Ted Black out: Russ Brandon to head Sabres and Bills

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout these 4 pages of posts, very little is provided regarding specific examples of Russ' accomplishments, good or bad. Plenty of opinion, but concrete examples of what he does that makes him really good or great aren't available.

In the absence of examples, I keep coming back to the fact that he's fortunate to work with teams in a market where fans support crappy teams, year after year, no matter what. An exceptionally loyal fan base has to make it much easier for him to be successful.

I think that his responsiveness to the "voice of the customer" and improving the Ralph and fan experience is good, but this would seem to be a basic expectation for someone in that role. Also, the league sets / mandates minimum stadium amenities / conditions, so I'm sure these played into the effort to upgrade.

I'm guessing, but I think that he tightly controls the content / tone of the Bills website, through which he's expertly sold false hope for the last decade or so. For this reason, I'm skeptical regarding his real business acumen, versus being a really good salesman.

Finally, It seems like he was the ultimate yes man to Ralph, protecting his place / power, by never advocating for a strong football man to come in and run the football ops side.

Admittedly, my perception isn't based on a lot of facts; so, if someone can help with examples to support his greatness, please share.

Where does he go to work in the morning?

Also, does he change his tie based on which team he is overseeing at that moment?

All kidding aside, that is a LOT of responsibility. But by all accounts he is a great executive so that's good news!

It's all about the lapel pin. Maybe a lapel pin with that logo sold by all the bootleg Tshirt vendors with a charging Bills logo inside the Sabres logo.

I thought he tried to make himself available to the fans as much or more than any other exec in recent times. That's a plus in my book. What he was responsible for was those 3rd jerseys. I mean, that's a fireable offense!!

I don't think any of this was arrogance. He gave as much as he got with the BN which is fine in my book.

Fair points. I didn't know of Black's admirable availability, as some have now referenced. But his turd-burger 3rd jersey, and his subsequent coining of the term "jersey fatigue" went over with the Buffalo market like a fart in church.

Let's be honest, we are still in the dark ages of "success on the field of play" in both franchises. Both had tough jobs selling hope with year after year of inferior results. Russ is just far better at it than Black proved to be. So they give Russ half (or whatever) of what Black made, and forge ahead with their OneBuffalo empire. Quite shrewd, actually.

Throughout these 4 pages of posts, very little is provided regarding specific examples of Russ' accomplishments, good or bad. Plenty of opinion, but concrete examples of what he does that makes him really good or great aren't available.

In the absence of examples, I keep coming back to the fact that he's fortunate to work with teams in a market where fans support crappy teams, year after year, no matter what. An exceptionally loyal fan base has to make it much easier for him to be successful.

I think that his responsiveness to the "voice of the customer" and improving the Ralph and fan experience is good, but this would seem to be a basic expectation for someone in that role. Also, the league sets / mandates minimum stadium amenities / conditions, so I'm sure these played into the effort to upgrade.

I'm guessing, but I think that he tightly controls the content / tone of the Bills website, through which he's expertly sold false hope for the last decade or so. For this reason, I'm skeptical regarding his real business acumen, versus being a really good salesman.

Finally, It seems like he was the ultimate yes man to Ralph, protecting his place / power, by never advocating for a strong football man to come in and run the football ops side.

Admittedly, my perception isn't based on a lot of facts; so, if someone can help with examples to support his greatness, please share.

For someone pointing out the lack of facts in this thread, there's a lot of speculation in this post as well. FWIW, I remember some reports indicating Russ would be in demand if he was let loose during the ownership change. His stature has grown outside of Buffalo, most likely as a result of him representing the franchise in a positive manner during league meetings.

Fair points. I didn't know of Black's admirable availability, as some have now referenced. But his turd-burger 3rd jersey, and his subsequent coining of the term "jersey fatigue" went over with the Buffalo market like a fart in church.

Let's be honest, we are still in the dark ages of "success on the field of play" in both franchises. Both had tough jobs selling hope with year after year of inferior results. Russ is just far better at it than Black proved to be. So they give Russ half (or whatever) of what Black made, and forge ahead with their OneBuffalo empire. Quite shrewd, actually.

Good points. I actually liked the Sabres' "handbooks" they sent out to season ticket holders. Literally little booklets of hope.

Edited by stony

image_display_image.jpg?1274314703

Brandon has done a great job of marketing the Bills as well as the business side of the team, but he was terrible when it came to hiring coaches, management, and players. Just as long as Brandon stays on the marketing/business side, then things will be good.

Congrats Russ - I'll polish up my resume for when the Bills are ready to refill the "marketing guy" coffers.

My goal is to get a job with the Bills that gives me enough visibility that everyone on TBD hates the job I'm doing, regardless if they know or understand the job I'm doing! :beer:

Congrats Russ - I'll polish up my resume for when the Bills are ready to refill the "marketing guy" coffers.

My goal is to get a job with the Bills that gives me enough visibility that everyone on TBD hates the job I'm doing, regardless if they know or understand the job I'm doing! :beer:

I'll drink to that!!

I forgot about the prospects game too. Almost 18,000 for a scrimmage game in July for the worst team in the NHL... and you had to pay for tickets.

I just hope the media's narrative doesnt continue to be that Black was screwing the pooch. It seems its just their grand One Buffalo structure coming into reality, and Brandon is the man they want for the job and there is no room for Black under the new structure.

All I Need is Hope,

A couple of examples I can think of with Brandon are:

• He moved training camp from Fredonia to Rochester which improved ticket sales from the Rochester area
  • The Toronto series (as painful as it was) improved ticket sales from Southern Ontario
  • Brandon was heavily involved in the 10 year iron-clad lease between Ralph Wilson Stadium and Erie County making it virtually impossible to move the Bills in case the team was sold to a bidder that wanted to move the team outside of WNY
  • Brandon was heavily involved in the sale of the team and the strict stipulations involved in the sale

All I Need is Hope,

• He moved training camp from Fredonia to Rochester which improved ticket sales from the Rochester area
  • The Toronto series (as painful as it was) improved ticket sales from Southern Ontario
  • Brandon was heavily involved in the 10 year iron-clad lease between Ralph Wilson Stadium and Erie County making it virtually impossible to move the Bills in case the team was sold to a bidder that wanted to move the team outside of WNY
  • Brandon was heavily involved in the sale of the team and the strict stipulations involved in the sale

But the Bills suck!! He's obvously terrible. Obviously. :nana:

You hit on a few. If you look at the Bills sponsorship revenue and nonshared revenue compared to other markets (especially during Toronto series) it is quite impressive. The WNY market has many challenges when it comes to sponsorship (are there any fortune 500 companies)? In order to keep up with the rest of the league you need to be able to generate nonshared revenue in a stadium that doesn't lend itself to that. There aren't a lot of assets that they can slap a sponsors name on and collect a 6-7 figure check for. IMO, that is without question his greatest attribute. This is the result of regionalization and engraining himself in the business community.

Great at marketing. Really bad at player decisions so I don't know how to feel about this.

HE NEVER MADE ANY!!!!!

All I Need is Hope,

Pegula also publicly applauded Russ's roll in the last head coaching search. He's well thought of (except by TBD)...

Edited by stony

Some guys are just in the right place, right time. I see Brandon as the ultimate bungler, largely responsible for the Bills' non-playoff history. But he lucked into lining up with two owners who see him as a bright businessman and that's all that counts.

Luck>talent, I guess..

Ill informed.

Some guys are just in the right place, right time. I see Brandon as the ultimate bungler, largely responsible for the Bills' non-playoff history. But he lucked into lining up with two owners who see him as a bright businessman and that's all that counts.

Luck>talent, I guess..

Get better glasses. Russ Brandon never wanted to be in charge of personnel. He has turned the Bills into an incredibly well run organization and is being rewarded for that.

No posters on this board know what is going on with the Bills finances, and on top of that they shouldn't care. So long as Brandon isn't filling out the rosters who cares that his bosses have been happy with him? Good for Brandon. His job was to make his boss happy and his boss said he was good at it.

Great at marketing. Really bad at player decisions so I don't know how to feel about this.

Brandon never made a unilateral player decision in his life. Always deferred personnel decisions to those who knew best.

GO BILLS!!!

Luck>talent, I guess..

Wow. You don't have much faith in Pegula's business acumen!

Yep, Terry grew a multibillion dollar business from nothing because he's poor at evaluating the business acumen of the people in his organizations.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Does Russ Brandon even think Russ Brandon made good football decisons? I'm sure if you asked him honestly, and off the record, he'd say no.

That is an interesting way of looking at it. The football decision that he made was empowering Modrak and Guy to make football decisions. That definitely did not work out well.

That is an interesting way of looking at it. The football decision that he made was empowering Modrak and Guy to make football decisions. That definitely did not work out well.

And Marv and Jauron and Buddy and Gailey and Whaley.

GO BILLS!!!

All I Need is Hope,

The Toronto series (as painful as it was) improved ticket sales from Southern Ontario

We've reached the point where we're now lauding RB for the Toronto series? I definitely feel like I've landed in Jonestown.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm in sales and if I need to come down 5% for a strategic reason I have to run it by my boss. He's not a salesman and his talent isn't diagnosing what all goes into what's needed to get an order - that's what they pay me to do. But I do have to explain myself to him so that he can approve of my analysis. I think it's perfectly legitimate for everyone under Russ to do the work and on big happenings he's involved.

My boss and I work as a team - he trusts me to understand situations and only give up profit when it's strategically needed. It's important he knows so he can one answer any questions if our owner looks at the sale - and it gives me an opportunity to prove that I'm capable of understanding situations to build trust with my boss. I don't just need him to count the order totals and work on the layouts of our brochures.

Not the correct analogy. I'm assuming that you sell your company's product, over which you don't have much say in development and manufacturing. So your decision is to structure the best deal that will make both you and the customer happy with the outcome. You run the sales proposal by the boss to make sure that it fits the company's RoI.

That's different from Brandon making the determination on the roster decisions to drum up ticket sales. It would be like your boss, without sales experience telling you who to sell for and for how much.

Of course he's going to get involved in high level discussions about the Bills & Sabres operations. I hope he'll be less involved in the roster decisions, like dialing other teams when they were looking to complete the Watkins trade.

Not the correct analogy. I'm assuming that you sell your company's product, over which you don't have much say in development and manufacturing. So your decision is to structure the best deal that will make both you and the customer happy with the outcome. You run the sales proposal by the boss to make sure that it fits the company's RoI.

That's different from Brandon making the determination on the roster decisions to drum up ticket sales. It would be like your boss, without sales experience telling you who to sell for and for how much.

Of course he's going to get involved in high level discussions about the Bills & Sabres operations. I hope he'll be less involved in the roster decisions, like dialing other teams when they were looking to complete the Watkins trade.

In my time I have never seen a president do this (and I worked in an organization where the GM and coach reported to the president). Sales decisions and personnel decisions are independent of one another. The president's job (and other sales leaders) is to sell the product that they are given. People for some reason have a hard time separating the two but the business people respond and react to the football decisions that are made. The dog wags the tail not the other way around despite what some here seem to believe.

In my time I have never seen a president do this (and I worked in an organization where the GM and coach reported to the president). Sales decisions and personnel decisions are independent of one another. The president's job (and other sales leaders) is to sell the product that they are given. People for some reason have a hard time separating the two but the business people respond and react to the football decisions that are made. The dog wags the tail not the other way around despite what some here seem to believe.

Whose decision was the TO signing?

Whose decision was the TO signing?

Ultimately, it was Jauron's. But this is a great example of Brandon seeking consensus on a personnel decision. He ran it up the flagpole in Detroit and Buffalo and made sure everyone saluted it.

GO BILLS!!!