Report: Mario Could Be Gone- NFL.com

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get the same production from a rookie. He was unwilling to adapt to the scheme, and wasn't winning his 1:1 matchups when he was asked to just do what he wanted - rush the passer. Open up the cap space.

He was one of my favorites. But it's too much for what he's bringing to the table at this point.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It sucks but he brought it upon himself. Jerry Hughes isn't being used correctly either but he goes balls to the wall every play and still makes an impact even if it doesn't show on the Stat sheet. His freelancing has cost us games.

I was very happy we signed him a few years ago, was very annoyed with him his first year under wanny and with his wrist and whining. Under pettine and shorts he was amazing and now he's back to whining and not performing again. I hope we can get something for him if we decide to part ways, anything is better than nothing.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I wish I could understand by having all the information why he has totally disappeared in this defense.

I'm watching the games and I see him locking horns with the o lineman and making very little attempt to get around him. Is this how he's being asked to play as some type of setting the edge decision? It's so much more than he's being asked to drop back in coverage or the complexity issue that's been brought up. I've seen him in coverage very very little.

Is there such a thing that on a passing down an end if not asked to cover anyone - is being told not to go after the QB with every move he's got? Do certain defensive play calls tell an end you can't use the swim move and go outside because we don't want you there - or don't use the spin move and go inside because we don't want you at that spot?

I wish I could understand by having all the information why he has totally disappeared in this defense.

I'm watching the games and I see him locking horns with the o lineman and making very little attempt to get around him. Is this how he's being asked to play as some type of setting the edge decision? It's so much more than he's being asked to drop back in coverage or the complexity issue that's been brought up. I've seen him in coverage very very little.

Is there such a thing that on a passing down an end if not asked to cover anyone - is being told not to go after the QB with every move he's got? Do certain defensive play calls tell an end you can't use the swim move and go outside because we don't want you there - or don't use the spin move and go inside because we don't want you at that spot?

I wonder the same. It's like he's not really willing to use a variety of moves from play to play. It's kinda painful to watch.

If that is the case, then he is completely replaceable. Some other no skill 275 pounder can wrestle with the tackle. It would be a complete waste of premier NFL talent, to use him in that role. When I watch them, I see your total lack of effort this season. There is no backside pursuit and he obviously takes plays off.

Edited by DasNootz

I wonder the same. It's like he's not really willing to use a variety of moves from play to play. It's kinda painful to watch.

That's right. When I watch him he's trying to push the lineman straight back - and he's legitimately trying to do that in terms of effort. As we've said there's no other attempt being made - so is that what he's being asked to do and what he's frustrated about or is he playing with a bad attitude? I honestly have no idea what the answer is but it's clear it has zero to do with complexity and dropping in coverage.

If that is the case, then he is completely replaceable. Some other no skill 275 pounder can wrestle with the tackle. It would be a complete waste of premier NFL talent, to use him in that role. When I watch them, I see your total lack of effort this season. There is no backside pursuit and he obviously takes plays off.

I disagree. I'd say it more proves that Rex has pissed off his defensive players - or at least most definitely the defensive line. It's not just Mario - you'd have to put Hughes, Dareus and Brown in that group too. I'll concede to the effort of Hughes but he's being underutilized just the same. Imagine if this was Hughes contract year - do you think he'd have a few things to say to the media?

Not only did we have one of the most feared defensive teams in the NFL last year but there was clear cohesion and comradery. This year at least on the field it's totally disjointed. If you believe the players - it's on Rex.

Edited by Triple Threat

Well, if true that he blew it off, that's disgraceful. Regardless of his happiness with the scheme, he is one of the HIGHEST paid players in the league. It's incumbent on him to try. Given his salary, his whiny, low-effort disappearing act is for the birds.

I've been a Bills fan since the early 60s and this is the most disappointing season. Ever. The team was in place to excel. All Ryan had to do was keep Schwartz, and let his new offensive coordinator -- who actually knew what he was doing, compared to the high school coach they had the past couple years -- use the new talent. Ryan had a choice. He could be a hero and lead his team to the playoffs, or he could be an egotistical jerk who destroyed a powerhouse defense, because the round pegs that worked so well the past two years didn't fit into his square holes. Guess which one he chose. So now the city and Bills fans all across the world have to suffer because of this egotistical, arrogant jerk.

No coach in the league could stop the Bills defense. Except Rex Ryan, who's completely neutralized it. Thanks Rex. Back to the drawing board, and hoping the stars align again three coaches and eight QBs into the future. And maybe even a new owner and a new city into the future. The damage this guy has done is incredible. And guess what, he's just getting started. Ryan will want to tear this house down to the studs so he can rebuild it in his image. I'm just disgusted, and what's worse, for the first time in decades I don't think next year will be better.

That's right. When I watch him he's trying to push the lineman straight back - and he's legitimately trying to do that in terms of effort. As we've said there's no other attempt being made - so is that what he's being asked to do and what he's frustrated about or is he playing with a bad attitude? I honestly have no idea what the answer is but it's clear it has zero to do with complexity and dropping in coverage.

Ryan has coached legit NFL defenses before. It doesn't add up that he'd ask one of his better pass rushers (on paper) to do nothing more than bull rush and grapple with the tackle play after play after play. It's still the NFL. You build a "tendency" like that and you are going to be useless.

Would make sense because he doesn't fit into the future with a Rex Ryan defense and the huge cap savings in 16 could be used to tie up Cordy Glenn and Stephon Gilmore long term. Can use the 16 draft to draft and develop a young guy that better fits the Rex system.

Well, if true that he blew it off, that's disgraceful. Regardless of his happiness with the scheme, he is one of the HIGHEST paid players in the league. It's incumbent on him to try. Given his salary, his whiny, low-effort disappearing act is for the birds.

Very Ruben Brown-esque.

Ryan has coached legit NFL defenses before. It doesn't add up that he'd ask one of his better pass rushers (on paper) to do nothing more than bull rush and grapple with the tackle play after play after play. It's still the NFL. You build a "tendency" like that and you are going to be useless.

Totally legitimate argument. Players are also emotional creatures and football is one of the few games that emotion plays a huge part in performance. I think Rex being called a "players coach" gets misinterpreted a bit - I think he's also bull headed enough to alienate people in general for the sake of his way. I would feel different if he was the only player who's results have dropped off.

Rex doesn't like to admit he's wrong - he's a point the finger kind of guy. No doubt that you're right on Ryan has coached legit defenses - there's also no doubt he inherited a legit defense. So this can't be all Mario.

I do agree that it appears Mario is pouting and he deserves criticism for sure. I also see effort on the field from Mario as he is in my view clearly trying to push that O lineman back because he's going hard - but that's all he's doing. Could it be that the defensive scheme is dictating him to do that so he can either set the edge and neutralize and be straight up to shed and fill a gap or drop back to defend a short pass?

Edited by Triple Threat

Trading Mario will be impossible. No team will want to pay him the salary that his contract calls for, and if everyone thinks the Bills will release him, they can sit back and make a more affordable offer. Maybe Williams will want to become a Patriot and not only make the playoffs for a change, actually get a ring.

I am afraid the Bills won't be able to re-sign any of their good FAs particularly on defense, because they won't want to stick around such a disaster, and watch their careers wasted in futility.

In any other job, a guy who drove an excellent organization into the ditch in only one year would get fired. NOW. Not at the end of the season, NOW. Bring back Schwartz as interim HC to let the players know they don't have to leave Buffalo to win.

It doesn't matter if he is angry with the defense of scheme, if he is not able to buy into the system, he needs to go.The player's role is to execute the coaches' strategy, not the other way around.

I can see your point and I'll add that even if Mario is upset he should still show up to meetings and be a professional. But that's easier said than done - heck I've gotten soured at my employer before and my effort diminished. I'm not right for doing that but it happened.

If it's true Mario is frustrated with the scheme - I'd rather he say screw it on the field and I'm doing it my way - and go kill the QB vs skipping meetings.

This wouldnt suprise me......only saving grace of losing Supa would be if Rex made a big boy poop and brought in Moo Wilkerson.. THAT would be awesome for our Defense after its been castrated by scheme and players not being able to learn the books quick enuff

This has to happen. Saves a tremendous amount of money and allows Rex to move back to a more traditional 3-4 look. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-4 DE taken in the first or second round next year

We need 3-4 DE/LB in free agency that has enuff experience in Rexs or other 3-4 systems and is good enuff to make a difference here, though I agree we should draft a few but we also need to bring in a ringer Veteran to add a haymaker to our DEF fight

For anyone who missed Buscaglia's photo, that's Mario Williams being blocked by Darren Sproles. I repeat, Darren Sproles, one of the smallest RBs in the league. Mario, pick that little dude up and throw him into the QB!

CWSZOH1WEAE7hSm.png

sometimes your eyes don't lie

I am very sad/disappointed that Mario seems to have checked out, but I always thought that there had to be some bigger issues for that defense to be so discombobulated.

Mario is one of the big name guys on that D, so if he is whining and playing games and not giving 100% effort it is going to affect everyone on defense.

You can get the same production from a rookie. He was unwilling to adapt to the scheme, and wasn't winning his 1:1 matchups when he was asked to just do what he wanted - rush the passer. Open up the cap space.

He was one of my favorites. But it's too much for what he's bringing to the table at this point.

Agreed. I think you could get even more from Shaq Lawson than we got from Mario this year.

Totally legitimate argument. Players are also emotional creatures and football is one of the few games that emotion plays a huge part in performance. I think Rex being called a "players coach" gets misinterpreted a bit - I think he's also bull headed enough to alienate people in general for the sake of his way. I would feel different if he was the only player who's results have dropped off.

Rex doesn't like to admit he's wrong - he's a point the finger kind of guy. No doubt that you're right on Ryan has coached legit defenses - there's also no doubt he inherited a legit defense. So this can't be all Mario.

I do agree that it appears Mario is pouting and he deserves criticism for sure. I also see effort on the field from Mario as he is in my view clearly trying to push that O lineman back because he's going hard - but that's all he's doing. Could it be that the defensive scheme is dictating him to do that so he can either set the edge and neutralize and be straight up to shed and fill a gap or drop back to defend a short pass?

I find him to be the polar opposite TT. Odd you say that.

And yes it could be all be Mario.

I don't think it is . but he might really be more stubborn than even Rex !!

Edited by 3rdand12

sometimes your eyes don't lie

I am very sad/disappointed that Mario seems to have checked out, but I always thought that there had to be some bigger issues for that defense to be so discombobulated.

Mario is one of the big name guys on that D, so if he is whining and playing games and not giving 100% effort it is going to affect everyone on defense.

totally agree. We need the slackers off this D. I've been impressed with Marcell, but the guy is the only one showing effort on the line. They really miss K. Williams. The secondary appears to be playing hard and loving it, however. RAMBO.

For anyone who missed Buscaglia's photo, that's Mario Williams being blocked by Darren Sproles. I repeat, Darren Sproles, one of the smallest RBs in the league. Mario, pick that little dude up and throw him into the QB!

CWSZOH1WEAE7hSm.png

wow. just wow. If I'm the defensive coordinator this is getting blown up and made into a poster in the defensive meeting room. Ask Mario to explain wtf happened there. Time for some accountability and public shaming of his half-a**ing. We get the defensive coordinator is a total idiot, that's obvious in the scheme, but your paid to play at 100%. Do it.

Does anyone think Mario is a leader? Your highest paid players should be leaders, not cancers. Good riddance.

Mario is a crybaby. Get rid of him. I understand the players frustration at this crappy non-attacking style of play. But play at 100%, even if it is a stupid scheme.

CWSZOH1WEAE7hSm.png

This is mostly what i have seen. and once in awhile he shows great hustle and leverage. Drives me nuts.

injury my petard.

This really upsets me he does not put the effort in. And hell yes he should be a / The leader.

Shame

Edited by 3rdand12