Tank the Season

The_Dude

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this mentality. What would you call the Bills since Kelly hung it up? Let's see...how about insignificant. How about a team for losers in a city of losers? That's pretty accurate.

But how about this, how about we finally do what needs to be done to fix the situation and that's draft a real QB. TT isn't the answer. He's not that accurate and he isn't taking us to the Super Bowl. I want to lose sooo bad that we finally fix this debacle and land a QB that win in a shoot out.

There. That. What is sooo difficult about that concept?

People still want to believe we can win this yr

Could be 6-0... Could be 5-1...Could be 4-2..

We could be any number of things, but we're 3-3. No more, no less.

Also, Eichel isnt exactly equalling winning...

Sabres have real hope and will be winning (6 - 0 :lol::lol::lol: )

We're not going to tank mid-season, but I imagine the idea might enter some people's minds once we miss the playoffs again this year.

The trick in tanking for a generational talent, though, is having a generational talent to take in the draft.

You tank for Andrew Luck. I don't see an Andrew Luck on the horizon.

We're not going to tank mid-season, but I imagine the idea might enter some people's minds once we miss the playoffs again this year.

The trick in tanking for a generational talent, though, is having a generational talent to take in the draft.

yeah we should have started in the offseason

Nothing grossed me out more than that "embrace the tank" horsesh#t with Sabres fans last year (one can only hope the players were actually trying out there).

And tank for WHO?

Get out of here with that noise.

We've just enough talent to win between 6-9 games every year. That continuously puts us out of reach of drafting a real QB. I've had enough. You'll never see it my way, and I'll never see it yours because I don't care about effort.

We've just enough talent to win between 6-9 games every year. That continuously puts us out of reach of drafting a real QB. I've had enough. You'll never see it my way, and I'll never see it yours because I don't care about effort.

Fair point. I care about effort, you care about tanking a whole season based not on an Andrew Luck, but on "intrigue." Good luck with that.

It seems everyone is missing the fact that our defense blows and we lose the field position battle each game. A decent defense would help. Our offense isn't the problem.

The Offense is a problem. They haven't looked effective since Miami. The D is a bigger problem as it was expected to be the strength. We knew the Bills had questions at QB , a huge problem but it was known.

You gotta be kidding me?

Statistically, Tyrod is the 7th best QB in the league (for the 5 weeks he played), so no, I'm not kidding you. Thanks for asking for clarification though, it's clear you needed some help on the issue.

Edit: Depending which you like more: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb or https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/14/top-10-nfl-quarterbacks-entering-week-6/

At worst he's #11 (basically top ten) or he's top 5. Ya'll saying we need a QB need to sit down and lay off the crack. Or the White Russians in your case.

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Statistically, Tyrod is the 7th best QB in the league (for the 5 weeks he played), so no, I'm not kidding you. Thanks for asking for clarification though, it's clear you needed some help on the issue.

Edit: Depending which you like more: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb or https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/14/top-10-nfl-quarterbacks-entering-week-6/

At worst he's #11 (basically top ten) or he's top 5. Ya'll saying we need a QB need to sit down and lay off the crack. Or the White Russians in your case.

Hell, people saying Manuel was the problem today need to lay off the crack.

Seriously...if you'd told me before the game that he was going to have a 67% completion rate, throw for 250 yards and a TD, run in another TD, and throw only one interception, I'd be thinking "We should win that game." Aaron Rodgers couldn't have won that suck-fest this afternoon.

I don't know why some of you are impressed with TT. He's fast. He can run. But im not impressed with his ability to get it out on time, or his accuracy.

Not a big difference between the two. Taylor is just the new shiny toy and can run. Its intriguing. But it will be a short lived obsession

That's a product of our offense going three and out.

yes/ no they really are not woundtight enough yet

Not a big difference between the two. Taylor is just the new shiny toy and can run. Its intriguing. But it will be a short lived obsession

I find the two QBs complimentary. lets get them both in the game!

Edited by 3rdand12

The tank idea made some sense ... before last year, before the trade for Sammy, before the big contracts to McCoy, Hughes, Dareus ... Pegula, Whaley & Co. decided instead that they'd go all in for 2015. It's simply too late to go the tank route now. As for Tyrod and EJ: there's a reason Whaley spoke about "quarterback purgatory" in the preseason. He knows this team is good enough to go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 ... maybe 10-6 if a lot of things fall into place. None of that will get you the next Andrew Luck or even the next Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota (not that any reasonable facsimile of those guys is even coming out in 2016). So that's where we are: Quarterback Purgatory, which is really Purgatory in General. I'm still a fan, still looking forward to the weaker part of the schedule, still seeing some good things happen both in Buffalo and elsewhere (the Chiefs, Chargers, Ravens, Dolphins have all had the good sense to start far more poorly than us, putting us in pretty solid wild card contention). But Rex is no Moses taking us to the promised land. More like the dance around the golden fetish foot.

Fair point. I care about effort, you care about tanking a whole season based not on an Andrew Luck, but on "intrigue." Good luck with that.

The funny thing is that in just the last 15 years, we have had a number of seasons that effectively were "tanking" seasons.

By that I mean we were horrible, didn't win many games, and knew we would not be making the playoffs early in the season.

It's just that we weren't smart enough to go all the way and lose that extra few games to tank properly and pick #1 overall.

2010 is a great example. We were 4-12.

What is the difference between 4-12 and 0-16 you ask?

We'd have Cam Newton as our QB now, which would be a substantial upgrade over the current situation.

Our 4-12 season was good enough to fetch Marcel Dareus of course, but I'd rather have Newton, and I'm not much of a Newton fan!

I always get a kick out of the quantafiable comebacks. What we are is a team that aint makin the playoffs---AGAIN

I always get a kick out of the quantafiable comebacks. What we are is a team that aint makin the playoffs---AGAIN

As for the value of tanking in other sports, may I refer you to: Cubs, Chicago; Astros, Houston.

The funny thing is that in just the last 15 years, we have had a number of seasons that effectively were "tanking" seasons.

By that I mean we were horrible, didn't win many games, and knew we would not be making the playoffs early in the season.

It's just that we weren't smart enough to go all the way and lose that extra few games to tank properly and pick #1 overall.

2010 is a great example. We were 4-12.

What is the difference between 4-12 and 0-16 you ask?

We'd have Cam Newton as our QB now, which would be a substantial upgrade over the current situation.

Our 4-12 season was good enough to fetch Marcel Dareus of course, but I'd rather have Newton, and I'm not much of a Newton fan!

Of course , the Bills could have drafted Andy Dalton ( the guy that kicked their ass today) without tanking. Newton would have been nice , but Dalton was available .

In part it is. But when the D gets put on the field by the O it is the D's responsibility to get off the field which they have not been able to do.

Tank. We're not a playoff team. We DONT have a QB. It's time to do what the Sabres did and go find our Eichel.

There are several intriguing QB prospects this year and I say tank and trade whatever you have to trade, to include Dareus if need be, to end this crap. We can't compete without a QB.

Loser mentality.

Giving up a 90 yard drive to start the 2nd half after we scored to end the first half is a product our offense going 3 and out? Also, ST is partly to blame for the field position.

Edited by Talley56

Giving up a 90 yard drive to start the 2nd half after we scored to end the first half is a product our offense going 3 and out? Also, ST is partly to blame for the field position.

ST is Totally to blame. They were atrocious. and when we make the good tackle we get a correctly called, taunting penalty.

They do complement each other. Very well. If this were college they would be used in a tandem

If only....

From this thread I've learned:

1- Tanking is for losers...so I guess perpetual 7-9ish seasons are the opposite of being a "loser."

2- Tyrod Taylor is a legit top 10 QB. I think Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Rothlisberger, Rivers, Flacco, Ryan, Luck, Cutler, Wilson, and the Mannings would find that interesting. But we've got ourselves a top 10 QB!

3- Rex is a horrible coach and this is all his fault.

Got it! When the rest of you start talking which QB we should draft in a month or so I'll be interested to hear your takes.

I don't know why some of you are impressed with TT. He's fast. He can run. But im not impressed with his ability to get it out on time, or his accuracy.

Well...He's had 4 NFL starts...4...A game and a half without Sammy...A game without BOTH top RB's...Behind an average O-line...

He's completed 70% of his passes...9 TD's to 4 INT's...187 yards rushing with two additional TD's...Plus he's had a passing and a rushing TD called back on VERY questionable penalties...He's 6th in the league in QB rating, 11th in total QBR, and 8th in yards per attempt...

Compared to what we've had here over the past...well whatever...I think he's done pretty damned good...And common sense says he'll improve simply because he's played SO little... B-)

1- Tanking is for losers...so I guess perpetual 7-9ish seasons are the opposite of being a "loser."

2- Tyrod Taylor is a legit top 10 QB. I think Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Rothlisberger, Rivers, Flacco, Ryan, Luck, Cutler, Wilson, and the Mannings would find that interesting. But we've got ourselves a top 10 QB!

Got it! When the rest of you start talking which QB we should draft in a month or so I'll be interested to hear your takes.

Really. a Top 10 QB. What Bills games have you been watching? If you believe that, I have some land in the 9th Ward in New Orleans that I would like to sell you! There is a reason Taylor was let go by the Ravens. Yes. He is a great athlete and makes exciting plays, but he is turning out to be exactly what I thought he would be, an exciting athlete who cannot consistently move the offense, throw out of the pocket or stay on the field. Yes. He can run. Yes, he can throw on the run and make some touch passes, but he is a poor man's Michael Vick and will kill you with his inconsistency and time off the field being injured. To me, it is one step forward, and one step back. That's all he will ever be. So, if your goal is to be an average team, Taylor is your guy. He is too small to throw consistently from the pocket and will continue to tease fans with his great runs like in the Tennessee game and, while we won that game, we only scored 14 points with a bad overall offensive effort. That's the dilemma facing this team. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to draft a bona fide QB prospect. Throw in Rex Ryan's bad coaching, especially on Defense where he is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole with the Defensive talent is more suited for a 4-3 instead of a 3-4, and you are looking at 8-8 to 7-9 each year. Depressing, but as Metallica would say "Sad but True"!!!!!!

You are correct sir. It is one thing to tank for a generational player like Luck or John Elway. I watch a lot of college football & there is no Luck coming out next year. I like Connor Cook but after that people are mnetioning Hackenburg from Penn State & every time I watch Penn State games he looks like he sucks. Although in his defense their oline does not do him any favors.

pretty much, although I do think Rex takes the blame for this D

They don't exist this year. It's supposed to be a bad group.

Cook, Goff and Lynch aren't bad

At least you are getting it.....did you really include Cutler in that? wtf.

It's a year late for thoughts on tanking. This is a sink or swim roster at this stage of the game.

Indeed, this roster is built to rise quickly and make something happen now or in the very near future to the detriment of the more distant future if need be.

When that window closes and we go full San Francisco, it will be time to tank.

Let's just hope the right QB emerges from the college ranks around the same time as that would be convenient and save some time on the rebuild.

Not just Cutler, he included Rivers and...Rivers. :blink:

Guess you don't know about the secret NFL cloning project, huh?

:thumbdown: