Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

I was getting sick of him after the second year, but without knowing a lot of information that has come out since other than rumors when he was here, I thought we needed continuity as well. Every bottom feeder team turns over their coaches, QB's, and mgmt, every couple of years.

It gets old. In the end, I see the value in him gone, but the Bills just made a serious mistake with a snake oil salesman wooing us with his big talk. It sucks as we'll have another coaching staff after next year.

I just hope we keep Whaley. He's made more good decisions than bad, and that would help in continuity. If he blows it on the next hire, it's on him. I think he was under immense pressure from Brandon this time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not defending Marrone, but if being a prick disqualified people from being in the league, take Belichiks rings, Polans HOF blazer, Jim harbaughs wins, Shulas undefeated season.

Not saying anal maniacal micromanagerial prick is the way to go either but it certainly isn't obstructive to success

Oh, no, not at all. Plenty of successful pricks.

Thing is, some folks mistake being a micromanagerial prick as being bound for success. You have to be a brilliant driven football mind to be a successful micromanagerial prick.

Just being the latter won't get you the former.

I think it's also true that most of the successful amm's keep it under wraps or on a leash until they achieve a certain level of success.

I don't think he was smart at all. If he had stuck around and been fired, the Bills would have been on the hook for the remainder of his contract, minus any offsets he gets from future employment. But other teams wouldn't be looking at him in such a negative light if he'd been fired as opposed to quitting. I think by now he realizes walking away was the biggest mistake of his career. He probably got around $1.8 mil after taxes not enough to live the rest of his life off of at all.

Heh. $1.8M after taxes, 4.5% cut is $81,000. Plenty of folks on this board (and across WNY) would like to live for the rest of their lives on $81,000 a year. Plus if he had smart investment advice he shoulda kept more.

This is all about him quitting, IMO. You just generate such bad blood with everyone doing something like that. It's poisoned everything about him and really taints people's perspective. He really does just need to go back to college and re-establish some trust.

That's it. Even in the normal job market if you held a high position, quit before you established yourself, then applied for another similar role, I just don't see it going well. You gave up on exactly what you're seeking. You also put your employer in a difficult position when you quit. Marrone made a very poor judgement call on how this would play out and that's on him. I don't think the scenario requires hindsight to see things going this way.

Not defending Marrone, but if being a prick disqualified people from being in the league, take Belichiks rings, Polans HOF blazer, Jim harbaughs wins, Shulas undefeated season.

Not saying anal maniacal micromanagerial prick is the way to go either but it certainly isn't obstructive to success

You can be a prick but the men have to follow you too. Some coaches the players love some the players don't but the good ones on either side of that get respected by their players. That never happened for Marrone.

Marrone was a bad hire. He was a Brandon crony from Syracuse. They served on some sort of committee together. St. Doug came to town as unqualified, and his "coaching tree" consisted of rank amateurs. This was obvious from day 1.

The Marrone hire was pure cronyism, but folks on this board have denied this for a long time. Few posters seem to be critical of Brandon to this day.

Whaley is the latest sacred cow. He seemingly can do no wrong. In fact, the Ryan Brothers seem to have hired themselves.

That's it. Even in the normal job market if you held a high position, quit before you established yourself, then applied for another similar role, I just don't see it going well. You gave up on exactly what you're seeking. You also put your employer in a difficult position when you quit. Marrone made a very poor judgement call on how this would play out and that's on him. I don't think the scenario requires hindsight to see things going this way.

Yep. Some of us opined way back when the Saint first opted out that he wouldn't get another HC job any time soon and were belittled by those who claimed taking the payout was the "smart decision." When there are only 32 of these jobs in the world, there's just no explanation for walking out on one of them the way Moron did -- particularly when there was so much positive energy being built in Buffalo with the Pegula acquisition.

To those of you who respond, "Mularkey," I remind you that the scenario is much different. Mularkey did pay the price for quitting and was relegated to assistant coaching purgatory for a number of years, but has regularly been given opportunities. The key differences? No payout, Mularkey isn't an a-hole, and Mularkey didn't burn bridges or interview for every HC job immediately after walking out. The Bills' FO at the time was also a mess, which was widely known.

Marrone was a bad hire. He was a Brandon crony from Syracuse. They served on some sort of committee together. St. Doug came to town as unqualified, and his "coaching tree" consisted of rank amateurs. This was obvious from day 1.

The Marrone hire was pure cronyism, but folks on this board have denied this for a long time. Few posters seem to be critical of Brandon to this day.

Whaley is the latest sacred cow. He seemingly can do no wrong. In fact, the Ryan Brothers seem to have hired themselves.

Come on, Bill. In every industry people are hired because they have existing relationships with someone in an organization. Marrone was a bad hire in retrospect but he wasn't a "crony" hire. The cries of cronyism regarding Brandon are misguided.

Whaley is no sacred cow, but what exactly do you want to do? Kick him to the curb and start all over again? Hasn't he brought a lot of talent to this roster?

Bills fans are the best and worst fans. We would all do ourselves a favor to step out of the TSW world and actually go talk to people in other areas who are fans of other teams. They don't have nearly the jaded perception of what is going on in Buffalo that many of us do.

Whaley is no sacred cow, but what exactly do you want to do? Kick him to the curb and start all over again? Hasn't he brought a lot of talent to this roster?

Bills fans are the best and worst fans. We would all do ourselves a favor to step out of the TSW world and actually go talk to people in other areas who are fans of other teams. They don't have nearly the jaded perception of what is going on in Buffalo that many of us do.

As Bills Fans, we have been losing for a long time. Kids were born and now getting their drivers licenses since we have made the playoffs. This leads us (imo) to rally around some Bills players/staff (in this case Whaley) who don't completely suck. People still think Whitner wasn't a bust because he was "good." Spiller still has people here who think he can play. EJ MANUEL has fans here who wish he was the starter!!!

Our perception IS more jaded than those outside of here, this is true but I will say this.....around these parts, football fans really do know that Ryan is a mess who will take this team down the toilet and like I said, he didn't hire himself.

Maddog Sport morning NFL weekly is a great listen if anyone has Sirius.

Topic on Marrone was suppose to be 10 minutes but lasted almost 45 minutes.

Major reason for not being hired

VERY combative with General Managers and "disliked" by players everywhere. Buffalo's GM is said to put the word out about him. They are saying that Dareus and Woods got into Marrone's face when he degraded Hughes in practice one day.

Zimmerman called him a huge cancer. Said it was a dream come true in Buffalo upper management to get rid of this guy at any cost! All said that if Marrone is not hired this season then he should head back to college ranks. Zimmerman even said that his trust and credibility is so bad that Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie stated that the only way he would consider Marrone is if he would sign a deal where pay is based on his ability to preform, coach, and his ability to get along with management/players (Yuck). Also it was said Eagles were the ONLY team to take a serious look at Marrone because he is unproven and hated by staff/players in Buffalo. Buffalos D was mostly in place before he arrived and had nothing to do with Buffalo's D anyways.

Bottom line, they went off on topic by saying the guy is a proven micro manager and cancer.

Good luck Mr Marrone.....

Awesome!!!!!

To be honest the only poster I remember not liking Marrone was a guy that referred to him as "Greggo" because it would be us two constantly in battle with the Marrone is "changing the culture", he is a good head coach narrative...until he quit anyways... :)

I didn't like Marrone and was vocal about it on here long before he quit!!

Again as I said, it's a credit to Sexton that he was getting HC'ing interviews when he hasn't even shown himself to be a decent OL coach, much less OC, much much less HC.

Or ever calls plays on game day! I don't think HC should calls play, but, I do think they should have experience to help teach and work with their OC and DC.

Its pretty easy to talk in hypotheticals...it was just as, if not more likely that the following happened:

1) EJ was the full-time starter

2) The OL further regressed -- no Incognito

3) No Shady

4) Sammy becomes a serious malcontent

5) Jerry Hughes does not re-sign

6) D ebbs back a bit

all equal 6-10 and house is cleaned...

Probably close. I think there would have been a QB competition though.

Sure if you want to do nothing for the rest of your life which many would be fine with, even then at his age at 4.5% per year not going to last him all his life.. But he wants to be a coach, if what you're implying is true he wouldn't be out interviewing. From that standpoint, what he did by quitting in hindsight was career suicide.

Heh. $1.8M after taxes, 4.5% cut is $81,000. Plenty of folks on this board (and across WNY) would like to live for the rest of their lives on $81,000 a year. Plus if he had smart investment advice he shoulda kept more.

I don't think they pulled the wool over our eyes. I think Marrone pulled the wool over Mgmt's eyes. They thought they were getting something that Marrone did not turn out to be.

Agreed! Interesting because I think Rex did too. I can only guess, but, when coaches interviews say I am going to do A, B and C does our management team say how? Ask any specifics, plans, routines or ask them to explain? Doesn't seem like it.

Perhaps, but none of them know the gut-wrenching 'norm' of no playoffs in 16 years. Jaded comes with this territory.

As Bills Fans, we have been losing for a long time. Kids were born and now getting their drivers licenses since we have made the playoffs. This leads us (imo) to rally around some Bills players/staff (in this case Whaley) who don't completely suck. People still think Whitner wasn't a bust because he was "good." Spiller still has people here who think he can play. EJ MANUEL has fans here who wish he was the starter!!!

Our perception IS more jaded than those outside of here, this is true but I will say this.....around these parts, football fans really do know that Ryan is a mess who will take this team down the toilet and like I said, he didn't hire himself.

On this we definitely have to agree to disagree. This past season Ryan did things that I like and things I did not like. It is unfair to place 100% of the blame upon him for what happened with the Jets, and unfair to place 100% of the blame on him for the "failure" of an 8-8 season in Buffalo.

16 years of losing have given a lot of folks a quick trigger finger. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but you've got to give people more than one season.

I was in favour of keeping Marrone if he wished to stay. I am, usually, a fan of consistency and staying the course and I think on the back of a 9-7 season (save your arguments about the NE game I am not interested - I value that win more than beating the Dallas 3rd team in week 16 this year.... there are games like this every season in the NFL we as fans don't get to choose which wins count) he had earned the right to continue if he wished to. But the Pegulas were right not to cede to his requests for more power or a contract extension for him and his staff.

What would have happened this year? It is all hypothetical - could I have seen us taking a step back given there would have been a huge ? at Quarterback? Sure. However, we had an easy schedule... we played two terrible divisions.... could I have seen us riding that to the play-offs on the back of a stellar defense? Sure. Ultimately we just don't know. Come the end of year 3 I might well have felt it was time to move Marrone on.

A for his personality..... he was a bit of an ass and I felt that from day 1 - but that does not a bad Head football Coach make. The Rams hated Vermeil's hard ass act for 2 years.... but he was trying to turn around a programme of failure and the Giants detested Coughlin for two years. I have had the experience as a Head Coach in semi-pro soccer of taking over a failing programme and turning it round. I was an ass for the first 18 months I did that too. I got rid of good players because they didn't adhere. I made it clear it was going to be my way or the highway. I lightened up after 18 months and we got the thing turned around - but I don't think I would have done had it not been for those first 18 months. Turning around losing culture is difficult and if you start soft then underachieving players thing "here is an easy ride" and they check out and then it is too late. Start hard. You can always get softer as you go.... the other way round is impossible.

I am a little surprised he didn't get a job this off-season. I think he is a better Head Coach than people who got hired... but do I understand why owners might want to shy away from that personality when ultimately he didn't see it through to prove the methods work in Buffalo? Sure I do. Had he stayed, taken us to the play-offs in year 3 and maybe say won a play-off game and then opted out his personality would not stop him getting jobs. I 100% guarantee it.

You can be a prick but the men have to follow you too. Some coaches the players love some the players don't but the good ones on either side of that get respected by their players. That never happened for Marrone.

That's exactly it. Being an **** toward secretaries and other support staff makes you a first ballet **** hall of fame inductee. You can't be a mean, vindictive, condescending, arrogant prick to your team, in football or the office. You need to treat your team with respect BUT hold them accountable, and do it with some level of professionalism. It's not Marine boot camp. I hated working for guys like this and no longer do nor ever would. They don't inspire. And in this guy's case, who would accept that attitude given he was an unaccomplished college coach? Seriously, do you think Marrone earned one ounce of respect from those players if what everyone has said it true? If you come in from Syracuse with a halfwit OC, a ragtag staff, and a 25-25 record, does that gain instant credibility and respect? I doubt it. So he had to earn it and it doesn't seem like he did. And when you quit and these rumors start circulating, you're done, as it should be. What team needs that given his less than stellar track record. The answer is none.

I will say that you can be a prick to outsiders who have no impact on your team or organization. Look at Belichek. He's a total prick to the media and everyone assumes he's that way with his players but by accounts he's not. He holds them accountable and responsible and doesn't need to be a prick. And the only ones who care about his persona are outside the organization and the cavalcade of haters here. I think he's created this "us vs them" mentality in the lockerroom and the prick in the media works well with players who see him as their leader and voice in the media. Obviously.

I'm not sure that I buy that Marrone never earned respect or that his men never played for him. In my 13 years watching the Bills the 2014 team played the hardest of any team in that period. If they didn't respect the coach I struggle to believe that they would have done.

I come across as a Marrone lover - and I don't mean to - he is an incomplete as a Head Coach because of his own doing. There is plenty about the man to disapprove of, but I kind of think the open season on him is pretty unfair.

I'm not sure that I buy that Marrone never earned respect or that his men never played for him. In my 13 years watching the Bills the 2014 team played the hardest of any team in that period. If they didn't respect the coach I struggle to believe that they would have done.

I come across as a Marrone lover - and I don't mean to - he is an incomplete as a Head Coach because of his own doing. There is plenty about the man to disapprove of, but I kind of think the open season on him is pretty unfair.

Well, the offense played like dogschitt so if we're talking defense it's entirely possible those players liked, respected, and played hard for Jim Schwartz. Remember carrying him off the field in Dee-twah? I wouldn't be so quick to give Marrone credit for the effort of the defense.

I'm sorry I just don't buy it. First I think the offense was playing hard.... it just didn't execute and the scheme was without question a part of that but the effort was there. Secondly, whilst there is no bigger Schwartz fan than me, I have been in a lot of locker rooms in my life. I have never witnessed a team that didn't respect its HC and yet busted its balls every week for the win. It is your choice to believe that if you wish - but I certainly can't buy that. Not impossible but seems fanciful based on my experience.

Well, the offense played like dogschitt so if we're talking defense it's entirely possible those players liked, respected, and played hard for Jim Schwartz. Remember carrying him off the field in Dee-twah? I wouldn't be so quick to give Marrone credit for the effort of the defense.

I'm sorry I just don't buy it. First I think the offense was playing hard.... it just didn't execute and the scheme was without question a part of that but the effort was there. Secondly, whilst there is no bigger Schwartz fan than me, I have been in a lot of locker rooms in my life. I have never witnessed a team that didn't respect its HC and yet busted its balls every week for the win. It is your choice to believe that if you wish - but I certainly can't buy that. Not impossible but seems fanciful based on my experience.

i didn't see it every week. TNF in Miami, San Diego, Oakland come to mind. Whole team looked bad. Orton didn't play his heart out in Denver on that third and slide.

i didn't see it every week. TNF in Miami, San Diego, Oakland come to mind. Whole team looked bad. Orton didn't play his heart out in Denver on that third and slide.

There is a difference between playing bad and not trying. I take the Orton slide.... I think Orton had checked out at the end that is true... but other than that I thought the team played hard every game, even games where they were bad.

There is a difference between playing bad and not trying. I take the Orton slide.... I think Orton had checked out at the end that is true... but other than that I thought the team played hard every game, even games where they were bad.

And I know the topic has come up here quite a bit over the past six weeks or so as we continue to debate the merits of coaching: but you say no team played harder than Marrone's. I'll submit the 2006-08 Jauron teams as a rebuttal. Those squads were entirely bereft of talent, but particularly the defense went hard, every week.

i thought they barely looked like they knew there was a game in Miami - particularly on the offensive side - but perceptions are different Edited by YoloinOhio

Marrone's gone. Oh well. Time for some people to move on. Geez. We're on a 2-3 year HC cycle so I expect the Bills to have a new HC by the end of the 2016-17 season.

Who do you think will be our next 2 year coach?

The Bills (and every other NFL franchise) will be on 2-3 year HC cycles until they find a legitimate starting QB. It really is that simple. If Tyrod is that guy, expect Rex to be around for the length of his contract (at least).

And I know the topic has come up here quite a bit over the past six weeks or so as we continue to debate the merits of coaching: but you say no team played harder than Marrone's. I'll submit the 2006-08 Jauron teams as a rebuttal. Those squads were entirely bereft of talent, but particularly the defense went hard, every week.

And of course perception comes into it. I don't agree. But because of how I perceived the 2014 to have played I cannot believe that the players had zero respect for Marrone.

Was he an ass? Sure he was. Doesn't mean he had no respect and does not make him a bad Head Coach. He may have been a bad HC for numerous other reasons.

The Bills (and every other NFL franchise) will be on 2-3 year HC cycles until they find a legitimate starting QB. It really is that simple. If Tyrod is that guy, expect Rex to be around for the length of his contract (at least).

i have always been one to think that NFL success is more about the players than the HC. And in particular the QB. I haven't seen much different to think otherwise. So I don't get hung up on the HC issue. But can't stand Marrone because he's a fraud. Edited by YoloinOhio

It is indeed rare that a team sticks with a HC if they don't make the playoffs within a couple years. It's kinda nuts.

And of course perception comes into it. I don't agree. But because of how I perceived the 2014 to have played I cannot believe that the players had zero respect for Marrone.

Was he an ass? Sure he was. Doesn't mean he had no respect and does not make him a bad Head Coach. He may have been a bad HC for numerous other reasons.

You may not believe it yet it may still be the case. How many Bills came out after Marrone quit and expressed disappointment? Zero. The vocal players took their parting shots, and the more reserved players simply kept their mouths shut. Based upon my observations Marrone didn't coach from a position of respect, he coached from a position of "I'm the boss and what I say goes." This "playing hard" thing is overblown. You're an NFL pro, you like your teammates (and position coaches), and you play hard. It's your job.

Whether Tyrod is the guy, this team's still going 8-8, 9-7ish anyways. So regardless Rex is gone IMO. Tyrod can throw for 3500 yds, 25 TD, 10 INT and rush for 600 yds, and 7 TDs and this team will still miss the playoffs. It don't matter.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

i have always been one to think that NFL success is more about the players than the HC. And in particular the QB. I haven't seen much different to think otherwise. So I don't get hung up on the HC issue. But can't stand Marrone because he's a fraud.

You and I are clearly simpatico on the matter. But as for the bolded, I think SDS had to install new servers for this site to house all claims to the contrary!! :lol:

Whether Tyrod is the guy, this team's still going 8-8, 9-7ish anyways. So regardless Rex is gone IMO. Tyrod can throw for 3500 yds, 25 TD, 10 INT and rush for 600 yds, and 7 TDs and this team will still miss the playoffs. It don't matter.

Where were you last week when we all needed Power Ball numbers!?

You may not believe it yet it may still be the case. How many Bills came out after Marrone quit and expressed disappointment? Zero. The vocal players took their parting shots, and the more reserved players simply kept their mouths shut. Based upon my observations Marrone didn't coach from a position of respect, he coached from a position of "I'm the boss and what I say goes." This "playing hard" thing is overblown. You're an NFL pro, you like your teammates (and position coaches), and you play hard. It's your job.

Every team has a rallying point, and I feel like they actually were playing hard DESPITE their head coach, not because of him.

He tried to take a militant role, which can work, but he never earned his teams respect. Therefore, they turned on him and rallied around their strong defense and DC.

Edited by Captain_Quint

i have always been one to think that NFL success is more about the players than the HC. And in particular the QB. I haven't seen much different to think otherwise. So I don't get hung up on the HC issue. But can't stand Marrone because he's a fraud.

I agree Yolo. It is about the QBs. Look at all the coaches that are considered great by fans & media and then look who their QB was. Off the top of my head, the only exception I can think of is Joe Gibbs. There are very few coaches who have been failures who had an elite QB.