A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While the Bills are at "trying to get better' and "focusing on what is ahead" could they spend 20 minutes or so on running new 2 point conversion plays? Ones that don't involve Taylor rolling out if at all possible since it seems every team sort of knows that?

Oh yeah, also work on having a tight end help out with Watt. TT seems like a nice young man. I'd like to see him live through the next game.

I've never seen a coaching staff so consistently game plan AWAY from their team's strengths. It's really incredible to behold.

That simple and concise statement pretty well sums up the Bills' 2015 season.

We can all banter back and forth about the various players and should they stay or go or get paid or suck, but the coaches on this team seem clueless as to what players they have and what their strengths are. It is indeed incredible.

Edited by Dan

f) Never a complete game by the Bills, when the offense is on, the defense is a no show and viceversa.

this.

Not to mention penalties. Rex does have the rap of having undisciplined teams. Parcels or Belichick would have none of it. No discipline.

Also, this organization if not being managed well .. run down batteries on headsets on away game? Coaches in booth not advising Rex on challenges? Not a well run team! Again, we never see this S*it happen on good teams.

This one is tough to swallow, but the season is alive and we have to find a way to beat the Texans and get to 6-6.

1) Rex is taking a lot of heat, but someone else is to blame for the challenges, and Roman/Tyrod are responsible for not getting Sammy the ball in the second half. I still think Rex is an excellent coach, and I'm not as down on him after this one as some are.

2) Their OL was hurting as much as our DL, so I would have liked to see better pressure and creativity. Smith is a good runner and smart, but I think creativity could have gotten some pressure on him.

3) Going for two early was worse than the missed extra point. We will never know, but being down 7 instead of 8 could have been a big difference.

4) Back to Sammy, the first blame is on Roman. There were so many deep sideline routes even after he got the safety help. Call a play where Tyrod can target him without throwing deep into double coverage. Second blame is on Tyrod. Understand the game, and find a way to get to him on the progression at least a few more times even with the bad play calling. Third is on Rex. Don't let Roman exist in a vacuum. After a no catch third quarter, go over to him and say "Greg, call some plays to get the ball to Sammy".

5) Hard to play without four different Williams. I'm glad we didn't have a fifth Williams today to be unavailable.

Did I mention shaking this off, beating the Texans, and getting to 6-6? 10-6 is a long way away, but we have a winnable home game leading into a weaker three game stretch before the Jets at home. Need to get to 6-6 first, but a lot of good things can happen.

At 9-7 we would need a miracle, but 10-6 will get us in with the remaining schedules for the other contenders.

Today was a key game and a tough one to lose, but not a playoff game. NEXT Sunday is the first of five playoff games. And hit the playoffs at 10-6 and a five game winning streak would certainly be a good place to be. But the Texans and their four game winning streak is going to be a challenge and we have to be up for it.

Actually, that was the right game plan. Smith shouldn't be able to beat you from the pocket.

The problem is that they didn't count on Darby getting burnt for a long TD, the LBs whiffing agains the run in the 2nd half, or Bacarri Rambo deciding to double the RB instead of picking up the short zone on the Kelce TD.

Place the blame on coaching for inability to challenge the official calls at the proper times, but the defensive issues were execution-related.

i hear what you're saying about execution, but my intuition tells me that Reid's guys saw something to exploit after we shut them down so effectively in their first few possessions. something Rex wasn't prepared for.

from your posts, i know you realize that sometimes it only takes a slight tweek to a play design to either give a defender something he doesn't recognize - or give him something he thinks he recognizes.

this is what concerns me about Rex's defenses this season. that he either doesn't have smart enough players - whether because of backups playing, or not - to force an opponent to adjust where he wants him to..

or he's getting hit with counters he hasn't anticipated. either way, we're not defending at the level he himself thought we were capable of..

The thing that is most sickening to me about this game is this:

So sick of being sickened by this team. So sick of having this feeling before Dec games even start.

My kids are going to college next year, and have been Bills fans since before they really even understood what was happening on the field - and their favorite team has not even made the playoffs essentially in their lifetime. W T F

"I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of being sick and tired." Monty Python

Amen brother....amen.

And deep down, didn't you wonder how the Bills were going to screw it all up after taking the lead in the 1st half? Can't you say that you knew it was coming? I have to admit that I did...and this coming from a 30 year Bills fan.

I just can't for the life of me realize why us Buffalo fans are tortured in the manner that we are? What did we EVER do to deserve this insanity?

I just don't get it.

Its no simple puzzle. But it is as real as daybreak.

The trick is how we deal with it.

Nod to Bill : )

i hear what you're saying about execution, but my intuition tells me that Reid's guys saw something to exploit after we shut them down so effectively in their first few possessions. something Rex wasn't prepared for.

from your posts, i know you realize that sometimes it only takes a slight tweek to a play design to either give a defender something he doesn't recognize - or give him something he thinks he recognizes.

this is what concerns me about Rex's defenses this season. that he either doesn't have smart enough players - whether because of backups playing, or not - to force an opponent to adjust where he wants him to..

or he's getting hit with counters he hasn't anticipated. either way, we're not defending at the level he himself thought we were capable of..

afraid you are are on track here. Coaching expectations are not realized by the players being fielded . shame on the coaches though.

rex has been "out coached " a couple times this season with adjustments.

Today we had so many D line players down and Tarpley calling plays?

Would need a whole lot of help. Texans seems to have woken up, particularly Watt. But the real killer is KC. A game up on the Bills now, they own the tiebreaker, and every team they play the remainder of the season is under .500. The Bills aren't dead, but this loss was a killer and has them on life support and they will almost need divine intervention to make the playoffs now.

This loss wipes out any chance of going 11-5, but was the hardest game left on our schedule, and the most likely for us to lose if we were going to go 10-6.

10-6 gets us in to the playoffs. It is actually more likely that we make the playoffs at 9-7 then we miss them at 10-6, with a number of plausible paths to the former, but some pretty creative configurations needed for the latter.

But the issue is unless we win our sixth game, we could also go 5-11 or 7-9uaron.

New England wouldn't have lost this game, New England wouldn't be 5-6, but you know if it happened, their evening of being pissed would be over, and starting right now it would be "we are on to Houston".

So I'm cool if they want to fire/demote/reassign whoever was responsible for challenges. I'm fine if Rex gives Roman and Taylor an ultimatum of targeting Sammy every half and not just running deep sideline routes into safety help. But things will start to seem more reasonable and doable if we can find our way to 6-6 and look at the last quarter of our schedule and the chances that we go on winning streak. So above all #WeAreOnToHouston.

10-6 gets us in to the playoffs. It is actually more likely that we make the playoffs at 9-7 then we miss them at 10-6, with a number of plausible paths to the former, but some pretty creative configurations needed for the latter.

I'm not confident the Bills beat the Texans, but assuming the Bills run the table from here. KC is likely to as well. Even if KC loses one game, they STILL finish above the Bills. What makes you think even 10-6 is a lock for the playoffs?

post-11748-0-53919600-1448854598_thumb.jpg

Edited by CodeMonkey

What was frustrating about the dismal defensive performance is we saw none of the mixtures from last week. No more pressure packages, just drop back and let Alex Smith get comfortable. I hope this drop into coverage is just one of the things they do next week. Bring the heat and step up on defense as Watt will make life miserable for Tyrod.

1) No challenge on the catch by Hogan in the 4th quarter? I must admit, Rex is consistent. He is consistently idiotic, whereas he pulled the same stunt in the 2nd quarter. Not to be denied, he DID challenge plays that were clearly against us.

2) I don't know about you, but each and every time they showed Sammy's stats during the second half, it was like a knife in my stomach. Do you realize that we will have to look at those numbers all week? Not one f)$&^(g yard in the second half? Nothing?? You really cannot make this s%^t up.

3) I really like Tyrod. Seriously. But the man needs to be more decisive, be it getting rid of the ball or taking off to run. He, for the most part, did seem to have SOME time today, despite the horrible play of Henderson.

4) Seriously, when was the last time you saw a Bills player take over a football game the way Sammy did in the first half? Please, jog my memory. You just cannot lose a game in which a man plays this well! Ooops, I guess WE can.

5) There are times that you can beckon,

There are times when you must call.

You can shake a ton of reckoning,

But you can't shake it all.

There are times when I can help you out,

And times that you must fall.

There are times when you must live in doubt,

And I can't help at all.

Three blue stars / Rise on the hill.

Say no more, now / Just be still.

All these trials / Soon be past.

Look for something / Built to last.

6) The Bills couldn't even stop the Chiefs on the final drive, knowing full well that they were going to run the football. Just an absolute disgrace.

7) As soon as the 3rd quarter started, the Bills basically stopped rushing the quarterback. On the TD pass to #87 (Kelce?), they rushed only 3, and the lineman in the middle stayed back. Even a Bills fan should not have to sit through nonsense like this. Oh, and did you see his TD dance? I have several comments I would love to make about this but I choose to refrain.

8) Make no mistake, I will NEVER turn my back on the Bills or especially Bills fans. I will go to the grave as a loyal fan. Period. That said, it really is taxing sometimes, wouldn't you say folks? :(

9) How much of the game did you spend wondering exactly why the Bills under utilized Watkins last week? He was going past, over and around defenders, making it look SO easy. Who would ever believe that he wouldn't catch another pass? Seriously, this cannot happen.

10) Yikes, as I am typing this they once again displayed Sammy's numbers on the Seahawks game. No choice now, I've got to turn the S&%t off.

11) I can understand Hughes being frustrated, but his roughing the passer penalty was amateurish, stupid, and costly.

12) People, I am sorry that I allowed myself to get so angry. I mean this, and you are reading the edited version.

13) At least we are not alone. We are in this mess together.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks as if it will be 16 years in a row. My goodness. And you know what Bill, you have every right to be angry. I am not at all happy with the coaching staff particularly at head coach and the defense is either not that good or clearly playing in the wrong system. Main thing I look at here is we will be waiting until next season and hoping that we find a way to the playoffs in 2016. Cause lets be honest here, the Patriots are not going anywhere.

Darby had his first bad game. He could have made up for it with what looked like an easy pick six which probably would have won the game. That to me was the biggest play of the game for the Bills.

Good call. This was a close game and bad plays were made by both teams. The Bills D got some stops, but failed to make the game changing play when it literally hit them in the hands. Twice! The Darby dropped INT was a sure TD though and everything after was different because of it.

The Bills got out-coached. The defense was garbage. Again. And offensively, I still cannot understand how Watkins gets one target in the second half. That's borderline incompetent. I don't know what else that kid has to do to prove that good things happen when he gets targets.

Good call. This was a close game and bad plays were made by both teams. The Bills D got some stops, but failed to make the game changing play when it literally hit them in the hands. Twice! The Darby dropped INT was a sure TD though and everything after was different because of it.

Robey should have picked off that screen pass too. I don't know why he held up.

Edited by purple haze

Place the blame on coaching for inability to challenge the official calls at the proper times, but the defensive issues were execution-related.

I don't agree with the above one bit.

This defense is passive up front, enough to remind one of the Levy/Jauron days. If I was an opposing OC, I would be laughing at Rex and The Bills as I watch their linemen run away from scrimmage. The Bills defense became a good one under Pettine. It got even better with Schwartz. This is because we had a pass rush. Under Pettine we had admittedly issues against the run, but this is a passing league, no?

I think that Rex is trying to show the world how smart he is. The problem is that in doing so, he is looking less like a genius and more like a buffoon. Sadly, he is causing the team to lose games.

This defense is passive up front, enough to remind one of the Levy/Jauron days. If I was an opposing OC, I would be laughing at Rex and The Bills as I watch their linemen run away from scrimmage. The Bills defense became a good one under Pettine. It got even better with Schwartz. This is because we had a pass rush. Under Pettine we had admittedly issues against the run, but this is a passing league, no?

I think that Rex is trying to show the world how smart he is. The problem is that in doing so, he is looking less like a genius and more like a buffoon. Sadly, he is causing the team to lose games.

I don't either. There were a couple plays, including the Kelcie TD, where it looked like we had 2 guys rushing and "dancing" with the linemen, 4 sprinting away, and 5 already back, with Smith standing comfortably. Then Darby is in man to man on Kelcie over the middle and NO inside help?

Edited by The Thurmanator

Gannon said it about 20 times: Aren't there 20 plays centered around getting Watkins the ball? Couldn't he be put in motion just once? Set up a WR screen. Run a pick play. At half time I was thinking that all they had to do was just keep letting him get chances and he would make plays.

Then comes the second half and time and again, I'd see Watkins on one side and Taylor not even look to Sammy. I blame Taylor some but I've got to blame Roman more. There need to be "Get Sammy the ball" plays.

Lucy is holding the football for Charlie Brown right now. Bills will win next 3 and get our hopes up only to screw us. It's coming Bills fans. Brace for the rise of hope followed by it getting dashed on the rocks.

It seems Wrecks does not have a coach in the booth to tell him to challenge a play as Wrecks was relying on the replay inside the stadium. That is absolutely pathetic and inexcusable!!!

Not throwing to Sammy in the 2nd half is also absolutely pathetic and inexcusable!!! Roman needs to dial up some crossing routes, slants, screens etc to get more use out of Watkins instead of always doing the "go-route."

Robert Woods, what a disappointment he's been. While he is a great blocker, he's no #2 WR. Woods constantly drops passes, seems to run the wrong routes and is always diving back for the ball and is not in sync with Taylor.

The defense was a major letdown after MNF. I blame that on Wrecks & Thurman's game plan.

I had a new sense of optimism for this team as the old guard is gone and new owners took over and invested a ton of money in the team with a lot of new players and coaches, but it's just the same old Bills. 16 years and counting, when will it end...

Gannon said it about 20 times: Aren't there 20 plays centered around getting Watkins the ball? Couldn't he be put in motion just once? Set up a WR screen. Run a pick play. At half time I was thinking that all they had to do was just keep letting him get chances and he would make plays.

Then comes the second half and time and again, I'd see Watkins on one side and Taylor not even look to Sammy. I blame Taylor some but I've got to blame Roman more. There need to be "Get Sammy the ball" plays.

Lucy is holding the football for Charlie Brown right now. Bills will win next 3 and get our hopes up only to screw us. It's coming Bills fans. Brace for the rise of hope followed by it getting dashed on the rocks.

Almost no hope now. KC plays no one over .500 for the remainder of the season, they are 6-5 now, and hold the tiebreaker over the Bills. The Bills are not mathematically eliminated at this point, but that loss yesterday got the fat lady ready to sing.

It seems Wrecks does not have a coach in the booth to tell him to challenge a play as Wrecks was relying on the replay inside the stadium. That is absolutely pathetic and inexcusable!!!

Not throwing to Sammy in the 2nd half is also absolutely pathetic and inexcusable!!! Roman needs to dial up some crossing routes, slants, screens etc to get more use out of Watkins instead of always doing the "go-route."

Robert Woods, what a disappointment he's been. While he is a great blocker, he's no #2 WR. Woods constantly drops passes, seems to run the wrong routes and is always diving back for the ball and is not in sync with Taylor.

The defense was a major letdown after MNF. I blame that on Wrecks & Thurman's game plan.

I had a new sense of optimism for this team as the old guard is gone and new owners took over and invested a ton of money in the team with a lot of new players and coaches, but it's just the same old Bills. 16 years and counting, when will it end...

We are following the Chip Kelly plan with Riley Cooper. Blocking WRs to complement the running game in a passing era. :cry::doh::wallbash:

I don't disagree that the overall philosophy is hurting their effectiveness.

What I'm saying is that, for this particular game, the game plan of don't blitz/play coverage was the correct one because Alex Smith shouldn't be able to beat you from the pocket. That the front 4 didn't create the pressure their capable of, and haven't all season, is most certainly a coaching issue.

Almost no hope now. KC plays no one over .500 for the remainder of the season, they are 6-5 now, and hold the tiebreaker over the Bills. The Bills are not mathematically eliminated at this point, but that loss yesterday got the fat lady ready to sing.

Oh ye of little faith. If you don't think the Bills will figure out a way to hurt us worse than yesterday, you must be a young fan.

KC will lose next 3. Bills will win next 3. Then there will be a catastrphic bad ref moment/dropped sure TD/kick off an upright/etc to send us to a 16th season of oblivion and pick #17 (a defensive back) in the draft.

Edited by Observer

What I'm saying is that, for this particular game, the game plan of don't blitz/play coverage was the correct one because Alex Smith shouldn't be able to beat you from the pocket. That the front 4 didn't create the pressure their capable of, and haven't all season, is most certainly a coaching issue.

Sounded like the smart scheme. You don't blitz an andy reid team. Unless you want to give up 40 yard screens all game.

We didn't get any pressure and smith broke contain multiple times. They also gashed us in the run game. That comes down to the LBs and depth linemen. IK, Carrington, Bryant all had miserable games.

1) No challenge on the catch by Hogan in the 4th quarter? I must admit, Rex is consistent. He is consistently idiotic, whereas he pulled the same stunt in the 2nd quarter. Not to be denied, he DID challenge plays that were clearly against us.

8) Make no mistake, I will NEVER turn my back on the Bills or especially Bills fans. I will go to the grave as a loyal fan. Period. That said, it really is taxing sometimes, wouldn't you say folks? :(

I agree wholeheartedly.

The lack of challenges on the Maclin catch and the Hogan catch really killed me.

The players who worked so hard to win this game, and all the fans who were so invested in the game, were screwed by the refs. But Rex was an unwitting accomplice.

Sounded like the smart scheme. You don't blitz an andy reid team. Unless you want to give up 40 yard screens all game.

We didn't get any pressure and smith broke contain multiple times. They also gashed us in the run game. That comes down to the LBs and depth linemen. IK, Carrington, Bryant all had miserable games.

Completely agree. I also think the safeties in particular were poor. Rambo surrendered the Kelce TD when he decided to double the RB out of the backfield instead of dropping to the short zone (Darby had the outside leverage in what looked like a bracket coverage there--he'd have no reason to play outside leverage if he wasn't supposed to have help inside).

Doesn't help that both Darby and Gilmore had relatively poor outings for guys that we're used to playing at a fantastic level.

Completely agree. I also think the safeties in particular were poor. Rambo surrendered the Kelce TD when he decided to double the RB out of the backfield instead of dropping to the short zone (Darby had the outside leverage in what looked like a bracket coverage there--he'd have no reason to play outside leverage if he wasn't supposed to have help inside).

Doesn't help that both Darby and Gilmore had relatively poor outings for guys that we're used to playing at a fantastic level.

Hard to figure out why D&G were so bad. Going in I thought we shutdown their receivers. Instead we get toasted deep the whole game. Go figure.

Hard to figure out why D&G were so bad. Going in I thought we shutdown their receivers. Instead we get toasted deep the whole game. Go figure.

Give any qb all day to throw and he will find someone open. These guys are professionals.

The Bills are pros as well, but Rex is not allowing one of the best front fours of the decade to rush the quarterbacks of opposing teams.

It is SO unimaginable that it feels almost surreal.

Give any qb all day to throw and he will find someone open. These guys are professionals.

The Bills are pros as well, but Rex is not allowing one of the best front fours of the decade to rush the quarterbacks of opposing teams.

It is SO unimaginable that it feels almost surreal.

They were rushing 3 or 4 all game...? What am i missing here? They even did some wide 9 stuff everyone seems to like so much. Everyone on the defense played poorly. Rex didn't call a great game, and the players did not execute what was called. They lost... as a team.

Advice for Rex

- " Don't waste your breath to save your face when you have done your best, and if even more is asked of you.. fate will decide the rest"

Also.. let's hope this team is "Built To Last" and not just "Built to Try"

5) There are times that you can beckon,
There are times when you must call.
You can shake a ton of reckoning,
But you can't shake it all.
There are times when I can help you out,
And times that you must fall.
There are times when you must live in doubt,
And I can't help at all.

Three blue stars / Rise on the hill.
Say no more, now / Just be still.
All these trials / Soon be past.
Look for something / Built to last.

Oh ye of little faith. If you don't think the Bills will figure out a way to hurt us worse than yesterday, you must be a young fan.

KC will lose next 3. Bills will win next 3. Then there will be a catastrphic bad ref moment/dropped sure TD/kick off an upright/etc to send us to a 16th season of oblivion and pick #17 (a defensive back) in the draft.

Oh man, and I thought I was jaded! ;) hehe

In this game Alex Smith did what he rarely does i.e. throw deep down the field. Usually his first inclination is too dump the ball off at the first sign of pressure. His usual mind-set is a copy of the Trent Edwards dump off approach to passing. The reason why Smith broke out of his rigid small ball approach to the passing game is that he faced little pressure from our DL and had more time with minimal sack risk to throw it down field, which he did to much success.

The bottom line is that KC and the qb adjusted to what our defense did better than how we adjusted to what their offense did. Or another way of looking at this game is that their coaching staff out-coached our coaching staff from a number of standpoints.

As I stated in a prior post the better team and the better coached team won this game. It wasn't a fluke.

There are times even when a team has an excellent game plan that changes have to be made during the game to reflect how the game is flowing. Rex wasn't up to the task where Reid was.

How true and how sad. Up 10 to zip, D shutting them down, Sammy making nice grabs. Everything going our way! You cheer, you can't believe what you're seeing. But deep down inside you're waiting for the bubble to burst, wondering when and how it will all go sour. So sad our conditioning has brought us to this.

It's funny that you said this as I was thinking the same exact thing....Really!!!! Sad that it has come to this as a Bills fan!!!

In this game Alex Smith did what he rarely does i.e. throw deep down the field. Usually his first inclination is too dump the ball off at the first sign of pressure. His usual mind-set is a copy of the Trent Edwards dump off approach to passing. The reason why Smith broke out of his rigid small ball approach to the passing game is that he faced little pressure from our DL and had more time with minimal sack risk to throw it down field, which he did to much success.

The bottom line is that KC and the qb adjusted to what our defense did better than how we adjusted to what their offense did. Or another way of looking at this game is that their coaching staff out-coached our coaching staff from a number of standpoints.

As I stated in a prior post the better team and the better coached team won this game. It wasn't a fluke.

There are times even when a team has an excellent game plan that changes have to be made during the game to reflect how the game is flowing. Rex wasn't up to the task where Reid was.

Well said

I'm not confident the Bills beat the Texans, but assuming the Bills run the table from here. KC is likely to as well. Even if KC loses one game, they STILL finish above the Bills. What makes you think even 10-6 is a lock for the playoffs?

KC and Buf as the wild cards.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Five loss Jets get sixth loss against us. Would have to beat Pats and Giants to get to 10-6 and then lose head to head with us.

Five loss Steelers have Colts, Bengals, Broncos. If they lose any two or lose to the Broncos we win the tie breaker.

Five loss Texans get sixth loss against us, lose to Colts or leapfrog them for division and we win tie breaker against Colts

There are a couple scenarios where we could be eliminated by the Steelers at 10-6, but involves very specific combinations of things.

And even though there are a couple 9-7 paths, that isn't something I want to attach any hopes to, so right now we have to get to 6-6 on Sunday no matter what.

#WeAreOnToHouston