Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They played a clip of Revis and Sammy kind of getting into it once - no flags thrown but there was chippiness. Anyone know if that was a one time occurrence where it seemed Revis was grabbing onto him and Sammy was pissed, or was that going on the whole game?

If it was the play I'm thinking of, Sammy was blocking Revis and laughing -- Revis took offense to being blocked. It looked like it was nothing until revis got up in sammy's grill. I'm guessing it was just harmless trash talking by both parties.

They played a clip of Revis and Sammy kind of getting into it once - no flags thrown but there was chippiness. Anyone know if that was a one time occurrence where it seemed Revis was grabbing onto him and Sammy was pissed, or was that going on the whole game?

I think it was going on the whole game. Revis, like many CBs, doesn't like getting blocked and Sammy is an aggressive and effective blocker in the run game. Glad Sammy has that chippiness in his game and that he can find other ways to help out when he isn't having a good day catching the ball. Too bad he dropped that one and had the 14 yarder called back on a holding call.

On a side note, leading up tomthe draft last year,I mentioned how a couple folks in the scouting world kept telling me to look at his college tape and just concentrate on his feet. Forget the catches, the moves, and his speed. Just look at his feet. I saw what they mean. If his hands are nasty his feet are downright evil. That gif making the rounds really drives that home.

GO BILLS!!!

He didn't say he wasn't upset about not being able to play . Just that he was ok and his job has a 100% injury rate. He wanted to play but knows it's not his fault he was injured. That's what he was not upset about. Why is this so hard to understand? Yes he said what he said, which is that if you have a problem with him being injured then you are a loser and should worry about your own little job and stop being concerned about his. Did you have a problem with him being injured? If you did then he was talking to you . If not he wasn't. I still have no problem with what he said because it's pretty much the truth. Not PC maybe , but true nonetheless. Criticizing guys for not performing on the field is one thing. Criticizing them for getting injured in a violent game is another. Be offended if you wish by his comments. I won't change my mind though.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

I couldn't care less what he said on social media.

Don't read it, don't care and know full well that people often say things on twitter/instagram in the heat of the moment that they regret.

But he said what he said.......and between you, me and him.....the only one who thinks he wasn't wrong for saying it is you.

And btw, Brandon Spikes wasn't on the team when Pettine was there. :lol:

Don't read it, don't care and know full well that people often say things on twitter/instagram in the heat of the moment that they regret.

But he said what he said.......and between you, me and him.....the only one who thinks he wasn't wrong for saying it is you.

It was wrong for his line of work. Not wrong from a defensive standpoint. If someone criticized me on how I do my job like people were doing to him, I would tell them to :censored: off, and worry about their own jobs as well. It was a bad idea and wrong, because of the way the masses would interpret it, not because of what he said.

I think it was going on the whole game. Revis, like many CBs, doesn't like getting blocked and Sammy is an aggressive and effective blocker in the run game. Glad Sammy has that chippiness in his game and that he can find other ways to help out when he isn't having a good day catching the ball. Too bad he dropped that one and had the 14 yarder called back on a holding call.

On a side note, leading up tomthe draft last year,I mentioned how a couple folks in the scouting world kept telling me to look at his college tape and just concentrate on his feet. Forget the catches, the moves, and his speed. Just look at his feet. I saw what they mean. If his hands are nasty his feet are downright evil. That gif making the rounds really drives that home.

GO BILLS!!!

It's a lot of what his fans here have said.

Production is important no doubt but when looking at these guys Sammy is special among even a great class. He is producing space on his routes so consistently and in ways that are incredible even if the offense hasn't been able to create catches out of that as often as ideal.

I think that catch will really help Rex push him in the game plan extra given what he thinks of revis.

It's a lot of what his fans here have said.

Production is important no doubt but when looking at these guys Sammy is special among even a great class. He is producing space on his routes so consistently and in ways that are incredible even if the offense hasn't been able to create catches out of that as often as ideal.

I think that catch will really help Rex push him in the game plan extra given what he thinks of revis.

But he needs to be able to make windmill catches with only one hand!

Seriously though, I had heard that several had him rated as a 7.9 prospect (on the old scouting scale of 8), which placed him even with Clowney coming out. To put that in perspective, there has been one prospect rated an 8 since Elway; Andrew Luck.

God knows it's an inexact science, but he was as close to a sure thing coming out of college. And lack of one-handed windmill catches notwithstanding, nobody in his draft class came close.

GO BILLS!!!

Amuse yourself much? Nice how you hurl an insult when someone doesn't agree with you. As if that indicates a flaw in reading comprehension. Perhaps Sammy's apology was genuine, but it seems like something he felt he was compelled to do. Just my opinion, which doesn't mean someone else cannot comprehend what they read. Btw, I never said Spikes was a Bill when Pettine was here, just kind of rambled two points about the last two seasons together and perhaps could have delineated them more clearly. Again, I won't say you couldn't comprehend it , just clarifying this. I'm fully aware he was a one year deal, but he made an impact on last years run D, playing on a relatively small number of snaps. Glad you found this hilarious , but it was just part of my larger point that the last two years were two different systems that the Bills ran pretty well, except that Pettine's D was not great vs the run compared w last years model. A difference there was the presence of Spikes last season. i.e. I think players make a larger difference than systems or coaches.

It was wrong for his line of work. Not wrong from a defensive standpoint. If someone criticized me on how I do my job like people were doing to him, I would tell them to :censored: off, and worry about their own jobs as well. It was a bad idea and wrong, because of the way the masses would interpret it, not because of what he said.

I think the little jobs thing was particularly unfortunate because it was friendly fire at his parents......who really struggled doing the epitome of "little jobs" to support he and his siblings, things like picking up garbage and delivering newspapers etc...

He didn't just tell people to worry about their jobs as you say..........because they were liable to just tell him that they do their jobs and don't need an agent to complain for them and all the other things that answering back would do.

He had to de-humanize them by be-littling their work to disarm them.

But he has no idea what kind of jobs those people have.....or if they even have to work or are just students etc........the only thing he accomplished for certain was to take an inadvertent shot at his own parents.

It was an immature response from a college aged kid and unfortunately social media gave him a platform to embarrass himself.

He made a mistake and he will learn from it just like he learned from his drug arrest and hasn't had that issue again etc..

It was a bad idea and wrong, because of the way the masses would interpret it, not because of what he said.

How you express yourself got a long way in determining how the masses will interpret it. So what he said was a big part of the issue, whether that's what he meant or not.

I think the little jobs thing was particularly unfortunate because it was friendly fire at his parents......who really struggled doing the epitome of "little jobs" to support he and his siblings, things like picking up garbage and delivering newspapers etc...

He didn't just tell people to worry about their jobs as you say..........because they were liable to just tell him that they do their jobs and don't need an agent to complain for them and all the other things that answering back would do.

He had to de-humanize them by be-littling their work to disarm them.

But he has no idea what kind of jobs those people have.....or if they even have to work or are just students etc........the only thing he accomplished for certain was to take an inadvertent shot at his own parents.

It was an immature response from a college aged kid and unfortunately social media gave him a platform to embarrass himself.

He made a mistake and he will learn from it just like he learned from his drug arrest and hasn't had that issue again etc..

Literally the only thing he said that could be taken as an attack was "get a life, go to work, stop worrying about my job because I'm good on this end and forever will be losers, most of you just wish to be in this position so continue working y'all little jobs for the rest of y'all lives"

This was a 22 year old's response to hurt the people that were hurting him. It was not a social commentary on the working class. Only the internet would interpret it as such. I don't believe his parents think he was targeting them and their jobs either. I think they were probably upset with him lashing out, but beyond that, they know Sammy more than any one of us, and probably understand better than you or me that it was a defensive mechanism, not commentary on the working class.

How you express yourself got a long way in determining how the masses will interpret it. So what he said was a big part of the issue, whether that's what he meant or not.

It is clear what he meant was to insult the people insulting him. He clearly chooses the people harassing them as his subject and consistently targets them. Obviously the masses would interpret it as an attack on them because they can't make that distinction on their own. That is why it was wrong of him to do it, but I do not blame him for lashing out, nor do I think he was targeting me as a person with a little job. Even further, I am not even sure why I need Sammy to think I am a big boy with a big important job, who really cares?

Edited by What a Tuel

By how Instagram works, it's entirely clear he was ONLY referring to people who attacked him on Instagram. It's not really a public forum. You have to "follow him" or look for him intentionally and his posts in order to see them, unless someone else you are following "likes" his post or pic and it shows up in your feed because they liked it.

Literally the only thing he said that could be taken as an attack was "get a life, go to work, stop worrying about my job because I'm good on this end and forever will be losers, most of you just wish to be in this position so continue working y'all little jobs for the rest of y'all lives"

This was a 22 year old's response to hurt the people that were hurting him. It was not a social commentary on the working class. Only the internet would interpret it as such. I don't believe his parents think he was targeting them and their jobs either. I think they were probably upset with him lashing out, but beyond that, they know Sammy more than any one of us, and probably understand better than you or me that it was a defensive mechanism, not commentary on the working class.

It is clear what he meant was to insult the people insulting him. He clearly chooses the people harassing them as his subject and consistently targets them. Obviously the masses would interpret it as an attack on them because they can't make that distinction on their own. That is why it was wrong of him to do it, but I do not blame him for lashing out, nor do I think he was targeting me as a person with a little job. Even further, I am not even sure why I need Sammy to think I am a big boy with a big important job, who really cares?

It most certainly was not. And "dehumanizing" these fans as a previous poster said, is a pretty liberal use of the term. When I think of dehumanization, I think of war or poverty, not a stupid Instagram post.

It most certainly was not. And "dehumanizing" these fans as a previous poster said, is a pretty liberal use of the term. When I think of dehumanization, I think of war or poverty, not a stupid Instagram post.

and anyone who knows the neighborhood he grew up in... Knows he isn't speaking to the masses on this. He made a mistake in what he said though as it was on social media and open to a number of interpretations ...but he has moved on... Edited by YoloinOhio

and anyone who knows the neighborhood he grew up in... Knows he isn't speaking to the masses on this. He made a mistake in what he said though as it was on social media and open to a number of interpretations ...but he has moved on...

And we need to move on.

The guy is an all-star.

We love you Sammy!!

Imo

And we need to move on.

The guy is an all-star.

We love you Sammy!!

Imo

I think a key part of moving on is not throwing everything Watkins related into this thread. As long as this thread goes there's a chance someone comes back to "little jobs" and the discussion begins again.

I also tire of these giant pot luck threads which go on forever and have 30 different talking points, but I assure you, that has nothing to do with my desire to see this thread fade into oblivion...

I have high hopes for Watkins (obviously), and it's cool to admire the nuances of his game, but when I pull up the list of leading receivers this season...he ain't on it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

69th (just below Kamar Aiken).

There are lots of guys on the list that aren't close to his level of skill and talent. Something needs to change.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I have high hopes for Watkins (obviously), and it's cool to admire the nuances of his game, but when I pull up the list of leading receivers this season...he ain't on it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

There are lots of guys on the list that aren't close to his level of talent. Something needs to change.

yup. He needs to stay on the field and be a focus for the offense.