Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

and for the last time, he criticized those people for their blue collar jobs. that was the substance of his insult. it wasn't that they were stupid or ugly or weak or uncoordinated. it was that they were in loser, low level jobs and at lowly societal levels. perhaps you could make an argument that he didn't realize that his words would convey this meaning but I doubt it's true. I think that's exactly what he meant.

Your going to take it how you want to take it so conversation to the contrary is moot.

He was not directing his comments AT YOU unless you are one of the classless morons that saw fit to put twitter comments about him and his family being at Disneyland

Once again.....your not going to be convinced of this so........

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. I bet that's what he intended. it's really insulting to point out that someone is lower profile than an nfl player. I know i'd be offended!

Well, unless your job requires you to be on TV and makes you a global star, your job is lower profile than that of an NFL player.

I mean, I love my job, but it's NOT higher profile than an NFL player.

When I broke my ankle last year (or ribs the year before - yes, I know, I'm injury prone) no one on my social media channels was giving me crap for being on crutches and limping to meetings.

Again, who knows what he meant, I just don't think he was purposefully trying to insult all the workers of Buffalo...

And regardless, fun little debate today - helped keep me distracted from this job I just said I love so much :D :D :beer:

Edited by Heitz

I dont know how bad his injury to his calf was and most of us never will. I think Sammy is at a point where he wont play through an injury. Then he comes back and sprains his ankle on a plant where he has to come back. The calf and ankle injuries were very low trauma events. Many perceive he is injury prone (brittle) or doesnt really care. Yeah I know he played with ribs last year. Like I have said most players at this point are playing through injuries its just how it is in contact sports. TT was going to play with an MCL sprain.

Once again....the doctors decide whether these players can or cannot play just like they did with Tyrod Taylor. It has nothing to do with whether he mans up and plays with an injury. The team goes with the doctors opinion.

So saying to all of you blue collar workers who steal from your boss is an insult to all blue collar workers?

Do you even know how Instagram works? People went to Sammys account, or they follow him intentionally, saw he had a pic of his kid at Disneyland on his personal account and made a direct post to him, like a text or instant message, abusing him for being injured. He posted back TO THOSE PEOPLE AND ONLY THOSE PEOPLE to all of you who posted. Not people who didn't post.

I hate that I'm agreeing with birddog here, but here it goes:

Suppose someone replied to Sammy Watkins' tweet by say: "Shut-up you (n-word)."

That tweet wouldn't have been directed at, say Mario Williams, Doug Whaley, or Tyrod Taylor; but they would certainly be more than justified in taking offense, because that comment would have been, directed at them or not, demeaning to them.

Sammy Watkins demeaned an entire group of individuals.

I dont know how bad his injury to his calf was and most of us never will. I think Sammy is at a point where he wont play through an injury. Then he comes back and sprains his ankle on a plant where he has to come back. The calf and ankle injuries were very low trauma events. Many perceive he is injury prone (brittle) or doesnt really care. Yeah I know he played with ribs last year. Like I have said most players at this point are playing through injuries its just how it is in contact sports. TT was going to play with an MCL sprain.

Um, "I dont know how bad his injury to his calf was and most of us never will"

and then "The calf and ankle injuries were very low trauma events. ". Which is it? Are you psychic, his doctor, or do you just not like the guy? He said nothing about YOU. He replied to the idiots on Instagram that talked smack to them, and told them to go back to their "little jobs". I got news for you, little doesn't mean blue. He could be talking to bank tellers, state senators, advertising creative staff. You know, not blue collar. You seem more insecure than he is insulting.

Edited by Tenhigh

Well, unless your job requires you to be on TV and makes you a global star, your job is lower profile than that of an NFL player.

I mean, I love my job, but it's NOT higher profile than an NFL player.

When I broke my ankle last year (or ribs the year before - yes, I know, I'm injury prone) no one on my social media channels was giving me crap for being on crutches and limping to meetings.

Again, who knows what he meant, I just don't think he was purposefully trying to insult all the workers of Buffalo...

And regardless, fun little debate today - helped keep me distracted from this job I just said I love so much :D :D :beer:

oh boy...

But c'mon, the fact we all learned about this, and given the basics of social media these days, this sort of stuff gets out and is broadly disseminated.

Yeah, but at some point don't people get sick of looking for something to be outraged by? A comment someone makes in a reply on their own personal account is the modern equivalent of an overheard comment in a bar and doesn't merit much of a reaction. I can't be the only one sick of seeing people combing through other people's online activity to hold them up to public shaming.

I'm offended for buffalo fans that meet the description that Watkins disparaged.

Exactly my sentiments. I don't fit the profile but I find it offensive. I am sure he didn't mean to take a shot at all Buffalo fans who are blue collar workers. But he inadvertently did like so many others who aren't sensitive to the realities of social media.

This is just my opinion but fans really need to stop getting on these players for their spelling and grammar. If you spend any time on social media you would know that the vast majority of all tweets and Instagram posts and other stuff like that the OP cares nothing about spelling and grammar and punctuation. Even the smartest people around. A lot of people don't use punctuation on Twitter precisely because it's on Twitter and you only get a finite number of characters. I'm a writer by trade and it drives me nuts if I have one typo in a 120 page document, but when I use Twitter or even here I never check spelling and often never use correct grammar and never double check what I type. It's the way the world works. Certain things, including anything professional, grammar and spelling is an absolute imperative. Twitter and Instagram and texts and the like it's entirely acceptable to ignore those things to most people using them.

what he types in style and alliteration was so poor it does not matter his grammar or spelling. It was just sad and weak. Dude needs to man up and grow a pair of balls

I hate that I'm agreeing with birddog here, but here it goes:

Suppose someone replied to Sammy Watkins' tweet by say: "Shut-up you (n-word)."

That tweet wouldn't have been directed at, say Mario Williams, Doug Whaley, or Tyrod Taylor; but they would certainly be more than justified in taking offense, because that comment would have been, directed at them or not, demeaning to them.

Sammy Watkins demeaned an entire group of individuals.

Because that word alone is offensive to everyone. He could be saying "I love you, you n---" and people would be offended by it. Not the same thing at all. The words blue collar are not offensive. He didn't even use those words. I am rather perplexed that so many people do not see there is a difference. When someone says "Bills fans suck" he is not demeaning all fans, he's demeaning the subset that he directly addressed.

Um, "I dont know how bad his injury to his calf was and most of us never will"

and then "The calf and ankle injuries were very low trauma events. ". Which is it? Are you psychic, his doctor, or do you just not like the guy? He said nothing about YOU. He replied to the idiots on Instagram that talked smack to them, and told them to go back to their "little jobs". I got news for you, little doesn't mean blue. He could be talking to bank tellers, state senators, advertising creative staff. You know, not blue collar. You seem more insecure than he is insulting.

When his injuries happened they were very routine ---not like someone landed on it. Thats what I was referring to. I should of been more clear. As for insecure not hardly. As for him I dont dislike him heck I dont know the dude but I have grown intolerant of him. Thats a big difference. I think in the big picture of things the board is very divided and thats ok. Its what this board does and makes it interesting. Some view his comments as insults and some could care less. I will add -and I dont do twitter or instagram but my view is the sites are very public so I do view it as an insult with regards to his comments. Edited by billsfan_34

Yeah, but at some point don't people get sick of looking for something to be outraged by? A comment someone makes in a reply on their own personal account is the modern equivalent of an overheard comment in a bar and doesn't merit much of a reaction. I can't be the only one sick of seeing people combing through other people's online activity to hold them up to public shaming.

Keep in mind I'm only a slightly annoyed. I don't spend a lot of time on social media. Just wanted to articulate my views clearly on this issue.

Because that word alone is offensive to everyone. He could be saying "I love you, you n---" and people would be offended by it. Not the same thing at all. The words blue collar are not offensive. He didn't even use those words. I am rather perplexed that so many people do not see there is a difference. When someone says "Bills fans suck" he is not demeaning all fans, he's demeaning the subset that he directly addressed.

It's not only the words that are offensive, but the intent behind them.

He belittled people, and demonstrated that he thought less of them because of their jobs.

So when the people he directly addressed go to work tomorrow, and work side by side with people Watkins didn't directly address, he's still stated that those other people's jobs are beneath him as well.

He belittled people, and demonstrated that he thought less of them because of their jobs.

So when the people he directly addressed go to work tomorrow, and work side by side with people Watkins didn't directly address, he's still stated that those other people's jobs are beneath him as well.

I have no idea why he had to throw peoples jobs into the equation.....I was looking for past tweets were maybe someone had said "when I get hurt Im still expected to go to work" or something like that.......

I couldnt find one.

All I can do is laugh. Its fascinates me to no end how people insult behind an electronic device. I really do find it hilarious after I have been in multiple combat zones, disabled, ptsd, and I somehow am managing to complete my BSN in May. And I managed to land a nice job in the process. If thats insecure bravo zulu to you.

It was not his finest moment. And I see what you are saying. But IMO he really wasn't doing that. He was saying anyone who stooped so low as to call me out for not playing hurt is a loser, and has no idea what they are talking about or the pain that NFL football players have to endure, and anyone who is doing this is likely a lowlife, and let me see you do what I do for ten minutes. You don't take a beating at your crappy job. That's what he was saying.

Not that he was better than them. But that they don't have to get their head beat in and their body abused.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

oh boy...

Sure I work with globally known athletes, and I'm even on TV every now and then (in the background, as a spectator), but, sad to say, I'm not as high profile as Sammy.

Just using Instagram followers as a metric - where I have 450 Instagram followers, Sammy has 319,000.

Maybe I think my job is more fun than an NFL player, maybe I think it's better for society, but one thing it is not, is higher profile. Doesn't necessarily make it "little" either (and again, my whole argument here is pure speculation on what he might have possible meant).

I just don't think he meant "being an NFL player is the BEST JOB THERE IS" and all other jobs are for losers, just that expectations are different.

and for the last time, he criticized those people for their blue collar jobs. that was the substance of his insult. it wasn't that they were stupid or ugly or weak or uncoordinated. it was that they were in loser, low level jobs and at lowly societal levels. perhaps you could make an argument that he didn't realize that his words would convey this meaning but I doubt it's true. I think that's exactly what he meant.

reading it that way, i would be pissed too!

I just dont find as harshly intended as it harshly perceived.

If he was insulting blue collar, alot of these Bills players would be in his face. there are plenty of NFL players who were raised up hard. and they are on the Roster

i dont think he meant exactly that though. came off bad for sure

It was not his finest moment. And I see what you are saying. But IMO he really wasn't doing that. He was saying anyone who stooped so low as to call me out for not playing hurt is a loser, and has no idea what they are talking about or the pain that NFL football players have to endure, and anyone who is doing this is likely a lowlife, and let me see you do what I do for ten minutes. You don't take a beating at your crappy job. That's what he was saying.

No, that's what you're saying.

Watkins used much different words.

Sure I work with globally known athletes, and I'm even on TV every now and then (in the background, as a spectator), but, sad to say, I'm not as high profile as Sammy.

Just using Instagram followers as a metric - where I have 450 Instagram followers, Sammy has 319,000.

Maybe I think my job is more fun than an NFL player, maybe I think it's better for society, but one thing it is not, is higher profile. Doesn't necessarily make it "little" either (and again, my whole argument here is pure speculation on what he might have possible meant).

I just don't think he meant "being an NFL player is the BEST JOB THERE IS" and all other jobs are for losers, just that expectations are different.

then you should understand how much more difficult it is to resurrect your image than it is to initially build it.

You are insecure.

All I can do is laugh. Its fascinates me to no end how people insult behind an electronic device. I really do find it hilarious after I have been in multiple combat zones, disabled, ptsd, and I somehow am managing to complete my BSN in May. And I managed to land a nice job in the process. If thats insecure bravo zulu to you.

tenhigh has an odd sense of humour. trust me and dont take offense.

no one really dis respects anyone. we get along like any other dysfunctional Family. just multiplied many times over.

Ummm... Because that is what he specifically said?

Here is a little reminder to go by that may help you... For example, when someone starts an Instagram post with, "To all you black people..." he is not addressing white people.

I hate to pile on because I think this has gotten bigger than it should have, but if you said "to all the black people talking ****, <insert derogatory black stereotype>" do you think the black people who weren't talking **** would be cool with it?

Edit: I see Tasker beat me to it.

Edited by Rob's House

He's 22 years old, under enormous pressure, is a bit immature and frustrated by injuries and lack of targets. He should stay off social media, but people do say some harsh and way over the top things to professional athletes. IGNORE THEM SAMMY! They don't speak for the majority and try to goat a response. Regardless of the millions these guys make, they are human and young. Not condoning what Sammy said, but I give the guy a pass and it's unfortunate their are so many ignorant people in this world.

I hate to pile on because I think this has gotten bigger than it should have, but if you said "to all the black people talking ****, <insert derogatory black stereotype>" do you think the black people who weren't talking **** would be cool with it?

That might be a separate discussion.

and be carefull. its nothing like that. dont confuse the issue. its already convoluted enough

He's 22 years old, under enormous pressure, is a bit immature and frustrated by injuries and lack of targets. He should stay off social media, but people do say some harsh and way over the top things to professional athletes. IGNORE THEM SAMMY! They don't speak for the majority and try to goat a response. Regardless of the millions these guys make, they are human and young. Not condoning what Sammy said, but I give the guy a pass and it's unfortunate their are so many ignorant people in this world.

Great Post. Goat of a response, I like that.

That advice would translate well here also.

Imo

His intent, at this point, is irrelevant. If he is unable to coherently convey his thoughts in the written form then perhaps he should stay away from social media. Otherwise, be prepared for the sh*tstorm.

These guys will never learn. You can not win a fight with the fans. You come off looking like a giant bag of water squirted up a vagina every time. Just stay away from it.

I totally got that and I agree with you. I object to to the idea (and this is not directed at you at all) that all these fans would love to trade places with these athletes. People here and everywhere say it all the time. These athletes get paid millions to play a game. They should consider themselves lucky. I would love to be able to do that for that money. When they wouldn't do it for that money at all. One day doing his job and they would be in the hospital and crying and begging to go back to their schitty job for schitty pay.

I have a little job and would not trade with Sammy. I make far less. But I need far less. I also schedule my own day.

Edited by jeffismagic

Looking past the horrendous lack of grammar what he said was stupid. I can understand he's frusterated but he handled it in the worst possible way. Instead of just telling people he's trying to get Healthy, wants to win, doesnt like sitting out either and get off his back, he has to take shots at the very people who allow him to get paid millions of dollars to run and catch a football. By degrading the fans and their careers it comes off as classless and out of touch. It just stinks of being another arrogant athlete who feels entitled. I lost A LOT of respect for Sammy.

So some idiots who made dumb remarks on his Instagram are the very people who allow him to do what he does for a living? That seems like a tremendous stretch. Why defend obnoxious morons with nothing better to do than rag on him?

if you read the last "sentence" or two he uses the wrong words entirely, not typos or spell check, he says "once" in place of "wants" "go one" instead of "go on" not to mention he says we all have "little jobs" so i guess only jobs like actor singer or ball catcher are real big jobs. People like soldiers teachers scientists and doctors have little jobs.

F softy sammy, i called him out since week 3 last year as a soft player, now i see his mind is just as soft as his body.

So some idiots who made dumb remarks on his Instagram are the very people who allow him to do what he does for a living? That seems like a tremendous stretch. Why defend obnoxious morons with nothing better to do than rag on him?

Yeah, the fans are idiots.Watkins is a mental midget who can't even put a sentence together.

if you read the last "sentence" or two he uses the wrong words entirely, not typos or spell check, he says "once" in place of "wants" "go one" instead of "go on" not to mention he says we all have "little jobs" so i guess only jobs like actor singer or ball catcher are real big jobs. People like soldiers teachers scientists and doctors have little jobs.

F softy sammy, i called him out since week 3 last year as a soft player, now i see his mind is just as soft as his body.

" We all" ? I don't think he said that. Why are you lumping yourself in with jerks that made stupid comments to him? Could you see yourself doing the same thing?