RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

One reason you don't let Fred go is that he has been counted out about ten times in his career and each time he has proven everyone who doubted him wrong. I wish we would have waited until he didn't get up for the bell because this could be 11. I understand the move I just wouldn't have made it

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those up in arms about Bryce Brown still being here, who says he will be on the roster come a week from today? It may end up being McCoy, Dixon & Williams. Would you rather have an aging veteran over a promising rookie in Williams or a decent backup and good ST'er in DIxon?

Like most everyone else, I loved Freddy as a Bill, but his time had come.

Bottom line...cutting Freddy is not going to ruin the season.

One reason you don't let Fred go is that he has been counted out about ten times in his career and each time he has proven everyone who doubted him wrong. I wish we would have waited until he didn't get up for the bell because this could be 11. I understand the move I just wouldn't have made it

This. It wasn't Fred's time yet.

I have a bad feeling about this. I don't trust McCoy and behind him they have what? A rookie, a journeyman and a fumbler? They are apparently going to start a guy at QB who has never started in the NFL and you cut a great safety valve and a great blocker. I don't get it.

OK now wait just a minute

- You dont trust a top 5 NFL running back? Who has been relatively healthy his whole career? That is stretching it a bit much.

Look...I also hate that FJ is no longer her......LOVE the guy. I think it also needs to be said that there has been a common theme with Freddie (even when we were platooning him in recent years)

- Starts off strong because healthy....just like last year

- As the season progresses....starts getting nicked up (and slowing down) due to his age

I was hoping for one more year with a VERY small workload behind shady......but the problem with this is they REALLY like the rookie.....

though at this point, even if we miss on time 11, there likely are 12 and 13. even in the worst case scenario, theres just not a lot of long term down side.

For all those up in arms about Bryce Brown still being here, who says he will be on the roster come a week from today? It may end up being McCoy, Dixon & Williams. Would you rather have an aging veteran over a promising rookie in Williams or a decent backup and good ST'er in DIxon?

Like most everyone else, I loved Freddy as a Bill, but his time had come.

Bottom line...cutting Freddy is not going to ruin the season.

Agreed, and I very rarely care how nice a guy a player is, how hard a player is trying, or past history/performance if there's a better option out there. But this one hurts.

OK now wait just a minute

- You dont trust a top 5 NFL running back? Who has been relatively healthy his whole career? That is stretching it a bit much.

Look...I also hate that FJ is no longer her......LOVE the guy. I think it also needs to be said that there has been a common theme with Freddie (even when we were platooning him in recent years)

- Starts off strong because healthy....just like last year

- As the season progresses....starts getting nicked up (and slowing down) due to his age

I was hoping for one more year with a VERY small workload behind shady......but the problem with this is they REALLY like the rookie.....

Chip Kelly obviously didn't trust him. I don't like that he has a hamstring injury. He has taken a lot of hits. He makes me nervous.

I'm not opposed to Fred making the Wall. But Schobel should be there before Fred. Hansen was part of very successful teams, which is perhaps why 3rd best in sacks got him the spot. Schobel is #2 all time, but played for crappy teams. Fred is #3 all time with yards ... on crappy teams.

I think there's a little more to it than just yards when it comes to Fred. Safe to say Schobel, while a good player, didn't bring that. He belongs on the WOF.

Chip Kelly obviously didn't trust him. I don't like that he has a hamstring injury. He has taken a lot of hits. He makes me nervous.

But you trust Chip Kelly's assessment...the same guy who is wagering their entire season on Sam "One day I'll play a full season without my head falling off" Bradford....?

So you think if McCoy gets hurt, that Freddie is going to step right in and the Bills aren't going to skip a beat. He is on his last leg.

If McCoy goes down for a lengthy period of time, the Bills could be in trouble, and Freddie is not the answer to that problem.

Edited by LabattBlue

One other thing about Fred that I hope doesn't happen.

He's known as one of the best guys in the NFL and all-time great Bill, but he has not always liked the Bills organization. There have been two times he was very pissed at them, downright bitter, and thought they totally screwed him over on contracts.

He can take this release one of several different ways. Hopefully he will be pragmatic about it. But if he is downright bitter, he could easily want to go to the Patriots or Dolphins or Jets. His love for the city or the fans may prevent him from doing this. I wonder what Thurman will say to him.

We traded OJ. People come and go. It saved the team a lot of money. I hope he ends up in a good place.

It didn't save the team a lot of money. It saved chump change. Signing that bust c. Williams and giving him 5.5 mil guarnteed was a lot of money. And for all the good Whaley has done sometimes he just doesn't get it. IMO this cut had nothing to do about money. i get it but possobly watching B. Brown riding the pine in street clothes and inactive this year on gamedays proves what?

Got to go the NFL network replaying saturdays game.

Whaley just spoke to reporters; called it a decision that was unbelievably difficult but had the support of everyone including the Pegulas. Said he and Rex had a very emotional conversation with Fred. Release came now to allow him time to catch on somewhere else.

Sounds like it was done in as classy and respectful a way as possible.

One other thing about Fred that I hope doesn't happen.

He's known as one of the best guys in the NFL and all-time great Bill, but he has not always liked the Bills organization. There have been two times he was very pissed at them, downright bitter, and thought they totally screwed him over on contracts.

He can take this release one of several different ways. Hopefully he will be pragmatic about it. But if he is downright bitter, he could easily want to go to the Patriots or Dolphins or Jets. His love for the city or the fans may prevent him from doing this. I wonder what Thurman will say to him.

What are you referring to, specifically?