Rex to introduce Trump in Buffalo

If you had to choose between the two options below identify which would you prefer and why?

1) Trump is owner of the Bills. Trump does not run for president. The franchise is not staying in Buffalo.

2) Trump becomes president. Pegula is owner of the Bills. The franchise stays in Buffalo.

[raises hand] Under scenario #2, would members of the Bills be able to represent the Western New York District in the inevitable hunger games?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you who seem to be outraged by this, are you angry about Rex endorsing Trump specifically, or just that he vocally endorsed a candidate on general and it isn't right for such a high profile person to use their platform to do so?

Because if it is about his specific endorsement, you really need to get a grip, especially if you're considering this being a reason for not buying tickets. As a Libertarian I constantly have to deal with celebrities endorsing big government solutions to issues, which I find appalling, but if I boycotted every one of them, I would have no entertainment left but to sit at home with my pud in my hand.

Those of you who seem to be outraged by this, are you angry about Rex endorsing Trump specifically, or just that he vocally endorsed a candidate on general and it isn't right for such a high profile person to use their platform to do so?

Because if it is about his specific endorsement, you really need to get a grip, especially if you're considering this being a reason for not buying tickets. As a Libertarian I constantly have to deal with celebrities endorsing big government solutions to issues, which I find appalling, but if I boycotted every one of them, I would have no entertainment left but to sit at home with my pud in my hand.

nah, not outraged or disappointed at all. you are free to support whom you want. i merely speak to the point that well, in terms of "losing respect" for one based upon their views or support of another individual's views is very human and is exactly what you would expect in a democracy. people call it "hating" or say "that's what's wrong with america", when indeed that's exactly what's right with america haha. freedom to decide, feel, and speak.

to stifle one's opinions and label them as a "hater" or this or that is silly.

I'm not "outraged" by anything. I just kind of already thought Rex was a bozo and now I think he's more of a bozo than I already thought he was. I'll still be rooting for the Bills come September. But this is just a bozo move any way you cut it. It's predictable and it's embarrassing.

If you've ever paid attention to the stated politics of the posters who have commented most negatively about this meaningless 'event', you'd know the answer to that question.

I missed something. Did someone say free speech should be suppressed?

This is one that certain people can't wrap their head around. No one said that Rex speaking tonight should be illegal. Reminds me a lot of when Hank Williams, Jr. got fired from MNF for comparing Obama to Hitler. No one said that he should be imprisoned for it. But it's ESPN's freedom of speech to fire him for it. Just like no one thinks Rex Ryan should suffer legal consequences for this but I can certainly reserve the right to think less of him for it.

The political process in America is important. It's good for people to get involved.

But as a leader, you shouldn't risk alienating members of your team by publicly supporting a political candidate, especially one this divisive.

Trump doesn't poll well with minorities. Various polls among black voters show Trump's support ranging from 4-12%. I suspect Trump wouldn't poll well in the Bills locker room, Richie's support notwithstanding. When so many blacks - and others - consider Donald a racist, why would you risk damaging your connection with them by supporting him?

When I was an army officer, the higher brass frowned on us making political statements. Publicly, we weren't Republicans or Democrats. We were simply Americans.

Publicly, Rex shouldn't be a Trump or Clinton supporter. He should be a Bills supporter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-and-the-black-vote/

Come on, not what number. I would bet my life savings that he couldn't name ten players from the Super Bowl era teams right now.

First of all, the number is literally the first thing associated with a player.

Second, I really wouldn't be surprised if he could. For someone who knows Jim Kelly personally and was an owner in a competing league shortly before that, nd a guy who bid on the team, to not know ten players from that era would be shocking.

First of all, the number is literally the first thing associated with a player.

Second, I really wouldn't be surprised if he could. For someone who knows Jim Kelly personally and was an owner in a competing league shortly before that, nd a guy who bid on the team, to not know ten players from that era would be shocking.

I would be shocked if he could. He'd have to know who like Kent Hull is. No way. Show me a link where he says he roots for the Bills over the Giants and that they are distinctly his favorite NFL team.

I would be shocked if he could. He'd have to know who like Kent Hull is. No way. Show me a link where he says he roots for the Bills over the Giants and that they are distinctly his favorite NFL team.

I never said they were his favorite team. I actually would have assumed he's either a Giants fan due to his NY background, or a Pats* fan, cause of his buddy Tom Brady.

I never said they were his favorite team. I actually would have assumed he's either a Giants fan due to his NY background, or a Pats* fan, cause of his buddy Tom Brady.

Look, aside from real estate the guy clearly doesn't know much about anything. It does not surprise me that he was good to Jim Kelly, who is a celebrity and, I'm sure, a Republican. But no way he's a legitimate Bills fan. No way. If you believe that, you believe he "LOVES" the people of North Dakota. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Is it just me, or is this thread more civil than the one over on the stadium wall?

Because this is a johnny come lately bash trump thread on this forum. Plenty of other opportunities here.

This is the problem with America today. If people don't agree with us we don't respect them. This is the genesis of hate in our country not the actual differences of opinion.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Well, was really on the fence about getting season tickets and this definitely did not help.

I will never let the HC's political position affect my fanhood. And I say "never" because I know that if I did, this example of Rex would do it.

If you had to choose between the two options below identify which would you prefer and why?

1) Trump is owner of the Bills. Trump does not run for president. The franchise is not staying in Buffalo.

2) Trump becomes president. Pegula is owner of the Bills. The franchise stays in Buffalo.

[raises hand] Under scenario #2, would members of the Bills be able to represent the Western New York District in the inevitable hunger games?

Jimmy, great question. I'm not sure how the districts will be separated in this scenario. Still, whichever they end up in they are eligible to be selected. When making your final decision, also consider how the Bills player and/or coach handles Upstate NY weather. Edited by spillerhighlife

not necessarily. in this case this man has said some pretty powerfully ridiculous things. things that quite honestly, i find less than desirable for a president to say. whether in office, or in the running. so yea if a person is supporting of those kinds of views, then yea, you've lost my respect.

people seem to forget that he's said some pretty inflammatory things. maybe since they are NOT pointed toward your demographic it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is.

and if you want to talk hate...well, look at trump's views and comments centered around certain minorities. there's your hate.

You don't think every politician says ridiculous and outrageous things? Seriously? Hillary constantly lies and let 4 Americans get brutally murdered. Cruz says he won't run a campaign of insults right before he insults them. I can't believe how much I pay in taxes and Bernie wants more - his model of taxation isn't possible.

The Donald certainly says some wacky things - I think he's fitting in nicely with a bunch of politician scumbags. They all lie to us - isn't that obvious?

You hear what you want to hear.

Guy's a football coach, not an all-knowing, all-seeing Messiah.

If you're losing respect for him because he supports Trump, the problem is that you had too much respect for him to begin with.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to buy what Trump is selling.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to buy what Trump is selling.

I know right. They should buy into Hillary really loves black people and that Bernie thinks he can actually tax everyone at 70% to pay for all the free stuff.

Wow lots of people missing the boat on this one. Tom Brady has expressed his love for trump and even dissed Obama after the Patriots last Super Bowl. I suppose you guys all would have ditched your season tickets and stopped watching him put up pinball machine numbers. Yeah right, it's just easy to whine when your team isn't at the pinnacle of the mountain.

Bernie thinks he can actually tax everyone at 70% to pay for all the free stuff.

Sounds like a plan to me.... but then my politics would be far too "European" for the majority of you and you can console yourself in the fact that I have no say in who you elect as your next President.

As far as Rex introducing Trump, I simply couldn't care less. Rex is entitled to introduce and vote for whoever he wants. I will judge him only by whether he does his job properly this season. When he doesn't do his job properly then these sideshow events just give people an opportunity to criticise him and last season he did not do his job properly. If the Bills were 11-5 last year this wouldn't even be a story. Get the defensive calls in on time, get this team to the play-offs and the fanbase will not care which politician he wants to be photographed with, and nor should they.

Sounds like a plan to me.... but then my politics would be far too "European" for the majority of you and you can console yourself in the fact that I have no say in who you elect as your next President.

As far as Rex introducing Trump, I simply couldn't care less. Rex is entitled to introduce and vote for whoever he wants. I will judge him only by whether he does his job properly this season. When he doesn't do his job properly then these sideshow events just give people an opportunity to criticise him and last season he did not do his job properly. If the Bills were 11-5 last year this wouldn't even be a story. Get the defensive calls in on time, get this team to the play-offs and the fanbase will not care which politician he wants to be photographed with, and nor should they.

This sounds right on to me.

On a side note, if Rex was introducing Hillary or Bernie, would the very left leaning Western New York community be so rattled by that??

You don't think every politician says ridiculous and outrageous things? Seriously? Hillary constantly lies and let 4 Americans get brutally murdered. Cruz says he won't run a campaign of insults right before he insults them. I can't believe how much I pay in taxes and Bernie wants more - his model of taxation isn't possible.

The Donald certainly says some wacky things - I think he's fitting in nicely with a bunch of politician scumbags. They all lie to us - isn't that obvious?

They do all lie, except for Bernie, who believes what he's saying, whether we agree with him or not.

That said, having the thinnest skinned person I have ever seen in public life making important decisions is personally terrifying to me.

They do all lie, except for Bernie, who believes what he's saying, whether we agree with him or not.

That said, having the thinnest skinned person I have ever seen in public life making important decisions is personally terrifying to me.

Honestly, it is terrifying that trump could possibly be in charge of our nuclear arsenal. Absolutely terrifying.

Urban Meyer publically endorses and supports John Kasich for president

I don't agree with many of Kasich's policies

This doesn't change how I view urban Meyer.

... Same goes for Rex's support of Trump. Don't care.

Urban's endorsement also doesn't change how I view Kasich. There is some thought, however, that urban's endorsement is the only reason Kasich won the state primary.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Exactly. Free speech should be suppressed and politically correctness should reign.

There are a lot of Constituationally protected, yet very stupid, things that people can do. That was one of them. Edited by BarleyNY

I know right. They should buy into Hillary really loves black people and that Bernie thinks he can actually tax everyone at 70% to pay for all the free stuff.

All of what you just said is untrue but knock yourself out believing it.

This sounds right on to me.

On a side note, if Rex was introducing Hillary or Bernie, would the very left leaning Western New York community be so rattled by that??

What rattles me is Trump is the only candidate openly using hate speech against groups of people. That's a big line to cross. And that's not just failing to be PC. That's inciting hatred.

Urban Meyer publically endorses and supports John Kasich for president

I don't agree with many of Kasich's policies

This doesn't change how I view urban Meyer.

... Same goes for Rex's support of Trump. Don't care.

Urban's endorsement also doesn't change how I view Kasich. There is some thought, however, that urban's endorsement is the only reason Kasich won the state primary.

Pretty much the same scenario as 99% of Hollywood and musician types openly endorsing uber regressive causes.

Sanders wants to block all fracking, which is crazy

Any loss of life is tragic but it's funny how Benghazi is such a thing. Ever hear of the USS Cole? Over 300 US service men killed by a terrorist attack in Lebanon under Ronnie Reagan's watch. How many hearings did that get? Bupkis.

Any loss of life is tragic but it's funny how Benghazi is such a thing. Ever hear of the USS Cole? Over 300 US service men killed by a terrorist attack in Lebanon under Ronnie Reagan's watch. How many hearings did that get? Bupkis.

The Cole bombing was in 2000, toward the end of the Clinton administration.

This is woefully incorrect.

Of course there was a hearing into the Beirut bombing.

This difference was both dems and GOP worked together to come to a conclusion.

and President Reagan took responsibility.

unlike todays so-called leaders.