Tyler Dunne's Q&A with Tyrod Taylor

@TyDunne

This week, I sat down with #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor. His goal? "To be one of the greatest players to ever play."

@TyDunne

Does Tyrod Taylor believe he can do what Cam Newton did last year? "I believe so. I am 100 percent confident that I can do that."

Tyrod Taylor: "I know that people don’t work the way that I work. ... A lot of guys say that but I know the type of work that I put in."

Taylor: "I want to go down as one of the greatest players to play my position. I have a unique skill-set at the quarterback position."

Tyrod Taylor on labels: "A long-ball guy. I can’t throw across the middle. I’ve heard it all. I want to be labeled as a winner."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

His work ethic has got him to this point. If he doesn't kick on from the guy he was last year, it won't be for a lack of trying.

If you're going to talk developmental QB's, you have to ascertain their commitment to their game. You don't get anything handed to you at this level and Tyrod gets it.

He's got some skills. He certainly has commitment. He's got good coaches. Let's hope that all adds up to a great year.

Obviously he doesn't read this forum.

"A long-ball guy. I can’t throw across the middle..."

Clearly he's utterly unaware of what we're writing about him.

He's got some skills. He certainly has commitment. He's got good coaches. Let's hope that all adds up to a great year.

"A long-ball guy. I can’t throw across the middle..."

Clearly he's utterly unaware of what we're writing about him.

Yow! He must read TBD! Maybe he's a lurker?

I'm waiting for him to tell us what he really thinks about Tim Tebow and why.

That's a GREAT read about our unequivocal starting Quarterback, eBall.

He has high standards and has set the bar for himself at the Super Star level.

There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, there's everything right about that.

Most of us have high hopes. Nothing would make all of us happier than a 3 to 1 TD to INT ration and over 4000 years with an 11-5 schedule.

I think you two are friends so I guess ok to call out Gugs.

Tyrod will be with us a long time.

😊 Edited by vincec

Some of the things Gugny has said about Taylor- and I couldn't make this up- include a) He is the worst (later amended to 30th best) starting QB in the NFL, b) Gugny is more skeptical of the Bills QB situation now than he was going into 1985, coming off a 2-14 season, losing Joe Ferguson and going with the Vince Ferragamo/Bruce Mathison platoon and c) EJ Manuel is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor right now.

...this is a great interview.

Go Bills!

Really impressed with how Tyrod thinks. He frames numerous responses by acknowledging understanding of differing viewpoints.

So let get this straight...

strongest arm since at least JP (Well he has a cannon, so why not )

extremely accurate based on last years games alone (reportedly better in otas)

Runs a 4.4

Athletic specimen, perhaps tops on team

Feels he was born to QB

And now...

Embracing leadership role in stride

Still getting better even

Work hard guy

Grounded

Cerebral

How can 3" of height matter that much??

As much as I like to give Gug doo doo about his takes on Tyrod

I cannot fault fans who need to see it before they believe it......15 years is a long time with no playoffs.

Now my own personal belief? If the bills are smart with Tyrod and keep him healthy......then we have our QB.....and he should be paid accordingly at some point next season.

Just learn to take the first downs, go out of bounds, and learn to slide Tyrod

I cannot fault fans who need to see it before they believe it......15 years is a long time with no playoffs.

Now my own personal belief? If the bills are smart with Tyrod and keep him healthy......then we have our QB.....and he should be paid accordingly at some point next season.

John... I'm in the highlighted group. I don't care if it's Tyrod, EJ or Joe Blow I just want a winning consistent team after all these years. I guess I got spoiled on the Jim Kelly era of playoffs every year.

How many games were me, Charles Clay, Percy Harvin, Sammy and Shady were all on the field at the same time last year? My guess would be two or three. We have to be healthy and each player knows that. For us to accomplish what we want to accomplish, all of us need to be healthy and we have to execute.

I dislike this quote - it is as if Woods and Hogan were not part of his boys. Harvin was a part timer who had 19 receptions after being targeted 30 times. Tyler seems to think about "stars" rather than the workhorses which Evans and Hogan were who did a lot of the blocking allowing the running game to flourish plus caught a fair number of balls. We saw same thing last year when one of them were open but Tyler's eyes did not seem to look that way.

Edited by Koolaid

John... I'm in the highlighted group. I don't care if it's Tyrod, EJ or Joe Blow I just want a winning consistent team after all these years. I guess I got spoiled on the Jim Kelly era of playoffs every year.

I'm kind of the opposite on that. What happened 10 years ago really has no effect on this year. Each year is a separate challenge and I try not to let my feelings on Trent Edwards cloud my outlook on Tyrod Taylor.

I too was spoiled growing up during the eary 90's. Those are some of my best memories. I'm cautiously optimistic that this team will be competitive. I liked their talent a little more last year but it sounds like they like the fits more now.

I dislike this quote - it is as if Evans and Hogan were not part of his boys. Harvin was a part timer who had 19 receptions after being targeted 30 times. Tyler seems to think about "stars" rather than the workhorses which Evans and Hogan were who did a lot of the blocking allowing the running game to flourish plus caught a fair number of balls. We saw same thing last year when one of them were open but Tyler's eyes did not seem to look that way.

Evans? Do you mean Woods?

I think what TT is saying is that those guys were the playmakers. They were the guys that defenses game planned for. They were the guys that can't do damage on their own. Woods and Hogan were dependable but not the kind of guys that you game plan for. With those guys missing so many games defenses could focus on the other playmakers.

I dislike this quote - it is as if Evans and Hogan were not part of his boys. Harvin was a part timer who had 19 receptions after being targeted 30 times. Tyler seems to think about "stars" rather than the workhorses which Evans and Hogan were who did a lot of the blocking allowing the running game to flourish plus caught a fair number of balls. We saw same thing last year when one of them were open but Tyler's eyes did not seem to look that way.

he knows who he wants to get the ball to

I'm kind of the opposite on that. What happened 10 years ago really has no effect on this year. Each year is a separate challenge and I try not to let my feelings on Trent Edwards cloud my outlook on Tyrod Taylor.

I too was spoiled growing up during the eary 90's. Those are some of my best memories. I'm cautiously optimistic that this team will be competitive. I liked their talent a little more last year but it sounds like they like the fits more now.

I respect your opinion I guess I've just grown skeptical until proven wrong. Funny thing about Trent who you mentioned, he was on a roll until he got his brains scrambled I think in Arizona that one year. He was never the same after that. That (injury) is my biggest fear about TT.

I've been a fan since 2001 so I'm used to them losing... I guess you don't realize something is missing if you've never had it.

I dislike this quote - it is as if Woods and Hogan were not part of his boys. Harvin was a part timer who had 19 receptions after being targeted 30 times. Tyler seems to think about "stars" rather than the workhorses which Evans and Hogan were who did a lot of the blocking allowing the running game to flourish plus caught a fair number of balls. We saw same thing last year when one of them were open but Tyler's eyes did not seem to look that way.

Tyrod raised a legitimate point beyond the point of Woods and Hogan both playing through injury. Tyrod never had a fully healthy arsenal in 2015. Hopefully we see these guys on the field all season long.

I respect your opinion I guess I've just grown skeptical until proven wrong. Funny thing about Trent who you mentioned, he was on a roll until he got his brains scrambled I think in Arizona that one year. He was never the same after that. That (injury) is my biggest fear about TT.

I hope not!! Trent Edwards became (arguably) my least favorite player that the Bills have ever had. He was scared to death after that hit.

I think that TT is a tough guy and has been healthy throughout college and the NFL for he most part. He still needs to be smart but I like his chances to be successful. The Bills need a little better injury luck this year to take the next step. That was a big part of the Jets success last year.

Evans? Do you mean Woods?

I think what TT is saying is that those guys were the playmakers. They were the guys that defenses game planned for. They were the guys that can't do damage on their own. Woods and Hogan were dependable but not the kind of guys that you game plan for. With those guys missing so many games defenses could focus on the other playmakers.

he knows who he wants to get the ball to

Yes Woods. And he should be getting the ball to player who was open and he missed a lot of opportunities concentrating on Harvin and first and then Watkins. Without looking who had higher yards per catch Harvin or Hogan? One fan at bar kept saying the Harvin was the long ball threat in games he was in but his Y/R was not great. The fan kept citing his one 51 yard reception but that is not whole picture - as Brady and Rodgers stated - get open I'll throw it you I favor those who get open.

Tyrod raised a legitimate point beyond the point of Woods and Hogan both playing through injury. Tyrod never had a fully healthy arsenal in 2015. Hopefully we see these guys on the field all season long.

The injuries during preseason was a legitimate reason why he was not in sync with WRs but he had plenty of time in season to get in sync; I do hope our starters and primary backups are healthy enough to get enough reps with starting QB throughout training camp and preseason.

Yes Woods. And he should be getting the ball to player who was open and he missed a lot of opportunities concentrating on Harvin and first and then Watkins. Without looking who had higher yards per catch Harvin or Hogan? One fan at bar kept saying the Harvin was the long ball threat in games he was in but his Y/R was not great. The fan kept citing his one 51 yard reception but that is not whole picture - as Brady and Rodgers stated - get open I'll throw it you I favor those who get open.

The injuries during preseason was a legitimate reason why he was not in sync with WRs but he had plenty of time in season to get in sync; I do hope our starters and primary backups are healthy enough to get enough reps with starting QB throughout training camp and preseason.

Not really the case with Tyrod, Shady, Watkins, Clay, Woods, and Hogan all missing regular season games or playing through injuries.

Taylor is very consistent in his message.

I suspect he the same with his work and his goal.

and that is a good thing

I would not read too much into this.

yes Taylor left plays on the field.

But i bet it was just part of the learning curve in a new system new Coaches and new players for him.

Lets see if he can spread that ball around more this year !

I hope not!! Trent Edwards became (arguably) my least favorite player that the Bills have ever had. He was scared to death after that hit.

I think that TT is a tough guy and has been healthy throughout college and the NFL for he most part. He still needs to be smart but I like his chances to be successful. The Bills need a little better injury luck this year to take the next step. That was a big part of the Jets success last year.

Trent Edwards never was an aggressive QB even before that hit. He was always checking down and not using all of the field. He was accurate but played it safe. He was also too obvious with his hand signals. Even I could tell when he was checking to a run play. These were some habits which limited his ability to succeed. That hit against Arizona exacerbated his issues but he did not have TT's attitude of looking for the deep ball. That hit just hastened the end of his career.

As for TT, I am afraid he is a bit too cavalier with his own body. He is not built like a Cam Newton so need to be extra careful to avoid hits. Get rid of the ball and when scrambling, dont look for that extra yard if it means gettting hit.

Seeing it before believing it is the definition of bandwagon

Extra reps on the virtual reality... that is just crazy to say.

It is.

Knowing some folks who have developed VR for educational purposes , i have always considered it futuristic.

But our QB is using it as a training tool.

Makes me feel old.