Topic of the day for Thursday 6/16--who is your dream coach?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dream coach for the short term would be the Anti-Rex Ryan in Tom Coughlin who is a strict disciplinarian rather than a players coach. He is also a known super bowl winning HC that desperately wants another chance to show the world he can still get it done. Plus, he is familiar with building top defensive 4-3 units that have been able to stymie Tom Brady! Keep Greg Roman as OC who would fit perfectly in what Coughlin wants to do with an offense and let Tom hire the DC of his choice.

Hiring a top 4-3 coach would be my thought before this team devotes itself entirely to a zone blitz defense scheme that it still doesn't have the players on the roster to run it. That, and the two gap 3-4 that Rex and his brother Rob run is a dinosaur.

If Jim Harbaugh wants out of Michigan and back into the NFL, he did have a .695% winning percentage in the NFL. Bruce Arians has a .708 winning percentage. Tom Coughlin .531%. Rex Ryan .482%

I actually agree with all of this.....I have much respect for Tom C.

If he could be brought back from the Netherworld, it's no contest: Paul Brown. The modern game of football is his legacy, and every coach at every level his part of his "tree."

If the Bills are discriminating against the dead and will only hire the living, then Belichick followed by Pete Carroll or Bruce Arians. If none of them want the job, fly Doug Marrone into town and check his level of interest, then don't hire him.

What sort of condition is Lou Saban in?

1) Lombardi

2) Bill Walsh

3) Belichick

I dont ever want a players' coach ever. These 3 will tell you directly "i'm not here to be your friend, i'm here to be your coach." The only reason Belicheat fell to 3 is that I never got the feeling that his players would run through a brick wall for him. He appeals more to their intellect than to their testosterone.

I forget which famous coach once said basically that players want to be coached, and good players want to be coached hard.

Its kind of like being a good father. A mother wants to be loved. But a father thinks "I dont care if you hate my guts, as long as you grow up to be all you can be."

I love Madden, but he was too much a players' coach.

Edited by maddenboy

This is actually a fun topic. You said any coach of any sport, so for you guys who are in a leadership position, the best management training book is "Going from Good to Great". What Wooden did in his day was so impressive.

For NFL coaches past without a doubt for me is Parcells. What he did with the Giants twice, the Pats, Jets, and even turning around the Cowboys from a joke. He's a great football mind. He freakin won the SB with a back up QB against the most prolific offense in the league at the time.

Of the current guys, I still am pissed we could have had Arians and we took Maroon.

Of the current Head Coaches in the NFL I have been very clear my dream choice is John Harbaugh. Just an outstanding football coach.

Of any NFL Head Coach living or dead then it has to be Paul Brown. As great as those other coaches are... they are not called the Green Bay Lombardis or the San Fancisco Walshes are they? Brown always found a way to be ahead of the curve.

Any coach from any sport it would be Sir Alex Ferguson. Very like Belichick personality wise - driven, relentless but a master of strategy and psychology at the same time (and without the whiff of cheating).

From Nanker with paraphrasing from me...

What coach (active, retired, retired) from any sport, any league would you like to see coach the Bills? Why?

Jim Harbaugh, um because he's the best. Seriously though, he transformed Stanford into a powerhouse and turned a dysfunctional 49ers teams into an instant SB contender, Would have won the it if handyKap didn't throw all those picks.

Just really like his philosophy on Offense and Defense and as difficult as he is for owners he can flat out coach and 9ers Owners are strait up morons. If he ever becomes available Pegs needs to be on this asap.

That said if we falter again I would like Roman to become HC with Mike Pettine as DC. That we we really could keep continuity and not change the friggin defense ever other yr and Pettine ran Rex's D here way better than Rex did.

This is actually a fun topic. You said any coach of any sport, so for you guys who are in a leadership position, the best management training book is "Going from Good to Great". What Wooden did in his day was so impressive.

For NFL coaches past without a doubt for me is Parcells. What he did with the Giants twice, the Pats, Jets, and even turning around the Cowboys from a joke. He's a great football mind. He freakin won the SB with a back up QB against the most prolific offense in the league at the time.

Of the current guys, I still am pissed we could have had Arians and we took Maroon.

Also Wanted Arians and we should have tried for him instead of Maroon. Did we even interview him?

Of the current Head Coaches in the NFL I have been very clear my dream choice is John Harbaugh. Just an outstanding football coach.

Of any NFL Head Coach living or dead then it has to be Paul Brown. As great as those other coaches are... they are not called the Green Bay Lombardis or the San Fancisco Walshes are they? Brown always found a way to be ahead of the curve.

Any coach from any sport it would be Sir Alex Ferguson. Very like Belichick personality wise - driven, relentless but a master of strategy and psychology at the same time (and without the whiff of cheating).

I like Jim better but would take John too, just thought he would have been to a few more SBs by now.

English coach I presume?

English coach I presume?

Scottish soccer coach who turned Manchester United from serial underachievers without a Championship in 26 years to a team that dominated English soccer for 20 years through the 90s and 00s and won two European Champions Leagues in that timeframe too. He, interestingly enough, is a huge Vince Lombardi advocate who openly admits to reading into and borrowing a great deal from Lombardi's leadership style.

Jim Harbaugh, um because he's the best.

And I keep telling you..... you adore the wrong Harbaugh. Jim is very good. John is better.

That said if we falter again I would like Roman to become HC with Mike Pettine as DC. That we we really could keep continuity.

I agree with this. IF Tyrod and the offense takes another step this year and yet we fail and Rex is fired then we must give Roman the job.

All Time Coach

1. Lombardi

2. Hoodie*** (though the taint would be a strong bilious drink to suffer)

3. Landry

Living today and the next one taking over

1. Roman

2. Schottenheimer (just to shut up the drone of playoff drought - we wouldn't get much further than that, but at least there is that)

3. Coughlin

Jim Harbaugh, um because he's the best. Seriously though, he transformed Stanford into a powerhouse and turned a dysfunctional 49ers teams into an instant SB contender, Would have won the it if handyKap didn't throw all those picks.

Dude seriously. He's like the Talleywhacker of coaches. He had one good season and alienated about a million people while the whole thing burned down.

Dude seriously. He's like the Talleywhacker of coaches. He had one good season and alienated about a million people while the whole thing burned down.

It was more than one good season, but he is the Jose Mourinho (another soccer reference) of the NFL. People who can only coach with one setting "full intensity" typically burn out at each stop relatively quickly. It lost him the Superbowl as well. He was so intense and uptight all week it was blindingly obvious to me that his team would come out tight. By the time they loosened up and played their game it was too late.

Edited by GunnerBill