Mock - Paxton Lynch

Virgil

I've now seen two mocks, one on sport line where Paxton Lynch goes top 15. Based off the amount of attention we've thrown his way, I wonder if a trade up would happen.

I'm not advocating that. I honesty don't see any standout talent for us, just a lot of depth. I'm a TT guy, but also understand that he can get hurt. So if it's a qb that we can lock up for 5 years that could end up being the guy, I'll trust the front office to make that call.

Personally, with such a deep draft, I'd prefer to trade out of the first and get the Stanford or penn state kid in the 4th round or later

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've now seen two mocks, one on sport line where Paxton Lynch goes top 15. Based off the amount of attention we've thrown his way, I wonder if a trade up would happen.

I'm not advocating that. I honesty don't see any standout talent for us, just a lot of depth. I'm a TT guy, but also understand that he can get hurt. So if it's a qb that we can lock up for 5 years that could end up being the guy, I'll trust the front office to make that call.

Personally, with such a deep draft, I'd prefer to trade out of the first and get the Stanford or penn state kid in the 4th round or later

Every player in the league can get hurt.

Agreed, but mobile qb's not named Cam are more prone to it. As TT showed last year. If someone put odds on him finishing a full season heathy, I wouldn't take 50/5 on it.

what about Roethlisberger? He gets hurt every year

Yeah really. But they do have EJ locked up for another 2-3 years....

If there is one thing Whaley knows...it's scouting/drafting a QB.

Top 10 for Lynch wouldn't surprise me at all. He won't make it out of the teens for sure. If the Browns move back from 2 you have to think it is because they like Lynch as much or better than whichever of Wentz/Goff makes it to them.

Top 10 for Lynch wouldn't surprise me at all. He won't make it out of the teens for sure. If the Browns move back from 2 you have to think it is because they like Lynch as much or better than whichever of Wentz/Goff makes it to them.

I think if the Browns move back then it is to stockpile picks and they take Cardale in Round 2.

Every player in the league can get hurt.

Every player isn't the focus of the defense, with plays designed to attack him whenever he has the ball. But then, you know that. It's just fun to act like TT is just another QB, not a smallish QB, that runs the ball a lot.

Every player isn't the focus of the defense, with plays designed to attack him whenever he has the ball. But then, you know that. It's just fun to act like TT is just another QB, not a smallish QB, that runs the ball a lot.

Like I mentioned earlier....what about Roethlisberger......he seems to be hurt often...he's not a smallish QB who runs the ball a lot

Agreed, but mobile qb's not named Cam are more prone to it. As TT showed last year. If someone put odds on him finishing a full season heathy, I wouldn't take 50/5 on it.

How about 10 to 1 instead?

I think if the Browns move back then it is to stockpile picks and they take Cardale in Round 2.

I don't buy the Cardale hype. He's got great raw physical talent and he's very smart, but he is a total project. It'll take years for a team to get him developed enough to see what they've got. That's why he's a Day 3 pick.

We need to draft a QB this year Lynch, Cook, Goff or Wentz. We need one. I don't want to be the Broncos of next year. Where a QB wants $20MM dollars and he is no where near worth it and you are left with nothing.

This is the truth. I suppose Tyrod COULD improve, but if he stays what he is, he's exactly what you say.

As far as Lynch is concerned, if he's still there at 19, Whaley will be hard-pressed to pass on him. imho

So what?

So...just because you have a smallish QB who runs a lot doesn't mean he's necessarily more prone to injury than a big, strong, non-mobile QB.

Lynch is actually pretty mobile.

Referring to Roethlisberger.

Edit: Hooray! 10,000th post...

Edited by Rubes

Like I mentioned earlier....what about Roethlisberger......he seems to be hurt often...he's not a smallish QB who runs the ball a lot

So...just because you have a smallish QB who runs a lot doesn't mean he's necessarily more prone to injury than a big, strong, non-mobile QB.

You guys can stick with cherry-picked individual cases, and I'll go with physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXunnaaYtz0

We need to hold out on a QB and go all in on Watson next year if it's a QB we're after. We better not trade up for Lynch in the 1st, nor even take a QB in the 1st.

yep. trade down and prepare to trade up next year fr all the marbles.

Unless.... Tyrod takes the big step into his big boy QB britches. He just might , but i am thinking next seasons draft is the time to go for it if need be.

How about 10 to 1 instead?

: )

I don't buy the Cardale hype. He's got great raw physical talent and he's very smart, but he is a total project. It'll take years for a team to get him developed enough to see what they've got. That's why he's a Day 3 pick.

as he should be. But you never know about teams chasing QBs in the draft.

So 30 yds rushing in a season is running a lot? Didn't know.

Mobile and scrambling are 2 completely different things.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

So 30 yds rushing in a season is running a lot? Didn't know.

Mobile and scrambling are 2 completely different things.

I think he meant Roethlisberger is not [a smallish QB who runs a lot], as opposed to [a smallish QB] who runs a lot.

I don't think anybody would say Roethlisberger runs a lot.

Just some thoughts - Ragland in the 1st, Cook in the Second, best available DE in the 3rd OR
1st - Lynch
2nd - BA (Best Available) LB
3rd - BA DE
Other viable options in the first, if available, would be Lawson or Dodd. I really feel that we're going to target Cook in the 2nd though since I don't see Lynch dropping past the top 10 - 15 spots.

Edited by BuffaloFan68

I think he meant Roethlisberger is not [a smallish QB who runs a lot], as opposed to [a smallish QB] who runs a lot.

I don't think anybody would say Roethlisberger runs a lot.

Thank you...I've given up trying to make my point.

Every team needs TWO good QBs for competition and in case one of them gets injured. Taylor is a good QB, but the Bills need to hedge their bet and select the best possible QB in this draft when they get the chance.

In a QB driven league why is it that so many people on this board think it's just fine to settle for Hogan or C. Jones when the Bills have the opportunity to draft P. Lynch??

We can't beat the Patriots because their QB is much better than ours. Many, if not most, of the games that are played in the NFL come down to which team has the better QB play. Have you not been paying attention??????????????????????????????????????????

Lynch is capable of being the best QB in this draft and he just may fall right into our lap. Whaley knows it, but he might not be able to take the chance that some team would swoop in and steal him right from under our noses just prior to the #19 overall pick.

I think it's a no brainer..........if Lynch is available at #19, you take him.

3. PAXTON LYNCH, Memphis (6-6 ½, 246, 4.83, 1): Fourth-year junior. "He's the guy I like," one scout said. "He's got the poise, the vision. You can see what Memphis has done since he's been there. Guy beat Mississippi and put Memphis on the map. Good athlete. Got all the things I look for in a guy." Only other offers out of Deltona, Fla., were from Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman. "For a tall guy he doesn't act like (Dan) McGwire or somebody," another scout said. "He can get out of trouble. He can run. He can make all the throws. Accuracy is good, not great. Just give him a minute … but Jacksonville gave (Blake) Bortles only four games." His 36-inch vertical jump tied Cardale Jones for best effort among QBs. His passer rating of 93.5 included 110.6 in '15. "You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out," a third scout said. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different." Added a fourth scout: "The overall maturity level and disposition, I'd be a bit concerned. Big kid, strong arm. But he's a ways away mentally." Wonderlic of 18.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

I hope we avoid taking this guy. Found this article though. It's actually a good write-up on all of the QB's.

Edited by H2o

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

I hope we avoid taking this guy. Found this article though. It's actually a good write-up on all of the QB's.

Wentz looks like the pick of that litter. Goff is going to struggle I think. Lynch sounds like a bit of a moron because of "the mental", as scouts seem to put these things.

Wentz looks like the pick of that litter. Goff is going to struggle I think. Lynch sounds like a bit of a moron because of "the mental", as scouts seem to put these things.

Yeah, I wouldn't say moron, but he did run a dumbed down offense. No changes in protection, no audibles at the line, none of that

I think the Bills will take Lynch at #19 overall......if he's there. The Jets will certainly take him at #20 overall if the Bills don't.

Whaley may even feel like he needs to trade up to get Lynch.

The Bills missed out on QB Ben Roethlisberger many years ago when he was selected just one pick in front of them. Just think about the direction the Bills might have followed had they made a move for QB Rberger instead of settling for WR Lee Evans.

You don't pass up the chance to draft a good QB when you have the chance.......well you can, but you won't be employed by an NFL team for very long.

I think the Bills will take Lynch at #19 overall......if he's there. The Jets will certainly take him at #20 overall if the Bills don't.

Whaley may even feel like he needs to trade up to get Lynch.

The Bills missed out on QB Ben Roethlisberger many years ago when he was selected just one pick in front of them. Just think about the direction the Bills might have followed had they made a move for QB Rberger instead of settling for WR Lee Evans.

You don't pass up the chance to draft a good QB when you have the chance.......well you can, but you won't be employed by an NFL team for very long.

Lynch is not Ben Ro.... sorry