What Opinion did Cam Cameron Share?

JESSEFEFFER

When Rex was going over the history of how he developed an interest in Tyrod Taylor he mentioned that he had gotten positive reviews from guys like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. What was most interesting to me was the one he got from Cam Cameron after Cam had left the Ravens. Rex said he COULDN'T share what that opinion was which left me to wonder why.

Since Flacco was not very good much of the 2012 regular season which probably lead to Cam's firing, I think his opinion may be along the lines of "Tyrod is better than Flacco and if it were my call, he'd have been the starter." NFL coaches are adverse to having their names attached to opinions like that because it could bite them in the butt down the road. Often we hear opinions with unnamed sources, whereas, in this case, we know the source but not the opinion.

Ground up and in the freezer?

Thank you. I am, however, disappointed that it took 16 minutes for this reply to be posted. Have we already forgotten the epicness of the Mario hostage situation/FA visit thread?

The two other acceptable responses would have been "F5" or "deers."

Edited by devldog131

When Rex was going over the history of how he developed an interest in Tyrod Taylor he mentioned that he had gotten positive reviews from guys like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. What was most interesting to me was the one he got from Cam Cameron after Cam had left the Ravens. Rex said he COULDN'T share what that opinion was which left me to wonder why.

Since Flacco was not very good much of the 2012 regular season which probably lead to Cam's firing, I think his opinion may be along the lines of "Tyrod is better than Flacco and if it were my call, he'd have been the starter." NFL coaches are adverse to having their names attached to opinions like that because it could bite them in the butt down the road. Often we hear opinions with unnamed sources, whereas, in this case, we know the source but not the opinion.

Man, some posters are just lame and that list is growing daily. I agree with your thought process and that is really the only thing that I could think of that he wouldn't want to share.

Yeah, after Cameron was axed (and replaced by zombie Jim Caldwell!!), Flacco led the Ravens to playoff wins over Indy, Denver, NE and a SB win over SF.

If Cameron actually said "Tyrod is better than Flacco and if it were my call, he'd have been the starter", I'm sure Harbaugh is still chuckling over that.

Apparently Cameron shared this as well: "I would never hire me as an OC in the NFL".

Edited by Mr. WEO

Your interpretation makes sense, despite the naysayers.

But where does Rex say he can't repeat Cam's opinion?

I had wondered why Rex was interested in TT in the first place. Inside information from former Raven players and coaches explains it.

Rex had no clue that TT was going to be as good as he has shown. When he interviewed for the job in front of Whaley and the Pegulas he told them anyone accepting this job has to realize that the franchise qb is not in place. He elaborated that if that is the case then the right approach to take is accept that fact and build your team up the best you can everywhere else.

Did Cameron give Rex a positive recommendation on TT? Evidently so. I'm sure he told him that he had tools and that he was very diligent in his preparation. The Bills did not aggressively pursue TT. It was the other way around. TT sought out the best opportunity to compete for a starting job. The veteran qbs that the Bills sought out in the offseason were first, Josh McCown who wanted an extra year on a deal that Whaley refused to give, and then the Bills quickly signed Cassel as their fallback option.

The reality is that TT selected the Bills more so than the Bills selected him because he felt that it was his best opportunity to play. We got lucky! It was far from being an insightful decision. Nothing wrong or shameful about accepting good fortune.

Rex had no clue that TT was going to be as good as he has shown. When he interviewed for the job in front of Whaley and the Pegulas he told them anyone accepting this job has to realize that the franchise qb is not in place. He elaborated that if that is the case then the right approach to take is accept that fact and build your team up the best you can everywhere else.

Did Cameron give Rex a positive recommendation on TT? Evidently so. I'm sure he told him that he had tools and that he was very diligent in his preparation. The Bills did not aggressively pursue TT. It was the other way around. TT sought out the best opportunity to compete for a starting job. The veteran qbs that the Bills sought out in the offseason were first, Josh McCown who wanted an extra year on a deal that Whaley refused to give, and then the Bills quickly signed Cassel as their fallback option.

The reality is that TT selected the Bills more so than the Bills selected him because he felt that it was his best opportunity to play. We got lucky! It was far from being an insightful decision. Nothing wrong or shameful about accepting good fortune.

I don't know about this. Don't you remember when there was a story about how he was freshly minted as the coach and he ran into Thurman. He pulled him into a film room or something and said something along the lines of look at this guy I like at QB. He also said, if I remember correctly, something like we are going to go in a little talked about direction at QB. Do you think that he'd be excited to show Thurman highlights of McCown or Cassell? I don't. I think he had his eye on Tyrod the entire time.

I don't know about this. Don't you remember when there was a story about how he was freshly minted as the coach and he ran into Thurman. He pulled him into a film room or something and said something along the lines of look at this guy I like at QB. He also said, if I remember correctly, something like we are going to go in a little talked about direction at QB. Do you think that he'd be excited to show Thurman highlights of McCown or Cassell? I don't. I think he had his eye on Tyrod the entire time.

The first qb that Whaley pursued was McCown. As I said in the prior post Whaley wanted to sign him but was not willing to give him an additional year as he wanted. After Cleveland signed McCown the Bills quickly traded for Cassel.

The Bills did their due diligence on all qbs who were potentially available. There is nothing unusual about gathering as much information on backup qbs or all players for that matter.

TT wanted an opportunity to start. He wasn't going to get that chance playing behind an establlished qb such as Flacco. When the Bills acquired TT they had little expectation that he would turn out to be as good as he has played.

Being lucky is as good as being smart if the outcome is the same. There is no need to make excuses over your good fortune. Just embrace it!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478438/article/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-signed-qb-tyrod-taylor

The first qb that Whaley pursued was McCown. As I said in the prior post Whaley wanted to sign him but was not willing to give him an additional year as he wanted. After Cleveland signed McCown the Bills quickly traded for Cassel.

The Bills did their due diligence on all qbs who were potentially available. There is nothing unusual about gathering as much information on backup qbs or all players for that matter.

TT wanted an opportunity to start. He wasn't going to get that chance playing behind an establlished qb such as Flacco. When the Bills acquired TT they had little expectation that he would turn out to be as good as he has played.

Being lucky is as good as being smart if the outcome is the same. There is no need to make excuses over your good fortune. Just embrace it!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478438/article/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-signed-qb-tyrod-taylor

McCown was available (and signed?) before Tyrod became a free agent, due to his release from the Bucs. To me it reads like they wanted Tyrod vs. Veteran QB all along, with McCown first choice to be the vet and Cassel the runner up.

edit- McCown did sign with Cleveland March 2nd, 8 days before the league year.

Edited by Aaron

McCown was available (and signed?) before Tyrod became a free agent, due to his release from the Bucs. To me it reads like they wanted Tyrod vs. Veteran QB all along, with McCown first choice to be the vet and Cassel the runner up.

edit- McCown did sign with Cleveland March 2nd, 8 days before the league year.

It was well known by everyone that Tampa was going to draft a qb with the first pick in the draft and that McCown was not going to be kept on the roster. I'm not saying that the Bills had no interest in Tyrod as a qb. The thrust of my comments is that they had no expectation that Tyrod was the type of prospect who would be so good.

Had the same exact thought listening to that interview on WGR. Can't think of what else it would be...if that's the case, I have more respect for Cameron now than I ever did when he was coaching. And Taylor's making him look better with every play.

It was well known by everyone that Tampa was going to draft a qb with the first pick in the draft and that McCown was not going to be kept on the roster. I'm not saying that the Bills had no interest in Tyrod as a qb. The thrust of my comments is that they had no expectation that Tyrod was the type of prospect who would be so good.

Fair enough, but there is nothing to support the claim that the Bills didn't aggressively pursue Tyrod.

The Bills haven't been lucky at QB since taking a flyer on an aging one from the Canadian Football League. Also - luckily for the Bills - Tyrod and his agent have been eyeing the team for awhile now, stretching back to the 2011 NFL Draft.

Edited by JayBaller10

Bulldog brought this up on WGR today and Sal said that he heard while around OBD what was said between Cameron and Rex about Taylor, and said that to his knowledge it was not that he thought he was better than Flacco.

He wouldn't say what it was, just said that it was pretty cool.

Unless you have some insider information regarding this I disagree with you. I think he did have an inkling that Tyrod could be very good. I think he was the QB that he was very excited to show Thurman videos of and I think the Bills went after him just as much, if not more than he came to us. McCown and Cassell were always a fall back plan in my opinion if EJ and Tyrod looked bad in camp. Nothing more. Why is it so hard to believe that we saw something in a guy who broke all of Michael Vicks records at Virginia Tech and had time to develop properly behind a solid QB in a solid organization? It really does not seem far fetched to me at all. Linking an article that just says we signed Tyrod Taylor, I'm not too sure what to make of that.

Edited by Mark80

We had new owners and new coach and no QB. Free agency happens before the draft. GMs and coaches hate to give away draft picks even if they are low rounds. I have no doubt in my mind that if Cassel was the free agent and McCown was on the Vikings the exact same scenario would have occurred. They would have made a play for Cassel but not offered him a lot and if he didn't bite make a trade for a 6th round pick for a veteran to battle EJ and then still signed Tyrod.

It's not that they thought McCown was great or better than Cassel as evidenced by the offer. It was because he was free and available but when they didn't get him they needed a veteran in case all else failed.

We had new owners and new coach and no QB. Free agency happens before the draft. GMs and coaches hate to give away draft picks even if they are low rounds. I have no doubt in my mind that if Cassel was the free agent and McCown was on the Vikings the exact same scenario would have occurred. They would have made a play for Cassel but not offered him a lot and if he didn't bite make a trade for a 6th round pick for a veteran to battle EJ and then still signed Tyrod.

It's not that they thought McCown was great or better than Cassel as evidenced by the offer. It was because he was free and available but when they didn't get him they needed a veteran in case all else failed.

I never suggested that the Bills thought McCown or Cassel were anything but pedestrian. That is understood. The organization's positiion was in the start of new Pegula era it was important to make an honest/realistic assessment of the situation and make the best of it. The Bills expected to strengthen the OL, improve the running game and couple it with a great defense. They expected to enter the season with a veteran game manager type qb.

The central point in my prior posts is that the staff never realized how good TT was when it added him to the qb mix. It wasn't until late into preseason that TT solidifed his position as a starter. It was widely reported that Roman preferred Cassel as a starter until late in preseason TT locked up the starter slot by glaringly outperforming his competitors.

The Bills didn't out snooker the rest of the league by picking up TT because they knew how good he was.going to be. The level of his play was a pleasant surprise to them. The Bills got lucky. There is nothing wrong with unexpectingly hitting the jackpot. I wouldn't be embarrased by such good fortune---I would celebrate it!

Edited by JohnC

I never suggested that the Bills thought McCown or Cassel were anything but pedestrian. That is understood. The organization's positiion was in the start of new Pegula era it was important to make an honest/realistic assessment of the situation and make the best of it. The Bills expected to strengthen the OL, improve the running game and couple it with a great defense. They expected to enter the season with a veteran game manager type qb.

The central point in my prior posts is that the staff never realized how good TT was when it added him to the qb mix. It wasn't until late into preseason that TT solidifed his position as a starter. It was widely reported that Roman preferred Cassel as a starter until late in preseason TT locked up the starter slot by glaringly outperforming his competitors.

The Bills didn't out snooker the rest of the league by picking up TT because they knew how good he was.going to be. The level of his play was a pleasant surprise to them. The Bills got lucky. There is nothing wrong with unexpectingly hitting the jackpot. I wouldn't be embarrased by such good fortune---I would celebrate it!

I'm sure the Seahwaks didn't "expect" Russell Wilson to be as good as he turned out.. but thats not the point. They still drafted him when every other team passed him up.

You seem to be trying to take something away from the Bills for signing Taylor, when every other team had a chance to do the same. It doesn't matter how good they thought he was going to be, they made the move and look smart for doing it.

In the end we don't know what they thought of Taylor, but its clear that Rex has liked him for quite some time. I think he deserves some credit for his role in this, because if he wasn't here, I doubt Taylor would be.

Edited by Billsrhody

I'm sure the Seahwaks didn't "expect" Russell Wilson to be as good as he turned out.. but thats not the point. They still drafted him when every other team passed him up.

You seem to be trying to take something away from the Bills for signing Taylor, when every other team had a chance to do the same. It doesn't matter how good they thought he was going to be, they made the move and look smart for doing it.

In the end we don't know what they thought of Taylor, but its clear that Rex has liked him for quite some time. I think he deserves some credit for his role in this, because if he wasn't here, I doubt Taylor would be.

I'm not taking anything away from anybody. Go back and read what I wrote.

Are you referring to this preseason or past ones?

Your question makes no sense to me.

Your question makes no sense to me.

You said:

There is nothing to support the claim that the Bills did aggressively pursue Tyrod.

Are you saying that Bills weren't aggressively pursuing Taylor this year?

You said:

There is nothing to support the claim that the Bills did aggressively pursue Tyrod.

Are you saying that Bills weren't aggressively pursuing Taylor this year?

They were interested in him but there was nothing to suggest that they believed that he was going to be as good as he is. In fact the opposite is true. There is much to suggest that the organization believed that a veteran game manager qb such as Cassell was going to be the starter this season. Things turned out differently because TT simply outperformed the pedestrian veteran qb and EJ. If they thought he was going to be so good the coaching staff would have more quickly installed him as the starter. The reality is that it wasn't until late in the preseason that TT solidified his starting position.

I'm not taking anything away from anybody. Go back and read what I wrote.

You are. You keep presenting the narrative as if the Bills just happened to sign Tyrod and it was pure luck. There is always an element of luck in how newly-acquired players turn out- no one is "embarrassed" by this. its always a given.

Whaley spoke early on about going in a little-talked-about direction at quarterback. This team had their eye on Tyrod Taylor as a possible starter early in the process, prior to his signing. That is the part where you're selling them short.

Edited by Aaron