RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

So why didn't he go Top 15? He's a "hair on fire" player with limited athleticism who made plays on a stacked defense. His passrush moves are non-existent - lean and push. IMO he's just a role player not an elite talent. But I guess Rex needs someone who will set the edge without complaint and won't divide the locker room.

so he should have gone top 15 but since he went 19 he's no good? Some of you scouts here are funny. You know so much about these players

Edited by nucci

@SInow

And that's a wrap. @SI_DougFarrar has grades and analysis of each first-round NFL draft pick http://on.si.com/1T8Xu2D

ChLke8vWkAEuWcB.jpg

bills_150.png
19. Buffalo Bills
GRADE: B
Don't call Lawson a one-year wonder—it was tough for him to find starting time earlier in his career along Clemson's deep line. He amassed 35 solo tackles, 12.5 sacks and 24.5 tackles for loss in 2015, and he combined the edge speed to beat tackles outside with the power to move guards inside. He's not the same type of player as Mario Williams, but he may put up similar pressure numbers over time. He needs a little technique work, but where better to hone that than within a Rex Ryan defense?

i think Rex will take advantage of different matchups based on opponent. He had Hughes line up in a number of different ways last year and I think he will use them both to create mismatches.

or matchups

Yeah, I get that and along those lines is what I am thinking (meant to say but didnt?). Playing to their strengths, literally in Shaq's case by playing him on the strong side and taking advantage of his strength and power, while utilizing Hughes speed off the edge off the weakside to create isolation situations for him.

Regardless, Shaq does help diversify the defense and options on the edge.

Yeah, I get that and along those lines is what I am thinking (meant to say but didnt?). Playing to their strengths, literally in Shaq's case by playing him on the strong side and taking advantage of his strength and power, while utilizing Hughes speed off the edge off the weakside to create isolation situations for him.

Regardless, Shaq does help diversify the defense and options on the edge.

And his teammates absolutely love him, so he adds value in the defensive huddle.

hilarious, every mock every projection every ranking I see has Lawson rated higher than 19. he falls to us at 19 phils a huge need and people whine about not drafting a LB who will probably sit the entire 1st year and 30 other teams passed up on, or B word about project QB like Paxton

Solid pick, all there is to it at this point.

He was pretty highly graded coming into the draft, and we got him at 19, so it would seem we got good value at a position of need. Smart picking by the Bills FO. Unlike previous regimes, we didnt pass on top talent to reach for need.

Im not going to get too excited about all of the "A" and "B" grades coming out, since as we all know from when we get the bad grades, they mean nothing right now.

I do wonder what our DLine is going to look like though. Picking an NT made sense since it would let Dareus and Kyle move a bit out from the center, where they are more effective. Who is going to hold down that nose now? And if it is our 2nd rd pick, then are we already phasing out Kyle?

hilarious, every mock every projection every ranking I see has Lawson rated higher than 19. he falls to us at 19 phils a huge need and people whine about not drafting a LB who will probably sit the entire 1st year and 30 other teams passed up on, or B word about project QB like Paxton

I don't think I'm whining, I just don't love the pick. But I'm admittedly no scout.

Mostly BBFS naysayers stuck in 2015 I hate Rex mode.

Coples sucks....But the comparison seems accurate.

Hopefully he turns out better then that.

yes, I'm comparing to the position played, not coples per se. I think Lawson will be an upgrade against the run ( over Mario) because of attitude more than ability...

What do you know?

Clearly this franchise has demonstrated they know what they are doing..... Yes, yes I know. BBFS. :rolleyes:

Yes. The Bills really screwed up by taking a highly rated player at a clear position of need. What an incompetent bunch. :rolleyes:

Solid pick, all there is to it at this point.

He was pretty highly graded coming into the draft, and we got him at 19, so it would seem we got good value at a position of need. Smart picking by the Bills FO. Unlike previous regimes, we didnt pass on top talent to reach for need.

Im not going to get too excited about all of the "A" and "B" grades coming out, since as we all know from when we get the bad grades, they mean nothing right now.

I do wonder what our DLine is going to look like though. Picking an NT made sense since it would let Dareus and Kyle move a bit out from the center, where they are more effective. Who is going to hold down that nose now? And if it is our 2nd rd pick, then are we already phasing out Kyle?

you don't take an NT over a position that requires more athleticism. They can get the space-eater with a later pick. Shaq's teammate would look good in the middle.

you don't take an NT over a position that requires more athleticism. They can get the space-eater with a later pick. Shaq's teammate would look good in the middle.

Yeah good point, I like Reader later and a Safety or OLB in the 2nd. Its just tough for me to pass on a mean dude like Reed if he is there, especially knowing he may end up in NE.

I don't mind the pick. I'm happy they went BPA and that guy happens to be a pass rusher which is even better....I rarely watch college FB so I don't know much about Lawson other then he was a top rated defensive lineman.

I'm just commenting on the mentality of a lot of people on this board. The guy stated his opinion on Lawson and people get pissed at him because its not a positive one....

It has nothing to do with any mentality. A more informed critique would have garnered less of a negative reaction.

Welcome to TSW! Take your coat off and stay awhile.

And his teammates absolutely love him, so he adds value in the defensive huddle.

Yeah, his attitude/mentality/instincts/inner dog are all big time pluses as intangibles which IMO are elite level. I am not a high on him as many, but I think he's the OLB/DE hybrid type the defense needs (complement to Hughes), diversifies the front and a solid pick at 19.

My comp on him is: Courtney Upshaw, only Lawson is a much better pass rusher. IMO he is what people thought Courtney Upshaw could develop into.

I don't mind the pick. I'm happy they went BPA and that guy happens to be a pass rusher which is even better....I rarely watch college FB so I don't know much about Lawson other then he was a top rated defensive lineman.

I'm just commenting on the mentality of a lot of people on this board. The guy stated his opinion on Lawson and people get pissed at him because its not a positive one....

Not everyone is going to like every player, but being critical after the pick is not going to be popular on here. If it was a guy someone really doubted through the draft process they would be better off linking their old posts which detailed their concerns. If you wait til after a pick is made and then jump up and down about why you dislike it then it reeks of a Debbie Downer.

Very underwhelming, uninspired pick but as long as they don't use him as an excuse to pass on other pass rush prospects in this draft or future drafts it is just an isolated issue.

If you want to know what I mean......think Chris Kelsay and the years of suffering we had to endure because they adored his high motor.

Shaq is not really an NFL pass rusher at this point and as I explained in the face of the Reggie Ragnuts/Jarran Reed love the first round is about passing and stopping the pass game and true to form run gamers were all but banned from the first round.

Shaq doesn't have the bend or the frame or the long arms or handwork of a pass rusher and it shows in how he is always leaning on offensive tackles.....that's the surest way for a 260# DE to get and stay blocked in the NFL.

He is an overrated try-hard IMO and it seems like every year there are 1-2 of these types of guys that just HAVE to be selected by an NFL team because they have good character and a high motor.

My comparisons are Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram.

Those are replacement level players and nothing you'd pay much for in free agency.

Ingram had something of a breakout year this year.......but he's been a 4 sack kinda guy....and he and Shaq are VERY similar athletes.......if anything Ingram might have been a bit more athletic having dropped into coverage at lot at South Carolina.

I'd love it if I am wrong and he turns into one of those players who transcends his physical ability and dominates behind the LOS.......Tamba Hali? I'll take that!!..... but on the hoof he's not that impressive and I don't really see where Mayock gets that comparison.

My pick, as always would have been a QB......Paxton Lynch was the top one there IMO.

Myles Jack was the best player in the draft IMO but I get why they passed......if the knee is that bad then so be it.......but for those who assume microfracture is a death sentence, Bruce Smith had it done and played another 10 years, was NFL DPOY etc. Great talents who are committed to the game can overcome it. Jack is a rare talent...a Sammy Watkins like talent. Jadeveon Clowney never wanted to be great. I don't think his knee is what's holding him back at this point.

With an understanding of why they passed on Lynch and Jack......I think they made a mistake passing on William Jackson........Cinci once again rakes a top 10 talent because other teams are reaching around it for need.

Bills would be thrilled if he pays like Ingram did in '15.

Btw,Ingram was the 18th overall pick. Upshaw was projected first but sent early in 2nd. Upshaw disappointed, Ingram had a breakout year after healing from the knee injury. That's what set him back in 13

Edited by GG

Not everyone is going to like every player, but being critical after the pick is not going to be popular on here. If it was a guy someone really doubted through the draft process they would be better off linking their old posts which detailed their concerns. If you wait til after a pick is made and then jump up and down about why you dislike it then it reeks of a Debbie Downer.

Yup. I'd like to see all of the "I hope we don't take Lawson if he's there at 19" posts from those bemoaning the pick.

My thoughts exactly. Ingram is a good comparison but you're right, Ingram is even more athletic and was used to playing coverage by the time he was drafted. Lawson is a locker room leader but not an elite athlete. I wanted Jack at that pick or if not, take the trade down opportunity. The Rex connection destroys this pick for me - they again bent to their vociferous head coach and it's costing them wins. Pisses me off.

"I wanted"? Who cares what you "wanted"?

This pick is "costing them wins"?

And you wonder why people rag on your "opinion" (because we wouldn't want to call it whining).