Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

You may not believe it yet it may still be the case. How many Bills came out after Marrone quit and expressed disappointment? Zero. The vocal players took their parting shots, and the more reserved players simply kept their mouths shut. Based upon my observations Marrone didn't coach from a position of respect, he coached from a position of "I'm the boss and what I say goes." This "playing hard" thing is overblown. You're an NFL pro, you like your teammates (and position coaches), and you play hard. It's your job.

How many expressed their disappointment during the season or complained openly? Compared to this year, for instance.......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may not believe it yet it may still be the case. How many Bills came out after Marrone quit and expressed disappointment? Zero. The vocal players took their parting shots, and the more reserved players simply kept their mouths shut. Based upon my observations Marrone didn't coach from a position of respect, he coached from a position of "I'm the boss and what I say goes." This "playing hard" thing is overblown. You're an NFL pro, you like your teammates (and position coaches), and you play hard. It's your job.

Of course, I may. But I think your assumptions are more ropey than mine, it is all about perceptions frankly. You are coming to a conclusion that he had no respect whilst he was here I don't find that the evidence available to us supports that conclusion. That he lost an awful lot of it in the way he quit? I think there is more to back that up, but it is a slightly different point.

Marrone was a bad hire. He was a Brandon crony from Syracuse. They served on some sort of committee together. St. Doug came to town as unqualified, and his "coaching tree" consisted of rank amateurs. This was obvious from day 1.

The Marrone hire was pure cronyism, but folks on this board have denied this for a long time. Few posters seem to be critical of Brandon to this day.

Whaley is the latest sacred cow. He seemingly can do no wrong. In fact, the Ryan Brothers seem to have hired themselves.

Bill...eat a Snickers...

Maddog Sport morning NFL weekly is a great listen if anyone has Sirius.

Topic on Marrone was suppose to be 10 minutes but lasted almost 45 minutes.

Major reason for not being hired

VERY combative with General Managers and "disliked" by players everywhere. Buffalo's GM is said to put the word out about him. They are saying that Dareus and Woods got into Marrone's face when he degraded Hughes in practice one day.

Zimmerman called him a huge cancer. Said it was a dream come true in Buffalo upper management to get rid of this guy at any cost! All said that if Marrone is not hired this season then he should head back to college ranks. Zimmerman even said that his trust and credibility is so bad that Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie stated that the only way he would consider Marrone is if he would sign a deal where pay is based on his ability to preform, coach, and his ability to get along with management/players (Yuck). Also it was said Eagles were the ONLY team to take a serious look at Marrone because he is unproven and hated by staff/players in Buffalo. Buffalos D was mostly in place before he arrived and had nothing to do with Buffalo's D anyways.

Bottom line, they went off on topic by saying the guy is a proven micro manager and cancer.

Good luck Mr Marrone.....

When I heard he rude to the administrative staff at OBD he lost me right there

There is a difference between playing bad and not trying. I take the Orton slide.... I think Orton had checked out at the end that is true... but other than that I thought the team played hard every game, even games where they were bad.

Kyle was NOT going to get the first and was going to get killed. Tyrod slides short of the sticks too under similar circumstances.

Edited by reddogblitz

Of course, I may. But I think your assumptions are more ropey than mine, it is all about perceptions frankly. You are coming to a conclusion that he had no respect whilst he was here I don't find that the evidence available to us supports that conclusion. That he lost an awful lot of it in the way he quit? I think there is more to back that up, but it is a slightly different point.

You don't recall the "blowups" in training camp that many of us thought (hoped) meant nothing? The "you don't need to be here!!" tirade at Jerry Hughes? The animated sideline "discussion" with Whaley and Brandon, right in front of the players practicing? Players don't respect that. You don't hear stories of Bill Belichick -- a pretty much self-proclaimed "prick" -- doing things like that.

There's plenty of evidence that, in retrospect, paints the picture of a coach who was trying to "impose" respect on his team rather than earn it.

At this point in time, seeing what has transpired since Marrone took his "golden parachute" and left the Bills, I really don't see the logic in suggesting Marrone had the respect of anyone in the Buffalo organization. His buddy Gus Bradley threw him a bone in Jacksonville.

I realize I'm not likely to persuade you to change your opinion, but I do believe there's more evidence to support my perspective than yours.

Edit: and I forgot to mention the practice the day after a preseason game that Fred Jackson questioned, as well as playing Sammy Watkins in a meaningless preseason game with cracked ribs. Players really respect that, right?

Edited by eball

Kyle was NOT going to get the first and was going to get killed. Tyrod slides short of the sticks too under similar circumstances.

However, Fitz (bless his heart) would try to run over 18 defenders, and get his jaw knocked off in the process.

You don't recall the "blowups" in training camp that many of us thought (hoped) meant nothing? The "you don't need to be here!!" tirade at Jerry Hughes? The animated sideline "discussion" with Whaley and Brandon, right in front of the players practicing? Players don't respect that. You don't hear stories of Bill Belichick -- a pretty much self-proclaimed "prick" -- doing things like that.

There's plenty of evidence that, in retrospect, paints the picture of a coach who was trying to "impose" respect on his team rather than earn it.

At this point in time, seeing what has transpired since Marrone took his "golden parachute" and left the Bills, I really don't see the logic in suggesting Marrone had the respect of anyone in the Buffalo organization. His buddy Gus Bradley threw him a bone in Jacksonville.

I realize I'm not likely to persuade you to change your opinion, but I do believe there's more evidence to support my perspective than yours.

Don't waste your breath, WEO. I'm not placing you on ignore or anything like that, but I'm also not going to participate in your little tangential journeys off the beaten path. This discussion is about whether the players respected Marrone.

Well, in comparison to whom? It's a legitimate comparison, hardly a tangent...

Everyone has (suddenly?) concluded Marrone was an a-hole and lost the respect of his team. You mention some training camp stuff. Yet Rex, a "players' coach", saw guys mouthing off during the season (and at least one openly dogging it) when the season went south.

I posted a while ago that the impression I got was that the players liked Rex (he's likeable) but were not really impressed with him as a HC. I don't think they respected him. The behavior of some reinforces that.

Well, in comparison to whom? It's a legitimate comparison, hardly a tangent...

Everyone has (suddenly?) concluded Marrone was an a-hole and lost the respect of his team. You mention some training camp stuff. Yet Rex, a "players' coach", saw guys mouthing off during the season (and at least one openly dogging it) when the season went south.

I posted a while ago that the impression I got was that the players liked Rex (he's likeable) but were not really impressed with him as a HC. I don't think they respected him. The behavior of some reinforces that.

Sorry -- I edited my post to remove my comments directed at you because I didn't want this discussion to be about that. I don't care what the players think about Rex right now. This is about whether they ever respected Marrone. I think it's clear they didn't, but some disagree.

A lot of the inter personnel issue were not good.....but, Marrone did get a couple of things right looking at the big picture. When Pettine was hired (good move) and bolted, Marrone hired Schwartz (good move). We all thought Crossman was a bad hire....but when Crossman got some studs in Marrone's second year, he put a good Special teams effort together for the Bills. Now, the Hackett situation was just the opposite....but, they had EJ put down their throat... and a front office that resisted bring in Orton (a journeyman made EJ look weak) Still, Marrone got a lot right in fielding the right coaching team. I think maybe Crossman, who left Schwartz staff in Detroit to join Marrone was instrumental in helping bringing Jim Schwartz to the Bills. (if you recall, Pettine was gone about 10 minutes before the Bills announced Schwartz was the new DC) So, all in all, if results matter...Marrone progressed the Bills from 6-10 to 9-7. So, that puts him on the candidate list for other jobs. Sooner or later, the interpersonal relationship stuff will die out, and he will get another shot as a HC.......remember Mularkey quite the Bills about 15 years ago and just now is getting his second shot. And ,yes Marrone is an idiot from an interpersonal relationship point of view....he could learn a trick or two in that area.

Sorry -- I edited my post to remove my comments directed at you because I didn't want this discussion to be about that. I don't care what the players think about Rex right now. This is about whether they ever respected Marrone. I think it's clear they didn't, but some disagree.

You don't care if the players don't respect Rex?

Edit: and I forgot to mention the practice the day after a preseason game that Fred Jackson questioned, as well as playing Sammy Watkins in a meaningless preseason game with cracked ribs. Players really respect that, right?

But my whole questioning of your perspective is that you are trying to apply retrospect now to things knowing what happened after he opted out.

I don't doubt Marrone was an !@#$. But none of what you have said in any way indicates that the players didn't respect him whilst he was here. And the ultimate litmus test of that for me is on the football field and they played in my opinion harder than any other Bills team I have watched.

You want to dismiss that, that is fine, I accept your different perspective. We are all influenced by our experiences I suppose my view is bound to be clouded by my experience as a Head Coach in another sport. But I can't unlearn those biases.

I am not sticking up for Marrone to be anti-Rex Ryan either. Nor am I saying I wish Marrone was still here. I simply give what is my honest opinion based on my perception of 2014. I think it is the most likely scenario based on the evidence you take a different view.

remember Mularkey quite the Bills about 15 years ago and just now is getting his second shot.

He is getting his third shot actually. He had one ill-fated 2-14 season as HC in Jacksonville in 2012.