Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the link you provided again... Woods looked like the target (and it looked like he was open but the DB could have already left him while he tracked the ball, couldn't tell from that angle).

I saw that too, but if so, it's either bad pay design or bad route running to have two receivers in the exact same passing lane.

I saw that too, but if so, it's either bad pay design or bad route running to have two receivers in the exact same passing lane.

Could very well be. I'm sure people at the game had a better view, with that one angle it's really difficult to tell for certain. The all-22 will be more illuminating tomorrow -- if I can stomach watching it without wanting to rip my eyes out.

My bad - not exactly the same, of course, but poorly placed balls that were extremely difficult to catch and which weren't hauled in by receivers via circus catches. TT had time and protection on that throw, and he just has to be more accurate. He threw way too high three times yesterday, and they all resulted in picks.

Fair enough. :beer:

Another game where Sammy: almost, could have, maybe, should have, if only, will; start to live to his potential.

Only to be cut short because he can't stay on the field. Season total 3 games, 7 catches, 99 yards, 1 TD. Avg 2.3 catches and 33 yards a game. His potential is great, his production is pitiful. Can you say Lee Evans?

Good thing we picked up Harvin, who is a guy that wants to play.

Another game where Sammy: almost, could have, maybe, should have, if only, will; start to live to his potential.

Only to be cut short because he can't stay on the field. Season total 3 games, 7 catches, 99 yards, 1 TD. Avg 2.3 catches and 33 yards a game. His potential is great, his production is pitiful. Can you say Lee Evans?

I know this is just taking the bait, but I think the decision to yank Sammy had a lot to do with the game being over.

Gotta say, I agree.

Sammy seems soft to me. He's a guy with all the talent in the world but SO FAR just isn't bringing it consistently. Harvin & Woods are playing better ball so far this season and IMO it isn't even close.

Lee Evans 2.0. No execuses now that we have a competent, actually really good QB in Taylor. Oh wait what a surprise, now he is hurt.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Gotta say, I agree.

Sammy seems soft to me. He's a guy with all the talent in the world but SO FAR just isn't bringing it consistently. Harvin & Woods are playing better ball so far this season and IMO it isn't even close.

Ummmm do you think they are open because Sammy gets the D's focus?

Dumb timing after a dominant win, from the op

With all due respect

Lee Evans 2.0. No execuses now that we have a competent, actually really good QB in Taylor. Oh wait what a surprise, now he is hurt.

Winning games sucks. Cue the booger eaters.

Gotta say, I agree.

Williams playing better than McCoy. Glad we are still winning despite some of Whaley's high priced toys not playing well.

Williams playing better than McCoy. Glad we are still winning despite some of Whaley's high priced toys not playing well.

At this point, McCoy is just a really expensive 3rd down back. He's great in space, great catching the ball, big home run potential. But lets be honest: If we were basing playing time on production and how players have looked so far this year, Williams should be the bellcow. Dude is legit.

It was a bad pick even if he had produced the way Whaley figured. Now it just looks busted.

Any wide out that draws consistent double coverage is far from a bust. That's just ridiculous to even say that. He's one of the reasons our other weapons are being so productive.

At this point, McCoy is just a really expensive 3rd down back. He's great in space, great catching the ball, big home run potential. But lets be honest: If we were basing playing time on production and how players have looked so far this year, Williams should be the bellcow. Dude is legit.

Actually, I saw Boobie in there on 3rd in place of McCoy at least once! :nana:

The Lee Evans comparisons are so ridiculous. Not even close to the same level of talent or type of player.

I see it only as a comparison in the sense that it's the same excuse/narrative card that was played by the fans when Lee Evans wasn't living up to his bill.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I see it only as a comparison in the sense that it's the same excuse/narrative card that was played by the fans when Lee Evans wasn't living up to his bill.

Lee Evans had a solid career here and would have had a better career somewhere else. He went through some awful QB's, coaches, and OC's. Lee isn't as bad as the negativity around him would suggest. His skill set is valuable on the right team, but we surrounded him with other small and similar receivers, terrible offensive schemes and terrible QB's.

That being said, Sammy had a very good rookie year, especially considering how bad our OC was, HC was, and Orton was.

And this year, he's getting slammed for not being more productive while ignoring that he has been banged up, this team has taken huge leads in 2 games where we leaned on run game and reserves in the 2nd half, and he and our QB have yet to have much time to build timing. Despite all of that, he has 2 TDs in 3 games and has constantly drawn double teams opening up the field for the rest of our team.

Everyone likes to label facts as excuses to build their case...well sometimes, facts are just facts. This kid is talented and has had a very good start to his career outside of being banged up.

PS: Lets not forget, this team is LOADED with offensive weapons. We have lots of playmakers, so the production is going to be spread all over the field and we aren't going to have monster stats from a single guy very often because so many guys contribute and make plays. In fact, its TT that will have the big statistical games with all these weapons to use.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Lee Evans had a solid career here and would have had a better career somewhere else. He went through some awful QB's, coaches, and OC's. Lee isn't as bad as the negativity around him would suggest. His skill set is valuable on the right team, but we surrounded him with other small and similar receivers, terrible offensive schemes and terrible QB's.

That being said, Sammy had a very good rookie year, especially considering how bad our OC was, HC was, and Orton was.

And this year, he's getting slammed for not being more productive while ignoring that he has been banged up, this team has taken huge leads in 2 games where we leaned on run game and reserves in the 2nd half, and he and our QB have yet to have much time to build timing. Despite all of that, he has 2 TDs in 3 games and has constantly drawn double teams opening up the field for the rest of our team.

Everyone likes to label facts as excuses to build their case...well sometimes, facts are just facts. This kid is talented and has had a very good start to his career outside of being banged up.

Part of being great in the NFL means playing well banged up too. Sammy is incredible, but let's face it.... He has been out performed by other guys in his draft class, after getting drafted as the runaway best.

"Jerry Rice is also remembered for his work ethic and dedication to the game. In his 20 NFL seasons, Rice missed only 10 regular season games, 7 of them in the 1997 season, and the other 3 in the strike-shortened season of 1987. His 303 games are by far the most ever played by an NFL wide receiver."

Watkins update
Bills WR Sammy Watkins suffered a calf injury in the first half of Sunday’s win over Miami. For Watkins there have been a few frustrating injuries stretching back to his rookie season when broken ribs in the preseason were followed by a hip problem that required his surgery in the offseason. Now three weeks into the 2015 season his time on the field was cut short by an injury that kept him from driving off his right leg.

It sucks that SW has had some misfortune w/ injuries but it's pretty obvious he's got 20x the talent of Lee Evans. And that's on his worst day.

Injuries happen though. Hope it's not major.

Part of being great in the NFL means playing well banged up too. Sammy is incredible, but let's face it.... He has been out performed by other guys in his draft class, after getting drafted as the runaway best.

Seriously? Up 27 to 0 and you want Sammy to play banged up? Sammy isn't here to pad your fantasy stats guys.

I realize he will never be "worth" it to some people, but it's time to let it go. The game tape proves what he is capable of.

How was his time in Clemson regarding injuries?

I don't recall him missing any games due to injury. The reference site I just checked had him at 13, 10 and 13 games on his three seasons. I know he served a suspension as a sophomore