Bills to retire #78 jersey at home opener

Well deserved and long overdue. Bruce is the GOAT at DE. Bad things indeed, he was one scary dude on a football field. And he was at his best in the biggest situations. When you needed a play, #78 delivered. I see others mention the time Bruce knocked out Boomer Esiason. That was actually a false start giving Bruce a free shot at Boomer, but you couldn't hear it with the crowd noise. Bruce said later that it was the most violent play he was ever a part of, and that he feared for Boomer's safety.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill never forget when he hurdled a lineman believe it was Richmond Webb of the fins, to get to the QB, man I am gettin old. I remember OJ in old fashion cars throwing us oranges and slapping us five in old fashion convertables going down Deleware Ave.

Bad Things would be awesome before the game!

Edited by North Buffalo

Can you imagine how nuts the stadium will go if they played this before the ceremony?

In today's PC world, it probably won't happen. I remember when the commercial came out, there was some backlash about Dennis Hopper playing a mentally ill ref (apparently they'd never seen any Dennis Hopper movies). My guess is that Nike will want a fortune for the rights. But it would be awesome if they had the nad to do it and the cash to pay Nike.

BTW, my favorite Bruce play was against the Jets. He tips a pass into the air, and just before it hits the ground, he lays out fully stretched in midair, grabs the ball with one hand and pulls it in for the INT. As Tom Jackson said later on Prime Time, "Look at the soft hands on the big fella". Just an amazing athlete.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Number 32 is "unofficially" retired for obvious reasons.

I'm thrilled the Bills will be retiring Jim Dunaway's number during the Home Opener! The great teams of the distant past are quickly being forgotten and ignored in Pegulaland. Jim was ranked the 28th Best Buffalo Bill of All Time.

Congrats, Jim!

btw, like OJ, Jim 'dunaway' with his wife too.. :rolleyes:

They broke the news on 96.9 (97 Rock) to Steve Tasked thinking he may have already known and he said he had no idea. He was actually breaking down on the air a little bit because he was happy and excited for Bruce saying g how much he deserves it. He said he wants to be there but thinks he will probably be somewhere else for CBS that game (don't think he realized this was the Thursday night game)

Definitely deserving for Bruce, and in the near future for Thurman. #83 for Reed could be debated (he was one of my favorites back then) but I wouldn't argue that one either. Some players are Wall of Fame locks, but number retirement is debatable.

Definitely deserving for Bruce, and in the near future for Thurman. #83 for Reed could be debated (he was one of my favorites back then) but I wouldn't argue that one either. Some players are Wall of Fame locks, but number retirement is debatable.

I don't think the Bills have handed out 78 or 34 since Bruce and Thurman left. Lee Evans wore number 83 though, so there's that.

Didn't Bruce do the same to Jeff George against the Colts in 1990? Ended his day with one play.

I remember that day and the proverbial "welcome to the NFL baby".

Well deserved for the best DE of all time. Reggie White always gets the pub, but there was no one like BRRUUUUUCCCEEE!

I actually feel bad for the young posters who didn't get to see him week in and out in every game. For the young guys, we just expected to harass the QB every week, and it came to a point where you're sitting there, and we have 48 seconds left in the game, add we're saying, "that's enough time for 7 points". We were that good.

I really feel for the 30 year olds who never had that kind of fun with our Bills.

What the hell is Russ Brandon doing behind the podium?!? Here he goes, ruining the franchise again :devil:

Well ... you know ... he makes all personnel decisions.

Well deserved for the best DE of all time. Reggie White always gets the pub, but there was no one like BRRUUUUUCCCEEE!

Reggie White was a racist homophobic ordained minister of God. Bruce passed out on TV and fell asleep drunk in his car. I'll take Bruce both on and off the football field, thank you very much. Bruce is Lancey Howard, and Reggie is The Cincinnati Kid.

Reggie White was a racist homophobic ordained minister of God. Bruce passed out on TV and fell asleep drunk in his car. I'll take Bruce both on and off the football field, thank you very much. Bruce is Lancey Howard, and Reggie is The Cincinnati Kid.

I know this thread is a tribute to Bruce but this is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen...particularly when Trev Alberts tries to continue the conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdxF6YhUg1Q

I wouldn't retire numbers lightly, but #78 is a great one to retire.

He's gotta be on a very short list of greatest Bills of all time.

Assuming he'll be in the stadium for opening night, the place will be rocking and rolling.

The 2 people who whipped Bruce into shape

As a rookie, Bills Hall of Famer Bruce Smith was a doughy defensive end, who thought his ability was good enough to get away with it. That is until a Bills teammate got on his case about his fitness level, along with someone from his alma mater at Virginia Tech.

Bills Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy relayed a story about the two people who helped to change Smith’s approach to the game.

Bruce: No real significance of No. 78 for me

With the news of Bruce Smith’s No. 78 to be retired at the team’s home opener on Sept. 15th, Smith was asked if he chose to wear 78 for any special reason.

Smith explained there wasn’t any significant tie to the number and that he came to wear more on happenstance than anything else.

Awesome..Cant wait to be there!

Anybody else think they are doing opening night to keep people out the beer line?

I do not know but IMO poor marketing to do it at home opener rather than another game during year.

BTW, my favorite Bruce play was against the Jets. He tips a pass into the air, and just before it hits the ground, he lays out fully stretched in midair, grabs the ball with one hand and pulls it in for the INT. As Tom Jackson said later on Prime Time, "Look at the soft hands on the big fella". Just an amazing athlete.

Compare year 1 Bruce with years after - he credits it to Rusty Jones and I am hoping Rusty is on field with him!

Didn't Bruce do the same to Jeff George against the Colts in 1990? Ended his day with one play.

My memory has a way of waning too.. But it was Biscuit Bennett who smashed George to the turf in the 4th quarter of the Season Opener. The start of the K-Gun.

Smith was a once in a generation player. Levy and Polian made the right choice and didn't let him go to Denver for two #1 draft pics. He always gets compared to Reggie White but I'd take Smith over any DE ever to play the game including White.