winning record.

And I'm not for or against either - but i think they're both about as qualified candidates that you can find, and would be happy with either. This is all if and only if Rex is even fired.

Calvin was drafted in 2007. He was on the 0-16 team.

He is the top candidate on my list. I firmly believe that he's going to excel in his next chance and a HC. He will be the hottest name on the market though. You'll really have to sell him.

This ^

I accept what happened in Denver. But he had the humility to go back accept he jumped too early and carry on learning from the master.

I think he is going to be a top quality Head Coach second time round. Is there a bit if gut feeling in that? Sure. But he is my #1 candidate.

Kim & Terry - give Josh an offer he cannot refuse. http://nesn.com/2016/09/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-plans-to-leave-patriots-pursue-head-coaching-job-in-2017/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone remember what a disaster he was as a Head Coach?

How many BB coaching tree burn outs need to happen before people realize the genius in NE is BB, not his minions? Most of the people who came from that tree have gone on to be terrible HC's, so just because NE is rolling lets not lose our minds and think McDaniels is some can't miss HC prospect when he already flamed out badly, probably the worst one of them all actually, although there is a lot of competition for failed NE assistants that went on to become HC's.

Depending on the results of this season, I would be open to seeing what Schwartz can do at headcoach again. He is impressing with that Eagles defense.

Something tells me he doesn't want it though. Maybe we just didn't hear about it but did he even interview for the job after Marrone left?

Schwarz is on the short list of retreads I think will be much better the second go around as head coach. In fact he may be the list.

McDaniels .... It's too hard to credit him with results. He flubbed in Denver while patsies didn't seem to miss him. I am sure he's a fine apprentice but don't know if he's ever going to make Sith Lord

This ^

I accept what happened in Denver. But he had the humility to go back accept he jumped too early and carry on learning from the master.

I think he is going to be a top quality Head Coach second time round. Is there a bit if gut feeling in that? Sure. But he is my #1 candidate.

I respect your opinion on the matter, and I am not here to change your mind by any means. But I would like to know what exactly is different that makes you think he will a great HC this time? He was a disaster the first time, went back to BB and the offense is doing the same thing it was when he left...its also doing the same thing its done every year regardless of the OC. Its not like the Pats offense stunk when he left and he came back and turned it around. If that was the case, I would understand the notion in the belief he will be better this time around. But the OC position has mostly been a plug and play position, and if we have learned anything from that is that BB is clearly the genius in Foxboro, way more so than his assistants which, IMO, over rates his assistants.

Two things seem to get proven year after year:

1. No matter who the OC is, the Pats offense doesn't change. Its great no matter what.

2. There is not a good list of Pats assistants that have gone on to be good HC's.

Schwarz is on the short list of retreads I think will be much better the second go around as head coach. In fact he may be the list.

McDaniels .... It's too hard to credit him with results. He flubbed in Denver while patsies didn't seem to miss him. I am sure he's a fine apprentice but don't know if he's ever going to make Sith Lord

I would take Schwartz any day over McDaniels. He had a rough stay in Detroit, but he also didn't have an overly talented team outside of about 4 players. He did wonders here to our D and is killing it in Philly. The players know him and love him and our D will immediately buy into the system.

All that being said, we still have a HC so this is a mute point...and if this team plays like it did against the Cards the rest of the year, there will be zero chance of a coaching change.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think McDaniels' biggest problem in Denver was his age and lack of maturity. I have been there myself standing as a Head Coach in front of guys you are younger than. It is tough. Sometimes because of that you make reckless decisons when senior players challenge your authority.

The game plans he has had for the two Quarterbacks this year have been very impressive to me and whilst is easy to say that's all Belichick he has still been there and witnessed those adjustments.

Different sport and far lower profile but I got a Head Coach job at a very young age and was not very good. I was a darn good retread though a few years later. So some of it is gut... because I think McDaniels made some of the same mistakes I did.

I'd have Schwartz on my list too.

Kim & Terry - give Josh an offer he cannot refuse.http://nesn.com/2016/09/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-plans-to-leave-patriots-pursue-head-coaching-job-in-2017/Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good idea. Pats assitant coaches have always done well when given HC opportunities outside of New England. Oh.......wait, they've all failed? Well then this is a horrible idea.