Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

I have high hopes for Watkins (obviously), and it's cool to admire the nuances of his game, but when I pull up the list of leading receivers this season...he ain't on it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

69th (just below Kamar Aiken).

There are lots of guys on the list that aren't close to his level of talent. Something needs to change.

And I expect it will change. Various factors have contributed to this. Missed games/ practice time by Watkins. Missed time / games by Taylor. EJ Manuel at QB all have a role in this. If Watkins, Taylor, McCoy stay healthy the remainder of the season, I think the second half numbers will improve dramatically.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It most certainly was not. And "dehumanizing" these fans as a previous poster said, is a pretty liberal use of the term. When I think of dehumanization, I think of war or poverty, not a stupid Instagram post.

The shortcut to ending an argument is to simply tell someone their opinion is unimportant because they are less than you.

Hence de-humanize.

But you idiots aren't smart enough to understand this strategy! :lol:

I'm not directing this at anyone other than you idiots.......but go back to your little jobs that aren't as important as mine.

I don't know what they are but they must be little jobs if you idiots can do them.

There......I won. :thumbsup:

I would now like to apologize if I offended anyone. :flirt:

And I expect it will change. Various factors have contributed to this. Missed games/ practice time by Watkins. Missed time / games by Taylor. EJ Manuel at QB all have a role in this. If Watkins, Taylor, McCoy stay healthy the remainder of the season, I think the second half numbers will improve dramatically.

I expect improvement, but then I have expected a lot of things to get better that haven't. For about 20 years.

I'm more concerned about the people around him, than about Watkins.

Today i was watching some high lights.

Watkins looked awesome against Revis whether he got the ball or not.

we need to extend him now./jk

The more i watch the more i like. and its hilarious he and Darrelle going at it right in front on the Ref

I looked at the list more, and realized that the Browns have three guys higher on the list (20,22, 58), the Texans two (3,47), Redskins three (45, 59, 65), the Jags two (8, 18)....those teams have just as many (if not more) problems as the Bills.

It's ridiculous.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Watkins was beating Revis all game long.

Agreed and he is simply better than Revis now.

Theirs ships passed in the night last season and now Sammy should be able to take him regularly.

Unfortunately Sammy got a little anxious early in the game otherwise he'd have had some stats and the Bills might have had a couple more TD's.

The shortcut to ending an argument is to simply tell someone their opinion is unimportant because they are less than you.

Hence de-humanize.

But you idiots aren't smart enough to understand this strategy! :lol:

I'm not directing this at anyone other than you idiots.......but go back to your little jobs that aren't as important as mine.

I don't know what they are but they must be little jobs if you idiots can do them.

There......I won. :thumbsup:

I would now like to apologize if I offended anyone. :flirt:

....I think you just proved my point. I don't think that anyone not involved in this conversation would think you were calling them an idiot or talking about their job......

Also it wasn't an argument. It was harassment by idiots who have nothing better to do than to comment on his facebook or whatever harassing him.

I looked at the list more, and realized that the Browns have three guys higher on the list (20,22, 58), the Texans two (3,47), Redskins three (45, 59, 65), the Jags two (8, 18)....those teams have just as many (if not more) problems as the Bills.

It's ridiculous.

I understand you aren't thrashing Sammy, but the guy missed 4.5 games out of 9. Comparing him to that kind of list is kind of useless, unless you have a low tolerance for his injuries.

Edited by What a Tuel

....I think you just proved my point. I don't think that anyone not involved in this conversation would think you were calling them an idiot or talking about their job......

Also it wasn't an argument. It was harassment by idiots who have nothing better to do than to comment on his facebook or whatever harassing him.

I understand you aren't thrashing Sammy, but the guy missed 4.5 games out of 9. Comparing him to that kind of list is kind of useless, unless you have a low tolerance for his injuries.

I have some tolerance for injuries, but not when he also has a game with zeros for a stat line. I'm a fan of Watkins, but there are some problems, and I'm not convinced that they are easily solved.

I guess I'm just not that into gloating about his footwork, and clowning Revis while Watkins is sitting below Kamar Aiken on the achievement list.

I have some tolerance for injuries, but not when he also has a game with zeros for a stat line. I'm a fan of Watkins, but there are some problems, and I'm not convinced that they are easily solved.

I guess I'm just not that into gloating about his footwork, and clowning Revis while Watkins is sitting below Kamar Aiken on the achievement list.

SWs job is to get open and catch what is thrown to him. It's useless to compare to other teams as everything else involved is out of his control. That's everything from QB to OC to whatever. Do I want to see zeros on SWs stat line? No. Did he do his job and the Bills beat the Colts? Yes. Just too many other variables. He's starting to get targets, so I feel pretty confident his numbers will go up. We've seen what he can do when he's featured in a gameplan like vs MIA. That should continue if the Bills offensive staff is competent.

SWs job is to get open and catch what is thrown to him. It's useless to compare to other teams as everything else involved is out of his control. That's everything from QB to OC to whatever. Do I want to see zeros on SWs stat line? No. Did he do his job and the Bills beat the Colts? Yes. Just too many other variables. He's starting to get targets, so I feel pretty confident his numbers will go up. We've seen what he can do when he's featured in a gameplan like vs MIA. That should continue if the Bills offensive staff is competent.

What if they aren't?

I thought I made clear that I am a fan of his, but so far the sum total of the HC, OC, game plans, QB's, and Watkins, is not a lot of production, and a 5-4 record (and not being on the field still counts).

The many of the guys ahead of him on the list play for some real dysfunctional teams. Like, they have Johnny Football, and Josh McLown passing to them.

I am as ready for the big change as you, but until it happens I ain't gonna get giddy about his footwork.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Playing for very dysfunctional teams could mean they are often behind, therefore facing soft zones and padding stats in pass happy mode. That's just one example. The eye test says Watkins is doing his job and getting open. I don't know if I'd be giddy over his moves either , but it sure does show the talent. So I'm not going to worry about a part of the Bills that appears to be working well. I'll focus on those other issues like Offensive coaching, QB play etc. I'm not so sure about those yet.

Was that first pass catchable if he didn't jump too soon?

Just pulled it up and watched again. Maybe. It's hard to say. If he kept running under it I think it would've put him right in front of Revis but you never know. These camera angles are tricky, and what looks close or fingertips away could look a lot different from a different angle.

Yes, yes he was.

But he also bobbled and missed at least two catches he should have made - one of them shocked the announcers, and the other one would have been picked if the Jets were more heads-up

I think he was nervous or jittery for some reason. Maybe it was because of Revis. Who knows, definitely seemed a little jumpy though.

What if they aren't?

I thought I made clear that I am a fan of his, but so far the sum total of the HC, OC, game plans, QB's, and Watkins, is not a lot of production, and a 5-4 record (and not being on the field still counts).

The many of the guys ahead of him on the list play for some real dysfunctional teams. Like, they have Johnny Football passing to them.

I am as ready for the big change as you, but until it happens I ain't gonna get giddy about his footwork.

So, you're just going to complain to complain. Got it.

What other conclusion can we draw? You are upset about stats, but you aren't willing to entertain the idea he's been injured and not on the field as much as most of the folks who are above him statistically; you aren't able to see the positives in Sammy dominating a HOF CB in our division because he didn't have a big enough stat line which ignores the impact Sammy had on the game. He made huge impact plays during a must win Jets game -- but you just want to complain about.... What exactly?

Yes, yes he was.

But he also bobbled and missed at least two catches he should have made - one of them shocked the announcers, and the other one would have been picked if the Jets were more heads-up

Not too concerned about the pretty uncharacteristic drops the other night. If it continues then it could become an issue. It wasn't SWs best night. Id day a couple drops were on him and a couple incompletions were just not catchable due to QB or OL forcing off timing throws. Overall I wasn't expecting a huge day due to Revis and Jets DL. SW won his share of the matchup, I think that bodes well for the rematch.

Just pulled it up and watched again. Maybe. It's hard to say. If he kept running under it I think it would've put him right in front of Revis but you never know. These camera angles are tricky, and what looks close or fingertips away could look a lot different from a different angle.

That was pretty much my assessment, too.

So, you're just going to complain to complain. Got it.

What other conclusion can we draw? You are upset about stats, but you aren't willing to entertain the idea he's been injured and not on the field as much as most of the folks who are above him statistically; you aren't able to see the positives in Sammy dominating a HOF CB in our division because he didn't have a big enough stat line which ignores the impact Sammy had on the game. He made huge impact plays during a must win Jets game -- but you just want to complain about.... What exactly?

That he is both overrated, and not being used properly, and that possibly he is going to waste with this coaching staff.

Is a team message board the wrong place for opinions about the team?

I believe there are enough "variables" to keep him out of the top 20. I can be convinced that there are enough variables to keep him out of the top 40. But he is not even in the top 60.

Does anyone here think he would be in the top 20 if he played for the Browns? Would he be having Travis Benjamin's season, or better? I don't think he would be doing any better.

He is not having enough impact, and none of the counter arguments are convincing. They sound like apologists.

Edited by HoF Watkins