Mario Says Dolphins D is "That Much Sweeter" for Him

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know where all this vitriol towards Mario was when the the season was going on. You know, when they were actually playing. I certainly didn't see it on these boards in September and October. You would think 8 games would be enough to see that a player quit on his team, right? I recall people still discussing restructuring his contract as late as November. When it became apparent the season was over in December and Mario wasn't coming back -- that's when the pitchforks came out.

Mario has taken plays off his entire career, we all knew that. It all came to a head when Pete Prisco released an article showing all the plays he took off, that whipped the board "analysts" into the quitter rant.

He's played 10 seasons, under 7 different defensive coordinators, and he's flourished under all of them except for 1. You don't need to be a math major to figure out what's the constant and the variable in that equation.

It happens all the time and Mario wAs right. Andre Reed and TO quit on routes. You honestly think Darues was playing hard every down? Come on. I don't love it but Mario was right and think the players were all telling Rex he was wrong.

But new season, so it's time to turn the page.

Every player takes plays off.

But you offer a false equivalency in Mario's case last year. He took lot more than an occasional play off, he took entire games off. It is nearly impossible for an OLB/edge rusher to have such an utter lack of productivity over the course of 884 defensive snaps in a season. The tape doesn't lie.

I get it; we all loved and respected the MW of 2012-2014. And Rex didn't do him any favors. But he had another responsibility that superseded that to his HC; the one to his teammates and fans. And he chose to screw them instead. Unforgivable in my book.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd like to know where all this vitriol towards Mario was when the the season was going on. You know, when they were actually playing. I certainly didn't see it on these boards in September and October. You would think 8 games would be enough to see that a player quit on his team, right? I recall people still discussing restructuring his contract as late as November. When it became apparent the season was over in December and Mario wasn't coming back -- that's when the pitchforks came out.

Mario has taken plays off his entire career, we all knew that. It all came to a head when Pete Prisco released an article showing all the plays he took off, that whipped the board "analysts" into the quitter rant.

He's played 10 seasons, under 7 different defensive coordinators, and he's flourished under all of them except for 1. You don't need to be a math major to figure out what's the constant and the variable in that equation.

My vitriol started vs Cincy and really became evident vs. Miami in the first game after the bye. That was the first week of November, when we still had a lot to play for sitting at 4-4. He totally mailed it in the next two games against the Jets and NE. At that point we were 5-5 with 6 to play and he did nothing over that span as well.

Rex doing a crap coaching job was a given last year.

So was Mario's refusal to give a respectable effort.

Edited by K-9

My vitriol started vs Cincy and really became evident vs. Miami in the first game after the bye. That was the first week of November, when we still had a lot to play for sitting at 4-4. He totally mailed it in the next two games against the Jets and NE. At that point we were 5-5 with 6 to play and he did nothing over that span as well.

Rex doing a crap coaching job was a given last year.

So was Mario's refusal to give a respectable effort.

Well, you were certainly in the vocal minority then. I did an experiment and searched through the archives to see if my memory was playing tricks on me, and let's just say that the board was still very pro-Mario at the end of October (a few started to question his production). An entertaining read to say the least.

I won't argue the lack of effort -- it clearly wasn't there at times, and he is on the wrong side of 30, but in the end it was the misuse of a dominant pass-rusher.

I also don't think you can quantify a DE's play using tackle numbers (I've never seen it), even in a scheme that preaches gap responsibility.

Father time?

I also don't think you can quantify a DE's play using tackle numbers (I've never seen it), even in a scheme that preaches gap responsibility.

You have a good point about DEs and tackle numbers, but Mario was an OLB/Edge rusher much of last season and an OLB has to produce tackles. Look at Hughes' stats for a relative comparison.

As someone posted up thread, Mario rushed the passer on over 400 of his 884 snaps last season. And his production was just as anemic in generating pressures and sacks. He was a non factor when a player of his elite ability shouldn't be.

I suspect that contract/cap/re-signing issues were discussed over the bye and not to his liking and that's when he made the conscious decision to go into total self preservation mode. Key word being "self." Although it's worth noting Sal Capaccio raised that concern as early as training camp last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario was a great player who's declining but still very good, but he's not as good as Vernon was last year when the Bills beat the Fins.

Unless Miami's DBs suddenly improve, there are weak links there to be exploited.

As for Mario leaving, just like Hogan leaving, they're both in systems where they can do better than how the Bills used them. I liked both of them when they were on the Bills and I wish them well, personally and professionally. That doesn't mean I hope they rip up the Bills or that their new teams beat the Bills. It's just I don't start hating a guy just because he leaves.

Last year, Mario did not act like a true professional. He acted like he was an artiste, entitled to do his own thing instead of meshing with the other 10 men. Memo to the league -- good player if you want an artiste, not a good choice for a "team defense" approach.

Miami seriously scares the hell out of me.

I don't see it. Their LB's and DB's are very beatable. Their D-line has Wake coming off an injury and Mario who didn't look good last season and hasn't looked like vintage Mario this preseason either. Perhaps they've just been playing possum the past year, but I'm not counting on it. And offensively that O-line is a liability. Tannehill is Tannehill. What do you think I am overlooking and should be fearful of?

Edited by purple haze

:thumbsup:

I've been very vocal about Rex Ryan's Buffalo Bills 2015 defensive scheme since that week two debacle against the Patriots in which in looked like the Bills were playing in a prevent type defense from the start of the game. Meaning the DB's were playing 10 to 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and there was little or no blitzing, pass rush on Brady. Brady set a Buffalo franchise worst for yards allowed by a single passer.

Some posters here have been adamant about defending the Rex Ryan's defensive scheme since the 2015 training camp when Marcell Dareus starting griping about how he was being used and became even more defensive after that week two Patriots game. Some fans are just such homers that they refuse to look at anything to do with the Buffalo Bills objectively and the entire blame goes to the players. More specifically at Mario who took the 2015 season off because he had a bad attitude.

Nevermind the fact that playing as an OLBer in a mostly two-gap scheme that he usually lined up over the OT to attempt to control the gap while waiting for the play to develop so he can read and react to the play had nothing to do with his overall performance. That is when he wasn't being asked to drop into pass coverage as an elite pass rusher. Also, nevermind the fact that when opposing teams are drawing up their game day plays that they might choose to have the play move towards the 6'2'' 262lb player rather than the 6'6'' 290lb player.

There is little doubt in my mind that if Jim Schwartz had been retained as DC the 2015 Bills defense would have been right up there with Denver in the sacks department and might have been even better than #4 overall with the addition of Ronald Darby at CB.

I certainly don't want Miami to beat the Bills this year and I don't want Mario Williams to play great against us. However, I really don't like it that Mills is the best answer at RT, even if he does get help.

READ THIS to help understand why Mario wasn't very productive in Rex's scheme. http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

:thumbsup:

I've been very vocal about Rex Ryan's Buffalo Bills 2015 defensive scheme since that week two debacle against the Patriots in which in looked like the Bills were playing in a prevent type defense from the start of the game. Meaning the DB's were playing 10 to 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and there was little or no blitzing, pass rush on Brady. Brady set a Buffalo franchise worst for yards allowed by a single passer.

Some posters here have been adamant about defending the Rex Ryan's defensive scheme since the 2015 training camp when Marcell Dareus starting griping about how he was being used and became even more defensive after that week two Patriots game. Some fans are just such homers that they refuse to look at anything to do with the Buffalo Bills objectively and the entire blame goes to the players. More specifically at Mario who took the 2015 season off because he had a bad attitude.

Nevermind the fact that playing as an OLBer in a mostly two-gap scheme that he usually lined up over the OT to attempt to control the gap while waiting for the play to develop so he can read and react to the play had nothing to do with his overall performance. That is when he wasn't being asked to drop into pass coverage as an elite pass rusher. Also, nevermind the fact that when opposing teams are drawing up their game day plays that they might choose to have the play move towards the 6'2'' 262lb player rather than the 6'6'' 290lb player.

There is little doubt in my mind that if Jim Schwartz had been retained as DC the 2015 Bills defense would have been right up there with Denver in the sacks department and might have been even better than #4 overall with the addition of Ronald Darby at CB.

I certainly don't want Miami to beat the Bills this year and I don't want Mario Williams to play great against us. However, I really don't like it that Mills is the best answer at RT, even if he does get help.

READ THIS to help understand why Mario wasn't very productive in Rex's scheme. http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

Curious. As I seem to recall in that game in particular, Brady was getting rid of the ball in a ridiculously short amount of time. I forgot what the average amount of time was and am too lazy right now to try to look it up. It was a very short amount of time though.

Nevertheless, where a QB is forced or intends to get rid of the ball very, very quickly, there is little a defense can do about that. Moreover, given that the goal of a pass rush is to pressure the QB into throwing the ball quickly or risk getting sacked, in a very real sense, this aspect of the defense succeeded where the QB (Brady here) is forced to get rid of the ball quickly. What happens after that is a separate issue.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Ah, yes, we are all just homers and can't look at things objectively. How about this? Your dislike for Rex Ryan has made it so you can't look at the 2015 season objectively.

As I've said before when this comes up: It can be both things. Mario gave up. Fact. If you are ok with players giving up on their teams, the fans and the coaches because they don't agree with the way in which they were being used, which btw Mario still had plenty of chances to pin his ears back and was ineffective, then I can't help you. Teams around the league noticed. Why do you think he wasn't in high demand? Why do you think he wasn't given a massive deal? Rex's defense failed to live up to expectations. Fact. Both things can be possible at the same time, you don't have to pick sides. They both can be contributing factors of why the defense failed in 2015.

Of course you don't mention the 2nd New England game, which was in Foxboro. A game in which M. Williams was hurt. Guess that was just dumb luck from Rex huh?

That is when he wasn't being asked to drop into pass coverage as an elite pass rusher

Funny, he dropped in to coverage in Jim Scwartz's scheme too.

So there's little doubt, with K. Williams, A. Williams, S. Gilmore and N. Bradham all missing significant time in 2015, the Bills defense would have been right up there? Ok then.

READ THIS to help understand why Mario wasn't very productive in Rex's scheme. http://www.sbnation....o-bills-defense

Mario wasn't productive or effective because he chose not to be. Rex has made lesser talent work and be productive.

Well, you were certainly in the vocal minority then. I did an experiment and searched through the archives to see if my memory was playing tricks on me, and let's just say that the board was still very pro-Mario at the end of October (a few started to question his production). An entertaining read to say the least.

I won't argue the lack of effort -- it clearly wasn't there at times, and he is on the wrong side of 30, but in the end it was the misuse of a dominant pass-rusher.

I honestly don't remember when it was but I do know when he started running his mouth I turned sour on him.

Injuries and communication issues plagued our Def last year. Why is everyone blaming Rex? People are still making excuses for Mario...unbelievable!

Rex's units have ALWAYS been top 10 or top 5. The one year they are not is not solely on him.

There will be a lot of crow to be eaten this year and I'm gonna try and remember the posters who are going to eat it.

Tannehill:

2015:Third most sacked QB, 9th in passing yards. 24/12

2014: Third most sacked QB, 11th in passing yards 27/12

2013: Most sacked QB in NFL, 10th in passing yards 24/17

Imagine if he had a line?

With the addition of Tunsil and Bushrod all 5 OL spot look solid On Paper. Plus Gase should be a big upgrade.

Mario was a great player who's declining but still very good, but he's not as good as Vernon was last year when the Bills beat the Fins.

Unless Miami's DBs suddenly improve, there are weak links there to be exploited.

As for Mario leaving, just like Hogan leaving, they're both in systems where they can do better than how the Bills used them. I liked both of them when they were on the Bills and I wish them well, personally and professionally. That doesn't mean I hope they rip up the Bills or that their new teams beat the Bills. It's just I don't start hating a guy just because he leaves.

Last year, Mario did not act like a true professional. He acted like he was an artiste, entitled to do his own thing instead of meshing with the other 10 men. Memo to the league -- good player if you want an artiste, not a good choice for a "team defense" approach.

OV has one double double digit sack season and has 29 in 4 years. This rising star had 1.5 more sacks than old, declining terrible Mario who didn't try last year.