Best Bills Draft Ever?

How are reaching the conclusion of a dodgy foot without the benefit of the medical report? The Bills didn't see it your way and the guy is a good prospect who's part of the team now.

It's not a conclusion... Just probable cause not to take the kid if there's potential for a nagging injury... What good's a RB with a bad foot?

Look, the Bills saw enough my way to leave me pleased with this Draft... We got better defensive talent than anyone else off the board.... I always ike my big WR's , but I can't seriously complain about a couple of picks I wasn't on board with.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a conclusion... Just probable cause not to take the kid if there's potential for a nagging injury... What good's a RB with a bad foot?

Look, the Bills saw enough my way to leave me pleased with this Draft... We got better defensive talent than anyone else off the board.... I always ike my big WR's , but I can't seriously complain about a couple of picks I wasn't on board with.

My point is that there was no probable cause to not take him because the Bills doctors cleared him with the full knowledge of the medical information. Any "bad foot" commentary on his injury absent of the relevant information doesn't matter.

Same here on pick disagreement. I wanted Braxton Miller instead of Adolphus Washington.

Vince Wolfolk and Dennis Pitta would be nice grabs.

Anybody else concerned about the 4th round RB who was out of football last year because he had his foot amputated?

Well, not amputated actually, but it's like he's one short heart beat away from a bursted-aorta-like loss of his foot... from the knee down. :blink: This sounds like something we should obsess over for the next several weeks, now that The Draft is concluded.

My bad... I thought we were talking about Jonagtren Willametg.... It's fixed now.. -How's Wolfolk doing?

Edited by #34fan

My point is that there was no probable cause to not take him because the Bills doctors cleared him with the full knowledge of the medical information. Any "bad foot" commentary on his injury absent of the relevant information doesn't matter.

Same here on pick disagreement. I wanted Braxton Miller instead of Adolphus Washington.

And my point is that you shouldn't take a guy with an injury cloud hanging over him, while healthier, more useful options are available... Being cleared by medical staff doesn't mean an injury won't re-occur or be exacerbated by the wear and tear of the game.. Often ACL tears result from "planting" (the foot) while simultaneously shifting directions laterally.

If Williams can't plant that foot right, an ACL tear could very well be next on the menu.... Now we've wasted a pick on a guy who may never be ready to go... That outcome, while not written in stone, is still a risk I would have tried harder to avoid... Like you said, he's a Bill now, so I hope he does well...

As for Miller, I wouldn't have minded him that much... He's got familiarity with Jones, and has improved by leaps and bounds at the position... A. Washington was a great pick, IMO... Young, strong, and nimble... Now bring on the coaching...

And my point is that you shouldn't take a guy with an injury cloud hanging over him, while healthier, more useful options are available... Being cleared by medical staff doesn't mean an injury won't re-occur or be exacerbated by the wear and tear of the game.. Often ACL tears result from "planting" (the foot) while simultaneously shifting directions laterally.

If Williams can't plant that foot right, an ACL tear could very well be next on the menu.... Now we've wasted a pick on a guy who may never be ready to go... That outcome, while not written in stone, is still a risk I would have tried harder to avoid... Like you said, he's a Bill now, so I hope he does well...

As for Miller, I wouldn't have minded him that much... He's got familiarity with Jones, and has improved by leaps and bounds at the position... A. Washington was a great pick, IMO... Young, strong, and nimble... Now bring on the coaching...

There is no injury cloud no matter how many ways you say it. If there were, he wouldn't have been drafted by them. You're trying way too hard.

Are you seriously saying your opinion should be taken as more likely than that of the Bills medical staff?

There is no injury cloud no matter how many ways you say it. If there were, he wouldn't have been drafted by them. You're trying way too hard.

It's actually quite simple: NO to running backs who may not be able to RUN in the near future. :lol: -But since his worthless carcass is already here. GO BILLS!

Best draft ever? Doubt it seriously, but who knows... Now, does it look like the draft that made the most sense ever? Maybe.

@MarkLud12

Too many times under Donahoe (McGahee, Parrish), Marv/Jauron (Whitner/McCargo), Modrak/Jauron (Maybin) top picks came out of left field.

@MarkLud12

Too many times under Donahoe (McGahee, Parrish), Marv/Jauron (Whitner/McCargo), Modrak/Jauron (Maybin) top picks came out of left field.

We've spent too many years lost in the land of the senseless. It's time to leave sadness behind......

Agreed. But the tweet does buttress the point you were making about the picks making sense.

Oh, of course! I'm just a happy camper to see picks that seem so solid! Now, it will still take years to see who pans out, but at least I'm not scratching my head and telling myself fibs in the meantime.

@MarkLud12

This is so true and it is why when we finally make the darn play-offs I hope at least a few people here take a second to appreciate Buddy Nix's contribution. Yes he missed some opportunities to answer the QB question but he at least got some discipline back into this organisation in respect how you try and draft and rebuild a roster from the bottom up. He was far from perfect but he was the first GM in what felt like forever to make sensible football decisions the majority of the time. Edited by GunnerBill

i could go on for hours...the talent accumulated is ridiculous...regardless of the results...but to me best part is Whaley knew he had to address the QB situation. Rumors all over trying to get second pick...Denver wants Tyrod..blow it all up, etc. Whether you like Jones or not..DW figures out how to swing for home run, and give both qb's vote of confidence..we're ready to roll into year two of this...tyrod go earn 20 million. EJ go earn a second contract. He figured out how to keep EJ and give him one more shot. I'm not saying come September we don't have Hoyer or somebody backing up, but picking a qb at two would have been a disaster. The draft isn't all about accumulating talent, it's also about motivating the talent you have.

damn good post

We will get to see who steps up. I think overall this has to be one of the best drafts.

( I loved the move to get Sammy, lot of you did not like it when it happened.)

I was one, without question

Anybody else concerned about the 4th round RB who was out of football last year because he had his foot amputated?

Well, not amputated actually, but it's like he's one short heart beat away from a bursted-aorta-like loss of his foot... from the knee down. :blink: This sounds like something we should obsess over for the next several weeks, now that The Draft is concluded.

i have concerns. and this post is just cracking the can of sardines in oil open.

time well tell

cop out

; )

This is so true and it is why when we finally make the darn play-offs I hope at least a few people here take a second to appreciate Buddy Nix's contribution. Yes he missed some opportunities to answer the QB question but he at least got some discipline back into this organisation in respect how you try and draft and rebuild a roster from the bottom up. He was far from perfect but he was the first GM in what felt like forever to make sensible football decisions the majority of the time.

Yes I agree with this premise. As a matter of fact, it may well underrated by many on this board, Buddy laid the foundation. Far from perfect for sure, better than most credit him for!

I think this is Whaleys best draft ON PAPER. Because ON PAPER We out drafted everyone in the AFC East easily. We got 3 day one starters with Shaq OLB/DE, Reggie ILB, and Listenbee (WR3), 2 stud depth players in Adolphus Washington at DT (to replace Kyle eventually), and the best Williams available pick at RB we took in the 5th that had a 3rd round grade (we are a running team, now we have 4 capable RBs, 3 young with upside that are not named Bryce Brown and Boom Heron), a developmental boom or bust QB that could be Cam 2.0 or clip holder 2.0, and a CB that had a 1st round grade before the season started until the shenanigans at USC kinda shaded him in the media. We filled every whole our defense had except for Saftey. Listenbee has less of a chance of getting inJured then Goodwin bc he has more weight and is a little taller. Listenbee is great to have bc even though he has to work on his route tree, he kills people on the Go route and thats gonna take a safety off Watkins after one of TTs long bombs to Listenbee burns them for a TD. I am pleased with this draft even though S and RT went un-addressed. ON PAPER it was a great draft and we did better then the rest of the AFCE. As we all know games arent played on paper so its gonna be a nice long 3 months before **** gets real.

^^THIS

Very good draft. Wouldvr preferred Billings over Washington bc we need a nose but I'm very happy with it.

Interesting quote from Rex (paraphrased):

"We're gonna run a 5-2 like I did in Baltimore and when I was first with the Jets. Shaq is on the outside and Jerry will be opposite. But in the middle, you'll have Marcell, Kyle and Corbin/Adolphus. But where will they be? Who knows. And the offense won't know either. We won't be predictable like we were last year when you knew who the SAM was every down and other things."

So, we didn't want a nose because we're not running a 3-4 base...which is news to many of us.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

^^THIS

"We're gonna run a 5-2 like I did in Baltimore and when I was first with the Jets. Shaq is on the outside and Jerry will be opposite. But in the middle, you'll have Marcell, Kyle and Corbin/Adolphus. But where will they be? Who knows. And the offense won't know either. We won't be predictable like we were last year when you knew who the SAM was every down and other things."

So, we didn't want a nose because we're not running a 3-4 base...which is news to many of us.

Nice scoop I did not know that, makes sense as to why we didnt take Billings, Im gonna enjoy watching all the new players in august we had a hell of a draft.

I try not to worry too much about the individual players. It's not like I actually know anything, so what's the point in having an opinion about stuff like bad shoulders, enlarged aortas, or the upside of various QB prospects.

What I did notice is that we seemed to get really really lucky. We had "high value" prospects at need positions and made the necessary decisions to get them.

I wasn't in love with most of the players we drafted when I was looking at the prospects pre-draft but what do I know? Everything seemed to click into place like I've never seen before.

Nice scoop I did not know that, makes sense as to why we didnt take Billings, Im gonna enjoy watching all the new players in august we had a hell of a draft.

i'm pretty sure I heard Whaley say in one of the pressers that billings wasn't on their board--medical maybe?

One thing we can all agree to: no matter how it plays out, this was a weird draft that saw a lot of talent slide down into our picking position, more than once.

We definitely got players we shouldn't have based on draft day projections.

In that regard, it was a great draft.

We hopefully got 2 starting difference makers on D, that alone is great.

And who knows...what if Cardale turns out to be something special!?

One thing we can all agree to: no matter how it plays out, this was a weird draft that saw a lot of talent slide down into our picking position, more than once.

We definitely got players we shouldn't have based on draft day projections.

In that regard, it was a great draft.

We hopefully got 2 starting difference makers on D, that alone is great.

And who knows...what if Cardale turns out to be something special!?

Agree dude. 3 Great to good defensive players and 1 developmental CB that has great attributes. On the other side of the ball we got a sleeper RB with awesome attributes and moves on tape, a hit or miss QB to develop, and a speed demon WR WHO FIGHTS FOR THE BALL, has the muscle mass to not be made out of glass, and doesnt do track hes all football. The draft was good to us this year

I think jones has better NFL skills than Pryor but Pryor was a more accomplished player than Jones in college.

Pryor played a lot more than Jones in college, which certainly can help one become more accomplished.

The drafts that led to the Super Bowl teams weren't too shabby.

^^THIS

Sounds good to me

• 3 weeks later...

I really like last year's draft, so I certainly don't count as a draft day naysayer. But ... I really, really don't like this year's draft.

- guy with a shoulder injury who isn't considered an elite talent at 19th overall. Yes, it was 19th overall, not in the top 5, but if there's any injury risk at all (beyond the norm), I'd like to see elite talent. Think Myles Jack.

Even though Myles Jack DEFINATELY has an injury that might now allow him to get to his next contract....meanwhile Shaq (who was supposed to go top 10) has a shoulder thing that has not hampered him in any way at all and has been checked out by doctors. Even if he needs the surgury its a shoulder....not a knee like Myles Jack.

- guy thought to be a 2-down linebacker in Round 2. OK, but is there much upside there?

In case your not watching the current NFL.....most LB's are becoming 2 down players because they put safeties on the field on 3rd down. Even so.....Reggie Ragland is no Brandon Spikes....he needs to keep his weight down and then he actually has some movement skills. Even so....another 1st round talent taken in the 2nd round.

- passed on all QBs who have a realistic chance of being ready to start when Tyrod's contract is up after this season.

NONE of these QBs are starting....even Wentz and Goff might have to sit the bench for a while.....so they took a high upside QB with all the tools with the intention of having him play the assback for a year.

- a RB in the 4th round. Is he clearly better than a guy you could get as an UDFA? History would suggest no.

When players started going down this last year.....we were playing guys like Boom Herron and UDFA running backs....injury after injury.......it was not until the 3/4 point of the year we got lucky with Gillaslee.....translation....WE ARE A RUNNING TEAM AND NEED A STABLE OF RBs that can actually play.....this Wiliams kid is a STUD

- a speedburner receiver in the 5th. Yes, it's the 5th. But haven't Graham and Goodwin taught them anything?

So we should stop trying to draft speed when our QB has a nice deep ball? Really.

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

If you look a little closer....You can see they stuck fairly close to their board while filling needs at nearly every postiion.

I'd say it's the worst I've felt about a draft in recent memory ...

I think we are gonna get to preseason and your gonna already be changing your tune.

I just thought that just maybe it was just about time to just bump this one ... :D

I just thought that just maybe it was just about time to just bump this one ... :D

This should be a good time. The thing about good information that often gets overlooked is the importance of the timeliness of that information.

If Lawson plays as expected no one will care he got surgery early.

It is already established that he won't be playing, correct?

Why not post "If Rex coaches well, everyone will forget thinking he sucked."? Lawson won't be playing and unless he is hit by lightning, bitten by a spider, or exposed to secrets via time travel, Rex won't be coaching well either.

It is already established that he won't be playing, correct?

Why not post "If Rex coaches well, everyone will forget thinking he sucked."? Lawson won't be playing and unless he is hit by lightning, bitten by a spider, or exposed to secrets via time travel, Rex won't be coaching well either.

He will play this season, from all reports.

I expect Sh. Lawson and R. Ragland to be very good players. Those were easy picks for the Bills. Heck, FireChan could have made those picks and came out looking like a genius. They were both top 15 rated players.

What could make this an historic draft for the Bills and one of the best ever is if QB C. Jones eventually becomes a franchise QB.

And it could happen.

I'm fine with the first 3 picks actually. My issue is that they're all reasonably calculated to make the Bills as good as they were in 2014 and 2015. Goodbye Mario, hello Lawson (worse than Mario 2014, better than Mario 2015). Goodbye Brandon Spikes, hello Ragland. Goodbye Stefan Charles, hello Adolphus Washington. I'm just not seeing a plan to get beyond the "we project at 8-8, maybe if we get a few lucky bounces or some other teams tank we can squeak into the playoffs in 2016." It was a cautious draft; I think we needed a bold draft.

So your answer would be to not draft guys to replace the ones we lost? I don't get it. You have 3 potential starters in the first three rounds, a developmental QB with huge upside, some depth at WR and RB and another potential starter in the 7th round. I don't see how we could have done much better than this and most people agree.