Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

I've liked sammy as a player since we drafted him. But this episode on social media was an insult to the fans, and put him in a personal dislike category. So long as he shuts up and catches footballs, I'll forgive his being a stupid douche.

Oooh, a little sensitive aren't you?Even a dope like Dopey knew it was directed at those who talked crap about him. If weren't one of them why do you care? Get a life. If this is your life, and you did talk crap about him,Sammy was right about you.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we all want Watkins to put up the numbers like he did in that Miami game every week. 8 rec for 168 yards, 1 TD. That is only one game this season though.

0-60-39-0-0-48-0-168-14. This last game 7 targets, 3 rec for 14 yards.

Sammy will always be compared to Beckham who is currently the 4th best WR this year 10 games 63 rec for 863 yards 8 TD's, and the NY Giants didn't give up their 2014 AND 2015 first round picks for the kid.

There is a real reason as to why some Bills fans are being critical about the current situation. Injuries aside, QB aside, offensive scheme aside the player is not even close to the level of expectations of most fans.

All we can do is hope we see more games like the Miami game.

Of course we all want Watkins to put up the numbers like he did in that Miami game every week. 8 rec for 168 yards, 1 TD. That is only one game this season though.

Sammy will always be compared to Beckham who is currently the 4th best WR this year 10 games 63 rec for 863 yards 8 TD's, and the NY Giants didn't give up their 2014 AND 2015 first round picks for the kid.

There is a real reason as to why some Bills fans are being critical about the current situation. Injuries aside, QB aside, offensive scheme aside the player is not even close to the level of expectations of most fans.

Do you think if situations were reversed Watkins would be putting up for the Giants numbers closer to what he has now, or Beckhams? Or somewhere in the middle?

What about Beckham for the Bills?

I have a hard time believing that Beckham's stats would look much different than Watkins here. Call me crazy or what, but we haven't been very WR1 friendly with how we play the games. Does that mean we really needed to trade up? I think that could be argued, but comparing Beckham to Watkins is absurd. Wait til the end of their careers before we start down that road.

Edited by What a Tuel

Do you think if situations were reversed Watkins would be putting up for the Giants numbers closer to what he has now, or Beckhams? Or somewhere in the middle?

What about Beckham for the Bills?

I have a hard time believing that Beckham's stats would look much different than Watkins here. Call me crazy or what, but we haven't been very WR1 friendly with how we play the games. Does that mean we really needed to trade up? I think that could be argued, but comparing Beckham to Watkins is absurd. Wait til the end of their careers before we start down that road.

No I don't, and simply because Watkins has been bogged down with injuries this season.

Watkins will always be compared to Odell Beckham Jr in my view because the Bills could have stayed put at #9, and drafted Beckham who went to the Giants at 12th while still having that 2015 first round pick. Whats crazy is the Bills had a real interest in Beckham before the draft, and for some reason lost that interest.

The bolded sentence -blowing off injuries, QB's & scheme as inconsequential- renders your whole point moot. Sammy has had serious injuries -none reported for Beckham. EJ/Orton/Taylor vs. Manning is ridiculous. MacAdoo vs Hackett warrants no comparison. But, Hey! Carry on with your rant.

There isn't one aspect of being a WR in which Beckham is superior to Watkins. Except in the "QB who can get him the ball" department. Unless you count one-handed catches, which any decent receiver can do in his sleep.

GO BILLS!!!

The numbers are the numbers. Excuses are the nails used to build our house of failure.

It's delusional, at this point, to think that Sammy is near the same level as OB. This may change, but the facts are the facts now!

Folks we are 9 games into the season and our leading receiver has 329 yards, half of which came in one game.

Edited by davspo

The numbers are the numbers. Excuses are the nails used to build our house of failure.

It's delusional, at this point, to think that Sammy is near the same level as OB. This may change, but the facts are the facts now!

Folks we are 9 games into the season and our leading receiver has 329 yards, half of which came in one game.

the QB is critical to the WR's success - jimmy graham and too many others to mention.

Context.

That is all.

No I don't, and simply because Watkins has been bogged down with injuries this season.

Watkins will always be compared to Odell Beckham Jr in my view because the Bills could have stayed put at #9, and drafted Beckham who went to the Giants at 12th while still having that 2015 first round pick. Whats crazy is the Bills had a real interest in Beckham before the draft, and for some reason lost that interest.

Because Sammie was the better prospect.....

Oh and

You cannot injuries aside....it is the biggest part of the equation

I ask this - can you hand on heart say that if they had been flipped and OBJ comes here and Sammy goes to NYG that you believe that OBJ would still be outstripping Sammy in terms of production?

Context.

That is all.

Agreed!

Not that numbers are everything. But, since you brought up raw yards without context. Let me try to add a little context.

Sammy Watkins ranks 76th in raw yards. When you adjust for games played, his 55yds/ game now becomes 43rd. When you adjust for the team, playcalling, QB, style of play, he rises to 25th, his adjusted yards per game is now 70. How did I get this? The average NFL has about 250 yards receiving per game, the Bills are 200, and adjustment of 1.25. You could adjust further, like Sammy played only about a quarter against Miami, but I'm not going to. BTW, the top guys are Stefon Diggs, Antonio Brown and Alshon Jeffrey. Beckham is in between somewhere. The top WR from last years class right now is Mike Evans at an adjusted 91/game.

Another mistake people make with numbers is they represent only what has happened, not what could happen in the future because of the players potential-which is a scouting issue.

Edited by The Thurmanator

Agreed!

Not that numbers are everything. But, since you brought up raw yards without context. Let me try to add a little context.

Sammy Watkins ranks 76th in raw yards. When you adjust for games played, his 55yds/ game now becomes 43rd. When you adjust for the team, playcalling, QB, style of play, he rises to 25th, his adjusted yards per game is now 70. How did I get this? The average NFL has about 250 yards receiving per game, the Bills are 200, and adjustment of 1.25. You could adjust further, like Sammy played only about a quarter against Miami, but I'm not going to. BTW, the top guys are Stefon Diggs, Antonio Brown and Alshon Jeffrey. Beckham is in between somewhere. The top WR from last years class right now is Mike Evans at an adjusted 91/game.

Another mistake people make with numbers is they represent only what has happened, not what could happen in the future because of the players potential-which is a scouting issue.

That's all without adding in factors like time spent playing with a lead vs. from behind, number of pass plays called, number of targets, number of routes on which the WR was open but wasn't targeted, etc. etc. etc.

Stats are a tool that should be considered in discussions like this; they are not the definitive factor.

Fail. Switch qbs and Sammy wears a gold jacket.

Fail. Switch qbs and Sammy wears a gold jacket.

Right?

Eli Manning has 384 pass attempts through 10 games this season.

Tyrod Taylor has 176. And just to be fair, I'll throw in EJ who has 84 and brings the Bills to 260.

384 vs 260. The difference alone is almost as many throws as TT has made all season.

I find it mind blowing that people still use numbers/stats as definitive proof of a players ability when that player is not in control of all the variables that go into playing the game of football.

Its delusional to post crap like this without adding context.

(Marshawn Lynch had 42 yards last week (?), 43 after contact, clearly he is not good :rolleyes: )

Folks if you do not understand the game of football and post/spew crap like this because stats helped you win $50 on Fan Duel in week 16 of the 2014 NFL season, then you are clueless about the actual game itself that is played on the field not your computer where numbers/stats win championships, but reflect little truth about the actual game played on the field.

There were several examples on the tape last week of Revis Island falling into the Watkins Triangle and clearly getting Lost. That is a fact, his numbers/stats do not reflect that but it did indeed happen.

Comparing OBJ and Sammy based on stats only demonstrates ignorance of the game and lacks context all together.

Edited by P51

I find it mind blowing that people still use numbers/stats as definitive proof of a players ability when that player is not in control of all the variables that go into playing the game of football.

Its delusional to post crap like this without adding context.

(Marshawn Lynch had 42 yards last week (?), 43 after contact, clearly he is not good :rolleyes: )

Folks if you do not understand the game of football and post/spew crap like this because stats helped you win $50 on Fan Duel in week 16 of the 2014 NFL season, then you are clueless about the actual game itself that is played on the field not your computer where numbers/stats win championships, but reflect little truth about the actual game played on the field.

There were several examples on the tape last week of Revis Island falling into the Watkins Triangle and clearly getting Lost. That is a fact, his numbers/stats do not reflect that but it did indeed happen.

Comparing OBJ and Sammy based on stats only demonstrates ignorance of the game and lacks context all together.

Watkins Triangle. :lol: Great work.

lol at "bills could have stayed put at 9 and taken OBJ" or they could have taken eric ebron who has not played up to a top 10 pick.

shoulda, woulda,coulda... could have had russel wilson. could have had tom brady. could have had antonio brown. sammy was the best wr prospect in a long time. i don't think he has even scratched the surface of how good he can be. injuries have derailed him. sammy is a flat out stud. "RE-LAX"-aaron rodgers......