Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone wasn't OC for the Bills or Jags, but was OC for the Saints, and they had a good one. Of course that was all Payton, so while he hasn't proven he's a good OC, he also hasn't proven otherwise.

You just said he's not even a decent OC...

And exactly who was the OC when Marrone was with the Bills?

So it was basically just me and you then? :thumbsup:

I despised him from the second they announced him. But i dont think i was on this board at the time... I hated Hackett and I also hated Pettine as I thought the NYJ defense was all Rex. 2 outta 3 aint bad. Lol

Does the Rooney Rule state that you can't have already have decided on a candidate before interviewing people, or just that you have to interview a minority coach?

Just have to interview a minority when a HC job opens up. When you decided on who you want doesn't matter. As long as you don't offer the job before you satisfy Rooney.

Its almost ditto what folks said about Greg Schiano in Tampa ..... now Urban Myer's DC at Ohio State.

Marrone was smart to take the money and run. He basically got more than his slated salary in what probably would have been his last year coaching the Bills. Taylor would not have signed with the Bills (EJ would have told him not to come and they have known each other since they were very young) and no matter the D -- the O would have held the team back.

I will admit that I actually liked the guy until I heard about the national anthem practice...that was the tipping point for me..

What is the national anthem practice?

What is the national anthem practice?

Spending time practicing how to line up and behave during the national anthem. #1 if you are worried about disrespectful behavior from certain players address it individually..don't take team time to do it... #2 these guys have been lining up for national anthems since middle school football....#3 a great opportunity for veteran players to transfer a lesson on professional behavior blown by an overly obsessive and controlling coach...I could add more..

The NFL is a players game ...Marrone wanted to make it a coach's game..or so it seemed.

How do you know he wasn't?

WEO knows. I mean, he'll be the first to point out when you mention something you couldn't *really* know, but he does *know* because...reasons. Ask him a question that calls for an actual answer (non-speculation) and watch how fast it doesn't get answered.

WEO knows. I mean, he'll be the first to point out when you mention something you couldn't *really* know, but he does *know* because...reasons. Ask him a question that calls for an actual answer (non-speculation) and watch how fast it doesn't get answered.

Oh, I know. And WEO does as well. ;)

This is all about him quitting, IMO. You just generate such bad blood with everyone doing something like that. It's poisoned everything about him and really taints people's perspective. He really does just need to go back to college and re-establish some trust.

schiano and Marrone are both better off coaching in college.

Probably. But it takes time to adjust to the NFL too so you never know.

Does the Rooney Rule state that you can't have already have decided on a candidate before interviewing people, or just that you have to interview a minority coach?

Just have to have an interview. It's a pretty weak rule as far as affirmative action policies go.

I think the wool was pulled over their eyes too. When he was hired I'm certain they believed all these things to be true, else why hire him? But they found out wasn't exactly so as did the fans.

Yup.

Brandon and the rest of One Bills Drive successfully pulled the wool over the eyes of the fanbase on the hire by saying that he was a winner, that he was forward thinking, analytical and an aggressive head coach when it came to gameday decisions.

I just laughed when I heard that.

It also could be to get information from him. Wouldn't shock me at all to hear that teams often interview guys they have no plans to hire, but they are looking to gleam information from him, maybe others that worked with him, who he'd hire as assistants. Maybe a team is waiting to see what's to happen with Doug Whaley and is interested in hiring DW. So they bring Marrone in, and ask him about Whaley. It's not a big time commitment or cost to bring these guys in, so may be worth doing it. Wouldn't also rule out it may also be partly doign a favor for the agent, or they are interested in another client the agent has, so agree to interview both.

Tell me again teams didn't interview Marrone solely as a favor to Jimmy Sexton? Tell me again why Sexton should want to keep this guy as a client if he insists on getting an NFL HC job? 2% of his assistant coach salary isn't a good enough reason.

I don't think he was smart at all. If he had stuck around and been fired, the Bills would have been on the hook for the remainder of his contract, minus any offsets he gets from future employment. But other teams wouldn't be looking at him in such a negative light if he'd been fired as opposed to quitting. I think by now he realizes walking away was the biggest mistake of his career. He probably got around $1.8 mil after taxes not enough to live the rest of his life off of at all.

Marrone was smart to take the money and run. He basically got more than his slated salary in what probably would have been his last year coaching the Bills. Taylor would not have signed with the Bills (EJ would have told him not to come and they have known each other since they were very young) and no matter the D -- the O would have held the team back.

I will admit that I actually liked the guy until I heard about the national anthem practice...that was the tipping point for me..