Making a Case for Cassel

Stads

If you were Greg Roman, tell me why you'd want Matt Cassel to be your starting quarterback.

P.S. I do apologize for adding another QB thread into the mix. The mods can feel free to get rid of this if needed.

veteran QB with enough experience that he may:

• correctly recognize the defensive reaction to an offensive personnel package, formation, motion
  • identify how and where pass rush may be applied to aid Center in setting pass protection
  • adhere to gameplan/coaching points in regard to reading anticipated options
  • follow his intuition when defense doesn't react as expected and play breaks down
oh yeah.. and he looks like he's been there.. done that :)

oh yeah part two.. I'm making the case why Roman might want him as his starter.. I'd prefer Taylor #1 and Manual #2, because those are the attributes a veteran should bring.. but there's no 'magic' there, and I like playmakers

Edited by BackInDaDay

Mistake free football

Better find a different QB then Cassel John. Cassel's td//int ratio 1.37, EJ's 1.33. Furthermore when counting all turnovers ( ints+fumbles) Cassel's ratio is .81 TDs per turnover EJ's ratio is .84. Cassel had 7 turnovers ( 4 ints and 3 fumbles) last year and only 3 TDs. EJ last year had 4 turnovers( 3 ints and 1 fumble) and had 5 Tds plus 1 rushing TD. Cassel plays anything but mistake free football.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

A good reason:

The Bills don't need a playmaker (Taylor) at quarterback.

They need someone that can get it to the playmakers (McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Harvin,)

This really looks like the design doesn't it?

But has Tyrod forced Roman to reconsider and add yet another threat in a real R-O QB?

Stay tuned if so then EJ might be his second and Matt a solid and confident third

I think th QB selection will be less about "why Cassel" and more about "why not TT or EJ"

THats gotta be the case honestly. They may well need to usurpand overturn the initial concepts coming into OTA and camp. Everyone was new to each other and the design was conceptual.

boots on the ground show some serious " hey maybe we could... ".

Damn this gets more interestinger all the time.

veteran QB with enough experience that he may:

• correctly recognize the defensive reaction to an offensive personnel package, formation, motion
  • identify how and where pass rush may be applied to aid Center in setting pass protection
  • adhere to gameplan/coaching points in regard to reading anticipated options
  • follow his intuition when defense doesn't react as expected and play breaks down

oh yeah.. and he looks like he's been there.. done that :)

Well thats exactly what he brings> and he can do that very well i might wager.

But...

The main reason I think they might prefer Cassel is because of his extensive veteran experience.

Basically, it should be harder for defenses to confuse Cassel than it will be to confuse either of the other guys.

And he is less likely to make the dumb mental mistakes that younger players make.

Wow, great to see resounding fan support for Matt Cassel. Hope Roman knows what hes doing, if Cassel is truly his guy.

Roman knows what he is doing. I dont even think twice about that anymore. Just listen to the guy. There is a damned good reason he was considered for HC.

Thank Pegula we roped him in!!!

We do have one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL and maybe the best Bills have ever had

Greg Roman know what he is doing!

we fans and media do not. simple as that.

which is freaking awesome

Go Bills !

The main reason I think they might prefer Cassel is because of his extensive veteran experience.

Basically, it should be harder for defenses to confuse Cassel than it will be to confuse either of the other guys.

And he is less likely to make the dumb mental mistakes that younger players make.

Allow me to query this then> is Rex one of the best defensive minds? Then he should be able to teach defense day in day out to his offense.

again.

a simple equation proving out we are bound for the super bowl.

if Bills can be consistent and reliable in the assignments given.

hate you use a Marrone ism. But in the end it really is about execution

3rdand12 this is what I'm hoping for. :thumbsup:

All in good time my pretties. All in good time.

If you were Greg Roman, tell me why you'd want Matt Cassel to be your starting quarterback.

P.S. I do apologize for adding another QB thread into the mix. The mods can feel free to get rid of this if needed.

Very easy... Tyrod Taylor, he can do everything Meh can do but he can also run and extend plays. Longer you give our playmakers more open they will become.

Imagine you own two cars. One is an Oldsmobile station wagon:

280px-2nd-Oldsmobile-Custom-Cruiser.jpg

Boring, but reliable. It will get you there safely with few surprises.

The other is a Ferrari Countach:

121538.jpg

A car that will give you a thrill a minute, might not be the most reliable and you could certainly get into a lot of trouble with. But some incredible things might happen, too.

That is what the Bills have in Cassel and Taylor. Are you really going to leave the Ferrari in the garage?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If Roman can build a strong, solid offense with a power run game, and be able to protect Cassel properly. Then I can see Cassel doing well like he did with his year of starting for the Patriots, or that one 10-5 season he had at KC with ex Patriot Charlie Weis as the OC.

OTOH, Should things not go so well with the run game, or with the offensive line then we could see that 1-7 Matt Cassel who threw 6 TD's, 12 INT's emerge. If this ends up being the case I can see Rex Ryan wanting to go with Taylor / EJ after a few games of the bad Matt Cassel.

consider this: When Andrew Luck comes to play in the season opener, they are going to run a Chan type offense, with multiple wideouts, keeping us in nickel and dime packages forcing lots of single coverage. It's 19 days away and Leodis is walking around in a boot right now, which means guys like Darby are going to be forced into action.

They are going to do a lot of 3 step drops and quick release stuff because they know we will kill Luck with our pass rush otherwise. He's a 95 plus passer rating with 40 TD's last year, and they're going to score around 20 on us.

When I think about what QB we are going to start, I can't help but think we need more than a game manager in this one. Yes Cassel has had a pro bowl season in the past, and EJ has had some nice long balls in camp, but I can't help but think TT is the guy that will keep the chains moving and Luck on the bench. He's been just as accurate as the other two, maybe more so, and he can do things that the other two can't.

Its not like Tyrod is a turnover machine, the guy might even be the safest option on top of having the biggest upside. Keep Cassel on the bench.

"Dumbass quarterback"

And here's the "wily old vet"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bHE0BVaroU

This one cracks me up....Matt Cassel's version of a "hail mary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E7EnBP3ruc

Matt Cassel in the playoffs...

"Matt Cassel Leads the Ravens to Victory"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJTHMI9P9g

I could post more, but it's overkill. Suffice to say, they are all comedy gold! Look for "Cassel Must Go!"..."Gannon blames Cassel"....or simply "Matt Cassel Sucks".

Please keep this clown off the field.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Just a thought, what if Cassel started game one, then we surprise the cheatriots with TT in game 2?

That's the kind of goofball move that I really hope Ryan doesn't resort to. He knows better (I think).

Let's not play games with the QB's and try to get cute (in week 2 no less). If they don't even have enough confidence in him, to stand behind him after one week, just start Tyrod from the beginning. It makes the coaching staff look indecisive, and unsure...bad message to send the players (and fans), and a terrible way to start your career in a new town.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Imagine you own two cars. One is an Oldsmobile station wagon:

280px-2nd-Oldsmobile-Custom-Cruiser.jpg

Boring, but reliable. It will get you there safely with few surprises.

The other is a Ferrari Countach F40:

121538.jpg

A car that will give you a thrill a minute, might not be the most reliable and you could certainly get into a lot of trouble with. But some incredible things might happen, too.

That is what the Bills have in Cassel and Taylor. Are you really going to leave the Ferrari in the garage?

I agree with you. And not that it really matters, but that's a Ferrari F40. (Lamborghini Countach)

Just a thought, what if Cassel started game one, then we surprise the cheatriots with TT in game 2?

You only do that if you think Cassel gives the best chances to win in game one and Taylor gives the team the best chances to win in game two.

The only way I see that happening is if 1) Cassel actually starts game 1 which he might and 2) Cassel sucks big time during that first game so bad that they make a QB change immediately (very unlikely)

"Dumbass quarterback"

And here's the "wily old vet"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bHE0BVaroU

This one cracks me up....Matt Cassel's version of a "hail mary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E7EnBP3ruc

Matt Cassel in the playoffs...

"Matt Cassel Leads the Ravens to Victory"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJTHMI9P9g

I could post more, but it's overkill. Suffice to say, they are all comedy gold! Look for "Cassel Must Go!"..."Gannon blames Cassel"....or simply "Matt Cassel Sucks".

Please keep this clown off the field.

Exactly - It is only a matter of time before TT starts....one episode like any of the above and it makes no sense not to go with TT.........

I agree with you. And not that it really matters, but that's a Ferrari F40. (Lamborghini Countach)

And that is TT not Russell Wilson :flirt:

There's really only one case that you can make for Cassel, and that is that neither E.J. nor Tyrod are ready to manage the offense. All things being equal, can the Bills really afford to start a guy that will be completely predictable in terms of his skill set, and not a long term solution for the team? I have a hard time advocating Cassel personally. Whether it's E.J. or Tyrod, I really don't honestly care. I just hope that we're not playing that same QB rotation that we played when we had Doug Flutie. That would be a team continuity disaster.

I'll take a serious crack at the question:

The one thing Cassel does better than any of the other QBs is play action -- which is going to be a major weapon with this rushing attack. Cassel is also the most experienced running multiple offenses, meaning his abilities to make the proper presnap reads and adjustments should be considerably higher than his counterparts. He's got a better arm than most people give him credit and with the line seemingly making a giant improvement (thanks, St. Doug) the need for a mobile QB might be diminished if the pockets remain clean. His work in the first preseason game was sharp, if pedestrian. He moved the ball, showed command of the huddle and the offense, and the guys seem to like him.

I do expect Taylor to win the gig, but I can see making a strong case for Cassel.

I'm cool with Cassel if he gets the call.

He played very well in the first pre season game.

My opinion on Matt is that when in the right situation he can be effective as he was with NE in 2007 and 2010 when the Cheaps made the playoffs. Let's not forget that his final year there the Cheaps were a dumpster/tire fire with Romeo Crennel as the interim HC and the LB shooting himself in the parking lot. The Bills this year is a good situation.

We need a QB to put the football in Harvin, Sammy, Woods, McCoy etc. hands. We have plenty of playmakers. We don't need another at QB, we need a point guard. Get the football in the scorers hands.

Edited by reddogblitz