How I would handle the EJ situation right now. Greg Hardy...

I would be on the phone with the Vikings to trade EJ and free up that cap space. Get EJ out the door for a player or really low pick. At the same time, I would have Greg Hardy in for a visit. Our pass rush with Hardy/Hughes connection would be incredible..

This is just my take on things. But a one year deal for Greg right now would be a cheap option for him just to play. I know he is a head case at times but he can play, and our D does need the help....

I seriously doubt the Vikings would trade anything for EJ, and Cardale is not ready to be the #2. I'm not an EJ fan, but he serves a purpose this year.

As far as Hardy, forget about Carolina, and watch him in Dallas. He was a problem on the sidelines, didn't show up for meetings on time, and most importantly he sucked. He made no impact, and was thought to be out of shape. He couldn't get in shape in time. What would be different here? If we wanted depth we should have gone after Freeney, or Kruger and Coples this week.

Mellaman, I like your creativity, but don't think these options would work.

I would be on the phone with the Vikings to trade EJ and free up that cap space. Get EJ out the door for a player or really low pick. At the same time, I would have Greg Hardy in for a visit. Our pass rush with Hardy/Hughes connection would be incredible..

This is just my take on things. But a one year deal for Greg right now would be a cheap option for him just to play. I know he is a head case at times but he can play, and our D does need the help....

And who would be the backup QB? The 4th round rookie with 8 college starts?

I am not on board with the exact strategy proposed however if TT cannot start for a long period of time we are hosed anyway. Its not like EJ is going to win us anymore games than some other backup QB. So if we can trade him for something decent I say go for it.

Not sure I agree.

Let's suppose that Tyrod were to miss 4 games--I like EJ's chances of getting us to 0.500 over those 4 games more than I do for anyone else that would be available at this point.

Then how do you handle the Bills backup QB situation? Are you really "all in" with Cardale after a few minutes of play against a vanilla D populated by backups?

I'm not. I think the Bills are finally heading into the season with an established starter and a reasonable backup who is thoroughly familiar with the system. For once, it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fans need to stop thinking about football players like it's fantasy football or Madden.

Greg Hardy has serious mental and emotional issues that he's been unable to control. These issues plagued him in Carolina and ruined his career in Dallas.

I am not on board with the exact strategy proposed however if TT cannot start for a long period of time we are hosed anyway. Its not like EJ is going to win us anymore games than some other backup QB. So if we can trade him for something decent I say go for it.

So he's not good enough to play for us anyway - and the Vikings are going to bring him in to be their starter? Or are you saying they'd "trade something decent" for a backup?

Damn, another "EJ situation!" What's he doing now? Not standing during the anthem? Hitting his girlfriend? Using drugs? Boot stomping off duty cops? That guy is such a distraction he's just not worth having on the team anymore.

Not sure I agree.

Let's suppose that Tyrod were to miss 4 games--I like EJ's chances of getting us to 0.500 over those 4 games more than I do for anyone else that would be available at this point.

I believe you are right, and that EJ may surprise a lot of doubters if he plays. He is finally showing the development the FO imagined when he was drafted. It's unfortunate he was pushed into a starting position way to soon, and developed all this negativity.

Fans need to stop thinking about football players like it's fantasy football or Madden.

Greg Hardy has serious mental and emotional issues that he's been unable to control. These issues plagued him in Carolina and ruined his career in Dallas.

I was going to reply with something flippant like, "if we need someone to beat the crap out of women, I'm sure we can find a cheaper option," but I like this response a lot more. Hardy is either a monster, a tragic figure, or both. But even if you don't care morally about employing such a person, it's still a bad idea just on the selfish front. Hardy would be a negative asset.

So he's not good enough to play for us anyway - and the Vikings are going to bring him in to be their starter? Or are you saying they'd "trade something decent" for a backup?

Classic fan logic - can't blame a guy for trying.

I believe you are right, and that EJ may surprise a lot of doubters if he plays. He is finally showing the development the FO imagined when he was drafted. It's unfortunate he was pushed into a starting position way to soon, and developed all this negativity.

I think it's more that the coaches are putting him in a better place to use the abilities he has. To his credit I think he has gotten better with the sideline throws but in the end he doesn't seem changed too much to me.

I think it's more that the coaches are putting him in a better place to use the abilities he has. To his credit I think he has gotten better with the sideline throws but in the end he doesn't seem changed too much to me.

I agree with that.

He's still a 60% passer who can extend plays with his legs and regularly hit both the seam throws and deep patterns. To me, that's classic backup-type material.

I agree with that.

He's still a 60% passer who can extend plays with his legs and regularly hit both the seam throws and deep patterns. To me, that's classic backup-type material.

And I think that's where the Bills will value him in contract talks, a middle of the road backup. I think it would be silly of him not to try going somewhere else to be a starter, and I assume if he relays those thoughts to the Bills they may not even offer him a contract and just say good luck.

And I think that's where the Bills will value him in contract talks, a middle of the road backup. I think it would be silly of him not to try going somewhere else to be a starter, and I assume if he relays those thoughts to the Bills they may not even offer him a contract and just say good luck.

I suspect that as well--if I were him, I'd be looking to go to a team like SF or Chi, where he can compete to be a placeholder for a developing rookie QB and hope to showcase himself as a potential starter.

Sometimes I really wonder why I click on certain threads. I should've learned by now.

Seriously. Unless we're just trying to construct a Bills team I would completely hate.

Again, he's POS who never showed any sense of growing up. And Carolina certainly missed him last year!

EJ is a good backup for us but so are a others who could pickup the offense with a few weeks of practice and have the possibility of going .500. Basically, if this situation happened the team would bank on TT not being out the first 3-4 weeks. With that risk assumed, if the Vikings are stupid enough to trade for him and give us a person that could fill a role then I would say go for. That said, its not going to happen.

I'd rather watch this team go 0-16 than have Greg Hardy on our roster. I don't expect every NFL player to be an angel, and I'm all for second chances, but seriously... screw that guy. Would make me sick to my stomach to see him wearing our uniform.

Getting rid of our only backup QB with any experience makes absolutely no sense unless you are an opposing fan or on crusade against EJ; TT's game involving running which will subject him to higher than normal chance of injury.

Greg Hardy? Even if a team of psychologists and parole officers agreed he was worth the risk and entire defense were willing to support him AND he was willing to sign a one year contract with enough extra condition clauses to choke a laywer I'd still wait for post week 1.

Edited by Koolaid

EJ is a good backup for us but so are a others who could pickup the offense with a few weeks of practice and have the possibility of going .500. Basically, if this situation happened the team would bank on TT not being out the first 3-4 weeks. With that risk assumed, if the Vikings are stupid enough to trade for him and give us a person that could fill a role then I would say go for. That said, its not going to happen.

@BaltimoreFan, who are these others that are currently available unsigned? Just askin', 'cuz I think fans commonly over-estimate the availability of quality QB, even quality backups.

I agree with that.

If hitting Deep patterns is overthrowing receivers out of bounce on sideline patterns then I would agree.

EJ's cap is extremely cheap, it wouldn't keep them from signing the dirtbag.

Also is Cardale looks good EJ might be on the final cut list, so I don't doubt they might try to trade him but if not it wouldn't stop them from doing most other things.

Edited by Beef Jerky

EJ's cap is extremely cheap, it wouldn't keep them from signing the dirtbag.

Also is Cardale looks good EJ might be on the final cut list, so I don't doubt they might try to trade him but if not it wouldn't stop them from doing most other things.

Zero chance of that happening.

EJ isn't going anywhere. It is just too early to declare that Cardale Jones is good enough to be our number 2... The best case scenario is he (Jones) is given the chance to compete for that spot and shows he can be that guy before this season ends.

Edited by jms62

EJ isn't going anywhere. It is just too early to declare that Cardale Jones is good enough to be our number 2... The best case scenario is he (Jones) is given the chance to compete for that spot and shows he can be that guy before this season ends.

Agreed, and nobody at the moment out there that is better than EJ. I think the Jets trade Geno "the jaw" Smith or the Viks stick with what they have till Sanchez gets dropped.