Who Still Likes the Rex Hire

billsfan_34

I have to admit, the penalties, the "stupid" defense that Rex likes to play when the Bills need a loss (you know, when they don't cover or bring any pressure) have me beyond frustrated. There's no reason for 8 penalties, let alone 14. How does this so-called genius make a great defense so bad? We need a win? Well, you can go ahead and add another L to the loss column. Every damn time. Every. Damn. Time.

I get that there wasn't a better HC out there. But wow, he has been worse than I could have imagined. If he gets canned/quits after this abortion of a season, I won't feel the least bit sad to see him go. Holy cow, has he dragged this team backwards.

Hue Jackson my friend

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that there wasn't a better HC out there. But wow, he has been worse than I could have imagined. If he gets canned/quits after this abortion of a season, I won't feel the least bit sad to see him go. Holy cow, has he dragged this team backwards.

Well...Bowles and Hugh Jackson were interesting prospects...

It's the players doing the penalties, not Rex.

+1

He doesn't make penalties, throw interceptions, fumble the ball, or get injured. Injuries have killed this team and anyone who doesn't believe injuries matter is a fool. If the replacement players we better or equal players, they'd play here or somewhere else. Injuries aren't an excuse, they're an explanation.

Still don't have a QB either. Blame Rex all you want, the guy has never had a serious franchise QB. I'm not an apologist but you can't expect a guy to come in to an 8-8 team (that NE win was a joke) and with the addition only of an unknown QB, RB, WR (all who by the way missed game with injuries) and a handful of draft picks, not including a first, and have a lot of success when they injuries have piled up and up and up.

Everyone that loves the blame game misses the importance of building a team. Whaley has done a god job drafting and getting talent but they're not good enough yet. The right side of line has been a problem all year (guess what... injuries), they have no legit #2 WR (they guy brought in... guess what, hurt). The LBs are mediocre. The safety play has been bad (guess what.... injuries).

I don't give a sh!t who the coach is, this team lost way to many man games to injury, didn't make enough plays, and needs some serious upgrades at key positions... oh and has a mediocre QB, a minor issue in the NFL. Who would come in and be better? The next great college failure? The next great OC or DC to fail? The road to the NFL sideline is littered annually with the dead souls of former hot commodity coaches.

Save the Jets are better. The talent on their D far outshines the Bills and sadly, Fitzpatrick has put together a waaaay better year than TT. Again, QB play matters, if you thought a rookie QB with what, one start (I don't even know), was going to lead this team to the playoffs, you should have your head examined.

Last point about Fitz... speaks a little to my argument about patience. Yeah he's not perfect but this constant NFL shuffle of QBs and coaches on teams like the Bills gives you what you get, no continuity and no playoffs.

Anyone confident this QB leads then to the playoffs next year?

And BTW, with Shady shut up now? Sick of his tired act.

I was fine with the hire. Figured the defense would remain on of the best and the offense would improve a bit under Roman's guidance.

Things just never work out in Buffalo.

I'd be fine if they fired Rex now and let Roman finish the year as interim HC. If these guys play more disciplined under Roman, you got yourself a HC.

I'd prefer it. I've been on the wait and see train for every freakibg mistake this team has made in the past two decades. Just get it over with now. Three years from now the roster will be less talented than now.

Terrible. His old team was a tire fire under him. Now the Jets are fighting for a playoff spot. The Bills meanwhile, have taken a step back.

Nothing is going to change under this guy. Keep him, and next December we'll be having the same conversation about a stupid, undisciplined team.

This!

Jets 8-5

Bills 6-7

and its the defense, and penalties killing this team. 15 for 101 yards!! Anyone else notice how the Eagles D linemen were so difficult to block? That is how the Bills D linemen looked last year!

Pegulas need to make a move now--pretty apparent Rex and Whaley and crew are not the answer.

How the hell do people blame Whaley? I don't get it.

The team is only the most talented we've seen in years. How is this the GM's fault?

It would be so stupid for them to get rid of Whaley.

Y'all are bringing up good points (I'm in Tennessee so I can say "y'all").

Rex is full of bravado and talk, but when it comes down to gameday coaching he just isn't there. This team is completely undisciplined. Penalties, blown coverages, missed coaching challenges, etc. We were very close in a lot of these losses and easily could have won some of them.

This season will go down as one of the most frustrating in my book, because the talent is (seemingly) there.

New idea.

Bills have to stay under the league average in penalties for their last three games, if Rex wants to keep his job.

I don't like that, honestly. The damage has already been done. The penalties have been an issue since week 2.

Now that there's nothing to play for and no pressure, penalties may drop off simply because of that and nothing Rex did.

I recall Hughes jumping offsides every game last year too.

Under Marrone and Schwartz Hughes was a more effective player. Yes, he had a tendency to periodically jump offsides last year but without a doubt he was a more effective player. Under the prior regime Dareus was not only one of our best defensive players on the team but he was one of the best defensive linemen in the league. His play has noticeably dropped off this year.

Mario Williams is a shell of what he was. I'm not going to blame his vanishing act on the coaching staff and the change in scheme. I strongly believe that he is playing with an injury to his foot that is severely impairing him.

I've never been a Rex Ryan fan. As far as I am concerned he is a self-promoting huckster. He had initial success with the Jets but the longer he coached them the worse the team got. When he left the team was in a shambles. Based on his record with the Jets his hire was not only a bad hire it was a peculiar hire.

The Jets are a better team with an upward trajectory without the slick former Jets and the Bills are now a stuck franchise due to their own doing with this ridiculous hire.

Coaching matters!

Rex is full of bravado and talk, but when it comes down to gameday coaching he just isn't there. This team is completely undisciplined. Penalties, blown coverages, missed coaching challenges, etc. We were very close in a lot of these losses and easily could have won some of them.

This season will go down as one of the most frustrating in my book, because the talent is (seemingly) there.

Looks like Schwartz may end up coaching Tennessee next year. Some people want him back, but weren't his guys in Detroit undisciplined too?

Roman at least came from a team that was disciplined under Harbaugh. Maybe he'll know a thing or two.

I disliked the hire from day one. Dislike it even more now that he decimated our defense. Some defensive genius. How about this genius, figure out what defensive schemes we used last year (when we were a top ranked D) and continue them. You know, when we used to play to the strengths of our playmakers?

I hate even more the fact that by the time we figure out he's not the right coach, much of this team's talent will be gone. Go ahead Lucy, pull the football away again.

Just grose what a pathetic choice of a coach and a pathetic franchise all the kool aid drinkers please stand up

Why in the world are you attacking your fellow fans? Grow up.

So if I thought the Rex hire seemed logical then your frustration is with me?

Looks like Schwartz may end up coaching Tennessee next year. Some people want him back, but weren't his guys in Detroit undisciplined too?

Roman at least came from a team that was disciplined under Harbaugh. Maybe he'll know a thing or two.

His offense has had a large chunk of the penalties this year.

I hold Rex responsible for the lack of discipline. But the scheme change was what it was. You hire Rex Ryan and he is going to run his defense.

So we added all these weapons but lost

Mario, Dareus, and Kyle Williams. None of these players look good in the Rex scheme but you can't ask Rex to coach something he doesn't want to coach.

Only good news is that Mario and Kyle were on their way out anyway so no point in demanding a 4-3 scheme next year. Move Dareus to DE, get a NT. Get another inside linebacker with size and speed. Draft a safety early.

Not true- you preach discipline fundamental play in practice and hold players accountable! He doesnt do that and its why we lead the leave

And just how do you hold players accountable? Show me an NFL team that does this. Do you bench starters (no ), cut them ( no) . That might work with some backup you don't need. Lots of penalties today by guys that got beat on the OL. You hold or your QB gets hurt. The others are pre snap discipline stuff, but again it's the NFL. What can you do if you don't have a better guy?

and that is all about team discipline, that is all Rex!

15 penalties for 101 yards vs 5 for 55 for the Eagles, I mean WTF its all on the coaches!

Yeah don't let reality get in the way of your argument. The Bills were second in the league last year, Jets were 17th. Maybe, just maybe, the players on this team, are morons. I've long advocated for drafting brains over brawn because you win with teachable players. Yeah before the Bills were 8th, Jets were 10th. So under Marrone, they were top 10. In 2012, the Jets were 29th.

Save blaming the lack of discipline on the coach. It's like blaming beer for someone being an alcoholic. Stupid players take penalties because they aren't smart enough. Calling Jerry Hughes.

I for one am willing to let him try and build a team. Even Whaley hasn't had enough time to truly put his stamp on it. Honestly there isn't much to blow up. A few bad contracts here and there to dump, and do we let a couple others walk instead of extending them?

I just want to avoid the bad free agent desperation contracts. Like that guard we signed with back problems.

Not everyone wants to come here... It's probably like less than half the league. So we're always at a disadvantage signing guys.

We're in every single game. That to me is a young team learning to win. They need leaders, and people to step up and grow as leaders. They need accountability, and some better depth players.

I don't think Schwartz will be the head coaching hire down here. I'm thinking it'll be an offensive guy who can put Mariota in a position to succeed. Hue Jackson and Josh McDaniels are a couple of names being thrown around.

I hold Rex responsible for the lack of discipline. But the scheme change was what it was. You hire Rex Ryan and he is going to run his defense.

Mario, Dareus, and Kyle Williams. None of these players look good in the Rex scheme but you can't ask Rex to coach something he doesn't want to coach.

Only good news is that Mario and Kyle were on their way out anyway so no point in demanding a 4-3 scheme next year. Move Dareus to DE, get a NT. Get another inside linebacker with size and speed. Draft a safety early.

Typical Bills treadmill. Lets change coaches then spend a few offseasons fixing a D that was top 5. Round and round it goes.

And watch the playoff drought extend to 20 years...

I disliked the hire from day one. Dislike it even more now that he decimated our defense. Some defensive genius. How about this genius, figure out what defensive schemes we used last year (when we were a top ranked D) and continue them. You know, when we used to play to the strengths of our playmakers?

I hate even more the fact that by the time we figure out he's not the right coach, much of this team's talent will be gone. Go ahead Lucy, pull the football away again.

But but we were going to be #1

Yeah don't let reality get in the way of your argument. The Bills were second in the league last year, Jets were 17th. Maybe, just maybe, the players on this team, are morons. I've long advocated for drafting brains over brawn because you win with teachable players. Yeah before the Bills were 8th, Jets were 10th. So under Marrone, they were top 10. In 2012, the Jets were 29th.

Save blaming the lack of discipline on the coach. It's like blaming beer for someone being an alcoholic. Stupid players take penalties because they aren't smart enough. Calling Jerry Hughes.

Right. This isn't high school ball. These guys make more than the coaches. It's a nice simple concise argument to blame coaches, but it's largely on the players to do as they are instructed. No coach is telling guys to commit procedure penalties. Practices now are glorified walk throughs. Players simply have way more to do with what happens on the field. The Jets were not usually at the top in penalties under Rex. The reason the Jets are better than last year is Brandon Marshall, Cromartie, Revis, and Zfitz is better than Geno. Simple as that.