Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

From @Mitch_Courtney1: Hearing from a source close to the situation that the Bills will part ways with Matt Cassel in favor of EJ Manuel as early as Friday

This guy doesn't have any obvious connections, so take it FWIW.

Edited by eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deleted! Same source as Eball

I don't dislike Cassel but thrilled they are not giving EJ away. He is really making progress.

This. It would not surprise me at all. Cassel showed next to nothing in the preseason. TT, EJ, Sims is a lot stronger than what we had last year and the year before.

Where there's smoke, there's fire I always say.

Hooda thunk that the "Vet" they're going to keep is EJ! :w00t:

I'd be shocked. We gave up a 5th and a 7th in a trade for him. Maybe a trade to get something, even a 7th back. But with no veteran on team, it just wouldn't make sense.

it takes 4 mill right off the cap that they can roll over to sign Dareus. And these two guys are relatively inexperienced but aren't rookies. I think Cassel is also pissed.

@TyDunne: Cassel wasn't around yesterday in the locker room. Didn't sound like he was thrilled with getting 4 preseason series in 3 games on Sat.

I'd be shocked. We gave up a 5th and a 7th in a trade for him. Maybe a trade to get something, even a 7th back. But with no veteran on team, it just wouldn't make sense.

That kind of thinking gets you in trouble. You can't make the right move because (insert reason here.) They traded for Cassel to make sure they had a contingency plan. Plans change.

Said in another thread - friends have a "closeness" to someone at OBD. Talked him to recently - said Bills all along only wanted to carry 2 qb's + practice squad

I agree, it makes perfect sense. TT, EJ or Cassel (appears to be EJ), and Simms on the PS.

Edited by ricojes

With a want to keep an extra WR, and extra TE, an extra RB, and a KO/KR, it would be idiotic to keep Matt Simms on the active roster and not the PS.

agreed - i just meant in the keep 2 instead of 3 sense. if EJ played his way firmly into the second slot its crazy to keep cassell, regardless of whether you count simms on the PS as "3"

That kind of thinking gets you in trouble. You can't make the right move because (insert reason here.) They traded for Cassel to make sure they had a contingency plan. Plans change.

yes. It's the exact opposite of the "ermagerd Whaley's ego" argument. He gave up a late round pick, so what, it's not worth losing the young stars he wants to sign with that cash if they don't think Cassel will help the team this year.

it takes 4 mill right off the cap that they can roll over to sign Dareus. And these two guys are relatively inexperienced but aren't rookies. I think Cassel is also pissed.

@TyDunne: Cassel wasn't around yesterday in the locker room. Didn't sound like he was thrilled with getting 4 preseason series in 3 games on Sat.

It's a tough business. He can only be mad at himself, though.

With way EJ and Tyrod hv played it would not surprise me if Cassel is traded or cut.

Again, I would think they put Cassel and EJ on trade wire and see what they can get. But right now who knows. Again, my thought is one (likely EJ) would get traded with other staying (maybe). I also think/thought both could be gone and a backup closer to TT's style would be brought in.

If true, I think Cassel showed the coaches all they needed to see when he tried to run for a first down and got stuck and bounced back a yard in mid-air. Meanwhile Tyrod scrambled for 20 and six, and EJ just kept scoring.

From @Mitch_Courtney1: Hearing from a source close to the situation that the Bills will part ways with Matt Cassel in favor of EJ Manuel as early as Friday

I really do believe this is the best move...

Cassel was brought in as vet insurance...TT and EJ are both young and relatively inexperienced...But the way the two young QB's have played Cassel is simply not needed anymore...I think removing him from this whole equation is smart...TT and EJ are the future and the future is clearly now...It's nothing against Cassel...The two young guys just got better... B-)

I really wouldn't be surprised. They'd save $4M in cap space. EJ looked good in Pre-season.

I guess he could count keeping three including Simms if you count the PS.

He never definitively stated he would keep 3....just that it was looking highly likely(at that point). I imagine that when Rex said that he was not wanting to cut EJ as he could see potential in him.....and after EJ showed himself to be actually better than Cassel, there is no reason to keep the more expensive vet.

They are going to cut him because he is a Patriots spy and went to the Kentucky Derby with Tom Brady!!! :devil:

FWIW, I thought all offseason that there was NO CHANCE of this happening. As it has played out it is possible. I was definitely wrong on this one.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

They are going to cut him because he is a Patriots spy and went to the Kentucky Derby with Tom Brady!!! :devil:

FWIW, I thought all offseason that there was NO CHANCE of this happening. As it has played out it is possible. I was definitely wrong on this one.

pretty sure Belicheat is gonna sign him and he will annihilate us!!

If true, I think Cassel showed the coaches all they needed to see when he tried to run for a first down and got stuck and bounced back a yard in mid-air. Meanwhile Tyrod scrambled for 20 and six, and EJ just kept scoring.

But preseason doesn't count. Practice!

It only makes no sense if the two young guys are not playing well or properly absorbing what Roman wants them to learn about the system...If the two young guys play better than expected and have the coaches confidence it makes all the sense in the world to release Cassel...Why have him standing in the way?...He's not part of the future...I don't like the fact that we gave up picks for him...But it's not like they gave up much...So... B-)

I think it is likely that Cassel gets released. Just listened to the Sportrac guy who discussed the Bills' cap situation and the savings from cutting Cassel would go a long way in being able to stretch out a signing bonus for Dareus. If the Bills are smart they will wait until the last minute to cut him just in case some freak injury to the other QBs happens before week 1.