We needed it but it may bite us

4merper4mer

Good win yesterday for sure but the reality is that the win hurt us in terms of playoff opportunity. As much as I'd love to win the division, I don't think the Bills are there yet and even if they were I'm not sure the NFL and especially the refs would allow it. If correct, this means any hope at the playoffs is via wild card.

Yesterday's win put us at the very bottom of tie-breaker scenarios in the case of wild card opportunities. Unless we're only battling teams in our own division or one on one with a team we'll play or have played like Baltimore, then the first tie breaker involves eliminating teams that have good records against the NFC. It seems likely that we may end up there. Arizona is/was a favorite in that division and we get the Rams and 9ers later in the year. We're looking at a 3-1 record against the NFC with the probable loss coming against Seattle. I think that record will probably be too good to keep us in the hunt tie-breaker wise.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying we have a better chance at making the playoffs at 0-3 than 1-2, brilliant. Maybe the bills should lose the next 3 games to increase our playoff chances

Playoffs are determined by the entire 16 game record. Games at the beginning or end of the season are weighted equally but the first tie breaker for AFC teams is eliminating teams that have a good record against the NFC. You can look it up at NFL.com

At this point in time just getting a win was a huge uplift for the fan base and players.

Who knows how many more games this team will win this season. So can we just savor the win and worry about the Patriots next weekend for now?

I agree but if we beat Seattle we are probably toast.

Playoffs are determined by the entire 16 game record. Games at the beginning or end of the season are weighted equally but the first tie breaker for AFC teams is eliminating teams that have a good record against the NFC. You can look it up at NFL.com

Ya conference record is a tie breaker i know, but if you dont win games tie breakers wont matter

Good win yesterday for sure but the reality is that the win hurt us in terms of playoff opportunity. As much as I'd love to win the division, I don't think the Bills are there yet and even if they were I'm not sure the NFL and especially the refs would allow it. If correct, this means any hope at the playoffs is via wild card.

Yesterday's win put us at the very bottom of tie-breaker scenarios in the case of wild card opportunities. Unless we're only battling teams in our own division or one on one with a team we'll play or have played like Baltimore, then the first tie breaker involves eliminating teams that have good records against the NFC. It seems likely that we may end up there. Arizona is/was a favorite in that division and we get the Rams and 9ers later in the year. We're looking at a 3-1 record against the NFC with the probable loss coming against Seattle. I think that record will probably be too good to keep us in the hunt tie-breaker wise.

No. A win against the AFC is better than a win against the NFC that is true, but in order to even make it to tiebreakers you need 9 or 10 wins. So a win is always better than a loss.

See how that works?

Despite feeling more cheery this morning about our season I still don't see play-offs this year as a realistic possibility.

so you would prefer to lose every game?

WTF, how does that tin foil hat fit.

I'm sure people would have been mad at a loss but in a tie breaker situation the answer to your question is yes.

I think you have it backwards. It's true that NFC wins don't help in your playoff tiebreakers, you still need wins to be in a tiebreaker. It doesn't hurt us at all.

Link please. It's on you to prove this unicorn exists.

Odds of tiebreakers being involved in determining playoffs/seeding is pretty darn close to 100%

So you'd rather be 9-7 and in a tiebreaker scenario (likely winning) for wildcard than 10-6 and in a tiebreaker scenario (likely losing) for seeds 3/4?

Edited by kdub

It is stupid to concern yourself over winning too many NFC game matchups. The goal is to win dude - the more games the better. Yes it is ideal if you beat all the AFC teams, but FFS, a week ago people on here wanted to tank and were convinced we wouldn't win any games this year. Now somebody is worried that we are going to be too good against NFC teams?

If you want to make this argument, wait till we lose to another AFC team. Then make the point that the loses vs. AFC hurt you a little more because of tiebreakers. Don't try to make the argument after we just beat a really good NFC team.

I admire the interpretation... Yes if you assume you could trade this win for another win instead, you might want to.

But having this win puts you into a tiebreaker scenario you wouldn't otherwise be in with one less win.