What the Models Predict for the Rest of the Season

CodeMonkey

The Bills are off this week (thank God). But here is what the models are saying about the rest of the season.

FiveThirtyEight (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2015-nfl-predictions/) predicts a 7-9 record for the Bills this season with a 17% (down from 29%) chance of making the playoffs and a less than 1% (down from 1%) chance of winning it all.

Amos (http://trevorbischoff.com/nfl-2015-week-8-predictions/) predicts a record of 8-8 for the Bills this season.

SportsClubStats (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL/AFC/AFCEast/Buffalo.html) predicts a record of 7-9 for the Bills this season with a 17.7% (down from 27.4%) chance of making the playoffs.

The Senator Model: 16 and 4 baby ...

How the models are doing for the season so far:

post-11748-0-77132600-1446308596_thumb.png

Edited by CodeMonkey

The Bills are off this week (thank God). But here is what the models are saying about the rest of the season.

FiveThirtyEight (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2015-nfl-predictions/) predicts a 7-9 record for the Bills this season with a 17% (down from 29%) chance of making the playoffs and a less than 1% (down from 1%) chance of winning it all.

Amos (http://trevorbischoff.com/nfl-2015-week-8-predictions/) No Data Yet.

SportsClubStats (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL/AFC/AFCEast/Buffalo.html) predicts a record of 7-9 for the Bills this season with a 17.7% (down from 27.4%) chance of making the playoffs.

Seems wildly optimistic. 538 gives us probability of beating Miami, Houston, Washington, Dallas (!), and the finale against the Jets. Lets work backwards.... the last game, against the Jets.

• I can see the Jets contending for a wildcard spot, and us playing for the difference between 6-10 and 7-9. Although familiar territory for the Bills, I can't imagine the Jets rolling over and the Bills showing up for that.
  • Dallas? That's just crazy talk and why statistical models don't always reflect reality. Dallas will run for 500 yards against the Bills, Romo or no Romo.
  • Washington? They're inconsistent but seem to play hard each week, at least in the bits I've seen, so I guess that's probably our best chance for a win.
  • Houston - maybe? Watt can pretty much single handedly own the Bills O-Line. Maybe he'll be out for that game and the Bills can win on a last second field goal
  • Miami - ha fat chance. Miami has gone from a laughing stock softie team to a contender seemingly overnight. Amazing what a hard nose coach can do. Too bad we're stuck with the Big Dumb Face at HC

Even if the Bills beat Washington and Houston, we're looking at 5-11, lol what a year

Seems wildly optimistic. 538 gives us probability of beating Miami, Houston, Washington, Dallas (!), and the finale against the Jets. Lets work backwards.... the last game, against the Jets.

• I can see the Jets contending for a wildcard spot, and us playing for the difference between 6-10 and 7-9. Although familiar territory for the Bills, I can't imagine the Jets rolling over and the Bills showing up for that.
  • Dallas? That's just crazy talk and why statistical models don't always reflect reality. Dallas will run for 500 yards against the Bills, Romo or no Romo.
  • Washington? They're inconsistent but seem to play hard each week, at least in the bits I've seen, so I guess that's probably our best chance for a win.
  • Houston - maybe? Watt can pretty much single handedly own the Bills O-Line. Maybe he'll be out for that game and the Bills can win on a last second field goal
  • Miami - ha fat chance. Miami has gone from a laughing stock softie team to a contender seemingly overnight. Amazing what a hard nose coach can do. Too bad we're stuck with the Big Dumb Face at HC

Even if the Bills beat Washington and Houston, we're looking at 5-11, lol what a year

Models by their very nature are a slave to the data they are given and slow to react to a big change. For example, the last few games for Dallas were without Romo. Therefore the offensive numbers were lacking. The models don't know Romo was out, they just see the lower level of performance.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Models by their very nature are a slave to the data they are given and slow to react to a big change. For example, the last few games for Dallas were without Romo. Therefore the offensive number were lacking. The models don't know Romo was out, they just see the poor performance.

yeah that's what I'm saying. I think it's safe to remove Dallas from the potential win category. This team does not have what it takes to beat a playoff team, and I absolutely defy anyone to say otherwise

yeah that's what I'm saying. I think it's safe to remove Dallas from the potential win category. This team does not have what it takes to beat a playoff team, and I absolutely defy anyone to say otherwise

There are many here that will say otherwise. Just scan some of the other threads. For example, there are some in the weekly "the refs cost us the game" thread that blame the loss solely (it seems anyway) on the one bad PI call near the end of the game. Some just gotta Billieve:)

There are many here that will say otherwise. Just scan some of the other threads. For example, there are some in the weekly "the refs cost us the game" thread that blame the loss solely (it seems anyway) on the one bad PI call near the end of the game. Some just gotta Billieve:)

Right, I'm reading the other thread where Lunatic P. Crazy is suggesting that we start EJ against Miami because it'll be way different this time. I'm all for collective delusion (I'm Buffalo through and through) but enough is enough. We're turning into the Anabaptists at Munster.

well, would they be favorites against dallas? maybe, maybe not - long way away.

is it impossible for this team to beat any team? thats silly talk.

The Bills will finish the season with an 8-1 record (no doubt at least 7-2).

This bye comes at the perfect time to reset this team's collective head straight and for everyone to get healthy again. I just don't buy into all of the doomed and negative stuff this time around. I see the first part of the season as them getting all of the bad stuff out of their system before they hit their stride and become the playoff bound team we all thought they were going to be.

They won that Jags game and the refs screwed them out of it. I'm already done hearing about how much EJ sucks or how bad Rex is or Whaley or the defense. They won that game. They will have two whole weeks to stew over it and take out their anger on their division opponents coming up on the schedule. This team showed me they have fight in them.

The models are built off history. The Bills recent history includes a new coaching staffing that's still adapting and a ton of injuries.

So here are the events I hope make the models wrong...

* Rex figure out how to maximize the productivity of the D by adapting the scheme to better fit the talents of the players.

* We get healthy.

* TT develops into a Top Ten QB.

* With Kromer back, the OL starts to gel.

This bye comes at the perfect time to reset this team's collective head straight and for everyone to get healthy again. I just don't buy into all of the doomed and negative stuff this time around. I see the first part of the season as them getting all of the bad stuff out of their system before they hit their stride and become the playoff bound team we all thought they were going to be.

They won that Jags game and the refs screwed them out of it. I'm already done hearing about how much EJ sucks or how bad Rex is or Whaley or the defense. They won that game. They will have two whole weeks to stew over it and take out their anger on their division opponents coming up on the schedule. This team showed me they have fight in them.

Are you for real?

Disagree with you. We're built to play with anybody. We haven't been healthy, and have dug ourselves into some early holes. We have a bye week at a pretty good time. Time to get healthy, and start correcting the errors.

Not saying were going to win out or anything, but i don't see why the bills can't hover around .500. The difference between 7-9 and 9-7 isnt THAT big.

Edited by dneveu

Right, I'm reading the other thread where Lunatic P. Crazy is suggesting that we start EJ against Miami because it'll be way different this time. I'm all for collective delusion (I'm Buffalo through and through) but enough is enough. We're turning into the Anabaptists at Munster.

Holy cow! Here's a link to a wonderful Dan Carlin "Hardcore History" Podcast (for free) on this precise piece of history. Highly recommended.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

Holy cow! Here's a link to a wonderful Dan Carlin "Hardcore History" Podcast (for free) on this precise piece of history. Highly recommended.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

Yup, that's exactly where I got this from... his descriptions of the people as they slowly starved and lost their minds (perhaps because of ergotism!) sounds a lot like this place after 16 years of repeated beatings

Disagree with you. We're built to play with anybody. We haven't been healthy, and have dug ourselves into some early holes. We have a bye week at a pretty good time. Time to get healthy, and start correcting the errors.

Not saying were going to win out or anything, but i don't see why the bills can't hover around .500. The difference between 7-9 and 9-7 isnt THAT big.

this isn't training camp; the errors and penalties are a reflection of Rex as a poor HC: terrible self-discipline, playing with too much emotion/playing dumb, substandard tackling, giving up too much cushion to WRs at the LOS, giving up critical 1st down conversions on 3rd & long, terrible ST penalties, etc etc. I could go on, but you get the picture. Rex had to be called out after 6 games by his DL for his crappy scheme which has been neutering the talent of the front 4. I hate to say it but all these things may not be correctable over a bye week. It's a cultural problem which seems to be a hallmark of Rex's teams.

If I were an optimist, I would point out that with a health Tyrod, Watkins, McCoy, and Harvin, our O was pretty darn good. Why couldn't our team turn it around once heeled?

(FWIW I dont think we will turn it around, I think our main problem is our D and OL. Neither of which I see being fixed this year.)

I appreciate your support and optimistic view on the Bills. They are too banged up, disorganized (look at individual break downs) and under coached. IF everything goes right, they MIGHT go 9-7. Realistic view is 7-9.

Amos (http://trevorbischoff.com/nfl-2015-week-8-predictions/) predicts a record of 8-8 for the Bills this season.

I'd like to add... The Models predict the TSW Poster Dorquemada will be doing something better on Sunday afternoons

What in the performance of the Bills so far makes anyone believe they will win another game this season? Using the Blind Squirrel rule, I suppose they will inexplicably stumble into a win, maybe even two. But weighing the mess Rex has created against the schedule, would anyone really be surprised if they go 0-9?

How the models are doing for the season so far:

Looks about right...

This seems wildly pessimistic. They will run over us even if they don't have Romo? They haven't won a game without him and even with him they should have lost week 1.

But I will say I think we are a 7-9 to 8-8 team. May depend on when we get TT back and if we can get other key players healthy down the stretch.

What in the performance of the Bills so far makes anyone believe they will win another game this season? Using the Blind Squirrel rule, I suppose they will inexplicably stumble into a win, maybe even two. But weighing the mess Rex has created against the schedule, would anyone really be surprised if they go 0-9?

Yes I would be. I can see them being anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6. The only game I count as a sure loss is NE (unless Brady doesn't play for some unknown reason).

http://www.giselebundchen.com.br/

this isn't training camp; the errors and penalties are a reflection of Rex as a poor HC: terrible self-discipline, playing with too much emotion/playing dumb, substandard tackling, giving up too much cushion to WRs at the LOS, giving up critical 1st down conversions on 3rd & long, terrible ST penalties, etc etc. I could go on, but you get the picture. Rex had to be called out after 6 games by his DL for his crappy scheme which has been neutering the talent of the front 4. I hate to say it but all these things may not be correctable over a bye week. It's a cultural problem which seems to be a hallmark of Rex's teams.

you are probably correct there is too much to overcome. But i have to bet Bills come out swinging.

We're still 3-2 with Tyrod. Why are you expecting 0-9?