Is Chad Kelly not Jim Kelly incarnate?

Virgil

I don't place much importance on these "stock up, stock down" reports. They're too fickle for my tastes. I usually get some feedback after the Senior Bowl, after players have had a chance to speak with various personnel folks and the first hard reports are compiled. From what I can gather, its a mixed bag on Kelly at this point, which is actually a step up for him vs. last year when the advisory committee, based on a consensus, informed him he would be best off returning for his senior year to improve his draft stock. His post season will be important to him. I won't be surprised if he garners late first, early second grades if he does well in that period.

We'll see. His mental game and lack of consistent fundamentals are my biggest concerns. Looks like a project.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes really, have you seen him play?

This is true, question is who do we bring in as a veteran, wish we had Fitz now (actually started a thread yrs ago about how we could draft Kelly and learn under Fitz before he retired.)

maybe bring in guys like Chad Henne, Matt Schaub, Derek Anderson

Did you just advocate bringing in henne, schaub or Anderson to steer the ship til Chad Kelly is ready?

I'm tempted to report you to admins.

Well Fitz aint coming back, who would prefer as the veteran QB?

ABC. ANYONE BUT CASSEL!

At 6'2" he is smaller than I thought.

He reminds me more of Alex Smith than Cutler. Cutler wishes he could run with CK. It's not even close.

He looks like hes got a cannon tho, I dont remember Alex Smith having throw power like that tho!

indeed, we just need a steady veteran till the kids are ready.

There is not a lot out there to be honest. If TT can pick his play level back up to where it was last year or higher, and is willing to take a pay cut for an average veteran QB minimum, I would not be opposed to keeping him as the bridge QB. What other veteran QBs do you guys think are available out there?

TT > Yates, Hoyer, Manziel, Kapernick, Geno Smith, Sanchez, RG3, etc..

Edited by Marty McFly

Kelly we be a very good pro, and if we pass on him we will regret it. Did anyone see some of the throws he made yesterday? He's doing this against SEC competition too. Jay Cutler comparisons are ridiculous. Cutler doesn't care about football. Kelly wouldn't be sitting out a NFC championship game like Cutler did. Cutler and Kelly may be similar as far as playing styles, but it stops there. Cutler lacks passion for the game. He just doesn't care. Kelly has been an immature punk in the past, but the kid enjoys playing football.

Kelly we be a very good pro, and if we pass on him we will regret it. Did anyone see some of the throws he made yesterday? He's doing this against SEC competition too. Jay Cutler comparisons are ridiculous. Cutler doesn't care about football. Kelly wouldn't be sitting out a NFC championship game like Cutler did. Cutler and Kelly may be similar as far as playing styles, but it stops there. Cutler lacks passion for the game. He just doesn't care. Kelly has been an immature punk in the past, but the kid enjoys playing football.

Like it or not, Jay Cutler comparisons are valid.

Sketchy mechanics and boneheaded on-field decisions.

Fair enough, but Cutler lacks toughness and passion for the game. These issues can be overcome when you come back to make big plays after making a mistake. Cutler just folds, and quits on his team. Favre had "sketchy mechanics" and made boneheaded decisions. Just because those two facts might be true, it doesn't make every QB with those traits the same guy. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

1) Cutler played in the Sec for a doormat program

2) who is the last really good sec qb? Maybe Matt Stafford, who is hardly a top qb.

Kelly isn't ready to play in the NFL yet. He is a two read qb and has a ton to learn before he is ready to start. But I'm all for drafting Qbs. I just feel like the expectations here will mess with his already shaky head.

1) Cutler played in the Sec for a doormat program

2) who is the last really good sec qb? Maybe Matt Stafford, who is hardly a top qb.

Kelly isn't ready to play in the NFL yet. He is a two read qb and has a ton to learn before he is ready to start. But I'm all for drafting Qbs. I just feel like the expectations here will mess with his already shaky head.

Eli Manning as well. The SEC has been all about defense and smash mouth football. As a result there hasn't been a ton of SEC NFL QBs. The majority of SEC QBs have been game manager types. The fact that the conference is about the run game and defense makes what Kelly has done even more impressive imo. QBs in the SEC don't put up big numbers typically. That's why there aren't many in the NFL.

Whoops!!! But Cam is a physical freak. But good call. Bigger point was that playing against the SEC doesn't make for a ton of great NFL Qbs.

No because most SEC QBs haven't been very good. That doesn't mean they aren't playing against dominant defenses. Kelly has shredded SEC defenses, and I find that impressive.

Eli Manning as well. The SEC has been all about defense and smash mouth football. As a result there hasn't been a ton of SEC NFL QBs. The majority of SEC QBs have been game manager types. The fact that the conference is about the run game and defense makes what Kelly has done even more impressive imo. QBs in the SEC don't put up big numbers typically. That's why there aren't many in the NFL.

No because most SEC QBs haven't been very good. That doesn't mean they aren't playing against dominant defenses. Kelly has shredded SEC defenses, and I find that impressive.

So did Johnny Manziel. And I think Kelly is closer to Manziel (throwing balls into double coverage that a 1st round wr makes a play on, very questionable decisions off the field) than Newton or Eli.

I honestly won't have a problem with the Bills drafting him but given how Bills fans and media treat young qb, it might just be setting him up for failure.

So did Johnny Manziel. And I think Kelly is closer to Manziel (throwing balls into double coverage that a 1st round wr makes a play on, very questionable decisions off the field) than Newton or Eli.

I honestly won't have a problem with the Bills drafting him but given how Bills fans and media treat young qb, it might just be setting him up for failure.

I guess we'll see. That's the fun with evaluating QBs. One guys Brett Favre is anothers Ryan Leaf. I don't worry much about the off field stuff. Peyton put his junk in someone's face, and Eli got arrested for public intoxication. They went on to become golden boys, and the media blows it off as college age mistakes. Maybe Chad's stuff were just college age "mistakes". Not too many of these guys are angels off the field. It just depends what we hear about. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I guess we'll see. That's the fun with evaluating QBs. One guys Brett Favre is anothers Ryan Leaf. I don't worry much about the off field stuff. Peyton put his junk in someone's face, and Eli got arrested for public intoxication. They went on to become golden boys, and the media blows it off as college age mistakes. Maybe Chad's stuff were just college age "mistakes". Not too many of these guys are angels off the field. It just depends what we hear about.

Those are the only thing the Manning ever did wrong in their life. Chad threw a full on temper tantrum on the field. He threaten to shoot up a bar. And trust me, there are plenty more.

Your qb should be the smartest guy on the team. If you don't worry about the off the field stuff especially with a qb, that's kinda crazy. But I heard Manziel is killing it in rehab.

I guess we'll see. That's the fun with evaluating QBs. One guys Brett Favre is anothers Ryan Leaf. I don't worry much about the off field stuff. Peyton put his junk in someone's face, and Eli got arrested for public intoxication. They went on to become golden boys, and the media blows it off as college age mistakes. Maybe Chad's stuff were just college age "mistakes". Not too many of these guys are angels off the field. It just depends what we hear about.

Those are the only thing the Manning ever did wrong in their life. Chad threw a full on temper tantrum on the field. He threaten to shoot up a bar. And trust me, there are plenty more.

Your qb should be the smartest guy on the team. If you don't worry about the off the field stuff especially with a qb, that's kinda crazy. But I heard Manziel is killing it in rehab.

How do you know that's all the Manning's have ever done wrong? Because the media says they are choir boys? Chad just acts like a punk kid of the modern generation. Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and Elway probably all acted like punks of their generation. QBs can be arrogant spoiled brats. I'm just not concerned about his off field stuff when basically it all revolves around being a Dbag. I'd like to know what people who went to high school/college with hall of fame QBs would have to say about how kind guys they all were. Manziel didn't have the talent. With social media these days we all got to see the other stuff play out. Don't try to tell me Jim Kelly didn't do some serious partying. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• 2 weeks later...

That "Brawl" looked like a bunch of yelling and dancing, but not much throwing.

Funny to see Kelly out there getting into it.

He strikes me as another Evander Kane type. Has a nose for sniffing out trouble and then getting into it.

And I'm a St. Joe's alum!

:thumbdown:

This isn't about drafting him, when he should be drafted, or Tyrod.

Having the ability to watch him play in his first 4 games and a few last year, he just reminds me so much of Jimbo. He's got the broad shoulders, the gun slinger mentality, and the over confident throws to a fault.

I remember so many times when Jim would just have a little to much faith in his ability or receivers and make a poor throw. Chad seems the same way. Can make all the throws, will take a hit.

Basically, they are both backyard, I want you to hit me, pull it out your ass kinda players.

But yes, I would also draft him. It would just be too much fun. Although I'm still in TT's corner

No and it is not even close

The only thing they have in common is last name, please drop this stupid talk

No and it is not even close

The only thing they have in common is last name, please drop this stupid talk

trying watching the games and he is a much better scrambler than Jim ever thought about being.

That "Brawl" looked like a bunch of yelling and dancing, but not much throwing.

Funny to see Kelly out there getting into it.

He strikes me as another Evander Kane type. Has a nose for sniffing out trouble and then getting into it.

And I'm a St. Joe's alum!

:thumbdown:

just defending his brother, just the kind of guy you want in a fox hole.