Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod has almost no incentive to sign a deal now. Why would he? He'd be leaving millions of dollars on the table. Unless the Bills are going to extend him for $18-20M/year, he'll say thanks but no thanks. He'll be better off being franchised or hitting free agency.

His knee could explode, derailing his career like rg3. He'd be leaving money on the table, but guaranteeing a rather large pay day for himself. He's never had the big check.

Not to anyone that is reasonable or understands contracting in the NFL

Yeah, but in terms of general fairness, that is not right. TT will have his day for sure. Fitz just may do better with what he makes though if he's as smart as we're told.

Yeah, but in terms of general fairness, that is not right. TT will have his day for sure. Fitz just may do better with what he makes though if he's as smart as we're told.

I like you a lot augie, so no offense here -- but screw that first sentence.

Fitz is paid like a mediocre 10 year vet that's a starter but limited. Tyrod is paid like a day three draft pick that at this point last year had done nothing in the league and took a short term deal to audition for a team.

Tyrod is staring down a contract that will likely dwarf fitzs career earnings. A deal of that size is likely on the table- just a matter of by how much he wants to eclipse that number.

There's nothing unfair about Tyrods situation

Edited by NoSaint

Fitz is paid like a mediocre 10 year vet that's a starter but limited. Tyrod is paid like a day three draft pick that at this point last year had done nothing in the league and took a short term deal to audition for a team.

Tyrod is staring down a contract that will likely dwarf fitzs career earnings. A deal of that size is likely on the table- just a matter of by how much he wants to eclipse that number.

No problem, as I guess I explained my feelings poorly - since I agree with you! As I said earlier, I'll take Tyrod's NEXT 5 years over Fitz. I get it. It's like when a rookie stud is getting peanuts on his first deal. It's a bargain. I was speaking to how funny the inequities of contracts can be. Keep it up, and you'll get paid. It's how it works.

Oh, and I LOVE how Tyrod bet on himself. That was bold and wise and I love the attitude. I hope it pans out for everyone (but the Pats*).

Edited by Augie

Folks are getting wound up. With good reason.

Being on the cusp of paying a Franchise QB for the first time in forever.

If they want to toss him some feel good money i do not mind.

But I want him to work his ass off, give it everything this year.

And prove it !

He is NOT there yet. But he sure could be in my minds eye.

Give him some guaranteed "we love you" money against injury as a feel good story.

If he plays so darned well and takes that big step. Give him ALL the money.

I dont want a bargained deal dammit I want a Franchise QB for the next 6 years !! I will donate one or two of my Kids and kidneys for this to happen!

20 million -43 million i dont care.

But wait till he proves it this year.

screww gilmore. Love him but I need THE QB solved first and foremost. no excpetions. And Tyrod might just be that guy.

MIGHT just be that guy

Go Bills!

I am fine with this

His knee could explode, derailing his career like rg3. He'd be leaving money on the table, but guaranteeing a rather large pay day for himself. He's never had the big check.

That's the gamble. If he signs now, he takes the short money as a hedge against injury. But if he plays well this year and stays healthy, MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY MO' MONEY!!

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Seems funny that this would be leaked now. It makes me think it's about pressuring Gilmore to get his deal done. He wouldn't want all the money to dry up, would he?

That's what I was alluding to up thread. Signing TT now serves notice that Gilmore either does the same or play with the tag next year because they won't have to use it on TT.

GO BILLS!!!

No. Fitz was an UFA. He got a new deal.

Tyrod is not.

That is all.

They are starting NFL QBs. One flubbed a playoff season and will get paid $12MM. The other made the Pro Bowl in his first season as a starter and will make 1/4th of that.

They are starting NFL QBs. One flubbed a playoff season and will get paid $12MM. The other made the Pro Bowl in his first season as a starter and will make 1/4th of that.

By the same token Olivier Vernon makes $17M a year and Khalil Mack makes less than $5M. It comes down to when you are a free agent not necessarily the quality of the player. Timofey Mozgov makes $16M a year & Steph Curry makes $11M. It just happens sometimes.

Despite the small sample size, if you can't tell the difference between TT and Fitz/Trent, I don't know what can be done for you. Pay the freaking man!!!

At what 17M a season? He is worth the 3M a season he is getting now, nothing more. If he takes the team to the playoffs, then let's talk.

That's what I was alluding to up thread. Signing TT now serves notice that Gilmore either does the same or play with the tag next year because they won't have to use it on TT.

GO BILLS!!!

more about the tag. If Tyrod is signed Gilmore loses leverage. The Bills can slap the tag on Gilmore.

All true. But my thinking was that a leak like this would achieve the same thing with Gilmore whether or not it was true. There are certainly contracts I'd sign Taylor to at this point, so I'm not arguing against doing that. It's just that we haven't heard anything about negotiations with him lately, but talks with Gilmore seem to be hot and heavy.