0-4 start

killshot

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they are favored, which means people that DO look closely are putting money on them.

I think Bills win pretty easily though

Not saying the Ravens can't win. Just that it's no mismatch. In fact the Bills have plenty of reasons on offense to make Baltimore sweat.

Sure, that's entirely possible.

Miami @ Seattle is almost assuredly a loss

NE @ Arizona sans Brady is likely a loss as well

I could see both of the other games going either way. The Jets' D is good enough to give Cinci trouble on the road, but not sure Fitz and Co. can outscore them.

I actually think that Buffalo probably has the best shot to win in week 1 given how bad Baltimore's aging defense has been the last 2 seasons, and that they have such a young offensive line that will have to deal with Rex's often-confusing pressure packages. The Ravens will definitely need to be able to run the ball well; something that no team has done against Buffalo's starters this preseason.

I could see both of the other games going either way. The Jets' D is good enough to give Cinci trouble on the road, but not sure Fitz and Co. can outscore them.

I actually think that Buffalo probably has the best shot to win in week 1 given how bad Baltimore's aging defense has been the last 2 seasons, and that they have such a young offensive line that will have to deal with Rex's often-confusing pressure packages. The Ravens will definitely need to be able to run the ball well; something that no team has done against Buffalo's starters this preseason.

...and something Baltimore didn't do well last year. This is actually a pretty good match-up for the Bills.

There really needs to be a minimum post count here before you can start a new thread

I don't understand what's wrong with the thread; it's a prediction that's hardly off the wall and contains an interesting question.

The title is a bit provocative, but I'm fine with it.

...and something Baltimore didn't do well last year. This is actually a pretty good match-up for the Bills.

Indeed. They have a tradeoff this year since they're getting their RB stable back at full health, but have lose the left side of their OL.

isn't that usually a key every game? Getting pressure on the QB?

Sure, but more so in this game I think. Flacco's strength is a big arm for long developing deep plays, can't give him time

I have and agree with you that it will be nearly impossible for us to win that, but that's why they play the games.

I think the premise of the OP is that the loss won't hurt us that much.

Please

Didn't the Bills starting defense look awesome in preseason last year too though? I seem to recall that the Bills starting D - especially that D line looked like they were going to crush opponents. Right up to the start of the season people were claiming that this was going to be one of the best Bills defenses in team history. I think one of those dodo's from GR was calling it the best defense in the NFL.

Then the real season started and the Bills defense looked more average than anything.

I would take all the preseason play with a grain of salt. The Bills D as a whole was nothing impressive last year. They remain that until proven otherwise on gameday.

Edited by PolishDave

For who?

I have and agree with you that it will be nearly impossible for us to win that, but that's why they play the games.

I think the premise of the OP is that the loss won't hurt us that much.

Well, since both NE and MIA play NFC opponents, losses will actually help their playoff chances because of the tiebreaks

For who?

Are you really going to go down this rabbit hole?

It's not even debatable that rookies (both QBs and offensive line) struggle to pick up Rex's pressure packages. Go back to last season and look at which teams and players struggled against Buffalo's D--you won't be surprised.

Pretty sure most of the people hating on the OP didn't read his post and came into this thread expecting a troll thread about the Bills going 0-4 in their first four games.

It may be time for another apology thread in the near future. Also, we're long overdue for a meltdown thread. You guys are slipping.

Probably not though, right?

Cuz.Rex.Sux.

I wasn't blaming Rex. Granted he tries to avoid pressuring the QB which everyone seems to think is the key to winning, but I was just thinking about the two teams. Last year's game 1 was good. I think it is weeks 2-17 where Rex sometimes struggles. That was the story of 2015 anyway.

The Indy preseason games are pretty telling. We lost to them at home. Baltimore beat them at Indy. It is Baltimore's home opener which is even more of a home field than normal. We are missing guys due to drugs and injury. Those are a lot of factors, none of which are in our favor. They also have some injuries.

Well, since both NE and MIA play NFC opponents, losses will actually help their playoff chances because of the tiebreaks

Valid point for sure but those come into play more during wildcard scenarios than in division stuff.

I'm a bit worried about the level of confidence I feel going into Baltimore. I think the Ryan boys are going full-blown "us against the world" this year and the Bills are going to come out flying.

Ummm, no? Losses hurt chances of making playoffs, period. Losses to the NFC just hurt less.

For who?

:lol: Seriously, though, I thought last year we saw two related phenomena:

- Bills D started the season looking pretty good. Personnel was very good, and Rex hadn't yet fully rolled out his special Rex packages. When you have better players, usually they win one-on-one keeping it simple. The more complexity we got as the season rolled on, the worse the defense played.

- Bills offense, on the other hand, went in the opposite direction, from "grind it out/get a big play or two" to actually looking impressive as the season rolled on and as Roman's concepts started to take hold.

My amateur analysis: Roman good tactician, Ryan bad.

Oh, and even if every AFC East team is a dog Week 1 - let's say the opponent has a 60% chance of winning each individual game - the statistical chance of every AFC East team losing would only be about 13%. Of such probabilities are sucker parlay bets made ....

Ummm, no? Losses hurt chances of making playoffs, period. Losses to the NFC just hurt less.

Losing out of conference games actually improves your chances of making the playoffs due to the tie breakers. There was a great thread here that explained what you need to know. Consider using the search function and edumucating yerself.

It's the NFL weird things happen. So the fact that all 4 teams are underdogs is meaningless to me. I feel like you don't really get a feel for the season until after 4 weeks in. By then you can see the patterns forming and get a feel for which teams are at what point. I feel as though the crapshoot that is the NFL makes it an insane proposition to bet on games early in the season let alone at all.