Ted Black out: Russ Brandon to head Sabres and Bills

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news release says GMTM reports directly to the Pegulas, and not to Brandon. That's OK if that's what they want, but it seems that this arrangement could lead to power struggles. Or it could work out just fine if there's clear delineation about which guy does which jobs.

My real fear is that the reason Brandon works so well with the Bills is immersion and commitment to the organization. How will he keep that up and do the same thing with the Sabres? Sounds like burn-out is in his future.

The news release says GMTM reports directly to the Pegulas, and not to Brandon. That's OK if that's what they want, but it seems that this arrangement could lead to power struggles. Or it could work out just fine if there's clear delineation about which guy does which jobs.

My real fear is that the reason Brandon works so well with the Bills is immersion and commitment to the organization. How will he keep that up and do the same thing with the Sabres? Sounds like burn-out is in his future.

There is a clear line drawn between the on-ice/on-field side and the franchise business management side. Been that way for a while with the Bills and Im sure the same will happen with the Sabres now that they have a GM they are confident in.

As for your other concern, Marketing the Sabres and Bills in Buffalo is at most a 4hour/week job. Are the teams still here? Yes? Ok, tickets will sell. For Brandon, it's about being a good leader at the top. the rest will take care of itself.

Edited by DrDareustein

Isn't this the case with Rex too?

Isn't this the case with Rex too?

yep. Makes sense they would have consistent reporting structures.

He hasnt made roster decisions in at least 4 years.

but.. But remember that high five he gave Whaley in the draft room when they got Watkins? Doomed IMO.

Some guys are just in the right place, right time. I see Brandon as the ultimate bungler, largely responsible for the Bills' non-playoff history. But he lucked into lining up with two owners who see him as a bright businessman and that's all that counts.

Luck>talent, I guess..

Some guys are just in the right place, right time. I see Brandon as the ultimate bungler, largely responsible for the Bills' non-playoff history. But he lucked into lining up with two owners who see him as a bright businessman and that's all that counts.

Luck>talent, I guess..

actually, just the opposite, Russ is brilliant and very deserving.

Luck>talent, I guess..

You guess wrong. About almost everything in your entire post.

I've been very pleased with how isolated Russ has been from football operations since Rex came on board. He's not much more than a glorified marketing exec at this point, and if he wants to do that with the Sabres, that's fine by me.

Luck>talent, I guess..

This is just wrong. It's been beaten to death on here but he is an incredibly well respected sports business executive. This is the natural next step and a really strong move by the Pegula's. They have one of the most respected sports business professionals in the world heading up their booming sports empire.

You guess wrong. About almost everything in your entire post.

The Bills being competitive is the exception in their history and each time it happened it was through fortunate circumstance and followed shortly thereafter by ownership chasing those responsible for the success out of town over money, control or both.

Im bummed out. Really liked Ted Black. Was a straight shooter, would take a beating if things didnt go well... and felt like one of us. I also think as a fan, I feel like Im treated very well as a Sabres STH.

Seems like a nice guy but just an inferior executive. It's never good to see people lose their jobs but it's always good to see your team improving.

The Bills being competitive is the exception in their history and each time it happened it was through fortunate circumstance and followed shortly thereafter by ownership chasing those responsible for the success out of town over money, control or both.

Truth!

Seems like a nice guy but just an inferior executive. It's never good to see people lose their jobs but it's always good to see your team improving.

you know my opinions of Brandon by now....

But for this, there is just no real information on the structure, what was apparently happening behind the scenes, etc to really form an opinion other than feel bad for Black because he is a very nice guy. (Also from my standpoint, the Sabres seem to be doing just fine in terms of fan interest/engagement). The Pegulas have some sort of vision (although I'm growing a bit weary of these major changes in direction that seem to happen every 6 months or so with their sports franchise) and they feel that Brandon can/will get them there.

Luck>talent, I guess..

Sure, yea, right. Here's a guy who is really competent at what he does but the endgame of the franchise has been incompetent so Brandon must be responsible for everything and actually sucks at his job. Brilliant! Maybe we'll just cut Mario, Kyle, Hughes, and let Dareus walk if we don't make the playoffs because they're arguably the best D-line in the league so it's their fault.

This is very good news because this moves Brandon further away from the roster decisions

I couldn't disagree more. I'm in sales and if I need to come down 5% for a strategic reason I have to run it by my boss. He's not a salesman and his talent isn't diagnosing what all goes into what's needed to get an order - that's what they pay me to do. But I do have to explain myself to him so that he can approve of my analysis. I think it's perfectly legitimate for everyone under Russ to do the work and on big happenings he's involved.

My boss and I work as a team - he trusts me to understand situations and only give up profit when it's strategically needed. It's important he knows so he can one answer any questions if our owner looks at the sale - and it gives me an opportunity to prove that I'm capable of understanding situations to build trust with my boss. I don't just need him to count the order totals and work on the layouts of our brochures.

But for this, there is just no real information on the structure, what was apparently happening behind the scenes, etc to really form an opinion other than feel bad for Black because he is a very nice guy. (Also from my standpoint, the Sabres seem to be doing just fine in terms of fan interest/engagement). The Pegulas have some sort of vision (although I'm growing a bit weary of these major changes in direction that seem to happen every 6 months or so with their sports franchise) and they feel that Brandon can/will get them there.

The Sabres social media and game presentations are total crap. In terms of fan engagement, those two things can go a long way in making a team that's not do fun on the ice more palatable. If he had any say whatsoever in the direction those have gone in the Pegula era, I won't miss him a bit.

The Pegulas have some sort of vision (although I'm growing a bit weary of these major changes in direction that seem to happen every 6 months or so with their sports franchise) and they feel that Brandon can/will get them there.

I trust Terry and Kim's judgement. I mean, Terry can't possibly amass a multi-billion dollar fracking empire without some very keen business sense and very good judgement on people, project management & leadership skills.

Black worked for them for several years, and relations between the Sabres and the press were contentious at best. Much of it was petty & unprofessional on both ends; I don't just chalk it up to being in last place for 2 years. Brandon leaves an impression, and the Pegulas ultimately decide they want better for the hockey wing of #OneBuffalo.

Black came across as an arrogant douche.

the team has been the worst in franchise history. NHL is generally boring now. There is almost no way the Sabres could have generated a lot of in-arena excitement... especially in light that everyone wanted them to lose.

The Bills' presentation is awful too. The only saving grace is you have 63,000 drunken blue collars.

Look at the combine. That is something the Sabres procured... and also revolutionized the format and got rave reviews from all involved. 2016 NHL Draft they got. Telecasts have improved a ton. They have responded and acted on many fan initiated suggestions in and around the arena... and maintained a strong and hungry fan-base despite being really bad for a long time.

Edited by May Day 10

I happen to agree with the decision. Having worked in sports for about a decade I have a lot of contacts and greatly value the opinions of some. People that I respected always spoke very, very highly of Russ. If he was ever let go he would have had 5 president offers immediately. No one ever said that about Black. He was a nice guy but just not on the same level when it comes to sports business. It didn't take the Pegulas long to recognize this.

I've been saying this in here for years but often fell on deaf ears. The people that trash Russ really have no idea what his job is/was. The people closest to him (RW and the Pegulas) have done nothing but move him up. Those are brilliant business people that recognize a strong business mind. This isn't by mistake or because he has pictures or any of the other ridiculous thoughts on here. His career has continued to grow because he is one of the best in the world at what he does.

the team has been the worst in franchise history. NHL is generally boring now. There is almost no way the Sabres could have generated a lot of in-arena excitement... especially in light that everyone wanted them to lose.

The Bills' presentation is awful too. The only saving grace is you have 63,000 drunken blue collars.

Look at the combine. That is something the Sabres procured... and also revolutionized the format and got rave reviews from all involved. 2016 NHL Draft they got. Telecasts have improved a ton. They have responded and acted on many fan initiated suggestions in and around the arena... and maintained a strong and hungry fan-base despite being really bad for a long time.

The key thing missing is, "did they maximize their revenue potential?" That is the most important thing in this role. If the answer is no (which I presume it to be) the change was made. The Sabres haven't been able to maximize sponsorship dollars at the same rate as the Bills. I'm not talking dollar for dollar either but they haven't been able to get the rate that they should for certain assets. That is why Russ (and much of his team) will be taking that part over.

Im bummed out. Really liked Ted Black. Was a straight shooter, would take a beating if things didnt go well... and felt like one of us. I also think as a fan, I feel like Im treated very well as a Sabres STH.

the most noticeable difference between the two...

Ted Black spoke in easily understood ways and answered questions more directly.

Russ is more corporate speak and guarded.

I trust Terry and Kim's judgement. I mean, Terry can't possibly amass a multi-billion dollar fracking empire without some very keen business sense and very good judgement on people, project management & leadership skills.

Black worked for them for several years, and relations between the Sabres and the press were contentious at best. Much of it was petty & unprofessional on both ends; I don't just chalk it up to being in last place for 2 years. Brandon leaves an impression, and the Pegulas ultimately decide they want better for the hockey wing of #OneBuffalo.

Black came across as an arrogant douche.

I thought he tried to make himself available to the fans as much or more than any other exec in recent times. That's a plus in my book. What he was responsible for was those 3rd jerseys. I mean, that's a fireable offense!!

I don't think any of this was arrogance. He gave as much as he got with the BN which is fine in my book.

I happen to agree with the decision. Having worked in sports for about a decade I have a lot of contacts and greatly value the opinions of some. People that I respected always spoke very, very highly of Russ. If he was ever let go he would have had 5 president offers immediately. No one ever said that about Black. He was a nice guy but just not on the same level when it comes to sports business. It didn't take the Pegulas long to recognize this.

I've been saying this in here for years but often fell on deaf ears. The people that trash Russ really have no idea what his job is/was. The people closest to him (RW and the Pegulas) have done nothing but move him up. Those are brilliant business people that recognize a strong business mind. This isn't by mistake or because he has pictures or any of the other ridiculous thoughts on here. His career has continued to grow because he is one of the best in the world at what he does.

The key thing missing is, "did they maximize their revenue potential?" That is the most important thing in this role. If the answer is no (which I presume it to be) the change was made. The Sabres haven't been able to maximize sponsorship dollars at the same rate as the Bills. I'm not talking dollar for dollar either but they haven't been able to get the rate that they should for certain assets. That is why Russ (and much of his team) will be taking that part over.

I wonder what the story is... Im sure it isnt 'just' maximizing revenue. the Pegulas seem like they would prefer to be loyal to a good guy and someone the fans like/relate to and 'maxing out' at revenue +1 is not the most important thing. Just look at the out-of-pocket improvements at the arena and the willingness to buy players out. The combine by design was also a money-loser and basically money invested to expose up and coming prospects to Buffalo in the summertime.

Its likely that either the Sabres are missing the mark by a ton and screwing the pooch (I dont believe that to be true)... or the Pegulas have their entire vision and 'chose' and believe in Brandon to execute that vision over Black... and Black was not willing to take a back-seat and they signed a severance.

I wonder what the story is... Im sure it isnt 'just' maximizing revenue. the Pegulas seem like they would prefer to be loyal to a good guy and someone the fans like/relate to and 'maxing out' at revenue +1 is not the most important thing. Just look at the out-of-pocket improvements at the arena and the willingness to buy players out. The combine by design was also a money-loser and basically money invested to expose up and coming prospects to Buffalo in the summertime.

Its likely that either the Sabres are missing the mark by a ton and screwing the pooch (I dont believe that to be true)... or the Pegulas have their entire vision and 'chose' and believe in Brandon to execute that vision over Black... and Black was not willing to take a back-seat and they signed a severance.

That is exactly why I say that people misunderstood RB. That is the president's job. He is the first person to carry out the owner's wishes. That is who he is responsible to. Think of the president like you would think of a caddie on the PGA tour with the owner as the golfer. The caddie is there guiding (and often driving) decisions that he believes are in the owners best interest. When an issue arises (a fan snaps a picture or the team is falling short of their competitors in revenue) the president has to step in and be the bad guy. They have to make the unpopular decisions sometimes and look like the jerk. In reality, they are protecting the owners interests and insulating the owners from being the bad guy.