Goodwin Status??

Most reports said Ryan said he might have broken ribs, one report said Ryan said he did and he's out indefinitely. Any clarity on the actual situation? Be a shame if hes lost for any real length of time as they were using him in more phases of the passing game, and we know he can stretch the defense.

BTW I read Shazier was in on the tackle....hes the one that broke Watkins ribs in preseason last year. I officially hate the guy now

if it's not his ribs it's going to be something else every single game. the guy is built out of paper mache. i've never seen someone get hurt so much. instead of working on his long jump in the offseason why doesn't this guy hit the weight room and put on another 10 pounds of muscle so he's not hurt every game?

Well, if the Bills are still struggling to find slots for good WRs, this could help. With all those other guys available, they can't tie up a slot for Goodwin, but they can put him on IR (assuming broken ribs) and have the right to bring him back at some point in the year. Odds are, whatever guys they keep, one of them will get hurt, and then they can bring Goodwin back from IR. This could work out.

if it's not his ribs it's going to be something else every single game. the guy is built out of paper mache. i've never seen someone get hurt so much. instead of working on his long jump in the offseason why doesn't this guy hit the weight room and put on another 10 pounds of muscle so he's not hurt every game?

All the muscle in the world wont stop a broken rib.

Why don't you try playing in the NFL and see how long you last.

Nice :sick:

All the muscle in the world wont stop a broken rib.

I understand but every time he gets hit he gets hurt. I'm not even being dramatic. It's literally every time he gets hit. I wouldn't keep him on the team just for that reason. When I found out that he does absolutely ZERO football related training in the offseason that just got me more fired up. The only thing he does to stay in shape is train for the long jump. Is he a football player or long jumper? If he's a long jumper then let him long jump. But if he wants to play football then he has to train for football. Gain another 10-20 pounds of muscle and he will be a lot more durable

If you IR him, doesn't he still count against he cap? Not sure what his cap hit is, maybe small enough not to worry about it.

You only have I believe it's one slot for IR designated to return. I think it's way to early in the season and Goodwin isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant that spot. Other higher needs unfortunately will likely show up as the season progresses.

IR, keeps him out of other teams hands and we can recall him in November if need be.

Ignoring the fact that he was one of the only Wideouts that's been healthy all during Training Camp? But ONLY Goodwin gets hurt.

he doesn't take football seriously and that makes me mad. he's using football to pay the bills and in the meantime he's training for the olympics. that's a slap in the face to the Bills and the fans imo. are you a Buffalo Bill or a long jumper? make up your mind

he doesn't take football seriously and that makes me mad. he's using football to pay the bills and in the meantime he's training for the olympics. that's a slap in the face to the Bills and the fans imo. are you a Buffalo Bill or a long jumper? make up your mind

Disagree. Im Justas upset that he seems to have serious injuries too but really?

Some guys in Goodwin's position are track athletes who want to play football. Goodwin thinks of himself as a football player athletic enough to run track also. OK, fine, he does seem willing to mix it up with the big guys on the field, he doesn't just run go routes (though maybe he should). I don't know if there's anything he can do to bulk up more than he has, because he'd lose some of the speed and more importantly the quickness that are his special advantages. Even with more bulk, a player can damage ribs, knees or elbows. CJ Spiller looked pretty well built but he broke a collarbone. It's a violent game and these things happen.

Disagree. Im Justas upset that he seems to have serious injuries too but really?

it is what it is. when we drafted him he said he was 100% football. then i read an article about how he doesn't do any football related training, he only trains for the long jump and now his main goal in life is to be in the olympics. he lied to us and the fact that he is always getting hurt isn't a coincidence. if you aren't focused on football and building yourself up to take the beating of the NFL game then you are going to get hurt. simple as that

Goodwin's status is that his body is not built to play in the NFL. He seems like a great guy but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go Chris Borland and focus on track here shortly. It is kind of a shame because I think he can play. But I just can't see him holding up for a 16 game season at this point.

Ignoring the fact that he was one of the only Wideouts that's been healthy all during Training Camp? But ONLY Goodwin gets hurt.

Dude the three main guys are not hurt hurt. They are chilling until the opener. Goodwin gets hurt hurt. Although yes, Harvin has a tendency to get hurt as well. I just feel like every time Goodwin touches the ball, I'm thinking there's a chance he doesn't get back up.

This post is entirely unnecessary.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Goodwin's status is that his body is not built to play in the NFL. He seems like a great guy but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go Chris Borland and focus on track here shortly. It is kind of a shame because I think he can play. But I just can't see him holding up for a 16 game season at this point.

Dude the three main guys are not hurt hurt. They are chilling until the opener. Goodwin gets hurt hurt.

agreed. i do think if he focused more on football specific training he might be able to take more of the abuse but i feel like his refusal to do so just shows where his priorities are. if he was like Chris Hogan and giving his all to football and hitting the weights and he was still getting hurt i would say well i guess his body just can't take it. but i think his priority for 2016 is being in the Olympics, not being on the Buffalo Bills

it is what it is. when we drafted him he said he was 100% football. then i read an article about how he doesn't do any football related training, he only trains for the long jump and now his main goal in life is to be in the olympics. he lied to us and the fact that he is always getting hurt isn't a coincidence. if you aren't focused on football and building yourself up to take the beating of the NFL game then you are going to get hurt. simple as that

Think there's some overlap in that training?

there is some but the training receivers do in the offseason is very specific to the sport and the position. for example some guys train for the marathon and get in good shape but you don't see them putting the pads on and trying to go out on the field vs guys that are 200-250 lbs of pure muscle. very different sports

It's really to bad cause this guy is just the kind of guy the Bills need & want on this team but he is like a fighter with a glass jaw .

I don't see him making the team . The only way is if he is the one player designated to come back later in the season .

With the 2 players Davis & Thomas coming on in the preseason Goodwin can be replaced ...

Great post and yes it really needs to be said.......regardless of what the warm and fuzzy apologists on here feel about his life story.

Even Steve Tasker was ragging on him last night for what both you and I have said.

He is a track-first guy and track guys don't like to perform unless they are 100%. Taker was kind but the message is clear and that's why Glass was invisible last season.

People lie about their commitment to their jobs in order to get and keep them all the time.

While it is annoying I am certain that everyone associated with the team is on to his game of using his football paycheck to finance his non-paying "hop dreams".

But he is a tremendously talented player with a huge upside.

And to his credit...likely realizing the charade is over.....he's actually tried to play with some discomfort this preseason.....but until he commits to training to become an every down WR he won't be able to withstand the punishment.

The time when he can be competitive at the highest level of track is nearly over and at that point perhaps he focuses on football.

If he times it right, he can have a breakout season just before he hits FA. :thumbsup:

I don't think more training is going to help. His body is probably in great shape. I think that some players have more balance, vision, prioperception, reactions/reflexes, or something which keeps them "lucky" despite many hits. Basically they get hit "squarely" less often and therefore are injured less. Goodwin just seems "unlucky" and in ways that are not explained by toughness alone. I think he just doesn't "slip" hits well enough... So he probably will not make it as a consistent NFL player. Too bad because he made some nice catches.

I don't think more training is going to help. His body is probably in great shape. I think that some players have more balance, vision, prioperception, reactions/reflexes, or something which keeps them "lucky" despite many hits. Basically they get hit "squarely" less often and therefore are injured less. Goodwin just seems "unlucky" and in ways that are not explained by toughness alone. I think he just doesn't "slip" hits well enough... So he probably will not make it as a consistent NFL player. Too bad because he made some nice catches.

I feel like McCoy is a master of slipping hits the way you describe.

Goodwin reminds me a lot of don beebee, elite speed but ended up taking the injurious hits.

There isn't a tremendous amount of training to do for long jump that isn't just running. The most beneficial training is leg workouts.

The only two who train more on jumping in the NFL are Jerry Hughes, to jump offsides and TJ Graham to jump catch.

Otherwise, Goodwin is as good as done for the year.

The criticism here is ridiculous...It would be one thing if this were a hamstring injury or something to do with conditioning. The man broke his rib. As was noted earlier, what would more muscle have done with protecting him from broken ribs? Did you see the way the one Steelers defenseman jumped on him when he was already tackled. It was a cheap shot with an intent to injure.

As another person posted, have you noticed that 5 of our top receivers and 4 of our top running backs are sidelined? Is McKelvin not properly conditioned either? How about Gilmore? How about Kiko last year? Was Jarius Byrd not properly conditioned over the last several years? Is it because they weren't devoting the proper amount of time to football per your standards?

I have read that Goodwin has had a good camp and was in position for a spot. If he wasn't putting the proper time to football, do you think he would even be in the competition for a spot with our deep wideout situation?

Thanks for the laugh!

The criticism here is ridiculous...It would be one thing if this were a hamstring injury or something to do with conditioning. The man broke his rib. As was noted earlier, what would more muscle have done with protecting him from broken ribs? Did you see the way the one Steelers defenseman jumped on him when he was already tackled. It was a cheap shot with an intent to injure.

As another person posted, have you noticed that 5 of our top receivers and 4 of our top running backs are sidelined? Is McKelvin not properly conditioned either? How about Gilmore? How about Kiko last year? Was Jarius Byrd not properly conditioned over the last several years? Is it because they weren't devoting the proper amount of time to football per your standards?

I have read that Goodwin has had a good camp and was in position for a spot. If he wasn't putting the proper time to football, do you think he would even be in the competition for a spot with our deep wideout situation?

Thanks for the laugh!

Yes, he is talented enough with great movement skills to stick as a 5th or 6th receiver on most teams on an inexpensive rookie contract even though he isn't making a full commitment to his craft.

Learning how to protect yourself from injury is part of taking that next step. Some of that is physical like bulking up and some of that is situational awareness gained by honing skills as a WR.

How often do you see a good WR fall on his back like that and leave himself open to be speared from the front? Get down and cover up.

True, except that he runs great routes and consistently gets open and can catch and block very well, too.

And he is not built of bird bones like Roscoe.

He has the frame to get a bigger.

Not all that much difference in stature between he and Antonio Brown but Brown has taken the steps that Goodwin has not.

True, except that he runs great routes and consistently gets open and can catch and block very well, too.

:mellow: What is that worth if you're never on the field?

It's a question of durability... Or, in Goodwin's case, the complete lack thereof.. Davis, and thompson appear to be healthier prospects IMO..

Yes, he is talented enough with great movement skills to stick as a 5th or 6th receiver on most teams on an inexpensive rookie contract even though he isn't making a full commitment to his craft.

Learning how to protect yourself from injury is part of taking that next step. Some of that is physical like bulking up and some of that is situational awareness gained by honing skills as a WR.

How often do you see a good WR fall on his back like that and leave himself open to be speared from the front? Get down and cover up.

He did get down on the play. The dude jumped on anyway. And his knee caught 88 in the ribs. Bad luck. Not bad training.

Most reports said Ryan said he might have broken ribs, one report said Ryan said he did and he's out indefinitely. Any clarity on the actual situation? Be a shame if hes lost for any real length of time as they were using him in more phases of the passing game, and we know he can stretch the defense.

BTW I read Shazier was in on the tackle....hes the one that broke Watkins ribs in preseason last year. I officially hate the guy now

We have plenty of speed and have 0 need for Goodwin who is always injured and rarely made a play when he wasn't