Time to admit it: Marrone>Ryan

Estelle Getty

I never thiught I would say this but the Bills are almost certainly a playoff team in a weak AFC if the Bills stayed the course with Marrone (or he wanted to stay, or we gave him the contract extension, or he didn't dislike whaley, or whatever the case). There is one word to describe Ryan and his whole staff: SLOPPY. From play calling on offense, to not knowing when to challenge and when not to, to untimely rotation of players, to personal fouls, to bad penalties, to......

We bought into his circus and now one of the clowns stray juggling balls spilled our soda on our lap. But we can't change, we are forced to sit and watch the rest of this show that we know is gonna continue to get worst. Even with two pivotal people in this organization last year who have no business being on an NFL sideline (Hackett and Orton) we were still head and shoulders above this team. That is all you need to know.

And all the Bills players who bad mouthed Marrone, I get it. In school would you rather have a strict teacher who made you read and write all day or one who let you play Nintendo? I mean especially if your getting paid millions either way. It is sad when I can literally predict nearly ever Bills second half possesion on offense and defense. I told my buddy Watkins would be shut out the second half (see lee evans a few years back against the Dolphins). I knew the Cheifs would only get ahead by 8 (sub par teams rarely put other sub par teams away). And lastly i knew the Bills would get one more improbable drive at the end for Tyrod to run around with bad play calling and look foolish. This is because it is the Bills where only the faces change, not the outcome and the NFL is not totally on the up and up like alot of you still refuse to believe. Come back Doug!!! We know you regret it too!

*on a side note im glad the NFL felt the Broncos were worthy enough to beat the *pats. You know being on prime time with the changing of the gaurd at QB and the snow falling in Denver against a bitter rival. Oh it was just magical!!!

Edited by Estelle Getty

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure how that conclusion can be reached. The defense has clearly regressed, but Marrone's offense and OC were pop warner, and he essentially delegated the entire defense to Petrine then Scwartz.

They lost to a horrid raiders team and 6 other teams to boot. They only broke 500 because the pats benched their starting team.

not sure how that conclusion can be reached. The defense has clearly regressed, but Marrone's offense and OC were pop warner, and he essentially delegated the entire defense to Petrine then Scwartz.

They lost to a horrid raiders team and 6 other teams to boot. They only broke 500 because the pats benched their starting team.

See the first paragraph

This. It is Schwartz that should be missed. Not Marrone.

Lest we forget Maroon's first challenge in the NFL. He actually challenged a play where the Patriots fumbled the ball and recovered it. What he was challenging we will never know. His offense sucked, he failed in the biggest game of the year against the Raiders, and he destroyed any chance for EJ to become a viable QB. Saying he's better than Ryan is like saying Forrest Gump is better than Porky Pig.

Wow they lost to a bad team? Did they beat any great teams or nah?

Saying he's better than Ryan is like saying Forrest Gump is better than Porky Pig.

Haha I love it.

Both coaches are subpar. I think Rex did something special in 09 and 10 with the Jets, getting to back to back AFC CC Games. It seems like he has regressed as a coach, or just doesnt have the coaching support or the horses on the roster to do the same thing as 09-10... he got to the AFCC with Sanchez - let that sink in... Also, Marrone was still green when he left, but he didn't show much. I am surprised about the reports coming out that he is a hot candidate for a HC job...

Marrone leaving was his own choice. Could the organization have done something to make him stay? Maybe. With a decent roster, an improved year over year record, it seems like a coach just up and left a team that was on the rise. Why would he leave? I find it troubling to think that he would quit because Orton left... he left over Orton? ORTON? A middling QB on his way out? Something was up with Marrone and he left because he wanted to. Its not like he was fired so we could bring in Rex. I would have preferred to see DM and Schwartz stay for continuity, and to see what they could have done with TT at the helm (but that was a Rex move i think), but thats not how it worked out. I am ok with Rex at the moment. I am disappointed in the performance of the team, but look at the Ravens. They were crap even with Flacco and Forsett, no one is calling for Harbaughs job. Give Rex another year. We have waiting this long, whats another year, but at this point last year (DS) and the year before that (MP) Defensive coaching was superior to what we are seeing today.

I think the chemistry on the D side of the ball is missing this year and I am not sure why as the personnel is mostly the same. Hughes is not a leader, Mario is not a leader. KW - idk if hes a leader or not, but overall it seems like for all the talent, there is no anchor. Maybe I'm wrong. I am surprised we havent heard about locker room turmoil surrounding Hughes giving up personal fouls - a leader would be in his face calling out his childish BS.

In my observations... I see very few signs of player or coach growth in the league over the last 5-10 years. It seems like they either have it right away and are kept, or dont have it and are discarded. Its not often you see organizations stand behind players or coaches who struggle - there is just no leeway for failure, which is why I think improvement is not something seen very often - players are often benched or cut before they have a chance to work it out for themselves. I am open to examples of the contrary.

Go bills.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

Haha I love it.

Both coaches are subpar. I think Rex did something special in 09 and 10 with the Jets, getting to back to back AFC CC Games. It seems like he has regressed as a coach, or just doesnt have the coaching support or the horses on the roster to do the same thing as 09-10... he got to the AFCC with Sanchez - let that sink in... Also, Marrone was still green when he left, but he didn't show much. I am surprised about the reports coming out that he is a hot candidate for a HC job...

Marrone leaving was his own choice. Could the organization have done something to make him stay? Maybe. But with a decent roster, an improved year over year record, it seems like a coach just up and left a team that was on the rise. I find it troubling to think that he would quit because Orton left... he left over Orton? ORTON? A middling QB on his way out? Something was up with Marrone and he left because he wanted to. Its not like he was fired so we could bring in Rex. I would have preferred to see DM and Schwartz stay for continuity, and to see what they could have done with TT at the helm (but that was a Rex move i think), but thats not how it worked out. I am ok with Rex at the moment. I am disappointed in the performance of the team, but look at the Ravens. They were crap even with Flacco and Forsett, no one is calling for Harbaughs job. Give Rex another year. We have waiting this long, whats another year, but at this point last year (DS) and the year before that (MP) Defensive coaching was superior to what we are seeing today.

I think the chemistry on the D side of the ball is missing this year and I am not sure why as the personnel is mostly the same. Hughes is not a leader, Mario is not a leader. KW - idk if hes a leader or not, but overall it seems like for all the talent, there is no anchor. Maybe I'm wrong. I am surprised we havent heard about locker room turmoil surrounding Hughes giving up personal fouls - a leader would be in his face calling out his childish BS.

In my observations... I see very few signs of player or coach growth in the league over the last 5-10 years. It seems like they either have it right away and are kept, or dont have it and are discarded. Its not often you see organizations stand behind players or coaches who struggle - there is just no leeway for failure, which is why I think improvement is not something seen very often - players are often benched or cut before they have a chance to work it out for themselves. I am open to examples of the contrary.

Go bills.

The major example is Drew Brees. There aren't many others.

As of right now, Coach Marrone's winning percentage with the Bills is higher than Rex' with a larger sample size. So for now, I'd agree.

Rex' team reminds me of a Dick Jauron coached Bills team. Underperforming offense, bend and sometimes break defense, and a lot of losses in games we should win.

Edited by reddogblitz

Ryan has his entire defensive line riding IR and there were so many red flags early and often that we ignored them. From Kyle and Mario facing foot injuries earlier. To a lackadaisical trade deadline and even weaker performances on Whaley leveraging for free agency. Whaley has an empty cupboard for playoffs and a fluke pick in Troy Polamulou.

Whaley had red flags regarding Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, and Jerry Hughes last season. I ponder if he only refills coffee pots, points to an empty cupboard of playoff victories, and brings up how many "stars" of aging and depleted skills he kept on the team. Russ Brandon went onto the Sabres and Whaley has not even been given an extension.

Yesterday around this time, I was about as angry as I have EVER been watching a Bills game. 24 hours later, I have calmed down a bit.

Rex had one of his worst games ever as a coach yesterday. The blown challenges (or non-challenges), the mishaps on defensive calls, and more.

Still, it is hard to compare him this year to Marrone from last season who had already had time to place his imprint on the team after a full season. Rex's team just lost a heartbreaker to the Chiefs; Marrone's teams lost similar games in 2013 and 2014. Remember that Marrone's team finished 6-10 in his first season. This 2015 team will likely finish with 8-10 wins.

I think many factors entered into Marrone's decision to quit on the team: not the least of which was questions about the QB position and worries about an aging defense.

As frustrated as I am with Rex, I am willing to give him one more season to pick up some additional players that are more in keeping with his defensive scheme -- and see where it goes from there.

BTW, this discussion is moot if somehow the Bills go on a tear and win their last 6 games -- which is not an impossibility given the favorable schedule from here on out. Sadly, with the loss yesterday they no longer control their own destiny -- but all they need in conjunction with winning out is a loss from the Steelers somewhere along the line.

BTW, this discussion is moot if somehow the Bills go on a tear and win their last 6 games -- which is not an impossibility given the favorable schedule from here on out. Sadly, with the loss yesterday they no longer control their own destiny -- but all they need in conjunction with winning out is a loss from the Steelers somewhere along the line.

Fifteen years of, "By the way, if we win our last ____ games...." And we never do. Never a good sign when in November or early December we're talking about having to win out.

As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."

If Marrone had been asked about his lack of challenges, he would have rolled his eyes, growled and insisted his process was correct and how dare anyone question him. Then refused to make any changes because the media is just bullying him.

He also lost to KC twice, at home, and at this point last year only had 3 conference wins. Now that guy had potential.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Maybe Doug Marrone has a better record at this point if he stayed. Maybe not. It would depend on who his starting QB would have been. Is it Tyrod Taylor? Unlikely. Is it EJ? Do the the Bills acquire McCoy? No and No. So...which journeyman QB would have been handing the ball off to Fred Jackson and Bryce Brown? How would that have made this team better than 5-6 at this point?

I thought Marrone was a putz. I think that Ryan is a doofus. What's the difference?

Edited by Gale Gilbert

How do you know this? At this point I'd be even curious as what makes you think so.

I don't know. It's my opinion... I didn't do a ton of research on that particular trade before posting. It struck me as a move that Ryan loved. I don't think that, given the same option, Marrone would have agreed to it because... well...I think he's a putz. He was also part of the group that drafted Alonso. Ryan had no such loyalty.

Now answer my question. Who would be the QB?

I don't know. It's my opinion... I didn't do a ton of research on that particular trade before posting. It struck me as a move that Ryan loved. I don't think that, given the same option, Marrone would have agreed to it because... well...I think he's a putz. He was also part of the group that drafted Alonso. Ryan had no such loyalty.

Now answer my question. Who would be the QB?

i think it would have been Cassel

Absolutely wrong. In Marrone's second and best season the Bills were essentially 4 and 8 vs. the AFC. That pretty much sucks if you are in the AFC. Also doesn't look so good for the Jim Schwartz fan club either.

This season they are 5 and 5 in the AFC.

I'm not happy with the season as it is unfolding and yesterday's game was a bad one but the coaches need more time.

Edited by jethro_tull

This. It is Schwartz that should be missed. Not Marrone.

Exactly,... lets start with a discussion of who would be our QB if Marrone was still coach, because it certainly wouldn't be Tyrod. Say what you will about Ryan, but I'm pretty convinced that he's the one who lured Tyrod to Buffalo. If Marrone was the coach he probably would have insisted on a veteran as he didn't want to give EJ as shot. He would be going into his 3rd year and he would have demanded a veteran game manager QB. So we would have had started Cassel or brought in either McNown or Brian Hoyer.... take a look at their records in Dallas, Cleveland and Houston respectively. We and he would be living with the limitations of those guys rather than the growing pains of Tyrod Taylor

Edited by cage

Marrone thought he was an offensive guy (and in many ways, I found him offensive) but he hired a good DC. Rex thinks he's a defensive guy, and he hired a decent OC (despite what many think, hard to score without blocking). We need the best of both worlds. Oh, and maybe a Pro Bowl/HOF QB would be nice too.

Best HCs are really managers who show good judgement about who to hire and how to regulate their limitations, especially the OC and DC. Guys like coughlin, bellichick, Carroll, etc are great at that. Rex's problem is that he has no one to regulate his bias of a having a running back at the QB position . Like gailey before him thinking he needed a rocket scientist. I take in Rex's case it comes from his defensive perspective that they're harder to game plan for, and Hailey thinking he'd concocted some brilliant but complex scheme. Occasionally those guys like tebow will get you in post season if everything else goes right, problem is they wont get you far. That said I still think we have decent shot (1 in 3? chance) at the last WC spot. But from seeing how the top teams play, I have no expectation we go anywhere past that round

Edited by JTSP

My feelings on Ryan went from 1. Cautiously optimistic. 2. I have serious doubts, but I hope he proves me wrong. 3. The guy is just a BAD coach

Sucks, cause his heart is in the right place and you want to like him, but he tries too hard to be friends with the guys and thinks if I have their back they will have mine. Sorry, doesn't work that way, especially with the money these guys make. They are not prepared and at least on Defense are not put in position to succeed.

Lest we forget Maroon's first challenge in the NFL. He actually challenged a play where the Patriots fumbled the ball and recovered it. What he was challenging we will never know. His offense sucked, he failed in the biggest game of the year against the Raiders, and he destroyed any chance for EJ to become a viable QB. Saying he's better than Ryan is like saying Forrest Gump is better than Porky Pig.

How exactly did Marrone destroy EJ's chances? Am pretty sure EJ's failings are his own.

I never thiught I would say this but the Bills are almost certainly a playoff team in a weak AFC if the Bills stayed the course with Marrone (or he wanted to stay, or we gave him the contract extension, or he didn't dislike whaley, or whatever the case). There is one word to describe Ryan and his whole staff: SLOPPY. From play calling on offense, to not knowing when to challenge and when not to, to untimely rotation of players, to personal fouls, to bad penalties, to......

We bought into his circus and now one of the clowns stray juggling balls spilled our soda on our lap. But we can't change, we are forced to sit and watch the rest of this show that we know is gonna continue to get worst. Even with two pivotal people in this organization last year who have no business being on an NFL sideline (Hackett and Orton) we were still head and shoulders above this team. That is all you need to know.

And all the Bills players who bad mouthed Marrone, I get it. In school would you rather have a strict teacher who made you read and write all day or one who let you play Nintendo? I mean especially if your getting paid millions either way. It is sad when I can literally predict nearly ever Bills second half possesion on offense and defense. I told my buddy Watkins would be shut out the second half (see lee evans a few years back against the Dolphins). I knew the Cheifs would only get ahead by 8 (sub par teams rarely put other sub par teams away). And lastly i knew the Bills would get one more improbable drive at the end for Tyrod to run around with bad play calling and look foolish. This is because it is the Bills where only the faces change, not the outcome and the NFL is not totally on the up and up like alot of you still refuse to believe. Come back Doug!!! We know you regret it too!

*on a side note im glad the NFL felt the Broncos were worthy enough to beat the *pats. You know being on prime time with the changing of the gaurd at QB and the snow falling in Denver against a bitter rival. Oh it was just magical!!!

Ha ha

grass was not greener. just recall the O line play. every week of horrible nesses