Interesting stat on Edelman

YoloinOhio

@hsimon62: Julian Edelman career stats vs Ryan's Jets teams: 10 games, 60 targets, 38 catches, 367 yards and 1 touchdown

Thank you. That's very encouraging.

Averages out to 6 targets but just 3.8 catches, 36.7 yards and 0.1 touchdowns PER GAME.

I think Edelman is the primary example of what Aaron Williams was talking about yesterday when he said "the way they carry themselves on the field."

Edelman is a Doooosh. Capital D.

Would love to see Robey undercut him on one of those quick routes and take it the other way for six.

I think Darby follows him around. I want Robey available to play the slot and blitz.

I'm sort of worried about the rookie playing a shifty guy like Edelman...maybe that's just me. At this point in their respective careers I trust Robey's instincts more.

I'm sort of worried about the rookie playing a shifty guy like Edelman...maybe that's just me. At this point in their respective careers I trust Robey's instincts more.

I understand that sentiment, eball. For me, Darby's problems haven't been the "can't stick with 'em" variety, but rather getting beaten to the football in jump-ball/deep-ball scenarios. That's not exactly Edelman's game, nor is it the way that Brady**** targets him. Darby excels in sticking with the short-area quickness guys, so I'd prefer to let him do that with Edelman. if he's not up to the task, you can always move Robey on him, but the advantage that Robey offers in blitzing is too great to give up.

The other factor to consider is that I believe NE**** will play a LOT of 2-TE on Sunday, and I think you want Darby on the field as he'll hold up better against WR blocking on the edge of the field than Robey will.

I understand that sentiment, eball. For me, Darby's problems haven't been the "can't stick with 'em" variety, but rather getting beaten to the football in jump-ball/deep-ball scenarios. That's not exactly Edelman's game, nor is it the way that Brady**** targets him. Darby excels in sticking with the short-area quickness guys, so I'd prefer to let him do that with Edelman. if he's not up to the task, you can always move Robey on him, but the advantage that Robey offers in blitzing is too great to give up.

The other factor to consider is that I believe NE**** will play a LOT of 2-TE on Sunday, and I think you want Darby on the field as he'll hold up better against WR blocking on the edge of the field than Robey will.

That is a very good point.

im buying what your selling here.

@hsimon62: Julian Edelman career stats vs Ryan's Jets teams: 10 games, 60 targets, 38 catches, 367 yards and 1 touchdown

Close to ten yards a pop...ouch

Bellicheat is going to spread the offense wide and run. Mark my words.

He normally plays to his strength and thats not it. However he has to figure out a way to neutralize the blitz. Im kind of indifferent so the safe bet is he finds a way to cheat.

The Pats*** deal with the blitz with a QB who can get the ball out accurately in less than two seconds. That's why Edelman's quickness & Gronk's size are so key. There isn't time for deep or crossing patterns in that type of scheme. Brady's receivers can wall off defenders or quickly get open coming off the line or out of motion. I think we need to limit the blitzes and let the Cold Front take care of the pass rush.

Close to ten yards a pop...ouch

He normally plays to his strength and thats not it. However he has to figure out a way to neutralize the blitz. Im kind of indifferent so the safe bet is he finds a way to cheat.

Yeah, but only 36 yards a game.

Here's a stat on Edleman: He is my #1 most hated player on the Pats. Even more than Brady right now. I hate the way he gets up chirping after every friggin play. Someone needs to lay him out.

I also feel like Darby, with his speed, would be better to cover the very quick Edleman than Robey would. JMO.

Bellicheat is going to spread the offense wide and run. Mark my words.

If anything is done opening up the Patriots field then Belicheat is going to put Gronk out wide. Among his best offensive weapons is Chandler, he will need him on the field, as well. Amendola and Edelman on the field with either Dobson or Chandler is going to be the routine. I don't expect the Patriots to bother running much two back sets. They will want the mismatches of putting TE's out wide against our DB's. I believe that will include Chandler.

This will create mismatches in size and make our guys have to cover a lot more field to stop them. We have fresh legs to bring in but if Graham can't go and with McKelvin out we won't have it too easy. Mario Butler really stepped up and we know what we have in Robey. It is our LB's that will be beat and could run out of steam, especially if we put an LB on Edelman inside.

Edelman won't have a big game but he will contribute and help create mismatches on the field to allow for Chandler and Gronk to succeed.

I agree with this. Darby can stay with his guy step for step. It's the tall guys he's had trouble with, and Edelman's only 5'10". And, after Darby's performance vs. Indy, I think he can shut Edelman down.

3rd and short yardage is his bread and butter.. i don't know if Darby's quick enough to make up for sketchy rookie instincts.. he's certainly not big enough.. and his propensity to grab jerseys may catch a holding flag or two. Pats like to move him to keep anyone from getting a bead on him - even good technique guys are at a disadvantage there.. it's gonna be tough assignment all around, but as much as Gronk has become big play threat, i think Edelman is who B & B trust most in big downs.. frustrate him, and they stall.

The Bills need to play smart and physical. Make it hurt by dishing out punishing hits on all those dink and dunk type passes (Also the first guy there needs to make the tackle). Each time they touch the ball they need to be more sore than the last time. Do that and don't beat yourselves and that's a recipe for success against the Pats*. The Ravens always seem to have success against the Pats* by having good strong open field tackling to go along with a front seven capable of pressuring the QB.

Edited by billsfan89

The Pats*** deal with the blitz with a QB who can get the ball out accurately in less than two seconds. That's why Edelman's quickness & Gronk's size are so key. There isn't time for deep or crossing patterns in that type of scheme. Brady's receivers can wall off defenders or quickly get open coming off the line or out of motion. I think we need to limit the blitzes and let the Cold Front take care of the pass rush.

Your absolutely right about Brady getting the ball off quickly. But Luck also gets the ball off quickly and the blitz certainly didn't hurt us. If you give Brady even more time to throw by not blitzing, he'll pick you to pieces continually.