Bears release Matt Slauson -Signed w/ San Diego

JM57

Guard/center, played for Rex Ryan in New Jersey. On the wrong side of 30, but still a solid starter. Wish the Bills had the cap room to make this work. I think he's an upgrade over John Miller, and probably Velasco as well.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he plays the left side but not sure.

Did he also play for Kromer in Chicago?

He was there from 2013-15, so I would say that yes, there is also a Kromer connection.

Seems he's played mostly LG or C in the NFL, but did play mostly RG at Nebraska in his junior and senior seasons after being kicked inside from tackle.

Edited by JM57

Guard/center, played for Rex Ryan in New Jersey. On the wrong side of 30, but still a solid starter. Wish the Bills had the cap room to make this work. I think he's an upgrade over John Miller, and probably Velasco as well.

They want Miller to play. He's young. They aren't getting rid of him at this early stage.

They want Miller to play. He's young. They aren't getting rid of him at this early stage.

If you're really in win now mode, this is a move you make. The kid was average on his best days last year. If you want Tyrod to stay on the field, better shore up the OL however you can

If you're really in win now mode, this is a move you make. The kid was average on his best days last year. If you want Tyrod to stay on the field, better shore up the OL however you can

If this was a vet tackle with scheme familiarity I think they'd be all over it. But as I have said frequently in other threads when I watch the plays back with Miller there is enough there to encourage you for 2016 and beyond. The way he keeps learning is on the field.

If this was a vet tackle with scheme familiarity I think they'd be all over it. But as I have said frequently in other threads when I watch the plays back with Miller there is enough there to encourage you for 2016 and beyond. The way he keeps learning is on the field.

We also added our vet guard/center

I'd love if the Bills signed him. According to bears fans, they disapprove of his being cut citing him as one of their best OL last season. It would be nice to get him as veteran backup or even starting material opposite of Richie. I know we want Miller on the field as much as possible, but we also can't afford to have him be a liability especially if we want Tyrod to succeed. The Rex Ryan/Kromer connections and cheap price tag make this plausible.

This would be big for us. He's a vet, would be cheap. And we only need him for 2 year deal till Miller gets his act together. This makes a lot of sense.

Hopefully a RT will fall into our lap with a June 1st cut

I am normally not one to post a 'get 'er done' thought but I would like the Bills to consider Slauson for RG. Still has some tread, brings solidity and leadership. Velasco notwithstanding, I would still kick the tires

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I'd definitely explore this one. Slauson has been a solid player for a while now, still just 30. Instant pass pro upgrade over Miller.

Fact of the matter is that there are guard-needy teams with more cap room. He'd have to want to play for Rex again.

I'd definitely explore this one. Slauson has been a solid player for a while now, still just 30. Instant pass pro upgrade over Miller.

But would they want a situation where their two starting guards are 30 and 33 and the guy they drafted isn't getting the live bullets to learn? I'm not sure they would unless they really don't feel good about what they saw from Miller last year and everything they have said suggests they do. The cap then factors in as well, obviously.

As I said above if this was a vet tackle with some juice left I think they would be all over it because I think they do believe they have a need at right tackle.... but in their minds I think they are set at guard and are going to look for 2nd year growth from Miller as a way of upgrading what they got in 2015.

Edited by GunnerBill

But would they want a situation where their two starting guards are 30 and 33 and the guy they drafted isn't getting the live bullets to learn? I'm not sure they would unless they really don't feel good about what they saw from Miller last year and everything they have said suggests they do. The cap then factors in as well, obviously.

As I said above if this was a vet tackle with some juice left I think they would be all over it because I think they do believe they have a need at right tackle.... but in their minds I think they are set at guard and are going to look for 2nd year growth from Miller as a way of upgrading what they got in 2015.

Got to explore every avenue to get better. You know I'm comfortable with Miller starting next year but competition is a healthy thing. If Miller beats Slauson in preseason, that's great. The Bills are relatively win-now in their approach, I'd sacrifice a year in Miller's development if the price was right.

As I said pre-draft, I think they're sold on Mills starting at RT, at least for 2016. Rightly or wrongly, I think Kromer loves him. They only brought in Conklin & Decker for visits, I think that was more due diligence on their part than anything else.

Got to explore every avenue to get better. You know I'm comfortable with Miller starting next year but competition is a healthy thing. If Miller beats Slauson in preseason, that's great. The Bills are relatively win-now in their approach, I'd sacrifice a year in Miller's development if the price was right.

As I said pre-draft, I think they're sold on Mills starting at RT, at least for 2016. Rightly or wrongly, I think Kromer loves him. They only brought in Conklin & Decker for visits, I think that was more due diligence on their part than anything else.

This is exactly why I made this thread. What if he DID want to play for Rex (and/or Kromer) again? What if he could beat out Miller? What if he's better than Velasco? He can play all along the interior of the line, just like Velasco. He was a college tackle, so in an absolute emergency, he has that versatility too, although it would likely be disastrous, sometimes you have situations where a guy from the interior does have to slide out.

If I thought that might be the difference between contending for a Championship or not I might agree. I don't think it is. Our run game will be top 5 again regardless. The difference makers for Buffalo this year are Tyrod and the defense.

What is the date when Free Agents can be signed and NOT count toward the net/net FA signings wrt compensatory picks? I don't think Whaley will try to sign anybody until after that date. He wants to acquire some comp pick(s) next year - which will make up for trading away the 2017 4th rounder.

@adamschefter

Former #Bears starting G Matt Slauson has visits scheduled with the #Chargers and #Bills.

@mikerodak

Matt Slauson has a background with Rex Ryan (with NYJ) and Aaron Kromer (with CHI). Bills have likely freed some cap space from Glenn deal.

What is the date when Free Agents can be signed and NOT count toward the net/net FA signings wrt compensatory picks? I don't think Whaley will try to sign anybody until after that date. He wants to acquire some comp pick(s) next year - which will make up for trading away the 2017 4th rounder.

Slauson was cut, so I don't think he would count in that calculation

I had a feeling he'd at least take a look at the Bills because he had played for Rex and Kromer in his previous two stops.

Speculation out there is that he's going to look for the best opportunity to start (basically a given considering his age) and honestly, that might be here in Buffalo even though they are apparently looking at him as an RT. Jordan Mills isn't exactly tough competition.

The Chargers have Dunlap and Joe Barksdale at OT and just kicked DJ Fluker inside to RG, with Orlando Franklin at LG. That lineup might be a little tougher to crack.

Personally I'd wait until after June 1st when rookie minicamps and probably some OTA's have occurred and vets are cut to add someone. Should be more from which to choose.

did him and cog play together at nebraska?

Incognito was drafted in 2005. Slauson was a freshman in the fall of 2005. Just missed each other.

This is exactly why I made this thread. What if he DID want to play for Rex (and/or Kromer) again? What if he could beat out Miller? What if he's better than Velasco? He can play all along the interior of the line, just like Velasco. He was a college tackle, so in an absolute emergency, he has that versatility too, although it would likely be disastrous, sometimes you have situations where a guy from the interior does have to slide out.

I think the Bills ultimately keep Velasco, or Slauson, but not both. They only paid Velasco an $80k signing bonus, and he has an $885k salary as a 7-9 yr vet.

Slauson is younger and would seem to be an upgrade. If they can sign him for a reasonable deal, I think the Bills actually could keep both through training camp, to be sure Slauson wasn't released for performance/undocumented or underdocumented medical reasons a la Chris Williams.

Slauson's salary with the Bears for this season was to be $2.75M.

There's a bunch of media stuff in Chi town puzzled about the Slauson release.

Says they are looking at him for RT but let's be honest, they would move him to G if Miller doesn't pan out

Why would they look at Slauson for RT? He's played his entire career at G and some C. Square peg, round hole?