Tanduay rum and optimism

It finally happened. While drinking the finest $2 bottle of rum in the world this evening, I was hit with renewed hope for my last irrational attachment in the world, our Buffalo Bills.

Why? Tyrod, who is fortuitously corrected to gyros by my autocorrect, and our defense in year 2 of the Ryan system. And our offensive line. And clay. And our Rbs. And Sammy.

Is this post necessary? Probably not. But we all reach the same point in different ways. Here's to not having our hearts stomped this year!

$2 is a lot in the 3rd world country where that rum was produced. So its probably not bad.

That could very well be true, but just the sound of it is scary. I mean....

Regardless,,, I'm not blindly optimistic, but I am encouraged.

If youre in Taiwan, isnt a $2 bottle of rum like a half gallon of Calico Jack?

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side. We was comin back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. Wed just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didnt see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water? You can tell by lookin from the dorsal to the tail. What we didnt know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didnt even list us overdue for a week. Very first light sharks come cruisin by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin and hollerin and sometimes that shark he go away but sometimes he wouldnt go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is hes got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a dolls eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesnt even seem to be livin til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin and your hollerin those sharks come in and they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I dont know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Bosons mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, hed been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Gugny here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin for my turn. Ill never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

It finally happened. While drinking the finest $2 bottle of rum in the world this evening, I was hit with renewed hope for my last irrational attachment in the world, our Buffalo Bills.

Why? Tyrod, who is fortuitously corrected to gyros by my autocorrect, and our defense in year 2 of the Ryan system. And our offensive line. And clay. And our Rbs. And Sammy.

Is this post necessary? Probably not. But we all reach the same point in different ways. Here's to not having our hearts stomped this year!

Don't thinK I'd want to drink with you.....no offense of course!

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side. We was comin back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. Wed just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didnt see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water? You can tell by lookin from the dorsal to the tail. What we didnt know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didnt even list us overdue for a week. Very first light sharks come cruisin by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin and hollerin and sometimes that shark he go away but sometimes he wouldnt go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is hes got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a dolls eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesnt even seem to be livin til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin and your hollerin those sharks come in and they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I dont know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Bosons mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, hed been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Gugny here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin for my turn. Ill never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

it is the darndest thing. folks don't know what others have seen.

I do know enough to steer clear of the water, even if that means staying off a plane.

and in 1945 delivering the Bomb may have been Patriotic as all HELL.

Hindsight is has a sick sense of humor when teaching us.

Never go into the jungle and never get off the boat.

2 american dollars of rum has done what was asked of it.

given hope, albeit temporary. Sometimes that is enough for one day

Go Bills.

:beer:

By $2 rum or the Bills!!!

hopefully both!

I have to get a drink now!

go bills!

:thumbsup:

Drinking is usually the only way to get through a season. You started earlier than most of us. My advice is to pace yourself. Don't flame out by week 5 when its apparent 8-8 is inevitable. You need to make it to at least week 9 when all hope is gone and you can stop watching.

That $2 rum was the same stuff that got Lochte in trouble.

(my autocorrect changes Lochte to scumbag primadonna)

They're so close, I can see that....

Drinking is usually the only way to get through a season. You started earlier than most of us. My advice is to pace yourself. Don't flame out by week 5 when its apparent 8-8 is inevitable. You need to make it to at least week 9 when all hope is gone and you can stop watching.

That's it, I just can't stop watching. Therapy may help. Not sure....

One, Taiwan is certainly not 3rd world. Great health care, high speed rail, first rate infrastructure, some of the fastest and cheapest internet in the world, etc...

BUT it is very close to the Philippines which is decidedly and steadfastly third world and it is in the Philippines where the magic called Tanduay Rhum is made. Mock it at your peril.

$2 and you fixed 16 years of frustration....money well spent sir...

I was enjoying Tanduay in the Philippines just last week my friend. That was before the Giants game when we were doomed. Now it's sunshine and roses, and I'm drinking the kool-aid as per annual preseason tradition.

Then you know of what I speak...I have never had a tanduay hangover. Ice, maybe a splash of ginger ale, heaven.

Between the irrational optimism and predictions of doom which are rampant on this board, I love this post. No matter what it costs, the key is to enjoy your drink. Drink up and thanks for the picker-upper

You want scary? I discovered a gin from Wisconsin named Death's Door. Rot gut - right ? Well it is the smoothest gin I have ever drank (or is it drunk ). You can't tell just by the name. $32 at Premier.

One of the greatest scenes ever in a movie. I met Frank Mundus a couple of times. He was who Benchley loosely based the character Quint.

I was checking the reviews on this "Filipino Fire Water". This one is pretty funny:

I was fortunate enough to get an opportunity to visit the Philippines. While there, I spent my time in the central islands away from the bustle of Manila. As stated by other reviewers, Tanduay Rum is super cheap on the islands and was the go-to liquor for locals. Tanduay Dark, which has a strange hue of reddish orange, is definitely not a smooth sipper. It has a sweetish ethanol smell and could be described as an alcohol flavored rum. Quite harsh all around with a glimmer of sweetness trying to escape the flames of gasoline. The locals created some interesting "cocktails" to cover the burn. One variation that I found enjoyable and memorable was called "Reggae Reggae", a mixture of Nestea Powdered Iced Tea, Calamondin juice (small limes found in Southeast Asia) and an overly generous amount of Tanduay Dark. Although not a top shelf rum, Tanduay will always remind me of that great time when I almost died in the Philippines.

Don't drink too much of this stuff, this board needs your optimism around here billsintaiwan.

I was checking the reviews on this "Filipino Fire Water". This one is pretty funny:

I was fortunate enough to get an opportunity to visit the Philippines. While there, I spent my time in the central islands away from the bustle of Manila. As stated by other reviewers, Tanduay Rum is super cheap on the islands and was the go-to liquor for locals. Tanduay Dark, which has a strange hue of reddish orange, is definitely not a smooth sipper. It has a sweetish ethanol smell and could be described as an alcohol flavored rum. Quite harsh all around with a glimmer of sweetness trying to escape the flames of gasoline. The locals created some interesting "cocktails" to cover the burn. One variation that I found enjoyable and memorable was called "Reggae Reggae", a mixture of Nestea Powdered Iced Tea, Calamondin juice (small limes found in Southeast Asia) and an overly generous amount of Tanduay Dark. Although not a top shelf rum, Tanduay will always remind me of that great time when I almost died in the Philippines.

Don't drink too much of this stuff, this board needs your optimism around here billsintaiwan.

This post should be pinned.

It won't for good reason and sanity's sake.

Although i may never forget this amazing one bolded line.

sound like a earlier snapshot of my life. Just stupendous.

Not quite Billsian but it hovers on the fringe of our mentality, like a monarch butterfly before flying so gracefully just for me ...offering up a bit of wondrous joy of life and being

Just before it is smithereened by a random passing car, coincidentally tossing a spent McDonalds Big Mac container into my yard.

very ZEn