A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) Graham was steady; he usually is. That said, I think that the top defender on the Bills today was McKelvin. This is a rare thing to type, but his hit set up the interception and he broke up a lot of passes.

2) Corbin Bryant played well today, even though he was frequently used in pass coverage.

3) I suppose Hogan has played himself off of the roster next season. He isn't totally awful, but there is no place in this league for a possession receiver with questionable hands.

4) Just before the half, the interception that Tyrod threw was dumb. The delay penalty by Watkins before that was dumb. The clock management was dumb. There is zero accountability on this team. Rex is a horror show.

5) The Bills netted 236 yds on the ground today. OK, Tyrod DID run for 67 yards. Still, Gillislee had 93 yds. and Karlos ran for 76. Those two also combined for 4 catches for 37 yards. Having a big, physical back made quite the difference. They didn't seem to miss Shady all that much. Just sayin.....

6) Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on Main Street.

Chicago, New York, Detroit it's all on the same street.

Your typical city involved in a typical daydream,

Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Dallas - got a soft machine,

Houston - too close to New Orleans.

New York - got the ways and means,

but just won't let you be.

7) Folks, I am sad to report that I cannot any longer defend Mario Williams. He looks weak and appears to be not trying at all. Believe me, it hurts to say this. He was a great player and I have a ton of respect for what he does off the field.

8) Tyrod Taylor has better vision on running plays than any qb I have seen as of late, and this includes Russell Wilson. Is Newton a better runner? I don't know but Tyrod kept us in the game with his legs today.

9) People should stop posting that the Bills DL only goes into coverage "about 5% of the time." That is simply not true. They are doing it constantly. It is pitiful to watch.

10) I am usually happier than this after a Bills win. The truth is that we were just a bit lucky to win this one, or so I think.

11) Watkins played very well today. It was good to see some shorter patterns mixed in, as crazy as that sounds. I believe he is a complete receiver, not just a deep threat and should be used accordingly.

12) No quarterback sacks today and not much pressure either. Sometimes it is hard to believe what I am watching.

13) I hope everyone here and your loved ones had a wonderful Christmas and or Chaunaka.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham was steady and McKelvin was our best defender? Stopped reading right there.

They may have been solid, but 20 and 21 were trailing/out of position/taking inexplicable angles on every big Dallas play.

Nice job being an ass to one of the best posters on the board.

Graham was steady and McKelvin was our best defender? Stopped reading right there.

They may have been solid, but 20 and 21 were trailing/out of position/taking inexplicable angles on every big Dallas play.

Graham had 8 tackles and 3 assists. McKelvin caused the interception.

Watch the game.

I thought Manny Lawson had a very nice game. Leodis made some plays but if a competent qb was out there for dallas, mckelvin would have given up a bad td on the cowboys first possession (he was badly beaten). He got a little lucky on that fade play in the back corner of the end zone too. He's gotta get his head around - he gave up a td to pierre garcon last week playing the exact same style.

He was just disagreeing with him. Calm down dude.

Hogan has no business on an NFL roster - he is, pound for pound, one of the worst players at any position in the NFL. He excels at absolutely nothing except showing up.

Jordan Mills is a close comparable - why this man is starting at RT is beyond all comprehension. He's garbage on wheels. Not content to simply be burned repeatedly today, he also committed a few penalties including a ridiculously dumb late hit on the Karlos fumble. He is Rex's new Wayne Hunter. Life is crazy.

The lack of urgency before the end of the 1st half was unbelievable. The int was really bad. Taylor needs to take command of the offense in the redzone.

Defensively, we allowed a guy with zero arm strenght the short stuff, had we pressed their WRs, Moore wouldn't have completed a single pass, instead the DBs gave their WRs room to operate. We kind of adjusted in the second half. I really dislike our defense, it makes zero sense sometimes. Thurman needs to go.

Hogan needs to go too and I think he knows it. His face after he missed that pass (he didn't even touch the ball) on 4th down was pathetic.

Mario will be gone, but who can blame him? The defense was awesome last year, why fix what was not broken?

Gragg looks as un athletic as a football player can be but he just catches what is thrown to him. Wish he was better on the blocking department.

Please beat the Jets next week.

GO BILLS!

Edited by Fixxxer

Leodis made some plays but if a competent qb was out there for dallas, mckelvin would have given up a bad td on the cowboys first possession (he was badly beaten). He got a little lucky on that fade play in the back corner of the end zone too. He's gotta get his head around - he gave up a td to pierre garcon last week playing the exact same style.

I saw this but remember, there was no pass rush. The Bills (Rex) could have easily lost this game. I am not saying that McKelvin is Mel Blount but he did his job pretty well today.

His post was pretty good- I enjoyed it. I was at the game Leodis was much better today and im not a big fan of his.

10) I am usually happier than this after a Bills win. The truth is that we were just a bit lucky to win this one, or so I think.

12) No quarterback sacks today and not much pressure either. Sometimes it is hard to believe what I am watching.

13) I hope everyone here and your loved ones had a wonderful Christmas and or Chaunaka.

I think the reason for this is because the Bills just beat a bad 4-11 Dallas Clownboy team with Kellen Moore at QB. If Dallas had been able to score more points it might not have even been a win.

it is difficult to believe this same franchise led the league in sacks last year and was #2 in 2013.

Buffalo Bills fans deserve better than this 7-8 mess. Meanwhile, Rex Ryan's 4-12 team from last year just beat the New England Patriots 26-20 with Noodle arm Fitz, Chan Gailey as OC and are now 10-5. :cry:

Hogan has no business on an NFL roster - he is, pound for pound, one of the worst players at any position in the NFL. He excels at absolutely nothing except showing up.

Jordan Mills is a close comparable - why this man is starting at RT is beyond all comprehension. He's garbage on wheels. Not content to simply be burned repeatedly today, he also committed a few penalties including a ridiculously dumb late hit on the Karlos fumble. He is Rex's new Wayne Hunter. Life is crazy.

By saying "stopped reading there?"

Rarely would I root for the bills to lose. But today I was hoping we would get steamrolled. I'm afraid that winning today helped Rex retain his job and big personnel moves are going to happen now. I believe the fallout could be comparable to Philly. That system is only used by chip Kelly and this system is only used by Rex. So when Rex is eventually fired in a year or two, we will have a very particular roster of players who can't play a 4-3. Rex is gonna stay with the bills and ultimately we will feel the effects for the next 5 years at least

Rarely would I root for the bills to lose. But today I was hoping we would get steamrolled. I'm afraid that winning today helped Rex retain his job and big personnel moves are going to happen now. I believe the fallout could be comparable to Philly. That system is only used by chip Kelly and this system is only used by Rex. So when Rex is eventually fired in a year or two, we will have a very particular roster of players who can't play a 4-3. Rex is gonna stay with the bills and ultimately we will feel the effects for the next 5 years at least

After the season, Terry, Whaley and Rex will have to have a serious sit down and discuss what the plan is for the defense in 2016. If Rex thinks that Terry and Whaley will be on board with a total overhaul of the defensive roster to get Rex's players to fit his scheme then he's lost his mind. So either Rex makes big time concessions or he very well could still be gone. Nothing anyone says right now makes Rex coming back a 100% certainty. Whoever Terry picks to consult with will no doubt tell him he's nuts if he keeps Rex and try's to overhaul the personnel of a defense that was #4 in the league just last year.

Rex may be a big personality and a big name, but he's the main reason this team isn't in the playoffs. Everyone knows this. So because of that, Rex can still write his own ticket out of here if he plans to stick to this horrible defensive scheme.

Edited by 1billsfan

Mario will be gone, but who can blame him? The defense was awesome last year, why fix what was not broken?

GO BILLS!

Ginormous ego? Or lack of knowledge and versatility? My guess: BOTH.

(I'm not usually a negative person, but Rex has a certain something...)

IMO the guaranteed $$$'to shady is the sign of a GM still learning. The tandem running today was pretty darn good.

One guy is a complete unknown. Until now. Well both kind of were. Which in today's NFL lends credence to the statement.

" running backs are a dime a dozen" Well shady made the pro bowl. The teams record will fall quite close if not exactly

Into the Jauron era. is it McCoy's fault. No! Did we get the better end of a trade? yes. But Pushing the cap with a crap non playoff team

Is not good. Clay also fell into this cayegory. In his case though the future is good. Possibly we may lose a good resigning, or FA whatever. because of the sunk cost of McCoy. And others.That is on OBD

And IMO the GM. The deal from start to finish took less than one hour. That kinds of proves what a shoot first ask questions later

Organization does. Ditto Percy harvin. Injury aside.

today's win is hollow. Too little to late. A couple of players played balls out. The usual suspects not so much. i guess 94 invests well. His next team will give him half of what the Billls owe him next year. The guy is a cancer, and a prima donna DE who is nearing his end. Please cut him the first day the new league season begins. he brings zero to the team.

it will be interesting on what happens to a once pretty darn good defense in REX Part II. This team is far and away from 1 or 2 players away. There is some real work both in coaching. Philosophy and personnel.

Kool-Aid will be delivered in very measured quanity's this upcoming off-season. some this time will not even drink it.

Big shout out to TT, the rookie backs, #14, Cog ( never thought I would say that) Darby, Gilmore, Eric, And others I missed. these guys showed class and professionalism. in the face of huge inept coachng and gameday management. in the end a possible 8-8 with a clown as HC is a testament to those players. Not a single win was handed to them.

IMO the guaranteed $$$'to shady is the sign of a GM still learning. The tandem running today was pretty darn good.

One guy is a complete unknown. Until now. Well both kind of were. Which in today's NFL lends credence to the statement.

" running backs are a dime a dozen" Well shady made the pro bowl. The teams record will fall quite close if not exactly

Into the Jauron era. is it McCoy's fault. No! Did we get the better end of a trade? yes. But Pushing the cap with a crap non playoff team

Is not good. Clay also fell into this cayegory. In his case though the future is good. Possibly we may lose a good resigning, or FA whatever. because of the sunk cost of McCoy. And others.That is on OBD

And IMO the GM. The deal from start to finish took less than one hour. That kinds of proves what a shoot first ask questions later

Organization does. Ditto Percy harvin. Injury aside.

today's win is hollow. Too little to late. A couple of players played balls out. The usual suspects not so much. i guess 94 invests well. His next team will give him half of what the Billls owe him next year. The guy is a cancer, and a prima donna DE who is nearing his end. Please cut him the first day the new league season begins. he brings zero to the team.

it will be interesting on what happens to a once pretty darn good defense in REX Part II. This team is far and away from 1 or 2 players away. There is some real work both in coaching. Philosophy and personnel.

Kool-Aid will be delivered in very measured quanity's this upcoming off-season. some this time will not even drink it.

Big shout out to TT, the rookie backs, #14, Cog ( never thought I would say that) Darby, Gilmore, Eric, And others I missed. these guys showed class and professionalism. in the face of huge inept coachng and gameday management. in the end a possible 8-8 with a clown as HC is a testament to those players. Not a single win was handed to them.

I was impressed with Mario Butler today....who I think should be kept.

After the season, Terry, Whaley and Rex will have to have a serious sit down and discuss what the plan is for the defense in 2016. If Rex thinks that Terry and Whaley will be on board with a total overhaul of the defensive roster to get Rex's players to fit his scheme then he's lost his mind. So either Rex makes big time concessions or he very well could still be gone. Nothing anyone says right now makes Rex coming back a 100% certainty. Whoever Terry picks to consult with will no doubt tell him he's nuts if he keeps Rex and try's to overhaul the personnel of a defense that was #4 in the league just last year.

Rex may be a big personality and a big name, but he's the main reason this team isn't in the playoffs. Everyone knows this. So because of that, Rex can still write his own ticket out of here if he plans to stick to this horrible defensive scheme.

IMO... if Rex stays they need to tell straight out that he has to fire Thomas and hire a real defensive coordinator and then he can focus on being a Head Coach. If he wants to be the DC, then fine, demote him and bring a real HC.

But we need a real Head Coach. This team is a dysfunctional mess, undisciplined, soft, bad clock management, poor game plans, they even forget batteries for the damn headsets. We need a HC. Until they get one, nothing else matters.

Personally, I don't think Rex is HC material.

Thanks.

Graham had 8 tackles and 3 assists. McKelvin caused the interception.

Watch the game.

I watched the game. And their stats are meaningless. They were bad in bad spots. Everyone I watched the game with said the exact same thing. You obviously saw things differently.

This board means a lot to him. I don't take it personally.

Thanks.

I watched the game. And their stats are meaningless. They were bad in bad spots. Everyone I watched the game with said the exact same thing. You obviously saw things differently.

This board means a lot to him. I don't take it personally.

"This board is negatively affecting my life!"

Glass houses Cat.

That's the part that scares me with retaining Rex. If we hold on to him, he is gonna want his own personnel to run his defense. We will spend 2-3 drafts focusing on defense and mostly neglecting the offense (notably the o line and WRs). Rex will continue to be mediocre and eventually get fired. At that point terry would probably clean house, we would have old aging players and need a new GM and HC. We would then have to spend another 3-4 years revamping a 4-3 defense cause Rex's personnel would probably not fit a 4-3. To me, settling to keep Rex really could set us back almost a decade which is scary and kinda pisses me off that we may have to deal with ineptitude for that long

Ginormous ego? Or lack of knowledge and versatility? My guess: BOTH.

(I'm not usually a negative person, but Rex has a certain something...)

That would be my guess, sometimes i wonder if he even watched film of Schwartz's defense when he arrived at OBD.

IMO... if Rex stays they need to tell straight out that he has to fire Thomas and hire a real defensive coordinator and then he can focus on being a Head Coach. If he wants to be the DC, then fine, demote him and bring a real HC.

But we need a real Head Coach. This team is a dysfunctional mess, undisciplined, soft, bad clock management, poor game plans, they even forget batteries for the damn headsets. We need a HC. Until they get one, nothing else matters.

Personally, I don't think Rex is HC material.

I agree. Rex choose pride of his defensive scheme over the 2015 Buffalo Bills team. Back in the day, teams had waaaaaaay more time to practice and get complicated schemes down. But Rex seems to be not intelligent enough to understand why it's not working out for him. There's just too much turnover in players, to many injuries to not have a more simplified defensive system. Then you add in that the Bills ran a completely different system last year and got to #4 in the league, geeez what the heck were you thinking?

I still think Rex might get the boot because he'd be too stubborn to admit he needs to make a drastic change.

Edited by 1billsfan

1) Graham was steady; he usually is. That said, I think that the top defender on the Bills today was McKelvin. This is a rare thing to type, but his hit set up the interception and he broke up a lot of passes.

2) Corbin Bryant played well today, even though he was frequently used in pass coverage.

3) I suppose Hogan has played himself off of the roster next season. He isn't totally awful, but there is no place in this league for a possession receiver with questionable hands.

4) Just before the half, the interception that Tyrod threw was dumb. The delay penalty by Watkins before that was dumb. The clock management was dumb. There is zero accountability on this team. Rex is a horror show.

5) The Bills netted 236 yds on the ground today. OK, Tyrod DID run for 67 yards. Still, Gillislee had 93 yds. and Karlos ran for 76. Those two also combined for 4 catches for 37 yards. Having a big, physical back made quite the difference. They didn't seem to miss Shady all that much. Just sayin.....

6) Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on Main Street.

Chicago, New York, Detroit it's all on the same street.

Your typical city involved in a typical daydream,

Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Dallas - got a soft machine,

Houston - too close to New Orleans.

New York - got the ways and means,

but just won't let you be.

7) Folks, I am sad to report that I cannot any longer defend Mario Williams. He looks weak and appears to be not trying at all. Believe me, it hurts to say this. He was a great player and I have a ton of respect for what he does off the field.

8) Tyrod Taylor has better vision on running plays than any qb I have seen as of late, and this includes Russell Wilson. Is Newton a better runner? I don't know but Tyrod kept us in the game with his legs today.

9) People should stop posting that the Bills DL only goes into coverage "about 5% of the time." That is simply not true. They are doing it constantly. It is pitiful to watch.

11) Watkins played very well today. It was good to see some shorter patterns mixed in, as crazy as that sounds. I believe he is a complete receiver, not just a deep threat and should be used accordingly.

5) They missed Shady like, not at all. In fact, not at all in general this year. He's had a fine year, but the running game has been at least as good, often better, with Karlos and now Gillislie in there. Shame about that extension they gave him ...

9) Correct. Now that I'm freed up to watch not so much as a fan but as an amateur (very amateur) scout/analyst, I spent most of the time the Bills were on defense watching for Mario, Hughes, Lawson dropping into coverage. The majority of the time at least one of them was not rushing. On the one big Cowboys completion the receiver slipped past 3 Bills DBs, and then the last man to come into the play was none other than Manny Lawson, about 40 yards downfield. I'm no expert, but maybe this is not the best use for a player of Manny Lawson's size and abilities? Maybe there is another player who could fill that role more successfully?

One thought of my own: I'm sad to see Easley go out with what looked like a pretty serious leg injury. Guy plays hard and has come tantalizingly close to getting a bigger role on the offense on several occasions, each of which ends with injury or with some hellish bad luck. When Harvin went out earlier this year, Easley beat his man for a sure TD (finally!) and then slipped and fell as he made his final break. I guess it just wasn't meant to be ...

I saw this but remember, there was no pass rush. The Bills (Rex) could have easily lost this game. I am not saying that McKelvin is Mel Blount but he did his job pretty well today.

for 3 games after the hiatus i must agree. much better than last week

That is just how Big Cat says "hello."

well done Coach !

was gonna happen anyways.

deal